THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK Computer will be 10 years old soon  (Read 19884 times)

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
Re: OK Computer will be 10 years old soon
« Reply #50 on: 06 Jul 2007, 01:32 »

Am I the only one that likes Amnesiac though? It seems to be the least talked about album of theirs. How can everyone ignore 'Pyramid Song'? Hell, that song alone makes the album worth mentioning imo.

no, i think Amnesiac is great and 'Pyramid Song' makes me weep like a little girl every time.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #51 on: 06 Jul 2007, 07:24 »

Look, you may think that Kid A is a better album. But the fact is that OK Computer is like Dark Side of the Moon in that's more well known and debated. And that's the key to me, so many people I talk to who have no clue who bands like Arcade Fire and Pavement are actually know Radiohead.

I would argue that Wish You Were Here or even Piper At The Gates of Dawn are better than Dark Side of the Moon, but if somebody ever asked me where to start with Pink Floyd, I'd say Dark Side every time. Same with Radiohead. They're great albums on their own, but they also make for convenient starting points in their respective discographies as well as litmus tests for whether or not you'll like the band.

To speak a bit to what Khar was saying, a generational touchstone doesn't have to touch every single person in the world, not to mention in a good way. Hell, I routinely meet people who either haven't heard or don't like the Beatles, and I would consider them one of, if not the, most important bands ever.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #52 on: 06 Jul 2007, 10:35 »

Am I the only one that likes Amnesiac though? It seems to be the least talked about album of theirs. How can everyone ignore 'Pyramid Song'? Hell, that song alone makes the album worth mentioning imo.

no, i think Amnesiac is great and 'Pyramid Song' makes me weep like a little girl every time.

Amnesiac is fucking brilliant in it's entirety. I agree that Pyramid Song is truly amazing. It's one of my favorite RH songs in fact. This is a criminally underrated album if you ask me. I like it more than Kid A and almost as much as OKC.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #53 on: 06 Jul 2007, 15:15 »

Still love this band regardless of the people who dislike them and the people who are afraid to like them and the people who dislike them deliberately because they're so popular.

I think Amnesiac is wank, though. Sounds like just a bunch of Kid A outtakes, which is more or less what it is - minus a few key exceptions, of course, 'Dollars and Cents,' 'Pyramid Song,' 'I Might Be Wrong'...

Between Kid A and Amnesiac I think you've got their best album. But aside from 'Fitter Happier' OK Computer is their best.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #54 on: 06 Jul 2007, 18:36 »

Oh man. Ten years ago I was seventeen years old and incredibly depressed.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #55 on: 06 Jul 2007, 20:58 »

it's okay, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back is the better Public Enemy album anyway.

By a landslide...

I'm a fan of Radiohead, & would have gone as far as to put them in my top 5 bands about 8 years ago.  I have way too many of their eps/singles...( anyone else have the DJ Shadow remix to the gloaming on vinyl? It's Dick Cheney with horns breathing smoke   :evil:) but I'm really not too excited about their new release.  Maybe because I'm into so many other bands now, maybe because part of me thinks it won't be too good.  I prefer Kid A to all other albums, but do think OK Computer is their best as well as the best place to start for them.   Both albums start off wonderfully & IMO have great 1st/2nd tracks.... OK Computer was more them finding their own sound, whereas Kid A was more of them aping Aphex twin, with a bit of their own interpretation.
If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

Golden Helmet

« Reply #56 on: 06 Jul 2007, 21:59 »

( anyone else have the DJ Shadow remix to the gloaming on vinyl? It's Dick Cheney with horns breathing smoke   :evil:)
I don't have that sadly. Don't have any Vinyl's actually, though I'd probably kill a kindergarten class for a Vinyl of OK Computer (I kid, I kid, don't send the cops after me). I do have the majority of their so-called Rare tracks though, according to the list found Here anyways. Still missing a few, but working on that.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #57 on: 07 Jul 2007, 09:09 »

Am I the only one here who considers Hail to the Thief to be their masterpiece?  To me it just blended and solidified everything they did on the previous albums into one.  It's also their only album I ever still feel the need to listen to a lot.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #58 on: 07 Jul 2007, 10:28 »

Am I the only one here who considers Hail to the Thief to be their masterpiece?

£20 on "yes"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #59 on: 07 Jul 2007, 13:29 »

Am I the only one here who considers Hail to the Thief to be their masterpiece?  To me it just blended and solidified everything they did on the previous albums into one.  It's also their only album I ever still feel the need to listen to a lot.

I'd suggest you are. But I still say it's underrated, it's definitely better than Pablo Honey and Amnesiac.

Felix_

« Reply #60 on: 07 Jul 2007, 13:33 »

10 years ago I did not like this record nearly as much as I like it today.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #61 on: 07 Jul 2007, 13:59 »

Jeez, c'mon guys. What's with all the Amnesiac hating? Sorry if it's not The Bends. Sure it's stylistically similar to Kid A albeit not as good, but it still has a lot of great songs. Pyramid Song is one of my favorite RH songs on any album, Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors is just plain cool, and the last three tracks (Hunting Bears, Like Spinning Plates, Life in a Glass House) are all really really excellent. This is definitely their most underrated album.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Golden Helmet

« Reply #62 on: 07 Jul 2007, 15:33 »

Think you probably are. Hail To The Thief was pretty good, had some nice tracks, but to me anyways it just didn't flow very well. Most of the tracks individually were great, but the album seemed more like a random collection of songs than anything. Maybe that's just my perception of it, I dunno, but that's just how HTTT struck me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #63 on: 07 Jul 2007, 16:05 »

True. It's too long, too.

At least it spawned a hellawesome t-shirt, the We Suck Young Blood shirt, which I own.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #64 on: 07 Jul 2007, 16:41 »

I look at Hail To The Thief as a kind of culmination of everything they band had accomplished between '93 and '03. It sort of feels like an era ending album to me. At least I hope so, because I don't know where else they have left to go. Aside from Kid A and Amnesiac, which were recorded at the same sessions, every album from Pablo Honey onward is very distinctive and different from the one before. It still sounds like the work of the same band, but there's a definite sense of exploring new territory each lap.

I don't really understand the love for The Bends and the hate for Amnesiac. The Bends is a really good album, but I'd only rate it above Pablo Honey. I feel like The Bends was the band trying to recover from being ground into the dirt as a one hit wonder and just saying "fuck it, let's do what we want to" and they never looked back. It's also where they first worked with Nigel Godrich, who even if you don't like his production style, has been vital to the band's sound. Everything they did afterward is much more interesting and, for lack of a better word, cool.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #65 on: 07 Jul 2007, 16:46 »

I really like Packt Like Sardines... off 'Amnesiac'.  That refrain of Tony Blair's "I'm a reasonable man, get off my case" seemed awesomely zeitgeist-fitting to me, especially working in a huge corporate office at the time where it's all about being "reasonable" rather than making sense.

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #66 on: 07 Jul 2007, 20:04 »

10 years ago i was 26, trying to restart my career and boinking a 19 yr old.  :oops:

wait, no...that was 11 years ago!

10 years ago i was 27 and living in New Zealand with my 23 yr old girlfriend who was teaching me to speak Mandarin Chinese while i copyedited her Maths papers...and i was alternating between listening to OK Computer and Crowded House - Recurring Dream (with bonus live disc consisting of FOH mixes).

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #67 on: 07 Jul 2007, 20:19 »

I really wouldn't mind Amnesiac if it wasn't for Pulk-Pull Revolving Doors. It's a really cool experimental little album, but that song fucking ruins it for me. Even when I skip it, the knowledge that its there ruins my ability to enjoy it.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #68 on: 07 Jul 2007, 20:28 »

I really like Packt Like Sardines... off 'Amnesiac'.  That refrain of Tony Blair's "I'm a reasonable man, get off my case" seemed awesomely zeitgeist-fitting to me, especially working in a huge corporate office at the time where it's all about being "reasonable" rather than making sense.

Pact Like Sardines..  is by far my favorite song off of Amnesiac, and up there for my favorite Radiohead songs period.

Anyways, to me Hail to the Thief is where everything just came together beautifully.  Everything is in its right place on the album.(hehe Radiohead pun)

vaaarr

« Reply #69 on: 08 Jul 2007, 02:13 »

I love OKC, but I tend to listen to The Bends more often.

And to think that ten years ago, I didn't even know this album existed...

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #70 on: 12 Jul 2007, 20:20 »

The only album have of Radiohead, but damn one of the greatest albums I bought.
The instrumentations, the voices, the whole thing is great.
I heard a couple of songs from the albums before and I kind of liked them except Creep, I really don't like Creep
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #71 on: 15 Jul 2007, 10:48 »

Definitely in my top ten albums all time.

I liked Kid A a lot (It would be in my top fifty somewhere), but I don't think Amnesiac and Hail are so good.

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #72 on: 15 Jul 2007, 23:57 »

10 years on people still havent evolved enought o know this is a shit record by a worse band?

So much for evolution.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #73 on: 16 Jul 2007, 08:12 »

I don't think you understand how evolution or humour work. 2/10 for effort though, someone's gotta do it.

the_tard

« Reply #74 on: 16 Jul 2007, 15:27 »

I love radiohead. Favourite album is HTTT with OKC as a second. This is probably because the first radiohead song I heard that I knew was by them and not just another "high and dry" repeat on the radio was "There There". That still remains as one of my fav radiohead songs, as well as "Sail to the Moon".

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jul 2007, 05:15 »

I don't think you understand how evolution or humour work. 2/10 for effort though, someone's gotta do it.

I think your mistaken!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #76 on: 17 Jul 2007, 05:22 »

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2007, 05:40 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #77 on: 17 Jul 2007, 06:10 »