THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Simpons Movie  (Read 16232 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
The Simpons Movie
« on: 17 Jul 2007, 08:57 »

Basically I am so excited I am bound to pee my pants at some point.

Kind a new trailer

It comes out in ten days people!

The trailer looks very promising - as trailers tend to do.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: The Simpons Movie
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2007, 10:10 »

I'm not really a big fan of the Simpsons, but I think I might see this --perhaps wait until it comes out on DVD, but it looks cute...err, if that's possible? The "Spider-Pig...Spider-Pig" bit on the trailers makes me laugh.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2007, 10:43 »

Gosh I'm excited. Really. I still love The Simpson's even if recent seasons have been very hit-and-miss. I don't know if I should have high or low expectations for this movie though. I really hope they can pull it off but I'm just not sure I see that happening. I'll probably go see this at the midnight showing because I think that would be an awesome experience. I basically want to see the reaction of all the incredibly hard core fans.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2007, 11:44 »

This movie comes out the day before my birthday. Go me...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2007, 12:57 »

I don't know, in the earlier seasons they were able to write episodes that seemed like mini-movies. I'm hoping they wrote a good script that actually is a movie script instead of just a really long episode, since they did bring back the great writers from the older seasons.
it's time to stop posting

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2007, 13:27 »

Looks like a funny movie but I fear that if the movie is shitty, the series might end because maybe people will think that The Simpsons jumped the shark

And I agree that the last seasons they made were not as good as, for example,  Season 9 cause it looks like they think that everytime some guest stars appears, it will be a great episode wich is not the case, it's a great show and I understand why this the longest-running american show, but the show has experienced a declining quality, I hope that the movie will give a new perspective of storyline and production to the show.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2007, 15:09 »

The Simpsons has sucked pretty hard for a while now, so I have little to no expectations for this movie. Though, admittedly, I did get a bit of of a chuckle when Homer was on the wrecking ball smashing into a giant rock and the building called 'A Hard Place'.

I'm actually more excited about the video game tie-in than the movie itself. I'm not sure if that's indicative of how unusually good the game is looking, or how little I care about this movie.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2007, 18:43 »

I have actually laughed at the movie trailer, this surprises me.  I have stopped watching the Simpsons for some time after being a hardcore fan of them for a good few years, but now it actually seems to be kind of funny now

I wonder, if I see this movie should I start watching the show again?

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2007, 20:45 »

This movie comes out the day before my birthday. Go me...
This movie comes out the day AFTER my birthday. 1up'd!
I'm also exactly one day older than the series as a whole. The pilot came out 27th July 1987.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2007, 06:59 »

I'm not really a big fan of the Simpsons

I'm gonna stop you there...what?!?!?!

I'm excited/worried about the movie. I'm excited about its potential awesomeness but worried about it killing the series.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

camelpimp

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:35 »

I can see the movie easily going either way in the quality scale. But I guess I'll have to see it, being a long-time Simpsons fan as I am.

That's kind of sad; I'll see it not because it looks good, but because of a sense of duty.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:41 »

If this movie were to sell tickets based entirely off of longtime fans' sense of duty, this movie would have the all time highest box office gross, regardless of quality.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

camelpimp

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:51 »

I think hell would freeze over before this movie would bomb at the box office. Regardless of quality.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2007, 08:47 »

Absolutely. If there's one movie guaranteed to make tons of money, it's this one. A lot of people I know have stopped watching the show but still plan on going. Since the show has been on for so long it's had many years to build up an enormous fan base. Not all these people are still fans but I think all of them will still see the movie. I, for one, am still a fan of the show. While I might not enjoy the new episodes quite as much as older ones I think the suckiness of recent seasons has been drastically exaggerated by most.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ChaoticEvil

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:27 »

I heard they got the guys who wrote the original funny seasons back, to do the movie.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:37 »

That's kind of sad; I'll see it not because it looks good, but because of a sense of duty.

That pretty much sums up the last few seasons for me. I've seen almost every episose and I don't want to ruin my fanatical (is that even a word?) status just beacause most of the episode suck.

I have a theory that they purposefully made the last few seasons suck so the movie will look unbelievably amazing in comparison.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2007, 00:14 »

The Simpsons have been with me my whole life. I'm a child of '89, and have therefore been watchin it since before I could speak. HAVE TO SEE MOVIE

NOW

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:06 »

I wonder, if I see this movie should I start watching the show again?

Yes. The last few episodes I saw had me laughing again.
My brother and I both are long time fans, and we felt the recent episodes were lacking their hilarity as well, but we were both in agreement that the last few episodes we saw were actually funny again.

Have they changed writers or something?
Boredom Makes You Cool.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2007, 14:39 »

yeah, i also heard they were getting funnier again. Haven't witnessed it yet though.

What does it mean when a movie will be 'only in theaters'?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

TrekkieTechie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2007, 16:00 »

That it won't be released for home viewing on the advertised release date. S'the opposite of straight-to-video.
No matter where you go, there you are.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2007, 19:32 »

Alright, good, for a second I was worried that it wouldn't come out on dvd at all.

which would be a real shame.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2007, 12:08 »

I don't suppose they play many movie trailers under that rock :P
Boredom Makes You Cool.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2007, 13:32 »

touché.

EDIT: guys, its really good.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2007, 07:45 by StaedlerMars »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2007, 17:33 »

It's good!!!! Met and surpassed my (admittedly a bit low) expectations. Don't let cynicism get in the way: see this movie!

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2007, 10:49 »

I plan to see it on the weekend after my birthday! (Only 20 days away :()
Boredom Makes You Cool.

CookedHaggis

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2007, 11:34 »

Is The Simpson's Movie as clever or as original as the South Park movie?  No.  Is it consistently funny?  Yes, very much so.  Successful joke follows successful joke, some don't follow but rather pile up, a carcrash twisted metal mass of funny.   The best lines are still the throw-away satire:

- Dad, do something!
Homer quickly skims through the Bible
- There's no answers in here!

Perhaps surprisingly, there's very little emphasis on supporting characters, this is, for better or worse, definitely the Simpsons family movie.  Favourite characters have a line, or less, but it might be for the best; focussing on the family means the story actually has some resonance.  I'd say it's the best thing out at the moment, but that's scant praise and it deserves more.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2007, 20:37 »

I saw it today.  I thought it was great.

It's obvious they had the same worries some of us did.  That it would only be a two hour episode, or it wouldn't live up to the standards of early Simpsons.  But the attention to detail and the amount of work put into it was obviously apparent through the whole movie.

One of the few TV show turned movies in history to actually do the TV show justice.  (It's pretty much just this and South Park).

CmonMiracle

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2007, 18:49 »

I thought it was really boring. However, I don't watch the TV show so maybe that is why.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2007, 01:35 »

Yeah Jen, having seen the show might help :P how've you managed to avoid it??

I saw it last night, and I loved it. It was kinda like sitting at home with a thousand friends watching Simpsons on a huge TV, but it also def. felt like a movie. It was funny (had everyone in stitches throughout), it was FUN (the writers musta had a kickass time writing in eg. the piss-takes of regular eps), it was touching (for those of us who know and love the family <3)... the only major problem I had was with the villain. He kinda sucked, but fortunately that didn't ruin things much at all.

I'd recommend any fan to go see it =) however, be warned--Spider-Pi is better in the trailer.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Ben yayayayayayayay

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • You are so handsome. You are my friend.
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2007, 10:27 »

Spider Pi is exactly 3!
If you fight fire with fire, you will just make a bigger fire. Yes.
But if you fight fire with crystals, and ice bulbs, you will put the fire out and the crystals will turn to diamonds!

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2007, 10:39 »

I saw it last night and it was pretty damn awesome. I was worried that it wouldn't be that great but it was. Definately the best comedy I've seen this year.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jul 2007, 13:41 »

I felt that a lot of the best jokes were in the trailers, which left me not laughing as hard as everyone else.  I wouldn't pay to see it again.  Even with all the hard to spot stuff ('justice for most')  it just wasn't that funny.  It's better than a lot of TV show-movies, but that's really not saying much.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #32 on: 01 Aug 2007, 00:08 »

Excellent, I haven't watched most of the trailers so I'm very much looking forward to seeing this.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Kaktion

« Reply #33 on: 01 Aug 2007, 15:37 »

I agree with someone above me, most of the best jokes were the throw-aways. The Fox: "yeah, we even advertise in movies now" moment comes to mind, that was hilarious. However, overall, it just felt like a two hour episode to me. That's not a bad thing though because it was pretty excellent.

The part with Marge and the video recording...I nearly cried. =(

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #34 on: 01 Aug 2007, 17:08 »

I don't know what's worse: how many times Marge has left Homer or the fact I get a little misty every.single.fucking.time!
JON MADE ME GAY

Lotus

« Reply #35 on: 02 Aug 2007, 00:32 »

That was a lot of fun to watch.  I laughed so hard at some jokes that I almost started coughing.  As far as being The Simpsons Movie, I would have liked something more than just one big episode, which is what it felt like.  South Park did it right, where no three episode combo can really replace what the film delivered.  But with The Simpsons Movie, I think I would rather have taken the best three episodes over the film.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #36 on: 02 Aug 2007, 06:16 »

I'm pretty sure I'm the only U.S. citizen who absolutely hated the South Park movie.
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #37 on: 02 Aug 2007, 09:07 »

First of all, STOP giving away spoilers, even small ones, without a spoiler alert. Please. It's just bad etiquette. Some people still haven't seen the movie and it's a terrible habit to get into. Thanks.
To comment on the above, I wasn't as big South Park Movie fan. It had funny moments but I'm not sure I understand the heaps of praise.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #38 on: 04 Aug 2007, 17:33 »

I LOVED IT. A lot of people i've spoken to were really dissappointed- what the fuck were they expecting? It really does go back to the old awesome days of the simpsons.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #39 on: 17 Aug 2007, 04:28 »

I thought it was good. It exceeded my, albeit low, expectations. Some of the skill of the early simpsons series was back, the subtle jabs at popular culture for example which really helped. The improved animation was cool as well though it felt a little bit odd.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #40 on: 17 Aug 2007, 16:12 »

Basically I am so excited I am bound to pee my pants at some point.

Kind a new trailer

It comes out in ten days people!

The trailer looks very promising - as trailers tend to do.

I can't wait to see it! They should've made a movie a looooonnnnngggg time ago.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2007, 13:28 »

I thought it was very good. I'm not a huge fan of The Simpsons (I used to be, but not really anymore), but I thought it was an entertaining, funny movie.

I'd highly recommend it.

iliketodraw

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #42 on: 20 Aug 2007, 15:01 »

I thought it was pretty overrated, and short, really quite short. Overall it wasn't a bad film but i feel a bit of a sucker paying to watch something barely longer than a simpsons special and all the good bits were in the trailers.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #43 on: 20 Aug 2007, 15:16 »

I hate the Simpsons. I have no want to see the Simpson movie. I want everyone to stop coming up to me and asking if I've seen the movie yet, or if I am going to and then acting like I've just told them that I am an alien with two heads when I tell them that I have no want to see this movie.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
« Reply #44 on: 21 Aug 2007, 11:50 »

I'm looking at you like you are an alien with two heads.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Spinless

« Reply #45 on: 22 Aug 2007, 06:04 »

Simpsons tv show: Moments of sheer brilliance. But it has been a very long time since I saw it, maybe it is a pile of shit.
Simpsons movie: Crock of shit full of throwaway gags. Your friends say more amusing clever things when they're drunk.

Southpark tv show: Used to be pretty funny sometimes, now crock of shit with no redeeming features.
Southpark movie: Absolutely hilarious, no flaws that spring to my mind. But it's been several years since I saw it, maybe it IS a pile shit.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #46 on: 22 Aug 2007, 06:17 »

I am completely opposite on you. I loved the Simpsons movie and am probably the only person that thought and thinks the South Park movie was absolute garbage.
JON MADE ME GAY

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #47 on: 22 Aug 2007, 10:17 »

No you're not.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #48 on: 22 Aug 2007, 17:02 »

I hate the Simpsons. I hate South Park. I don't like either tv show, or either movie. I get the jokes, they just aren't funny.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #49 on: 22 Aug 2007, 17:09 »

Obviously, you are a communist.
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up