THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 23:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording equipment advice  (Read 2132 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Recording equipment advice
« on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:31 »

I recently moved, and with the money I'll be getting back from my rent and utilities deposits, I've decided to purchase some new toys. I want to buy a good-quality soundboard with USB capability, and a good microphone. This way, I can start assembling my own little in-home studio, and be able to bring you wonderful folks some more dramatic readings (among other things).

I perused a catalog we had laying around here at work, and found a couple good pieces of equipment that I'm considering, so now I'm asking you QC folk for your opinions. I'm looking to spend a total of no more than $250. I have a couple of options here:

Option 1: Podcast Starter combo
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=PODCAST-STARTER

I like this one because it has everything included in one package, including the mic stand. The board itself I can work with, but I'm not a huge fan of the rotary pots. It also has all the necessary cables, so I won't have to scalp any of that from any other sources. However, there are no headphones included, and all I own is a pair of earbuds.

Option 2: Microphone/Headset combo, Behringer board.
Microphone: http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=AT2020-M20PKG
Console: http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=XENYX-1204

Right now, this is the option I'm more leaning toward, simply because I prefer this console. It's more similar to what we have in all of our studios at work, and I just like it better. The microphone is the same as in option 1, but this deal includes a good quality set of headphones. It doesn't come with any accessories, so I'd need to acquire the mic cables, stand, etc.

Since $250 is a tidy chunk of change for me, I really want as much input on this before I buy as I can get. Anyone familiar with this sort of thing want to give me their thoughts? I'm mostly looking at a comparison of the two consoles, but really any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Recording equipment advice
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2007, 09:42 »

Well, as always, the price range will determine the quality of your purchases, and in recording equipment, it's not very forgiving.  So depending on your needs and how high of a quality recording you want to make (or will want to in the future) will have all the say in what you buy.

Both of those would definitely do the trick.  I, however, would never spend $150 (or anything, for that matter) on anything from Behringer.  If I were you, I would go for the pack with the Alesis board.  The only thing I would think of is to buy the pack piece by piece so that you could get a regular mic stand (probably with a boom) instead of the desk stand.  This will help if you want to record an acoustic guitar, or anything besides your voice really. 

Obviously you could spend a fortune, but when I took a good look at those links, the stuff looks like a pretty good starter pack.  I'm always skeptical of those "Podcast Starter Kit!!!" packages because of all the crap in them.  Those look pretty good, though.

Will

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2007, 10:16 »

The primary use for this is going to be for recording voice. I'd like to start getting my name out to trade publications in the broadcast industry to do voicework (commercial production, imaging, etc.) so as to make a few extra bucks on the side. I'll most likely not be recording any instruments at all.

I don't know about their consoles, but I know that Behrenger makes quite a fine product for a lot of their other broadcast-related equipment. About 30% of our studio rack gear is Behrenger - processors, gate compressors, that sort of thing - and they have worked beautifully for about 10 or so years. I have heard horror stories about their PA and amplifiers though, so it's kind of sketchy.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007, 10:46 »

If you're interested in some really good vocal micing your best bet would be a Shure Beta 58a.  I've used em tons a times and they're beautiful sounding.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007, 10:50 »

I'm not sure if I can help you with the rest of the stuff, but I've been warned about Behringer amps too. Warned by a friend who's dad owns and works with the gear youre ltalking about.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Will

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2007, 10:56 »

If I wanted the BEST vocal mic, I'd drop $400 on an ElectroVoice RE20. That mic is pretty much a broadcaster's wet dream right there. I have one in my office studio at work, but there's no way I can afford that kind of equipment right now.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2007, 07:27 »

If you're just looking at recording voice, check out some of the newer usb condensers, samson makes one, and infact alesis does one in a podcaster kit, which comes with headphones i think http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=109

I'll also add that a pop filter will be something you should look into also, really helps cutting down on the effect of the plosives.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2007, 00:08 by godinpants »

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2007, 21:26 »

I don't know about their consoles, but I know that Behrenger makes quite a fine product for a lot of their other broadcast-related equipment. About 30% of our studio rack gear is Behrenger - processors, gate compressors, that sort of thing - and they have worked beautifully for about 10 or so years. I have heard horror stories about their PA and amplifiers though, so it's kind of sketchy.

Behringer 10 years ago and Behringer today are two totally different beasts.

in the early to mid 90s they put out some fine products, but they make 100% utter SHITE now.

save your money up and get something that won't break within the first 6 months!
Pages: [1]   Go Up