THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 01:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SIgur Rós  (Read 7656 times)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
SIgur Rós
« on: 30 Jul 2007, 19:58 »

Sigur Rós is releasing a DVD entitled "heima" and a double-disc CD entitled "hvarf-heim" on November 5th. The DVD captures their tour across Iceland last year. The pictures they've taken on the tour and posted look amazing - I'm incredibly jealous and completely in awe of the island. My next major vacation is going to be to Iceland.

I couldn't get the links on their website to work, but they've posted the trailer to heima. If the links don't work for you, the Icelandic newspaper morgunblađiđ has the trailer embedded into the news article about the DVD/CD release. (The trailer is in English, the article completely in Icelandic.) The trailer is pretty spectacular - breathtaking and unbelievable.

I'm terribly excited for this - Sigur Rós is by far my favourite band. I'm terribly passionate about them. I purchased the limited-edition Artist in Residence issue (their first) about Sigur Rós, In A Frozen Sea, and it is spectacular. The DVD and CD should be nothing less than amazing.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: SIgur Rós
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2007, 20:08 »

I'm so excited for this as well as it should be brilliant. I really can't wait for the dvd and new material. I've seen Sigur Ros live and it was a beautiful, amazing show. I too plan on going to Iceland as soon as possible. Sigur Ros has been one of my favorite bands, if not my all time favorite, for years now and whenever new material nears release I get incredibly antsy for it. November can't come soon enough.

EDIT: OK, so I just saw the trailer for that dvd and holy hell! That looks so damn amazing I am now so much more excited than I was before. Wow, looks so beautiful!
Also, here's a three part documentary on Takk. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=takk+documentary&search=

It features some very pretty footage from Iceland with the band talking over the songs from Takk explaining how they were written. It's really interesting and very cool to hear the band. If nothing else they have cool accents. Luckily they also have a lot to say.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2007, 08:18 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2007, 21:59 »

I like Sigur Rós, but I feel that they've yet to make a AAA record.

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2007, 01:23 »

Sounds like another medicore release from a mediorce band.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2007, 07:53 »

I think the reason I've never given Sigur Ros a fair chance is because I got into them with the () album which sounds like the same 4 songs played twice, songs that aren't that great to begin with aside from the fourth one.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2007, 08:24 »

Is medicore like, hardcore punk, but completely high on pills?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2007, 08:41 »

Sounds really cool.  I might have to check it out.  Although, all I've heard of them is Ágćtis Byrjun and the Hlemmur soundtrack.  Both of which I loved.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2007, 08:50 »

Listen to the new one then! Takk is easily their most accessible album. It was extremely well received, especially from some die hard fans, but I'm an exception to that. I think it's a really excellent album with some beautiful songs that don't lose the Sigur Ros feel but manage to become less difficult to get into. These songs are more rock and roll and less atmospheric or cryptic sounding. If you've never heard the band or have based initial impressions off of earlier albums, especially (), give Takk a listen. Also, here's a higher res stream of the trailer above: http://www.heimafilm.com/heima_trailer.html

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2007, 09:35 »

This topic reminded me that I haven't listened to Sigur Ros in weeks. I shall fix this forthwith.

Can't wait for this DVD, SR and Iceland are both beautiful. :)

imapiratearg

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:02 »

I believe everyone should go to Iceland for at least a week.  I don't think they'd much appreciate the tourists invading the place.  But it's such a beautiful and humble place.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:04 »

Yeah I loved it while I was there. It's brilliant how nearly all of Iceland lives in the capital then the rest of the country is beautiful Fuck All and the odd farm.

Also Takk is apparently far better than I remembered.

imapiratearg

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:07 »

I envy you.  I want to go snowboarding on the glacier before it melts away.  Of course, this will take quite a while, so I think there's no rush...at the moment.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2007, 14:43 »

I think there's no Rush...at the moment.

This thread is about Sigur Rós. Please try to stay on topic.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

jimbunny

• I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2007, 16:24 »

...what was I going to say?

Oh, yeah. Iceland rules.

Hmmm, I saw SR live, once. It was too impersonal. Lots of lights, screens, shadows (I could barely see the band members). They played the set straight through, barely looking at the audience. One of the highlights for me was when the sound hit a glitch and they had to stop for a while. They kind of shuffled around and said stuff like "Oh no, something went wrong." It was great, or maybe just a nice break from the really built-up atmosphere.

I love Agaetis Byrjun and Takk, though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2007, 16:43 »

Exactly. As good as a stage show is, I dislike it when a band is so disconnected. I mean when I saw Muse live, they played brilliantly - though that one gig left me with mild tinnitus and I'm not happy to this day - but barely said a word to us. It may as well have been robots playing it.

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2007, 21:27 »

Pretty much! Another terrible release from a mediocre band with it fanboys defending it, unwilling to admit that no matter how qwirky they are, you cannot mask the lack of talent they have, no matter how many langauges you rip off/ invent or how many drugs you take!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #16 on: 01 Aug 2007, 02:55 »

How can you hate so much without bursting a vessel?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2007, 03:34 »

How can you hate so much without bursting a vessel?

Who says I haven't busted a vessel yet.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2007, 06:30 »

You should probably go to a doctor

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #19 on: 01 Aug 2007, 06:31 »

Especially if they don't have a computer there on which he can post to this thread.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #20 on: 01 Aug 2007, 06:43 »

Pretty much! Another terrible release from a mediocre band with it fanboys defending it, unwilling to admit that no matter how qwirky they are, you cannot mask the lack of talent they have, no matter how many langauges you rip off/ invent or how many drugs you take!

It's fine to dislike Sigur Ros but I think it's pretty hard to support your statement about them lacking talent. I dislike plenty of bands but I still admit that a lot of them feature talented musicians. Don't let dislike cloud your judgment and allow you to make idiotic statements. Also, I don't know how many times I have to fucking say this, but most of their songs are in ICELANDIC. All of Von, all of Agaetis Byrjun, most of their singles/eps and most of Takk are in a REAL language. Only one album and a handful of songs feature hoplandic. It annoys me when people criticize something yet don't know what they're talking about.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2007, 08:58 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #21 on: 01 Aug 2007, 06:44 »

Look kids, it's a troll. Say hi to the troll. Hi troll!! Yes, we see you there. Boy, you sure are ruffling our feathers here. Could you maybe leave and stop being a hater so those of us who enjoy this band can have a decent discussion?? Thanks.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 01 Aug 2007, 06:57 »

I think the comment about Sigur Ros being a bit impersonal live does hold some merit actually. The sad fact of the matter is they've become quite popular around the world and, as a result, tend to only play large venues. This always translates to a more impersonal experience. One of the reasons I'm so excited about this DVD is that I can finally see them playing how they used to play. That is, playing in tiny venues like coffee shops and town squares to a small crowd of people. I'm pretty sure I would go to very ridiculous extremes to see Sigur Ros in a setting like that. When I saw them live it was almost overwhelming, and this was in a very large theater. I can't imagine how intense and powerful it would be in a place one one hundredth of the size. I'll probably never see them play somewhere like that (unless my planned Iceland trip somehow happens to coincide with an Iceland tour) but the DVD will do fine. The lack of lasers and bright lights would also be welcome. I liked this effect when I saw them because it gave the stage a sort of otherworldly physical aspect but being able to see the band playing up close would be even better. It's just a shame they don't divide their tours between small and large shows.

On the flip side, I've seen Amiina live twice, both times in tiny venues and both times no more than 15 feet or so away. They are really fantastic live, playing all sorts of bizarre  instruments, many of which I had never seen before or since. In addition, they use lots of harmonium, singing saw, bowed glockenspiel, glassophone, and toy bells. Both shows were really wonderful so if the chance to see them arises, don't miss it. It's a lot more lighthearted than a Sigur Ros show and is pleasant more than intense but it's still a really nice experience and their music is fantastic.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2007, 07:00 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 01 Aug 2007, 08:30 »

I'd love to see Amiina live. The album didn't grab me but there's a lot of potential there and I have a feeling I'd get a kick out of the show.

Look kids, it's a troll. Say hi to the troll.

Nah, don't feed it. Seems to be about his sum contribution to everything in this section, god knows why some muppet who dislikes all the bands in the Music forum would hang out there.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #24 on: 01 Aug 2007, 08:44 »

I'm impressed. In all my years of hearing people make totally unfounded statements, I've never seen someone accuse a band of 'ripping off' an actual language.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Re: Sigur Rós
« Reply #25 on: 01 Aug 2007, 08:52 »

I've seen Sigur Rós live twice, both in large venues - the Chicago Theatre and the Civic Opera House. They were two incredible shows. Both times Amiina opened for them, and were very entertaining. They're very light and spry, playing awesomly fansastical music.

But yeah, TFW, I completely agree with you in that I'd love to see Sigur Rós play a tiny venue without the light show. It'd be one hell of an experience.

Oh, also, did I really make that typo in the subject line? Someone change the subject so that the I isn't capitalized.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #26 on: 02 Aug 2007, 05:26 »

I'm impressed. In all my years of hearing people make totally unfounded statements, I've never seen someone accuse a band of 'ripping off' an actual language.

aww now your just flattering me!

Nah, don't feed it. Seems to be about his sum contribution to everything in this section, god knows why some muppet who dislikes all the bands in the Music forum would hang out there.

Some people on this planet have to fight the good fight, this seems as good a place as any to start

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2007, 23:11 »

If you keep "fighting the good fight" for very long here you'll have to do it elsewhere due to finding yourself banned.  We don't appreciate trolling here, so please desist.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #28 on: 05 Aug 2007, 22:20 »

Looking forward to this. Also, like basically every other Sigur Ros fan, I definitely plan on moving to Iceland (or perhaps Norway) for a year or two. It looks really awesome up there.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #29 on: 05 Aug 2007, 22:27 »

Me too. Or at least take a semester abroad there. I've been trying for some time to buy Agaetis Byrjun on vinyl but it always goes for $70-$100 on ebay and is OOP. Rumors of a repress are running around but I emailed fatkat and they're not confirming anything (or denying...). As a vinyl fan I would love to own these great albums on vinyl (and I don't want that Frozen Sea comp. I've heard it's poorly made and overpriced). I guess the insane pricing is another dark side to rising popularity (only playing large venues was the first one).

Hollow Press (my blog)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: SIgur RĂłs
« Reply #30 on: 06 Aug 2007, 08:39 »

They better reprint it!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: [1]   Go Up