THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Jul 2024, 20:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons to Intall Vista  (Read 9255 times)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Reasons to Intall Vista
« on: 26 Jun 2007, 14:25 »

So I got an HP laptop for Christmas, and they had that "free vista upgrade" thing going on. So, a while back, I sent off for it and it just came in the mail. My original plan was to wait until updates start rolling in. But I'm also curious about vista, so I don't know now. I know the reasons why NOT to use Vista, someone tell me some reasons to use it that aren't just "It has DirectX 10". I'm not the biggest pc gamer, so thats low on the totem pole.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Re: Reasons to Intall Vista
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2007, 14:27 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2007, 14:32 »

Ignore mberan, he's totally wrong.
kubuntu 7.04 is where it's at.

I actually just the other day formatted my Vista partition and expanded my Linux partition.
There are genuinely no reasons that I can think of to have Vista, other than, possibly, to boast about having Vista to people who don't know how pointless it is. It just doesn't have any advantages over XP, except a prettier interface. And if I pretty interface is what you want, I've already mentioned kubuntu, which has a much more customisable GUI (kde if you don't know, which I prefer over ubuntu's GUI, gnome) than Vista, and since you're not bothered about gaming, there is no drawback to having it.

edit: I just realised I didn't really say any reasons that you should upgrade to Vista. That's because, and I can't stress this enough, there aren't any.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2007, 14:33 by schimmy »

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2007, 14:55 »

Hey, man... I'm trying out Linux for the first time ever. Give me a break!
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Unosuke

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2007, 15:09 »

ubuntu you say, hrm. Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2007, 15:26 »

Ubuntu is a great distro to start with if you've not used Linux before. It's really easy to use, and it's free. Plus, you can have it and Vista on your laptop until you decide which one you prefer, if you end up wanting to choose one at all.

Scytale

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:04 »

I use Fedora (another Linux Distribution) but yeah Ubuntu is pretty cool (though not as bleeding edge, which may or may not be such a bad thing).

As far as KDE vs Gnome, most windows users prefer KDE (which means Kubuntu), but to be honest they are both pretty easy to use (I have both installed along with XFCE, a pretty stripped down desktop). KDE 4 comes out in about 3 months, should be pretty awesome when it arrives, whole new multimedia framework, faster response times, smoother widgets etc...

hypeserver

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2007, 17:03 »

Reason to install Vista now that's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

rasufelle

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2007, 18:51 »

Trying to find a reason to install Vista is like trying to find someone with an impossibly rare STD.  You can probably do it, but it's a dumbass thing to do.

A friend of mine has a compy that he had 'borrowed' XP on.  He had to get a new OS when Microsatan caught it, so he decided to do the 'good' thing and upgrade to Vista.  On a computer with over a gig of RAM, Vista eats over 70 % of his resources.  In his words:

'On XP Oblivion ran at like 60 FPS.  On Vista I'm gettin' maybe 12.'

hypeserver

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2007, 06:23 »

Alright I'll cut vista some slack I actually run it on my computer I like it but was just making a joke about how the posts after mine were all going to go down.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:19 »

When you alt-tab you can make it so the windows like fly around in 3D and stuff as you flip between them. If Neo saw that shit he would be all like, "no way!"

hypeserver

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2007, 08:33 »

When you alt-tab you can make it so the windows like fly around in 3D and stuff as you flip between them. If Neo saw that shit he would be all like, "no way!"
It's the worst feature in vista and the fact it doesn't come in vista basic is so damned funny I think steve jobes started to cry of laughter. I like vistas search in the main menu no more clicking you'd be surprised how much this feature is better and I like the games browser as well.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2007, 10:13 »

Inkball?

Jarwy

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2007, 20:44 »

There are reasons?

I suppose if you want...

- to cut your general performance
- to try out those new cool Beta drivers for "just about everything"
- to be able to crash more often
- to pay a small fortune
- to drink more coffee! (hey, maintenance and puzzling takes its time and Vista offers twice the fun)

... this list can be extended forever and ever. New bugs are created everyday!

coldie

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2007, 22:01 »

If you still keep your copy of XP, I think you might as well install Vista to have a play with and decide for yourself. I had it running on my desktop for quite a while, and the only thing I found advantageous to XP is that DirectX is now nicely multithreaded. Aero got old quickly, and the search functionality doesn't compare to Spotlight on the Mac (which I am now a total slave to).

Hmm... You also appear to be able to resize partitions in the disk manager, which I think is new. Oh yeah, it also has packet writing UDF for DVDs which is neat if you have a stack of DVDRWs and are indecisive. And the "restore versions" stuff is neat but I didn't use it once. Compatibility sucked for a while and is getting better, but it feels just like the early days of XP when everyone was still "no way man, XP is just 2000 with more bloat".

Same deal now. I reckon once it's been force-fed through OEMs and Microsoft coerces more ISVs to play the "Only on Vista" game there will be more reasons to upgrade.

But hey, if it's free, I'd take it and keep running XP until I find a truly convincing reason to upgrade (although I'm thinking that might not happen until XP gets EOL'd).

Heh, I'm totally pwning the acronyms today.

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2007, 22:12 »

Yeah the only reason I can think of under normal awesome computer circumstances is DX10, and DX10 cards are rediculously fucking expensive and no games take advantage of that yet, plus you're on a laptop anywho. I'd have to say Vista is worth shit to you.

pirateboy

« Reply #16 on: 02 Jul 2007, 05:05 »

I used vista on a friends computer recently, it made me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.

I really don't want to fall into the 'mac or pc' debate, but if you're not a gamer, and you want a better interface, get a mac fo sho.

I'd recommend Linux or something, but I'm not smart enough to run it.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jul 2007, 12:16 »

I really don't want to fall into the 'mac or pc' debate, but (does so anyway)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #18 on: 02 Jul 2007, 20:24 »

There are NO reasons to install Vista.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jul 2007, 02:22 »

I suppose if you've got dangerously low blood pressure and need it raising?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jul 2007, 08:28 »

Well, maybe then.  But your blood pressure could be raised to dangerously high levels by installing Vista.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jul 2007, 01:44 »

I kinda like Vista. It's nice when you have 2GB RAM.

What?

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #22 on: 04 Jul 2007, 02:35 »

..... your a Microsoft employee aren't you, and you're being payed to go around promoting vista on the net. There is no other explanation for what you just said.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #23 on: 04 Jul 2007, 08:02 »

Man, linux guys and new OS doomsayers need to lighten the hell up.  Heather runs Vista and apart from a few little hassles here and there she seems happy with it.  It actually has a lot of good points, it's just taking a long time for driver support to hit critical mass due to slow uptake of the OS through OEM channels.

Unosuke

« Reply #24 on: 04 Jul 2007, 08:52 »

I've decided that the next computer I buy will be a mac, but that won't be for a few years, so i guess i'll stick with XP untill drivers and updates start rolling in for Vista.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jul 2007, 08:33 »

I've run at different points in time several popular Unix OS's, all of Microsofts, and all of Apple's.  IMO, for simplicity and familiarity -- I'd use Windows XP.  Vista is nice to look at . . almost to the point where it seems childish.  There really aren't too many reasons to use Vista over XP aside from the interface . . which in my opinion, Unix OSs provide a superior one.  This brings me to my next point . . . Vista drivers are about on par with Unix drivers, which is really the only reason I don't always use Unix distros. That being said, I'd use Ubuntu. :)

The next computer I'll buy is an Apple Tablet-PC . . they're not official . . but google it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2007, 17:23 »

We just bought a new computer, and although I'm not using it right now because all of our stuff hasn't been transferred to it just yet, the limited experience I've had with Vista has been just fine.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jul 2007, 19:22 »

An ex microsoft friend of mine has vista, used it for a few weeks, tweaked it to perform well then wiped and installed XP. He is the kind of knowledgable guy you trust and go to for pc advice. A new SP for vista is released in August I think, but I personally am not upgrading until I have a solid reason.

Truth be told, if you need to ask for a reason you do not have one.

Ubuntu scares new to *nix people off even though it is "simple" and "intuitive". Personal preferance (I personally HATE ubuntu) pizzapup for playing around with, not having to worry about 2 hour installs when/if you mess up. I use suse so I cannot really comment though.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jul 2007, 22:37 »

Personally, I'm liking Vista just fine. I do have to admit though that XP is a better option just for the simple fact it's a fully mature OS. After the first SP for Vista I don't think there's any reason not to upgrade except being stubborn and/or cheap.

Or just lazy. Lazy works too.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jul 2007, 18:51 »

Vista has a cool new version of Minesweeper.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2007, 22:01 »

An ex microsoft friend of mine has vista, used it for a few weeks, tweaked it to perform well then wiped and installed XP.

This makes me wonder. Just how much can you pare down Vista for efficiency, via tweaking, disabling, etc? Is it possible to get something approaching XP? Kind of like how I used to save friends' WinME computers just by disabling all the crap it wanted to load at startup?

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2007, 09:12 »

Unlikely you could get it all the way; the new display model, while much more powerful (hooray for finally getting rid of XP's abysmal redraw behavior!), is inherently going to be slower.
Pages: [1]   Go Up