THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 10:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM GOING TO CRY  (Read 18082 times)

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Re: I AM GOING TO CRY
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jun 2007, 19:08 »

Surely.  But without a broad spectrum of my opinions, one cannot form much of an opinion about my opinions.

Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jun 2007, 19:17 »

Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #52 on: 26 Jun 2007, 20:00 »

I actually like Meat Loaf. Well, that's a lie. I like Bat Out Of Hell. It's a fun, catchy record.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #53 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:43 »

Thus, people who consider the Smashing Pumpkins to be worthy of attention, may well agree with your estimation of Slint. Those who take the opposing view may choose otherwise.

But I still don't understand why.  Smashing Pumpkins (aside from Gish) are a mainstream rock band.  What does the fact that I think they had some redeeming songs have to do with Slint?  If you want even more context, I haven't listened to a Smashing Pumpkins album, or even owned one, for nearly a decade (aside from downloading Gish the other day).  Until a few weeks ago, I probably hadn't intentionally listened to anything from Mellon Collie since 1995.

If that still counts as me thinking them "worthy of attention", uh, okay.

I think I just have a much more open mind for music than most people.  It's not even as intellectual as thinking something is "worthy" of attention.  It's just a matter of forming opinions on music I have heard.

I just am not a fan of judging someone's opinion of one thing based on what they think about another thing.  I have a friend who likes Mindless Self Indulgence; he also likes Joy Division.  I don't think that his appreciation for one band I think is terrible affects his judgement on another, completely different band.

I'm pretty sure it's an oversimplification to say "If you and someone else like X then you'll probably agree on Y."  Gregs said Adore is a great album yet also loves Spiderland, right?

I don't know, maybe things are different in your social circle or age bracket or whatever, but everyone I know that I talk about music with in real life has an unique perspective on every band; it never comes up to say "Well, since you like this band I consider crappy, I think your opinion on this totally different band carries less weight."

It'd be one thing if I said something like "Tool are better than Slint", since there are definite similarities between those bands.  If someone said that, I'd be a little suspect of their taste.  But this whole thing sounds an awful lot like you're pulling the old "Stones or Beatles" nonsense.

In conclusion: Apples and oranges, man.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #54 on: 27 Jun 2007, 05:04 »

Uh, Tool are better than Slint.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #55 on: 27 Jun 2007, 05:55 »

And the thread is over.

Good work, folks.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #56 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:14 »

EDIT:  The post I responded to removed, debate called on account of rain, first round's on tommy (I'll be having a Guiness, thanks); but I still want to leave up the link to this article because, well, I just like it.  It doesn't have much to do with the thread.

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/old-ft/nylpm/2002/07/andrew-wk-i-get-wet-pitchfork-review/
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2007, 08:36 by zerodrone »

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #57 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:25 »

Okay, I found that Slint track I reviewed and gave it another listen. Its really dull (manages to miss hypnotic with its repetitive rhythm, and has no real sense of going anywhere) and the production, particularly the drums, is absolutely hateful. Apart from that not so bad I suppose. There are a few nice bits of guitar in there. Not a band, as I previously decided, I would waste much time on though.

This answer satisfies me.  I was not looking to have an argument with Khar.  I am just trying to figure out what makes him like or dislike music so I can hopefully at some point predict beforehand whether or not he will like a song.  Is it such a crime to study people?
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Felix_

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jun 2007, 14:10 »

Uh, Tool are better than Slint.

I couldn't agree more, and I'm not really even a Tool fan.
 :-D

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #59 on: 27 Jun 2007, 15:38 »

Is it such a crime to study people?

Only if you do it from the bushes outside their bedroom window.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up