THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 03:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows  (Read 27899 times)

CmonMiracle

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
« on: 07 Jul 2007, 19:43 »

Well, this book is coming out soon and of course this is suppose to be the last Harry Potter book. What are your predictions or hopes for it?

Here's what I've gathered from the last book.

I believe Snape is *not* a traitor. We know from the past books a few things:

Snape loved Lilly (Harry's mom) but it was unrequited.
Snape became an original Deatheater.
Sometime near the end of the first Deatheater war, Snape came to Dumbledore and "turned good", but only Dumbledore knows the reason. Yet the reason is good enough for Dumbledore and he never doubted Snape's turn to the good side.

So what happened?

Voldemort killed Lilly, that's what happened. And the moment he did that, Snape forever and irrevocably turned against Voldemort and swore vengance for what he did. That love of Lilly and that Voldemort killed her meant Snape would forever hate Voldemort is why Dumbledore trusted him ever after.

So what about Dumbledore's death?

He and Harry arrived back at Hogwarts with Dumbledore pretty obviously dying of the potion he'd had to drink. Dumbledore knew he was a dead man, likely knowing the poison to be irreversable. His last wishes were to protect Harry and the other students.

Dumbledore knew that if one man would instantly know Dumbledore was doomed and could act, it would be Snape and only Snape (with his deep knowledge of potions and dark magics).

So a dying Dumbledore finds himself the target of a wavering young Malfoy. Malfoy wasn't evil - wasn't lost completely - quite yet. But Malfoy had to kill Dumbledore or be killed. Turn completely evil or die.

Snape bursts in and is described as summing up the entire scene quickly in his mind. Dumbledore looked at him pleadingly - not pleading for Dumbledore's life, but pleading for Snape to do the one horrible thing that needed to be done. Finish off a doomed Dumbledore and thus "save" young Malfoy - plus Snape re-infultrates the Deatheaters unquestioned. Snape instantly recognized Dumbledore was doomed, and both Snape and Sumbledore knew the only path they had to save the kids was for Snape to finish off Dumbledore. Save Malfoy, infiltrate the Deatheaters again. The pleading of Dumbledore to Snape was because Snape was hesitating, and Dumbledore was pleading with him to do what he had to do - save Malfoy and more.

This is why Snape then wouldn't attack Harry while escaping. Why the only thing he reacted to that Harry said was when Harry called him a coward. Snape is no coward, he'd just done the hardest, and bravest thing of his life: finish off his doomed friend Dumbledore to save the students and have a chance at Voldemort.

I hope Harry finally finds this all out at the end, though I'd expect likely with Snape dying as part of it.

I expect young Malfoy would then be saved from becoming truly evil, possibly taking on his own evil father.

I have a grand finale story idea that I do not expect to happen, but in my mind would be the best ending possible. I'll put it up later.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2007, 20:38 »

That's actually the only 'Snape is Good' theory I've heard that makes sense.  And it seems like exactly the kind of thing JKR would do...make you think someone's bad, but then explain their reasons.  We'll find out in about two weeks, regardless.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2007, 21:40 »

I'm not holding my breath for snape.

Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2007, 21:47 »

OK, so if the Snape thing I wrote above has, maybe, a 30-40% chance of happening in the book, this next bit - my ideal ending - has a .001% chance.

And that bugs me, since I like my ending so much that anything else seems blah.

So here is my ideal Harry Potter ending:

Who discovers spells? Magic exists, but great, wise wizards and witches over the ages discover spells and potions to harness and call the magic. A comprehensive list of spells would grow over time as new spells are found through lifetimes devoted to maybe discovering one new spell of some usefulness or power.

Dumbledore has discovered/invented a spell. Voldemort has too (possibly the Cruxis or another unforgivable).

Harry's gift, his power, his purpose is that he will discover/invent a spell. A devastating spell... not an unforgivable but almost never to be used.

The prophesy spoke of Harry and Voldemort, that one will kill the other.

"Kill" can be interpreted many, many ways.

Harry, after Snape's death and Harry's learning how Snape was not evil, will be forced into that ultimate showdown with Lord Voldemort. I imagine this taking place in a human (muggle) city like downtown London. Wand to wand, wizard to wizard: Harry fueled by the fact that this man is ultimately responsible for the loss of his mother, father, Sirius, and Dumbledore. Voldemort driven by the knowledge of the prophecy, and that Harry is the last thing standing in his way of total victory over the magical (and possibly all of the real) world.

Harry's choice appears obvious: kill with an unforgivable curse or be killed by one.

A moment will happen when Harry will realize his true power and gift and a new spell will form in his mind. A spell never before known, or even thought of. A devastating, yet not unforgivable spell.

Harry will cast this spell against Lord Voldemort, striking him full on in a blaze of light and power.

Voldemort will reel back, then stop, waiting for the effect. He will feel none and begin to laugh.

He will mock a now nearly spent Harry, calling him an imbecilic fool spouting nonsense spells of pretty flashes and no power.

Voldemort will point his wand at Harry and say "Avada Kedavra!" - the killing curse.

... and nothing will happen.

Harry discvovered/invented a spell that "de-magics" or "mugglizes". That is what he had cast against Lord Voldemort. It stripped Voldemort of all magic ability. He has become a squib... a muggle... in one brilliant flash of powerful magic.

Lord Voldemort, the persona and name Tom Riddle took on when he became an evil, powerful wizard, is now dead. All that remains is Tom Riddle. A squib. A muggle. Powerless and hapless in the face of even a first year student at Hogwarts.

His magic can never be regained. He is cut off completely from the magic world, as you or I am.

As Voldemort - Riddle now - realizes this, he is overcome with rage and terror. He wildly and frantically screams spells and curses, snapping his wand at Harry, willing with all his might to wield one tiny shred of magic... but there is none. Nothing.

Harry says what he needs to say to Riddle, then teleports (with Ron and Hermione?) away from Riddle, back to Hogwarts.

Riddle is left on his knees in the middle of downtown London. Dead bodies surround him - those he killed during that final showdown with Harry since he had no care for innocent lives. Sirens will sound as police approach him, guns drawn.

And Tom Malovo Riddle will spend the rest of his life a muggle, forever cut off from all things magical, devoid of power, devoid of followers. A prisoner of the muggle world, no more able to find a wizard or Hogwarts than any clueless muggle. He will remember it all, and it will torture him what he has forever lost. He has become what he hated most, and will spend all his days at thier mercy.

Harry will kill Lord Voldemort, but he will not kill Tom Riddle.

---

THAT is how I want the Harry Potter story to end.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2007, 23:09 »

I think you should be the official Harry Potter fanfic author.  All the other ones suck compared to yours.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Hunter

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2007, 12:40 »

Snape loved Lilly (Harry's mom) but it was unrequited.

when was this?
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2007, 13:45 »

You know, after that I might just not read the seventh book and be content with your awesome proposed ending.
I'm a girl! I have a vagina for god's sake!

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2007, 14:13 »

I stopped reading the series after number four, but if they're as good as what you've written, I'm going to, at the very least, read the last book when it comes out.

Maybe Partying Will Help

« Reply #8 on: 08 Jul 2007, 16:54 »

CmonMiracle-

I thought I was totally done with Harry Potter.  I was sick of the whole thing, I wasn't gonna read the seventh book, I felt as if I had "grown away" from the series.  But you, with one awesome ending, completely changed my mind.

See you in line for the release.

Demonic Angel

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2007, 19:12 »

You know, after that I might just not read the seventh book and be content with your awesome proposed ending.
Seriously considering the same thing.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2007, 19:50 »

We Already Have a Thread For This

Please use the search function in the future.

As for the subject at hand, allow me to just say this: I don't care if Harry lives or dies just so long as Severus lives and isn't a traitor (although, I'll love him just as much if he is...), and! I am actually looking forward to the book opening because I will have my spiffy new tattoo of the Dark Mark on my arm to get me through the night --which SHOULD be healed by then! Woo, am I excited!!

Ally

« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2007, 20:18 »

Ally Bee will be taking a break from the internet starting on July 20th and ending maybe a few days later.

ThePQ4

« Reply #12 on: 08 Jul 2007, 21:03 »

-Days-?? Are you that slow of a reader?? Or are you going to read it more slowly to seep in all of that Potter-goodness?

I plan (well, I have to be) done on the 21st, 'cause I gotta work on the 22nd. Damn it. --But, me Mam and I are going to go and see the 5th movie before picking up the book, which will be fun. Yay!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jul 2007, 10:56 »

Ok, so if the 7th book doesn't end like that, I think you should write some fanfic, so we can pretend that is was the awesome ending. Those are actually the best two possibilities for the last book I've heard. (Though for some reason, I really feel like Harry should/needs to/will die, only because Rowling won't write anymore HP books after this.)

I am probably going to get off work the day (Saturday) the book comes out, or at least request the morning off, because I will be picking up my pre-order and will probably not want to put it down to stand around being bored at work. So I'll hopefully have it done by that Monday.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jul 2007, 11:37 »

He won't die. That would scar a generation of kids.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ThePQ4

« Reply #15 on: 09 Jul 2007, 13:04 »

Okay, so I was thinking about this, after reading that J.K. Rowling had changed the last word of the book --it was known for a long time that the word would be "Scar", but it has apparently now changed. it is very CLOSE to the end, but isn't the last actual word... She has also said that we will learn what everyone does -afterwards-, so...it is very plausable that Harry won't die --why else mention a scar (being that -his- scar is so prominate to the book...), and talk it up as being such an important word to end with? I think it's going to end somehow with his scar having disappeared --his tie to Voldemort being severed. OR, it could be something along the lines of "blah, blah, blah they did this --all brought to gether by a a boy with a scar" or some crap like that...

I don't think a lot of people will be...you know, disappointed or whatever if Harry died, but it wouldn't make sense for him to die. It would mean something very different for time -now-, unless she's making a politcal statement against the war? I dunno...whatever.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jul 2007, 13:56 »

Well I thought he was going to die because I thought that the "neither could live while the other survived" meant that they'd end up killing each other. I mean, I think it'd be better if he didn't, but I wouldn't be bothered by it if he did.

And whatever is in the epilogue, I hope Hermione lets off of SPEW.

chocolate_octopus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:12 »

I kind of want Harry to die. I don't think Rowling will be able to get away from him otherwise and it would be fitting for him to destroy Voldemort and then die of his wounds as soon as he knows he's won.
0_o

ThePQ4

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2007, 06:20 »

See though...you'd think that she'd kind of want to leave it open, in case she wanted to write more later. She's said in a few interviews that after 7 is done she is -done-, but that she would consider playing with the idea of more... Either way, I think we can still continue to expect great things from Rowling, even if it doesn't have Harry Potter in it. Once you start writing, it's hard to stop "forever", so I don't think that this will be her last thing -ever-, although with all of the money she's made with this series, she could never pick up a pen again and her and all of her children could live quite well for the rest of their lives.

I am looking forward to more Potter-themed charity books though. I liked Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch, and I guess they've been thinking about Hogwarts: A History, which would be -so- cool, especially since it's mentioned in every single book, and only Hermione seems to have actually read it more then once, haha.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2007, 14:08 »

Shortly after I read the sixth book, I was tempted to write a fanfic that I would post on the Internet. Not just ANY fanfic, but a full-length novel that could easily be mistaken for the seventh book. My idea was NOT to pass it off as the genuine article, since every page would have a header saying this was an unauthorized fanfic. However, I would have written in J.K. Rowling's style, or as close to it as possible. I also would have used as many clues from the previous six books, so that MY seventh novel would seem astonishingly plausible to any Potter fan.

I chose not to do it, instead concentrating on my OWN series of novels. None of these are published yet, but I may yet find a publisher for my five "Ferriman" novels (with a sixth on the way.) More on that some other time; my chance for fame won't be for a few years yet.

But my idea for the seventh book really did tempt me. I figured it would take me a year and a half to write — just in time for the real-seventh-book frenzy to kick in, make me an Internet celebrity overnight, and then get everyone clamoring to read ORIGINAL, non-Harry Potter material also by me.

My work — had I chosen to write it — would have been called "Harry Potter and the Horcrux Battle." Here are a few key points of what I WOULD HAVE written, and in a two weeks' time we'll all have a chance to compare it against Rowling's work.

THE DEFENSE OF THE DARK ARTS TEACHER FOR THE SEVENTH YEAR IS HARRY POTTER HIMSELF. Surprised? I would have written that in MY Harry Potter novel, and I suspect that this is what will be in the REAL Harry Potter novel. I say this because in the sixth novel, it's mentioned that the school might close down, now that parents are afraid to send their children to school with Dumbledore's gone. Who better to replace him — who better to reasssure the parents — than the wizard already being called The Chosen One?

So the teachers will make an extra effort to recruit him, despite his vow he'll never going back to Hogwarts again. (Also mentioned in the sixth book.) The school has every reason to recruit him, and as for Harry, McGonagall points out that the school has resources he can use in his upcoming battle — for example, as a teacher, he now has completely free access to the restricted section of the library. (Which will be important in tracking down the remaining Horcruxes.)

For those of you who find this hard to believe, I must point out a few things. Yes, the Dark Arts position is cursed, but the end of Voldemort will also end the curse. So Harry Potter's fate remains the same whether or not he signs on as Defense of the Dark Arts teacher — one will end the other. Also, his new teaching job would not interfere with his mission in tracking down the Horcruxes, because Harry is now old enough to Apparate. Which means that he could be a teacher four days out of the week, and take Hermione and Ron on weekends and holidays to find the Horcruxes. And don't forget — Harry has teaching experience!

The bulk of MY Harry Potter novel, had I written it, would have concentrated on two major themes. The first, of course, is the search for the Horcruxes. The second is Harry Potter's growing sense of isolation. Because of the position he's now in, he is no longer a Hogwarts student, and is isolated from all of his former classmates, except Ron and Hermione. Instead of playing Quidditch, he can only root the Gryffindors on from the sidelines — assuming he has time for the matches at all. Filch and Peeves don't treat him with the respect other teachers get, because they refuse to believe he's a "real" teacher. The Slytherin students are openly contemptuous of him, and sabotage his attempts to teach the class.

At the same time, although he's now a teacher, he doesn't really fit in with them, either, since most of them are considerably older than him. Every time he sits among his fellow teachers, he wishes he could be with the people his age.

That's the bulk of what would have been MY Harry Potter book. Other elements that I would have worked in aren't as surprising — Snape is innocent. (You've all heard that one before) Dumbledore is not dead. (You've all heard that one before, too. The best one I've seen is the "Dumbledore is not dead!" section of beyondhogwarts.com.) Plus, the real locket Horcrux is already in Sirius Black's house, having been stolen by Regulus Black — the fifth book specifically mentions a locket nobody could open. (Many of you  have heard that one before, too. It's not an original.)

As for how Potter kills Voldemort, my version would have been something like this. Harry lets Voldemort discover that all the Horcruxes have been destroyed, and that Dumbledore is still alive. That destroys all his confidence, because he realizes that he now can be killed. Just as he's at the height of his panic, Dumbledore appears — more powerful and more terrible than he's ever been before. They fight, and as the battle continues, the mighty Voldemort becomes more and more terrified, and keeps getting weaker and weaker. It's only by sheer luck that Voldemort succeeds in killing Dumbledore.

That's when Harry takes off his Invisibility Cloak and announces that the joke's on Voldemort — that wasn't Dumbledore at all, but a boggart. Harry carried a boggart in a suitcase, just as Lupin had done, knowing full well that when it was unleashed on Voldemort, it would turn into the only person Lord Voldemort ever feared.

And now that Voldemort has so weakened himself in the battle with the boggart-Dumbledore, he can easily be killed. Harry Potter uses the Avada Kedavra on the prostrate Voldemort, and the Dark Lord is finished once and for all.

At least, that's what I would have written, had I actually written it. I do like the idea CmonMiracle came up with, about Harry Potter finding a way to kill Voldemort without killing Tom Riddle, but considering how little human is left in Voldemort (splitting his soul in seven parts, having no body for 10 years, drinking unicorn blood, and so forth) that might not be possible.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

ThePQ4

« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2007, 21:29 »

Yeeeeeeah... I don't think that Voldemort would be tricked by a boggart. He's a bit smarter then that...

I actually started writing "my version" of book six and seven after book 5 came out, went on a hiatus, and picked it up again last fall to tie it (slightly) back into book six, but being as how it is slash, it is pretty much impossible that it will tie into book seven. ...I will finish it one day. I went back onto hiatus after Christmas vacation, because of stupid writers block.

I love fan fiction. It's delicious.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2007, 22:36 »

I don't know, I like it. The part about having weekends off to search for the Horcruxes is a bit strange, I don't think Voldemort would just chill during the week, and certainly Harry wouldn't place teaching anywhere near his top priorities.

As for the last word of the book, I consider that a useless tease that really wouldn't indicate in any way how the book is going to end, and all these people are getting excited over nothing.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2007, 06:54 »

No offense to LeeZion, but that's one's pretty weak in comparisson. The random resurrection has been done to death, is a major copout and I, for one, am glad Rowling's claiming Dumbledore's staying dead. I'd also have to agree that the Boggart angle is pretty flimsy. Aside from it being a copout in and of itself in terms of a big, epic, final battle, it's also completely unbelievable. Voldemort, even paniced and without his Horcruxes, is still one of the most powerful wizards in the story's canon. A boggart just maintains the shape of what you fear, not the legitimate power (As I doubt Snape would ever have allowed Neville to dress him up like an old woman). It wouldn't take Voldemort particularly long to determine that "Voldemort" was not what he appeared to be.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2007, 07:13 »

Dumbledore dies.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:21 »

SNAPE KILLS OPTIMUS
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:25 »

0bsessions

• Quiki
JON MADE ME GAY

CmonMiracle

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:46 »

Johnny, you used to be cool

Until you ruined my thread!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:48 »

Ruined...or made excellent?!
JON MADE ME GAY

CmonMiracle

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:48 »

No offense to LeeZion, but that's one's pretty weak in comparisson. The random resurrection has been done to death, is a major copout and I, for one, am glad Rowling's claiming Dumbledore's staying dead. I'd also have to agree that the Boggart angle is pretty flimsy. Aside from it being a copout in and of itself in terms of a big, epic, final battle, it's also completely unbelievable. Voldemort, even paniced and without his Horcruxes, is still one of the most powerful wizards in the story's canon. A boggart just maintains the shape of what you fear, not the legitimate power (As I doubt Snape would ever have allowed Neville to dress him up like an old woman). It wouldn't take Voldemort particularly long to determine that "Voldemort" was not what he appeared to be.

You forget, Harry faced a boggart in the shape of a Dementor and it still affected him. It should have some of the powers of whatever it is imitating, I think.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:52 »

I don't forget, he passed out. It's just as likely that he passed out from fear as that's one of the chief threats of a Dementor to begin with. A boggart can mimic the gruesome terror of a Dementor, but it likely can't mimic the high level of magical ability that Voldemort knows Dumbledore has.

Beyond that, I get the feeling that a boggart would more than likely turn into the spectre of death for Voldemort than anything. They seemed to go a long way towards establishing in book six that Voldemort has an intense fear of death. He most likely fears Dumbledore not for his power, but because he could send him to his death.
JON MADE ME GAY

CmonMiracle

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:53 »

Ruined...or made excellent?!

No.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jul 2007, 09:55 »

I don't forget, he passed out. It's just as likely that he passed out from fear as that's one of the chief threats of a Dementor to begin with. A boggart can mimic the gruesome terror of a Dementor, but it likely can't mimic the high level of magical ability that Voldemort knows Dumbledore has.

Beyond that, I get the feeling that a boggart would more than likely turn into the spectre of death for Voldemort than anything. They seemed to go a long way towards establishing in book six that Voldemort has an intense fear of death. He most likely fears Dumbledore not for his power, but because he could send him to his death.

I can't say for sure what Voldemort fears the most, however, I'm pretty sure he didn't pass out from fear since as he faced the Dementor-Boggart, he could hear his parent's voices and also needed chocolate afterwards, symptoms of a Dementor.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 11 Jul 2007, 10:41 »

Dumbledore is dead. He was killed by an Avada Kedavra and is dead. I liked Dumbledore too, but seriously, Rowling gave him a good death, so let him stay dead. And no offense, but it says in the 6th book that Harry won't be returning to school and they're probably going to end up closing it anyways, so I really doubt him becoming a teacher, minus the whole age thing. I don't think much, if any, of the last book will largely take place in Hogwarts. Harry has a lot of searching to do for the other Horcruxes and he has to find out how to destroy them, as well as probably trying to sabotage whatever Voldemort will be up to. I expect him to travel around far too much to even consider the possibility of him becoming a teacher at that point.

I also doubt the bogart. Bogarts turn into what you fear, yes, but I doubt their ability to do magic. I think the thing with Harry was a unique case, as it didn't seem to affect Lupin like it did Harry and Lupin was there with him close by.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #34 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:27 »

Dumbledore is dead. He was killed by an Avada Kedavra and is dead.

But how do you know Dumbledore was hit by an Avada Kedavra curse? Yes, Snape said the words, but as we learned in the fourth book, if the words are spoken without any real power behing them, the intended victim wouldn't get so much as a nosebleed. We also know that it's possible to say a curse silently. So perhaps Snape said the words while using an entirely different curse, to make it look good for everyone else.

Also, Harry would NOT have to spend a lot of time traveling. He can Apparate.

But it's a moot point. For one thing, I never wrote my version — the amount of time I would have had to devote to it, plus my having to wrap up all those side plots (elves, giants, the werewolf who attacked Lupin, etc.) made it too difficult a task. And besides,we'll all find out for real in 10 days.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:34 »

I reckon Dumbledore is dead. However I don't think Snape used the Adava Kedavra to do it. He said the words and the green magic flew out of his wand but Dumbledore went flying over the parapet whereas everyone else in the series who has ever been hit with that curse doesn't fly anywhere, they just drop. I think Snape used a different curse so that he wouldn't go down for using an Unforgivable Curse. Dumbledore was pretty weak at that stage and an Expelliarmus would have probably finished him off as well. Doesn't change much of the storyline though but I've wanting to put forward that theory for a little over a year.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ThePQ4

« Reply #36 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:34 »

I concur with Linds. People who are dead tend to stay dead --with the exception of Wormtail (as I believe has been mentioned), when it comes to Rowling.

However, I don't want to think that they'll be closing the school. Harry being a teacher is a ludicris idea, but I think that they are going to strive to keep the school open, and if not open as a -school-, I think it is still going to play a major location. You can't just...not have the central location of six previous books, you know? So, while they may not be educating there, I think that Hogwarts will still be a safe haven.

Ack, I just want this damn book to come out so we can stop tossing around these ideas. It's very frustrating to know that out there, there are people who already know what happens...cruel bastards.

Edit: To what Jimmy said, yeeeeah... I dunno about that. Maybe a different curse, but certaintly not Expelliamus. It's not powerful enough to kill someone. It just knocks their wand from their hand, nothing more. We need a dictionary of spells. THen we could have a proper argument about what else he could have used, I think.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2007, 13:36 by ThePQ4 »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:43 »

I'm not making any assumptions as to what curse he did use, Im just saying that Dumbledore was pretty much fucked anyway and Snape needed something flashy but not actually Unforgivable. Besdies, the disarming spell is red. Everyone knows that.

Also, if my theory proves correct then I also postulate that Snape did it because, for liablity reasons, it would have been the fall that killed Dumbledore, not the curse...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ThePQ4

« Reply #38 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:49 »

...Dude, they're wizards. I don't think they care much about liabilities and such. That's kind of a muggle thing. Either way, the "fall" was caused by the curse/jinx/hex/spell/whatever you want to say he did in place of the Unforgivable, so -either way-, Severus is at fault... Unless, I miss understand something? And why are we all focusing on Dumbledore dying? He's dead, get over it. I don't think why, or how he died is going to play much of a part, except as to whether or not Severus is still "good' or "bad", which (I hope) is cleared up very early in the book.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:49 »

An unrelated prediction: Ron and Hermione are definitely going to end up together. It's set up too perfectly not to happen. It's the perfect cliche and frankly I don't see Rowling being a good enough writer to avoid it at this point. (Don't get me wrong, I love the HP series. The books are very entertaining. But literary brilliance they are not).
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ThePQ4

« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:51 »

::gasp::  Blashphemer!

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #41 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:53 »

Uh PQ4 I'm a little disappointed you're too up for a Harry Potter argument to see a joke when it is fairly obvious. It's like when pirates say that for legal purposes, it will be the ocean that kills you.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #42 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:56 »

I meant not spend a lot of time traveling, but traveling to many places. I don't expect him to stay in on place for long periods of time. He has searching to do and he's got to go out and do it. There may be a place he goes to in between, like headquarters or Hogwarts or something, but I think he's mostly going to be abroad. Apparate is still traveling, just a quick version of it.

And about Dumbledore, even if the possibility that Snape didn't use the AK, I severely doubt Dumbledore would have survived much after what he'd just gone through. He'd already pretty much lost a hand and he was very old (150 according to what people have been saying on Leaky Cauldron), so I don't think he would have survived after that potion he drank anyways. And I feel he had a noble death. Sirius didn't come back, Harry's parents didn't come back (and won't), so I am going to stick with Dumbledore staying dead.

ThePQ4

« Reply #43 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:57 »

Riiiiight...
Yeah, it's been to long since I've had a decent Potter-related argument. I tend to walk away from them, as those who get into them with me are idiots who don't know what they are talking about... But i get it now...sort of. I need to go back to sleep, I think.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jul 2007, 13:59 »

Dumbledore is dead. He was killed by an Avada Kedavra and is dead.

But how do you know Dumbledore was hit by an Avada Kedavra curse? Yes, Snape said the words, but as we learned in the fourth book, if the words are spoken without any real power behing them, the intended victim wouldn't get so much as a nosebleed. We also know that it's possible to say a curse silently. So perhaps Snape said the words while using an entirely different curse, to make it look good for everyone else.

But it's a moot point. For one thing, I never wrote my version — the amount of time I would have had to devote to it, plus my having to wrap up all those side plots (elves, giants, the werewolf who attacked Lupin, etc.) made it too difficult a task. And besides,we'll all find out for real in 10 days.

Dumbledore IS dead. Read any interview from Rowling since book six. He's dead and buried.

The traveling time is not a concern, but the searching is. Harry has no idea WHERE the Horcruxes are. He can't just apparate to where they are without knowing. He's not likely to have time in between TEACHING (Which takes a lot more time than merely attending school) classes to look for them, he'd need to dedicate all his time.
JON MADE ME GAY

SeanBateman

« Reply #45 on: 11 Jul 2007, 20:27 »

Voldemort may die, but Harry wont kill him, at least not with any of the spells you guys know. They're called unforgiveable curses because they're evil. If any of you had seen Star Wars, you'd know that killing someone evilly just makes you evil. Cmon now, you don't want Harry to be a Dark Jedi.

Mnementh

« Reply #46 on: 11 Jul 2007, 22:44 »

See, Kiff, I've been hoping for a few books that it would go down that way, but I suspect he has a bit too much Luke Skywalker in him and will wind up being the whiny little brat whose friends save him once again.

ThePQ4

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jul 2007, 05:26 »

Omg, I am so totally going to ingnore that your new sig is from one of my stories, Dan. Omg.

As for Harry Potter/Star Wars --TOTALLY AWESOME, but I think that J.K. may have realized the similarity and has made extra sure that it's not gonna go down like that. Plus, if it were something like that ---doing something evil, makes you evil, I think it would have come up before, you know? Although, I suppose Wormtail could be an example of that...I mean, sure he was an idiotic git, but was pretty good until ratting out the Potters and joining Voldemort.... Hmmmmm....

ToxicScarecrow

Re: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows!
« Reply #48 on: 12 Jul 2007, 09:33 »

Wow, I love the original poster's suggested ending. That would be extremely fitting, though unlikely it will actually happen. I was just discussing some predictions with my friend last night, so I figured I'd post 'em.

We both agreed it would be likely a weasley would die...either one of the twins or one of the parents die early, which would create tension with the either teh remaining parent or twin being distraught and would also offer some character development for Ron (we were both tired of Ron being second fiddle to everyone). I would hate for a twin to die, but if one died early and then the other went all beserk in the last battle...would rock.

We also thought Hagrid would probably die, just cause it seems every father-figure type character that Harry has dies. But Remus lives and subs in as a father figure for Harry (if Harry lives). If Remus dies though, he deserves an important death, stopping the werewolves or something.

Hermione should be wrong about something important for once. Neville and Luna should end up together, it would be too cute. They will go back to the Ministry and more will be revealed about the 'black veil'. I think there will be something with the Malfoy family that will be an important point. Ditto for Neville's parents. We thought maybe Hermione's parents would get killed in a Voldie killing spree in a muggle town. I think there mighta been more, but that's just stuff we thought would be fitting or likely to come up.

I'm so excited for the new book

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #49 on: 12 Jul 2007, 10:27 »

I'd guess one of the Weasley's is going to die as well, particularly likely a parent, Percy or Ginny. I wouldn't bank on the twins as they're really not in much of a dangerous position. They're not particularly active and would be about the least likely of the kids for Voldemort to strike out at in order to hurt the others.

The parents are likely for the obvious reasons of their involvement with the Order. Ginny, being Harry's primary love interest, would also carry a certain emotional weight. Percy is the most expendable and considering his current "outs" status with the rest of the family, killing him would create that "Oh, if only we'd tried harder in the end" tension.
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up