THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 16:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HP: Order of the Pheonix (movie)  (Read 21845 times)

Lines

• Awakened
HP: Order of the Pheonix (movie)
« on: 11 Jul 2007, 10:25 »

Ok, there are multiple topics about the last book, but this topic is about the recent movie, so sorry if you're sick of all the Harry Potter threads, but I didn't want to derail the topics about the last book.

So. I went and saw the midnight showing last night (no I did not dress up) and overall the experience was pretty damn good. Without giving spoilers, I really liked what the director did with this movie. The atmosphere was closer to that of the book and I really liked the new cast members (Umbridge and Luna). Though Umbridge doesn't really fit the physical character description, she did an excellent job in the part and her office was completely hideous with its meowing kitten plates. Luna was just her spacey self. Helena Bonham Carter was also an excellent casting choice. The only major downside, I thought, was that is was a bit rushed. For being the longest book, the movie was only 2.5 hours long.

Anyone else seen it yet? Thoughts?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: HP: Order of the Pheonix (movie)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2007, 11:02 »

I'm not seeing it until tomorrow, so I think for the time being this should be hijacked into a thread about Harry Potter related sexual inuendos and pickup lines.

"Dude, I'd be the prisoner of her azkaban anytime."
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2007, 11:30 »

I'm seeing it next week maybe?

The only credible film critics I am aware of gave it 3.5 stars which means it's pretty good but they said the same thing as Linds; a little bit rushed. I was really hoping they were going to get a different actress for Umbridge but, as I found out when Philosopher's Stone was on the telley earlier, the actress I would havecast is already Madam Sprout. Which would make it difficult for her to play a different character. Ahh well...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2007, 14:06 »

(no I did not dress up)

Thank you.
I am waiting until the 20th to go see it before I pick up the book...but the trailers do get me rather excited to go see it. I think this new director did a really nice job with it, compared to some of the previous films... I don't think it could be as bad as what Cuaron did with PoA (waaaaay to dark). I had some friends who went and saw it last night, and one of them who reviewed on Facebook/Flickster said it was very good.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2007, 22:33 »

I am seeing it tonight after work. I'm looking forward to seeing Helena Bonham Carter, but apparently she's not in it for very long. Which is disappointing as what I've seen of her looks pretty good.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Mnementh

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2007, 22:36 »

I have tickets to see it tomorrow evening.  I'm looking forward to it.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2007, 22:37 »

Nah, I like my films to be a bit more grown up. More violence. And sex, sex is always good. And there's just not enough in Harry Potter.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2007, 22:43 »

I can not wait to see it as this film series is one of the few that I can actually go out and see a film with my mom and we will actually have a good time

really, I owe her for having her take a friend and I to see Pokemon: The First Movie

TrekkieTechie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2007, 00:13 »

Literally just walked in from seeing it.

I feel slightly guilty -- I think the movie was better than the book. Yes, heresy, fetch your pitchforks, torches, etc. But it was much more tightly woven than the book in many ways (the Traitor!Cho subplot? the Legilimency/Occlumency final-battle tie-in? Harry's snarky last words to Umbridge? hell yes) -- it's as though they took what JKR came up with and refined it; they created what JKR should have written in the first place. Sweet!Grawp was excellent. The underlying theme of family was executed pretty well.

The final battle was fluid and realistic (or as realistic as a bunch of wizards fighting for good vs. evil can be), and the visual effects were potent without being overpowering. I agree it was too quickly-paced in general -- and it almost isn't that it's too quickly paced, it's that there was no real sense of time passing; it felt like it all took place in September -- but some of the editing was infuriatingly slow (holding too long on the wrong shots, et cetera). The score was at times perfect and at other times strangely absent.

Also interesting, as always, is what's included and what's not leading to clues about what's important and what's not in the book(s). No mention of prefects is made; Sirius' two-way mirror is conspicuous only by its absence, though JKR has said it will play a part in Book 7. Kreacher was included, reportedly at JKR's instructions, so we know she has some control over what's included and what's not.

The best of the movies so far; the only I'll be guaranteed to purchase for home viewing.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2007, 08:14 by TrekkieTechie »
No matter where you go, there you are.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2007, 01:32 »

AWESOME!

Also for some reason I have a picture of Ariel from The Little Mermaid next to my smileys.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2007, 03:27 »

Overall pretty enjoyable but defintely the corniest movie i've seen in a long time. Honestly some of the dialogue seemed to just be brimming with diabetes, it's still not as bad as the last one but nowhere near as good as Prisoner of Azkaban. I went to see it with friends which made it all better, for example one of them remarked how similar Luna Lovegood was to Cyndi Lauper and i just couldn't stop giggling for the next hour. I was also amused by Sirius' death scene as it was pretty much the exact scene as when Gandalf falls in Moria during LOTR. Just replace frodo with harry and boromir with lupin (both Wood and Bean are far superior actors though) and you have the same; a character dies, slomo muted shot of the innocentish character screaming NOOOOOOOOO, redheaded bearded character holds him.

I also didn't like Helena Bonham Carter very much because she was really just playing her role in Big Fish (which was also a far better movie).

I did however love Umbridge, and her office was a perfect study in kitsch

[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2007, 05:32 »

I don't think it could be as bad as what Cuaron did with PoA (waaaaay to dark).

Gonna have to completely disagreed with you there. PoA is, in my opinion, the best of the films so far, and by quite some distance.

Going to see OotP tonight and am really genuinely looking forward to it, I have never really be that pushed about the previous films, but think the excitement building round the last book has spilled over to this film for me
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

ThePQ4

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2007, 05:40 »

I think the movie was better than the book.

BLASHPHEMY!

As for Kreacher being in the film, via Rowlings request --yes, because he did have an interesting role in the 5th novel (and I'm not sure if that role was upheld in the movie, since i won't see it until next week), and I think he'll be making a fairly important return in the last book... I like that Rowling has some say in what goes on in the movies, because she kind of keeps it real, and can veto anything that is ludicris --such as, in the PoA when Cuaron wanted to have tiny little people playing a piano or something, and Rowling said no, because that was just something that wouldn't exists in her world... I wish she would have vetoed that goddamn shrunken head. Cripes. That thing still pisses me off...

And I'm not saying that PoA was a bad film, or that Cuaron is a bad director (quite the contrary, I love his films), but I wanted that kind of darkness for later...I mean, the third one is still sort of...light, and airy, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel sort of thing. Harry is never in any actual great peril in it...Where as the tunnel begins to close at the end of the 4th film, which (after watching it again recently), was done very well... I have high hopes for OotP, but I am worried about being disappointed. OotP is one of my favorite books, and I want it done justice. Ack.

TrekkieTechie

• Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:19 »

I think the movie was better than the book.

BLASHPHEMY!

As for Kreacher being in the film, via Rowlings request --yes, because he did have an interesting role in the 5th novel (and I'm not sure if that role was upheld in the movie, since i won't see it until next week), and I think he'll be making a fairly important return in the last book...

Yes, I am a heretic. Hell, I think I'm a heretic -- movies are never better than the books. And the thing is, Kreacher doesn't have a huge role in this movie, so the only possible reason for his inclusion is that he has some über-important role to play in Deathly Hallows. So we can infer from this that Kreacher is more important than, say, the two-way mirrors, because even though Rowing said they'll play a part in DH, she didn't insist on them being present in the film.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:24 »

I feel slightly guilty -- I think the movie was better than the book.

Really? I didn't like the movie at all. I went in with great hopes (I've loved all the other Harry Potter movies so far), but I was just so disappointed. I mean sure, great special effects and a great story. But really, I felt like the movie was just sum up of the book. Something like "in case you didn't read it, here's the most important stuff that happened." Which it basically is.

I feel like they could have done so much more with this movie. I felt a lot less connected with the characters in this movie than in the others.

Maybe it also has to do with the fact that the book was so much that it was impossible to get all the important story details in AND make it a good movie. I feel like they cut out several parts of the movie to make it of a presentable length (I believe just over two hours).

*Spoiler if you haven't read the books (which you should. NOW)*
Plus, Am I the only one who thinks the scene with the weasleys leaving school could have been so much cooler/was a lot cooler in the book?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:36 »

I went in feeling fairly apathetic about the whole thing, but was pleasantly surprised. The soundtrack was good, even without John Williams, and the theme which has annoyed me since the first movie was not in it. Yay.

Luna Lovegood was great. Not what I pictured, but fit really well. Helena Bonham Carter does nuts quite well, and it looked as if she did her own hair and makeup. That must have cut costs, eh? I was hoping they'd put the whole 'bird turning into an egg then hatching into a bird then turning into an egg again' thing in, but it wasn't that important, so I wasn't that surprised. Would have been cool to see, though.

There were a few gripes about curses being in there when they shouldn't and a speech of Harry's which was said a bit early in the whole storyline.(I'm trying to be specific enough while not giving spoilers, so sorry about the vague-ness) Also, does Emma Watson ever not say her lines quite quickly, pause for a stupid amount of time then rush through her next bit of dialogue?
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

TrekkieTechie

• Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:39 »

StaedlerMars, I guess I went in knowing that the book as I knew it would be gutted and rebuilt from the ground up, especially with the shortest runtime of any HP movie so far. *shrugs* I don't know, something about it just felt right. And I'm not saying they did a perfect job translating the book's events, characters, and locations to the screen -- there were a lot of little things that didn't match up with what I see in my head when I read the books -- but overall I thought they did a great job on it. I'm definitely looking forward to a Special Edition or Director's Cut DVD, I think they cut something like 30 minutes to get it down to this runtime.

I didn't care for the abruptness of the post-dream scene -- dream, Snape mind-raping Harry, oh look we're at Grim Old Place and it's Christmas now and the Weasleys are here and Arthur is jacked up but out of St. Mungo's. That goes back to the issues I think it had with 'passage of time', I'm really hoping the shooting script had something in between there.

Eris, that is so true about Emma Watson.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2007, 11:43 »

Watching the fourth movie was like reading the book on fast-forward.

Watching the fifth movie was like reading the book with all the subtle nuances removed.

In terms of scenes, everything that absolutely needed to get in, stayed — but at a cost of taking the meaning and emoton out of it. The biggest failure was just after Harry saved Arthur, but it happened in other places as well. The explanation about the prophesy also would have helped. Marietta Edgecombe wasn't in the movie and thus what was also lost was the sense of moral ambiguity — that a character who isn't evil could do something so terribly wrong, believing herself to do the right thing.

It also would have been fun to see Harry's failed date with Cho, the swamp on the fifth floor, the nifflers and the flying brains.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2007, 14:01 »

Watching the fifth movie was like reading the book with all the subtle nuances removed.

In terms of scenes, everything that absolutely needed to get in, stayed — but at a cost of taking the meaning and emoton out of it.

Well put

I'm definitely looking forward to a Special Edition or Director's Cut DVD, I think they cut something like 30 minutes to get it down to this runtime.

If that came out, I most definitely would look into it, just to see what they decided wasn't important enough. But as it stands now, I don't think I would buy the DVD (I might consider it for completeness sake).

I think what I was trying to say is: This movie couldn't stand alone and be a good movie. It needs the books for the little details. It felt to rushed. If you want to compare it to the Lord of the Rings films: I thought each film could stand apart and be good, you didn't need to read the books to like it. You didn't need to really have seen the other movies.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2007, 15:46 »

I think I'm going to wait to see it until it's out on DVD, because I don't really know anyone that would go with me to watch it. I got them to watch the 3rd movie, but not the 4th, so probably not this one either.. I kinda feel like all the movies are a too rushed, especially the 3rd, so I mostly stick to the books, and watch the movies once just to see what they're like.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2007, 18:04 »

It also would have been fun to see Harry's failed date with Cho, the swamp on the fifth floor, the nifflers and the flying brains.

Agreed. I think the part I was looking forward to most was Fred and George's departure and they left out the swamp and the firecrackers exploding when people would try to curse them. I was also looking forward to all the rooms that were mentioned in the book when they went through the different doors, but oh well. They did get some of the other awesome parts in there, though, like the Patronus charms flying around the room and Umbridge being carried off by the centaurs. Also, the fight scene was really interesting and well done, but I don't think I cared for the way they killed Sirius in the movie compared to the book. It wasn't supposed to be "OMGZ NOOOOO", but more of a "Where'd he go and why didn't he get up?" (But Sirius was one of my favorite characters, so that's probably why. I was expecting to be really sad about it, but I didn't even get teary eyed. Which for me is really weird.)

Mnementh

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2007, 18:13 »

Definitely not the worst, definitely not the best.  It felt rushed, the timing was off, and the climax was too abrupt.  Almost Terry "Oh shit I forgot a plot for this book and now I have twenty pages to stuff all of it into" Prachett abrupt.  And it definitely wasn't dark enough.  Sirius dies people, why the smiles at the end, and the cliched "we've got each other" line.  This was supposed to be the Empire Strikes Back of Harry Potter movies.

That said, I still enjoyed it, though every time Alan Rickman is on screen I think of Hans Gruber, and the "I am going to penetrate your mind" gave me bad flashbacks to Harry Potter slashfic.

Oh and when Hermione and Ron faced off with wands in the practice room I was sorely tempted to pull out my harmonica to set the mood properly.  I doubt any one in the theatre would have gotten it though.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2007, 18:18 by Daniel »

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2007, 19:43 »

About the soundtrack, I'm pretty sure I'll have to see it a few times to be able to make a definite comment on the music. The first time I see movies it's normally "Ooh, pretty music! Back to the actors now", but once I know what's going to happen it's easier to listen to what the soundtrack's trying to do. That being said, I like what I paid attention to a lot.

I also thought it was going to be darker, and some of the lines were disgustingly cheesy. Groan inducingly bad. but it's been like that in all the movies, so I was expecting at least one of them. One of the people who I saw it with was getting all indignant about some of the spells used, but it's gotten tot he point where you go 'It's just a movie, it was never going to be exactly the same as the book, as some things just won't work. Stop whingeing."
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 2007, 21:01 »

I haven't seen any of the movies since the first one, and the fifth book is by far my least favorite of the series so I have no plans to see this one.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

TrekkieTechie

• Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2007, 21:30 »

StaedlerMars, you really think that someone with no prior LOTR knowledge could sit down, watch Return of the King, and come away understanding what happened and why? I guess I need new movie buddies. Then again, one of the people I saw it with has read the first four books and claims to have not understood anything that occurred on-screen... but then again again, he's not the brightest crayon in the drawer.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2007, 00:46 »

Got to agree with what other people have been saying and say this one just felt a bit too rushed, I know there was a lot of material that had to be cut out, but I feel that , even without adding any extra subplots from the book, this film could have / should have been about 20 minutes longer, just to give the film more room to breath.

Also, and I think this has been true of all the films, I found myself filling in gaps with my knowledge of the books. I really can't imagine watching any of these films without any prior knowledge of the source material.

But despite my gripes I think this was one of the better movies, second only to PoA even.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2007, 06:27 »

While it was, like any other movie, not without it's flaws; I actually loved it.

Obvious spoilers ahead:

One of the biggest complaints I've heard around the internet is a lack of proper transition from scene to scene and I didn't see that at all. Most scenes tended to flow naturally to the next and it doesn't exactly take a whole lot of presumption on the part of the audience to see how it got there.

The subtleties were definitely there in many places. A big example that really impressed me early on was Lupin. He looked absolutely fucking haggared. Given that he looked rough around the edges in Prisoner of Azkaban, but here he looked beat the fuck up. He was the first I noted it in and everybody else had it going on, everyone looked tired and worn down, exactly as they should. The only person who looked to be in better shape than before was Sirius, but he really had nowhere to go but up from when last we saw him.

Michael Gambon, for his smaller role, knocked it out of the park for me. He made the most of every single second of screen time. One of my personal favorites was the reluctant look on his face when he retreated from Trelwaney's sacking with Harry quite obviously trying to get his attention.

The newcomers were fantastic. Lynch's Lovegood seems to get lost in the shuffle of all the rave review I've heard for Staunton's role. Lynch absolutely pulled me into the role with her ditzy and spacey performance. Even the vacant look on her face worked. Pretty much exactly as I imagined her.

That's not to detract from Ms. Staunton, who did a brilliant job with Umbridge. The girl I saw it with agreed that, though she didn't look quite like we would picture, she had never been this...unsettling in the books. It'd be really hard to find an actress to have done so well with the role, and I'll take the visual loss for the sheer sugar coated evil Staunton brought to the table.

All the returning regulars pleased me just as well. Rickman was brilliant as always. Maggie Smith, though I would love to have seen more of her, was fantastic as usual. The Twins were outstanding. There were really very few outright lacking performances, in my mind (Though Katie Leung left something to be desired, I'm not sure if that was her or that Cho has always utterly bored me to tears).

I don't believe I've seen anyone argue the merits of the effects and the actions, but they bear mentioning: absolutely spectacular. That final fight at the Department of Mysteries was excellent.

The obvious liberties taken all worked for me. Obviously, there are going to be things cut, but most of the changes to the pacing seemed to make complete sense to me. Most of the sacrifices seem to be insubstantial to the overall plot and experience compared to other things that made it in.

Though I would've loved to see more on Neville and an accurate telling of the original prophecy, a lot of time was saved on that. It would've eaten a good ten to fifteen minutes to really get the meat of that plot.

George and Fred's exit worked fine for me, as most of it was tied to the end of Quidditch and the confiscation of their brooms, something that would've taken a good deal of time to delve into accurately. Coinciding it with OWLs also tied that all up rather nicely.

It would have been nice to see more Kreacher, but he really was just a means to an end in most situations. The way they expedited Harry's decision to head to the Ministry worked perfectly fine for me.

All told, I obviously loved it. I will likely see it again in theaters and will most definitely be buying it on DVD. It'll take at least another viewing for me to decide where it places on my rankings in terms of each movie, but at worst it's number two. If I enjoy it as much the second time through, it'll take the place of Prisoner of Azkaban as my favorite.
JON MADE ME GAY

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2007, 07:01 »

Obvious spoilers ahead:

Michael Gambon, for his smaller role, knocked it out of the park for me. He made the most of every single second of screen time. One of my personal favorites was the reluctant look on his face when he retreated from Trelwaney's sacking with Harry quite obviously trying to get his attention.

One thing that annoyed me about that scene, was his "Haven't you all got studying to do" line at the end, seemed a bit deperate, like he was letting Umbridge get to him, which is something I don't think fits in with my vision of Dumbledore. The way I see him, no matter what the situation, no matter what internal turmoil he may be experiencing he always presents this completely unruffuled exterior. It just didn't sit right with me.

George and Fred's exit worked fine for me, as most of it was tied to the end of Quidditch and the confiscation of their brooms, something that would've taken a good deal of time to delve into accurately. Coinciding it with OWLs also tied that all up rather nicely.

I also enjoyed that scene, but really missed the "Give her hell Peeves" moment from the book.

One thing that I couldn't help but noticing, and this sounds horribly fan boy-esqe of me but, isn't Harry's hair supposed to be really unkempt and "untamable" (god that sounds horribly like a line straight from mills and boon, but you know what I mean), yet the whole way through this film, and particularly when he's on his way to the hearing early on, its so perfectly neat. I mean that is something really easy to carry over from the book. It's not something I'd normally complain about, and in fact I'm not complainig per say, but I just couldn't help but notice it.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2007, 07:22 »

The first complaint I can understand, though I don't agree. That's a matter of personal interpretation. To me, in the book, he seemed almost antagonistic in his attempts to cut himself off.

In terms of the last two, it's understandable that neither made it in as neither was specifically covered in any of the movies.

Peeves has been completely missing throughout the first four, so they'd have to introduce him to begin with to get that in there.

In terms of the hair issue, it seems logical to think "Well, it's just a trait of the character, why not carry it over whether it's been outright mentioned or not." The pitfall there is that the audience that hasn't read the books would be absolutely clueless. Common sense dictates that if a student's off to an actual court hearing to decide whether he gets expelled, he'll tidy himself up a bit. There's really no effective quick explanation five movies in that wouldn't leave the audience thinking "Wait, what?"

My only real big, genuine complaint stems more from a glaring mistake made with the fourth one: Where the fuck is Barty Crouch Jr. in all this? He was killed by Dementors in the end of Goblet of Fire, but the movie going audience doesn't know that. They know that he's been captured and that a little bit of veritaserum would clear up the whole Voldemort angle, so where the fuck is he? I'm really displeased that that didn't get covered in the last movie, as I knew they wouldn't have time to establish what happened in this one.
JON MADE ME GAY

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jul 2007, 07:39 »

Fair enough on all your points, PoA is actually the only one of the films I have seen more than once, so I often forget what has / hasn't been included in the other films.

Like I said, none of my above points where major, or even minor complaints, just things I couldn't help but notice as a fan of the books

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2007, 08:02 »

Oh, completely understandable. You should see me at a comic book movie. I teared the ever living piss out of Spider-Man 3.

I've only read the books once and just did so last summer (I plowed through them all over a brief period when I had time), so some things are fresh while others slipped through. So, for my part, I get kind of the best of both worlds in terms of how I viewed the movie (As both an insider and outsider).

While there are scenes I would have loved to witness, I was very much satisfied with what ended up on the screen in the end. I've seen outright fanboyish bitching of a calibur that cannot be described. I've seen people bitching about missing plot elements that were so irrelevant I don't even fucking remember them. I've actually heard people complain about the fact that they never delved into Filch's magic for beginners stuff in previous installments. Really, how relevant to the overall story is that? Filch is a tertiery character at best.

I basically go it the way I went about the Lord of the Rings movies. It's kind of an abridged version, but ever so delightful. Plus, from there, as someone who's read the book you become the authority to friends who haven't. It gives a little bit of a sense of ego when people are asking you for little details, especially when it drives them to go read the book. I don't treat the movie as an incomplete scenario, I treat the books as an extra treat that makes the overall experience of the two combined a great time.

I'm just a disgusting, glaring optimist. But hey, I'm happier for it, myself.

And to Anyways: Was that really new? I'm pretty sure that was just a slight alteration to get Flitwick a bit more screen time. I seem to recall the book mentioning a delighted smirk on either Flitwick or McGonagall's face.

I too liked some of the little additions. Adding the adava kadavra to the Siruis situation which should, hopefully, take a bit of the annoying ambiguity out of his death (That addition is one I've heard MANY complaints about, but in the time alloted, it was the only way to kill him without going to the trouble of explaining the gateway).
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2007, 08:03 »

Not much to do with anything, but I don't get why they changed Flitwick's appearance since the first few movies. I don't know if it got changed in the 3rd or 4th, but he used to have flyaway white hair and wore robes. Now he's got short brown hair and wears black. I don't really get why or how that happened, because at first he looked like the character and now he doesn't really.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jul 2007, 08:07 »

I believe the change happened in the fourth. As I recall, Flitwick didn't really appear in the third movie and was barely in the fourth (Really, I can't remember him outside of the Yule Ball).

I couldn't come up with a real reason why, but I also can't really come up with a reason to care. Even in the course of the books, Flitwick's always been mostly just an incidental character expressly for the purpose of filling out the teaching staff. He's never really done much of anything important and I figure the only reason he got much of any screen time in the first movie was to establish levitation for the troll fight. Since then, he's pretty much been background comic relief, so I can't bring myself much to care what he looks like anymore.
JON MADE ME GAY

TrekkieTechie

• Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2007, 12:34 »

See, I don't like Michael Gambon at all for Dumbledore. Richard Harris's portrayal was perfect -- calm and collected, a little mysterious, he even looked the part. Gambon's Dumbledore is drugged out of his mind. He was okay in PoA, terrible in GoF (manhandling Harry, shouting at him? WTF) and just... austere in OotP. Which I suppose at the beginning he should have been a bit, as he was trying to cut himself off from Harry, but especially during/after the final battle -- I felt no more emotion from him when discussing the prophecy and its ramifications with Harry that if they'd been discussing the outcome of the last Quidditch match. And I agree with Faker, he seemed like he was losing it a bit against Umbridge in the Trelawney scene.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2007, 13:39 »

StaedlerMars, you really think that someone with no prior LOTR knowledge could sit down, watch Return of the King, and come away understanding what happened and why?

My point was enjoying, not understanding. Although it's probably equally important. I admit that LoTR was probably a bad example, but it was the only really comparable one I could think of. I think I could enjoy Return of the King if I hadn't seen the other movies. I mean, each movie gives a short summary of what happened prior, so you don't really need to. But I guess that's cheating.

Got to agree with what other people have been saying and say this one just felt a bit too rushed, I know there was a lot of material that had to be cut out, but I feel that , even without adding any extra subplots from the book, this film could have / should have been about 20 minutes longer, just to give the film more room to breath.

Also, and I think this has been true of all the films, I found myself filling in gaps with my knowledge of the books. I really can't imagine watching any of these films without any prior knowledge of the source material.

But despite my gripes I think this was one of the better movies, second only to PoA even.

Those 20 minutes is why I would watch a director's cut. I felt like this movie jumped from action to action, and there was a lot of details that I needed to fill in myself.

Also what happened to Hermoine's obsession with saving house elves?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jul 2007, 13:45 »

Her house elf obsession was cut for obvious reasons.

The most obvious of which being that it was completely cut from Goblet of Fire, where it started in the books. You can't follow up on a subplot that wasn't started to begin with.

Then there's the obvious time constraints. There's so much crap involved in the SPEW subplot and it really lends little to nothing to the overall plot of the series. There really was no point in wasting like ten to twenty minutes covering it in the movie.
JON MADE ME GAY

CmonMiracle

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul 2007, 14:25 »

Okay, now that I've slept for a day or so.

This movie flows very well, compared to the last movie, which was too cut and paste. I liked the newspaper theme which let us know what was going on without wasting too much time.

The new Dumbledore was better this time, still not what I'd want ideally. He was HORRIBLE in the last movie.

Umbridge was great! For some reason, I thought it might have been Will Ferrell in drag, that's how similar she looks.

They really need to find a good hairstyle for the boys. The long hippy style everyone sported in the last movie was no good, but Harry's Clark Kent this movie was equally horrible. Also, he needs a bit of a tan.

But as far as the story goes, I really liked it and they did a great job condensing the book into a managable time.

Mnementh

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jul 2007, 15:32 »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #38 on: 13 Jul 2007, 19:13 »

aah! that looks kind of terrifying. he looks a bit like the guy who played Frodo.

this thread is making it look like I have some sort of obsession with the LoTR. Which I swear I don't. I swear.

ThePQ4

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jul 2007, 21:06 »

Omg, that pic of Daniel Radcliff made me giggle more then I did when I saw the ons of him in his nuddie-pants. Hehehe.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2007, 10:19 »

rule number one is you do not talk about dueling club
rule number two is you do not talk about dueling club
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2007, 10:43 »

Luna: brilliant. Her and Snape were the best characters in the whole film.
Umbridge: brilliant. I actually preferred this portrayal to the book one I think.
Bellatrix: More please. The fight scene at the end was rather cool but too short. Also CHEESE.
Legilimency: useless. If you hadn't read the books you would have had SFA of a clue about what was going on.
Dumbledore: I agree with what Faker said about the "Haven't you all got studying to do?" That's just not cricket.
Snape's Memory: One of the best scenes in the book, ruined by stupid flashy jumpy editing and crap. BLAAGH.
Fred & George leaving: About 500% less fun than the book.

All in all, best one so far, in my opinion. Not that it's saying all that much.

Also, Natalia Tena,
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:39 »

NEEDS MOAR TONKS.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

iliketodraw

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:48 »

He looks like the chippendales threw up on him....

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jul 2007, 13:52 »

no one else sees that?
I think they could replace Harry with Frodo and no one would notice the difference.

It would be a harry potter LoTR mash up. It'd be glorious.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2007, 19:15 »

Creepiness overload. Seriously. I'm not sure if that's more or less creepy than the tongue eating thing.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:31 »

I just saw this the other night and it is easily my favourite out of the series which is interesting because I absolutely hated the book. It [the book] was way too much teenage angst and not enough real character development, in Harry at least, but the film actually showed Harry grow a little more as both a person and a wizard. The stuff they left out was not really necessary to the actual plot of the film so I'm ok with it not being there. The Zombie Horses were fucking awesome (I can't remember what they were called) and I kind of would have liked to see more in the way of classes that didn't make it into the film. However, I honestly don't think this film could have been done better without making it twice as long again. The subplots in the book were pretty huge and would have had to have sufficient detail to be given justice.

I don't think that Gambon did all that badly in the role as Dumbledore but there are definately some well deserved criticisms already mentioned in this thread. However there's no point thinking about how Harris would have done it as the only chance he's going to get to reprise the role is if Dumbledore comes back from the dead in the 7th film (he won't). I was honestly hoping that somebody like Michael Gough would have pulled the role off nicely but Gambon gets the eccentricity part of it right, he just loses all warmth in the process.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2007, 04:31 »

I went and saw it again tonight, and remembered something.

When Harry is possessed by Voldermort, and the memory flashes ar ehappening. There are scenes with Voldy standing there with a sunset in the background. Did anyone else think they looked like bad desktop wallpapers? I had the urge to yell "NEEDS MORE LENSFLARE".
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #48 on: 16 Jul 2007, 11:05 »

i went to see this on friday and about halfway through the theater caught on fire and we all had to evacuate and since it was so late when they finally got everything sorted out they couldnt start it back up again and they told us to leave and come back another time to get a free pass. the bastards.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #49 on: 16 Jul 2007, 12:58 »

bummer.

I didn't think things still caught on fire.

Apparently the theater had enough of Harry Potter

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up