THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 21:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantastic Four 2: Rise of The Surfer  (Read 10974 times)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of The Surfer
« on: 21 Jun 2007, 02:29 »

I did several searches and haven't found anything but if I'm wrong we can ignore this one and use the old thread.

Is anyone stupid enough to see this movie? I know I am. In fact I'm making plans to go see it next week. Nobody will go with me which is unsuprising at best so I'm going by myself.
I actually enjoyed the first one (albeit on an ironic/kitsch level) so I can't imagine that this one will be much worse.
So, anyone willing to brave the unpleasentness that is a sequel to what is, I'm assuming, widely regarded as a really fucking awful-on-every-conceivable-level film?

Anyone?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

wm_star

Re: Fantastic Four 2: Rise of The Surfer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2007, 04:51 »

Okay - I totally and completely loved the first one.  I thought it was a lot of fun and it did NOT take itself seriously which was refreshing for a change in the world of super-hero movies.  I hated all of the bad press it got because I thought it was unfounded.  The movie was FUN which is what a movie is supposed to be.  The only thing I didn't like about the first one was the actor playing Dr. Doom.  Instead of coming off as a scary psychopath, he came off as more of a pissed off executive bureaucrat, which was kind of boring.

My husband loved the first one too, and so we went to see FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer last weekend.  IT WAS SO AWESOME.  So much better than the 1st, even for those of us who enjoyed the 1st.  Silver Surfer as a character was pretty cool, and Galactus was pretty damn scary.  And though the same actor was back as Dr. Doom, either the script or the direction improved, and he was a bit more of the scary psychopath.  It's not exactly in line with the original comic book storyline, but since the comics were written in the '60s and that storyline was pretty damn ridiculous, I'm thankful that they made it better for the movie.  I will not give any real spoilers here because I hate that crap, but I think that:

1 - If you hated the 1st one, you should still give this a try, if for nothing more than the cool chase scenes with Silver Surfer and the FF.

2 - If you liked the 1st one, you should DEFINTELY go see this movie right away because it kicked ass.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2007, 12:35 »

i never saw the first one but the silver surfer is one of my favorite comics and i might see this just because of that.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

philosopherqueen

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2007, 13:11 »

My husband and I were going to see it a couple of days ago but dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory took longer than we thought and we were too late so we just rented "Unknown"* instead. We are probably going to see it today as he got the day off. I think it will be good and I'm glad to hear some positive stuff about it on here.

*This movie kinda sucked. We were going tot the video store to get either Alpha Dog or Man of the Year but I saw the box for this and the story seemed potentially very good. That plus a stellar cast made me pick it over the other 2. It starts out promising but that quickly fades. There isn't much of a mystery to it at all and it winds up just being these 5 guys arguing throughout the movie. Ending was pretty lame too.

(Sorry for derailing this thread, back to the Silver Surfer we go...)

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2007, 13:45 »

The first one was awesome, and the second one followed suit. But if your a fan of the comics; they messed up Galactus big time. He's a cloud in this one and not the awesome mighty giant he was in the comics. For all of you who don't know, this is Galactus.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 15:45 by Mikagon »
I'm a girl! I have a vagina for god's sake!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2007, 14:52 »

Galactus is a WHAT?

that's terrible.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2007, 15:39 »

It's pretty bad.  I don't hate it - but it's pretty bad.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2007, 15:49 »

Come now, you have to admit that they did Silver Surfer damn well. I will admit towards the end of the movie they get pretty gooey but overall it still kicks ass. Plus, you know when they have those clips at the end of the credits? They moved theres to after the first five or ten seconds into the credits. Its sweet.

wm_star

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2007, 17:08 »

But if your a fan of the comics; they messed up Galactus big time. He's a cloud in this one and not the awesome mighty giant he was in the comics.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here - I don't think the difference was a mess-up at all.  The Galactus of the comics was fine for comic format.  But in a movie, I don't think he would have been a very good villain at all - he would have looked cheesy and inconsequential.  The Galactus of the movie wasn't just a cloud; it was a sentient storm-like creature 3 times the size of Earth, who shoved his stormy tendrils down into these holes Silver Surfer had made to go down to the hot magma core of the Earth, to drain all the heat and life from the planet.  I thought it was an excellent re-invention for a movie version.  It was intimidating and huge and effective, in my opinion.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2007, 18:08 »

But if your a fan of the comics; they messed up Galactus big time. He's a cloud in this one and not the awesome mighty giant he was in the comics.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here - I don't think the difference was a mess-up at all.  The Galactus of the comics was fine for comic format.  But in a movie, I don't think he would have been a very good villain at all - he would have looked cheesy and inconsequential.  The Galactus of the movie wasn't just a cloud; it was a sentient storm-like creature 3 times the size of Earth, who shoved his stormy tendrils down into these holes Silver Surfer had made to go down to the hot magma core of the Earth, to drain all the heat and life from the planet.  I thought it was an excellent re-invention for a movie version.  It was intimidating and huge and effective, in my opinion.
But it looked like a giant purple cloud. Like a hurricane of doom of some sort.

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2007, 19:50 »

He may have been a cloud, but near the end of the movie, you can see a faint outline of what I assume is comic book Galactus's head in the cloud. Or maybe I was just seeing things.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2007, 19:54 »

I think you were just seeing things. That motivates me to go see it again to see if you really were or not.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2007, 20:47 »

I was sad about Galactus, after they showed the cloud I was hoping he was in it, but sadly that was not to be, though I did see an outline of his head.  Then again, I think it would be harder to explain a giant man in pink and blue devouring planets then a cloud of smoke traveling through space.

I thought it was actually good, a hell of a lot better then the first one in my opinion, though there are some fairly obvious reasons for that

philosopherqueen

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2007, 23:28 »

Just got home from watching it. Twas good. Would recommend.

Exactly what I was going to say only you said it much better.

The only thing I didn't like about the first one was the actor playing Dr. Doom.  Instead of coming off as a scary psychopath, he came off as more of a pissed off executive bureaucrat, which was kind of boring.

And though the same actor was back as Dr. Doom, either the script or the direction improved, and he was a bit more of the scary psychopath. 

I sort of agree with you on this one too. Though I'm quite partial to Julian McMahon. I remember first seeing him on Another World, a soap my mom used to watch and being quite impressed, particularly for a soap. Then he was on Charmed and I was blown away. He was so good in fact that he was the first and only villain on a "villain-of-the-week" type show to whom they gave not only a recurring role, but a major one at that... he played the leader of all evil AND the love-interest of Allyssa Milano's character. Then he got a starring role as the suave, egoistical, yet loveable plastic surgeon on Nip/Tuck. And I've always thought he should play James Bond.

I still think he played Dr. Doom well too. But I agree that he was better in the second one, most likely due to poor direction in the first one.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2007, 00:44 »

Ok yeah. I'm going to see this on wednesday after I renew my L's. (Read: Learner's Permit for anyone who doesn't know). I can't wait to see this mainly because I anticipate a movie that will be pretty fun to watch even if it lacks in other areas.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

wm_star

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2007, 05:00 »

Exactly what I was going to say only you said it much better.

Yay! - thanks for saying so.  Sometimes on forums (not necessarily QC, just forums in general), I feel like an idiot when I express an opinion and everyone else seems to disagree, so it's always nice to have at least one other person who shares my opinion.

Though I'm quite partial to Julian McMahon. I remember first seeing him on Another World, a soap my mom used to watch and being quite impressed, particularly for a soap. Then he was on Charmed and I was blown away. He was so good in fact that he was the first and only villain on a "villain-of-the-week" type show to whom they gave not only a recurring role, but a major one at that... he played the leader of all evil AND the love-interest of Allyssa Milano's character. Then he got a starring role as the suave, egoistical, yet loveable plastic surgeon on Nip/Tuck. And I've always thought he should play James Bond.

Well, I never saw Another World or Nip/Tuck, and I'm not really a Bond fan, but I agree that he was awesome on Charmed.  Probably just the writing and direction for the 1st FF movie, like we said.

M4

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2007, 07:25 »

He may have been a cloud, but near the end of the movie, you can see a faint outline of what I assume is comic book Galactus's head in the cloud. Or maybe I was just seeing things.

From what I've heard from several people, not only can you see the outline in the cloud, but when the Surfer flies into the cloud to defeat Galactus, you get a rather clear view of his face.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2007, 11:25 »

The only reason i have not seen the first Fantastic Four is Julian McBLAND. I hate, hate, hate, HATE him.
Hate, rain on me

Felix_

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2007, 12:44 »

A cloud.

This is unacceptable.

For shame.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2007, 10:07 »

I went to a drive-in last night with my friends. This was playing. Now, I hated on Spider-man 3 something fierce. I would much rather watch that than have had the experience of Rise of the Silver Surfer. Now, I can let silly plots slide in super hero movies. They're usually just a conduit for the action. However, when even the action sequences are sub-standard (Read: suck out loud) we have a problem. My other two major problems with this flick (I will not dare call this a film) are character development and acting. As for the former, I just could not be assed to care about these characters. They weren't special outside of having super powers. If anything, I usually hated them because most of the time all they did was bicker. Meanwhile the world is coming down around them. I saw a bunch of shallow characters  on the screen, each one incredibly self obsessed. And then there was acting. It's not that they were camp and cheesy, because they just plain weren't. Another reason I didn't care is that the actors gave me nothing to work with. The gamut of emotions came across as mere apathy. So that's my two cents. I'm pretty much burnt out on super-hero movies at this point.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:52 »

Meh.

I didn't have high expectations of this film, and it met them.
I didn't have a problem with them changing Galactus, but I think that if they were going to take the obvious clues from the Ultimate Gah Lak Tus version (I noticed at least one line they just took out of those comics, the 'quarterback' exchange between Reed and General Idiot, except it was better in the comic.  Why yes, I am a colossal geek), they could have gone the whole way.  In the Ultimate version it's a massive cloud of mechanical drones, which all had the Galactus helmet design.  Here, it was just a cloud.  I did see the helmet shape in the bit at the end, but I was expecting to, so maybe it's like trying to see a shape in the clouds.  The people who know what it is will see it, others won't even notice a shape at all.
It's an improvement over a giant man in purple armour, anyway.  I think people would have just laughed at it if it had been the 'classic' Galactus, it's be like the old B-Movies where the space alien is just a giant grasshopper.

The Surfer was well done, though.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2007, 12:28 »

I think people would have just laughed at it if it had been the 'classic' Galactus, it's be like the old B-Movies where the space alien is just a giant grasshopper.
Well, since you put it that way maybe it is a good thing that he morphed into a hungry gigantic cloud for this movie.

ForteBass

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2007, 12:33 »

I think we're missing the big picture here. The whole thing was just fucking ridiculous.
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2007, 01:41 »

When one of your main characters is an elastic man who stretches like he's in a cartoon, ridiculous is something of an inevitability.
Seriously, with X-Men and Spider-man you can try and make the powers look realistic, at least to a degree, but Mr Stretchy just can't be done.  I think they'd have done better if the whole thing had been made in CG.  If this were an actual cartoon, ridiculous is a lot easier to fit in.

Plus, when you think about it, the Fantastic Four are kinda dicks.  Reed Richards invents a flying car with a revolutionary new power system, and does he release the details, ending congestion problems and letting the world stop damaging the environment by burning fossil fuels?  Does he hell.

Felix_

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2007, 02:18 »

Who should have been in the sequel:

:-D

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2007, 18:05 »

LIES!!!

would have been better, though they pretty much set it up for that, at least in my mind they did

the person that should be him?

ForteBass

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2007, 20:22 »

I hate you. In this very moment in time... I hate you.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jun 2007, 20:23 »

Who should have been in the sequel:

:-D
Mole Man. Classic.

rasufelle

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2007, 20:51 »

I DESPISE this move.  Terrible acting, horrid dialogue, and some absolutely godawful steady-cam work.  The theater screen probably just made it worse, but when you can watch the picture shake 'cause of how bad the grip's work is you know there are problems.

And what's the saddest?  I STILL found it better than Spider Man 3.  Why?  Because no matter how he is done, the Silver Surfer will always be the coolest, most intensely overpowered superhero in the universe by design as opposed to the way that Sandman was invincible due to overplaying his abilities.  Not only that, but even turning the Devourer of Worlds himself into a cloud still doesn't mess things up as much as their butchery of Venom in Spider Man 3. 

End verdict?  Comic book based movies as a whole have progressed beyond the point of entertainment and are now sailing the seas of cheese, so to speak.  The last two examples may be the most obvious examples of this, but soon we will have any number of additional samples.  After all, they already have another, what, four Spider Man movies planned?

philosopherqueen

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2007, 01:36 »

What?!?! Really?!?!

Good grief why can't they leave good enough alone? The first one was awesome, the second one was really good too, this last one was crap. And from what I've heard, Toby, Kirsten and I think the director have all said they don't want to do another one so what are they going to do? It'll suck for sure.

Or I suppose there may be a slim chance it will turn out to be actually better, like Batman Returns. I saw the Michael Keaton one in theatres (yes I'm that old) and thought it was the worst thing I had ever seen. I didn't bother ever watching any of the sequels cause that one was so bad, but Batman Returns is one of my favourite movies of all times.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2007, 04:50 »

And what's the saddest?  I STILL found it better than Spider Man 3.  Why?  Because no matter how he is done, the Silver Surfer will always be the coolest, most intensely overpowered superhero in the universe by design as opposed to the way that Sandman was invincible due to overplaying his abilities.  Not only that, but even turning the Devourer of Worlds himself into a cloud still doesn't mess things up as much as their butchery of Venom in Spider Man 3. 

This isn't quite the topic for this, so I'll make it brief:

Sandman's always been damn near invincible in the comics and they gave pretty much the perfect portrayel of him in that film.

Venom, while inconsistent to an extent, was overall pretty spot-on. Venom's just not a very interesting character on his own.

That said, it was still utter garbage.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2007, 06:21 »

Sandman's always been damn near invincible in the comics and they gave pretty much the perfect portrayel of him in that film.

Except for that time he was sucked up by a vacuum cleaner...

Fact is, just about all comics have had their serious periods, and their not-so-serious periods, and their downright-ridiculous periods.
Sometimes the Hulk is an unstoppable force of destructive rage, impossible to stop or reason with.  Others, he just talks a little slow, and only hulk smashes people who hurt hulk friends.
Superman has fought quite a lot of silly people, mainly because there's a limit on villains who'd stand a chance against him, so they've got to make it a bit stupid.
Sometimes the FF are battling Doctor Doom (who has alternated between attaining incredible powers, and being defeated by a horde of squirrels), sometimes they're dealing with a giant alien bulldog. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockjaw_%28comics%29)
And let's not get started on some of the crazy stuff the various X-Men get involved in.

The problem is a lot of the films recently are moving away from the more serious interpretations of the character (with the honourable exception of Batman).  With luck, they'll spot the pattern, realise that the more realistic the better, and things will pick up again.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2007, 06:29 »

That incident with the vaccuum was later written off as him having intended to do that as an expedited route out of the school he was hiding out in. All-told, just lazy writing. A guy made out of sand who can alter his density at will SHOULD be damn near invincible.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #33 on: 01 Jul 2007, 01:12 »

I saw FF2 the other day. I found it to be enjoyable though I didn't have high expectations. I've never really been able to take the Fantastic Four seriously as a superhero team anyway so I really only went to see it because I was guranteed some explosions. And I love explosions. The best part in the entire film was Stan Lee's appearance, for the first time as himself in a Marvel film.

dont eat that hallway stu

« Reply #34 on: 06 Jul 2007, 03:23 »

I went to a drive-in last night with my friends. This was playing. Now, I hated on Spider-man 3 something fierce. I would much rather watch that than have had the experience of Rise of the Silver Surfer. Now, I can let silly plots slide in super hero movies. They're usually just a conduit for the action. However, when even the action sequences are sub-standard (Read: suck out loud) we have a problem. My other two major problems with this flick (I will not dare call this a film) are character development and acting. As for the former, I just could not be assed to care about these characters. They weren't special outside of having super powers. If anything, I usually hated them because most of the time all they did was bicker. Meanwhile the world is coming down around them. I saw a bunch of shallow characters  on the screen, each one incredibly self obsessed. And then there was acting. It's not that they were camp and cheesy, because they just plain weren't. Another reason I didn't care is that the actors gave me nothing to work with. The gamut of emotions came across as mere apathy. So that's my two cents. I'm pretty much burnt out on super-hero movies at this point.
this guy has a good point, nad what he says is fairly true, but it fills in time better than pretty much all the tv shows on at the moment, so is worth going to see if you've got nothing better to do. lets face it, you're either going to like it or have something to complain about on forums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up