THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP: Order of the Pheonix (movie)  (Read 21612 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: HP: Order of the Pheonix (movie)
« Reply #50 on: 16 Jul 2007, 17:50 »

yeah, i didn't think buildings randomly go up in flames anymore but apparently some part of this one did.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

TrekkieTechie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2007, 22:40 »

<random, almost-related anecdote>

My ladyfriend and I snuck in to see Casanova at the local movie theater. About fifteen minutes from the end, the film caught and burned -- awesome to see in person. Management came in and distributed free passes so people didn't have to wait around for the film to be rethreaded. We accepted our free passes, trying not to laugh, and waited for the movie to come back on.

SWM, they told you to come back later to get the free passes? They should've given them to you right then.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Mieville

« Reply #52 on: 17 Jul 2007, 00:05 »

I haven't read Harry, Potter, nope, none, nada.  Funnily enough, wasn't paying much attention to the plot as opposed to the cinematography.  The IB hath turned me into a monster.

So I goes into the movies and guess what, see how delightful people are putting Harry down, it was delightful.  Voldemort, Snape, Umbridge, such well played revolting/creepy characters.

Sirius' death is so anticlimatic, I was expecting him to catch on fire and disappear as his ashes were blown away by the wind or something.  But getting stun-shoved into portal leading to god-knows-where is just not right.

Only good bit during that part was:

Hasn't been long and stuff like this shows up.  Fun.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jul 2007, 04:06 »

Sirius' death is so anticlimatic, I was expecting him to catch on fire and disappear as his ashes were blown away by the wind or something.  But getting stun-shoved into portal leading to god-knows-where is just not right.

Well, he's not a fucking vampire.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jul 2007, 09:34 »

It would have made sense if you read the books. Just sayin'.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #55 on: 17 Jul 2007, 09:43 »

Actually, no. In the book, Sirius was hit with a curse that was something other than Avada Kedavra, and it pushes him beyond the veil. That made the whole thing ambiguous. And somehow, more tragic — his death was pointless.

In the movie he definitely gets hit by Avada Kedavra, and the force of it pushes him backwards into the veil. That makes it even more anticlimactic.

On another note, I really miss the flying brains.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #56 on: 17 Jul 2007, 09:48 »

In the film I thought he blocked it and was just pushed back through the veil. It looked like he blocked it because the Avada Kedavra kills you instantly and there was a moment when he looks at Harry and smiles then steps back into the veil and kind of gets pulled into it.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

TrekkieTechie

• Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 Jul 2007, 21:08 »

In the book he's hit by "a jet of green light". What other jets of green light do we know but the AK?

Mieville

« Reply #58 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:17 »

Well, he's not a fucking vampire.
I guess I shoulda came up with a better death scene.
It would have made sense if you read the books. Just sayin'.
Sorry, Harry Potter is not really my cup of tea.  I was lured into a cinema by a group of friends :roll:
Actually, no. In the book, Sirius was hit with a curse that was something other than Avada Kedavra, and it pushes him beyond the veil. That made the whole thing ambiguous. And somehow, more tragic — his death was pointless.

In the movie he definitely gets hit by Avada Kedavra, and the force of it pushes him backwards into the veil. That makes it even more anticlimactic.
I rest my case.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #59 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:06 »

His death is supposed to be confusing and anticlimactic. That's what I meant by that, sorry for the confusion.

In the book he's hit by "a jet of green light". What other jets of green light do we know but the AK?

Actually, I think it was a red light. (I'm re-reading the last 2 books because I'm a huge nerd.) In the book it wasn't the AK, but the people who made the movie, as usual, changed it. Actually, I don't know why they did it like that in the movie, when it's the arch that's the important part of his death, but I guess they wanted to make it more concrete.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

TrekkieTechie

• Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #60 on: 18 Jul 2007, 20:59 »

His death is supposed to be confusing and anticlimactic. That's what I meant by that, sorry for the confusion.

Actually, I think it was a red light. (I'm re-reading the last 2 books because I'm a huge nerd.) In the book it wasn't the AK, but the people who made the movie, as usual, changed it. Actually, I don't know why they did it like that in the movie, when it's the arch that's the important part of his death, but I guess they wanted to make it more concrete.

Quote from: JKRowling
Harry saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light ... The second jet of light hit him squarely in the chest.

I stand corrected. There's a passage earlier about them dodging a jet of green light from Bella, I guess that's what I was thinking of... hmm.

Mieville

« Reply #61 on: 20 Jul 2007, 08:29 »

Bah, still, I feel unfulfilled.
*goes to read notes for midterm exams and waits for the next Harry Potter cinema offering*

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #62 on: 23 Jul 2007, 10:04 »

I was going to see Transformers but I got baked and someone kept ranting about Emma Watson.

Worst decision I ever made in my life. Really, who the fuck would pass up Optimus Prime for "you need to think happy thoughts or Turn Undead won't work"? I would, because I suck.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #63 on: 23 Jul 2007, 12:42 »

I concur.  If you're stoned out of your mind, Transformers is the better of the two.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #64 on: 24 Jul 2007, 00:11 »

Man I've never been a fan of Mr. Potter and his chums. Dare I say it, I never read the books. However- I thought this was one fucking good ride. I enjoyed every minute. It was funny, scary, well acted, well thought out, well directed, REALLY well shot. You'd have to try damn hard not to like this flick. And only a black man could get away with saying Dumbledore's gotstyle.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #65 on: 24 Jul 2007, 09:40 »

I -finally- saw the movie on Friday night...And I think this one is like the fourth, in the sense that I will have to watch it again before I actually like it. They cut to much out, so I hate it, but the stuff that they kept was really good, and then of course they added unnessessary crap, which makes me hate it again...

I should just stay away from the films, but I need something to look forward to now...::sigh::

Mieville

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jul 2007, 12:23 »

Dumbledore's got style indeed.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #67 on: 25 Jul 2007, 21:34 »

Man I've never been a fan of Mr. Potter and his chums. Dare I say it, I never read the books. However- I thought this was one fucking good ride. I enjoyed every minute. It was funny, scary, well acted, well thought out, well directed, REALLY well shot. You'd have to try damn hard not to like this flick. And only a black man could get away with saying Dumbledore's gotstyle.

Kingsley Shacklebolt may have said it in the movie, but in the book that line gets said by Phineas Nigellus — a former headmaster at Hogwarts and one of the portraits on Dumbledore's wall. (He wasn't in the flick.)

Of course, since Phineas is Sirius' great-great grandfather, that makes him an honorary Black man.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jul 2007, 00:57 »

Of course, since Phineas is Sirius' great-great grandfather, that makes him an honorary Black man.

*Ba-Boom Tscih*
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Theplanman

« Reply #69 on: 26 Jul 2007, 23:33 »

My problem with the movies is as follows-

In order to make all the plot fit (an ominous task to be sure), most of the clever little things had to be taken away. More of Fred & George's triumphantly anarchist exit was sorely missed, as was all the Dept. of Mysteries weirdness (no bookshelf of Time-turners falling over forever!?) Wasn't there a portion of the Dumbledore/Voldemort fight involving animated statues? It wasn't all magical-energy volleyball (Dragonball Z has ruined the modern magical showdown) Nobody misses House-elf annoyances though, so that was appreciated.

And Cho was not nearly hot enough.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jul 2007, 06:12 »

All that shit is extraneous to the real plot and the scenes stood on their own without them. I don't understand people who complaing that "this little inconsequential detail" didn't make it into a movie based off of an incredibly long book.

And I should like to think Cho wasn't THAT hot. She's supposed to be like fifteen.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up