THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flaming Lips Touring.  (Read 3125 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Flaming Lips Touring.
« on: 26 Jun 2007, 20:52 »

I am sad. I was in belgium too early to catch their show and I will be in scotland too late.

This is perhaps the one band I want to see ever, and they're making it extremely difficult for me.

Is their touring just sporadic? or is there reason behind the madness?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Chill

Re: Flaming Lips Touring.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2007, 00:56 »

flaming lips are up and down for me, i love them sometimes and i hate them other times, I cannot comment on their touring though, as i am not in the band
turn it on = my fav song

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2007, 02:19 »

I was in belgium too early to catch their show and I will be in scotland too late.

The closest show to me is on my grandfather's birthday. I'd like to catch them in Colorado, but thats a 1500 mile drive each way.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:14 »

Can we officially agree that they're past their prime, at the very least?? I mean, their live act is famous more for the atmosphere and theatrics than the music itself. What's more, At War With The Mystics was a decidedly OK album. Not bad, not really good, either. Whether or not you like their albums before that, at least they sounded different from each other. Mystics was the first time they sounded like a band treading water, which is never a good sign.

Per Drozd using heroin: I wonder if Wayne Coyne is waiting to finish filming Christmas On Mars when he starts using again, in order to make sure his character looks the same even though the scenes were shot over a number of years.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:56 »

guys are you pumped to pay $80 a ticket for a band far past their prime?

I SURE AM
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2007, 10:24 »

Actually Christmas On Mars really truly is finished now.  Really.  Srsly.

I actually liked Mystics a bit more than Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin.  But as I have said a million times, their prime was Clouds Taste Metallic.  Actually everything between 1990 and 1995 was their prime.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2007, 17:43 »

Something about Clouds Taste Metallic has never sat right with me. It's a good album, but some of the songs I can't tell if I love them or think they're retarded and lame. A song like Christmas At The Zoo or whatever it's called, I remember listening to it and thinking it might be a cover of a Weird Al song.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2007, 18:02 »

Oh man, "Christmas at the Zoo" is classic.  Not my favorite on the album, but it's sweet.  Or maybe you're thinking of "This Here Giraffe"?  That one is kinda goofy, yeah.

Clouds just has such energy.  "Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus With Needles" may be the most rocking thing they ever did, or possibly "Lightning Strikes the Postman" (when I saw them do the latter live, it was explosive).  "Evil Will Prevail", "They Punctured My Yolk", "The Abandoned Hospital Ship" and "Bad Days" do a perfect job of capturing their softer side.

I'm blaming their decline in quality afterwards on the departure of Ronald Jones.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2007, 20:41 »

Didn't we have this discussion recently and conclude that Zaireeka is the best?
Pages: [1]   Go Up