THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 21:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Hero III  (Read 28921 times)

just-another-andy

Guitar Hero III
« on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:43 »

Hey everyone!

Guitar hero 3 is NOW upon us.

YAY

Finally got my hands on the game!

Brag, discuss, condemn as you will.

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2007, 06:47 by just-another-andy »

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Guitar Hero
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:41 »

My friend Cody once beat me on Pro Face Off mode while using his crotch for the strum bar.  I suck monumentally on anything higher than medium.

just-another-andy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2007, 18:01 »

welll...that's unlucky
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2007, 16:34 by just-another-andy »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2007, 20:09 »

the thing that excites me the most is that The Metal by Tenacious D will be playable

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2007, 20:58 »

Now, not to take anything away from GH3. for it will bring the pain in a way never thought possible.

But I must say, Rock Band (from the makers of GH, GH2. and GH '80s [6 days!] ) is going to fucking slay.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2007, 21:55 »

I've been playing GH 2 for a little while now, completed all Mediums on 5*
and now almost finished Hard (carry me home and Psychobilly Freakout are eluding me!)

This describes my progress with this game perfectly

I am so fucking angry at this game right now.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

just-another-andy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2007, 03:51 »

I've stopped playing simply because of those two songs...they're so bad for the soul.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2007, 18:24 »

meh, those two songs, wihile being hard, are okay.  the song that is really bad for your soul is Institutionalized.  listening to the lyrics while make you wish that you five stared this song long okay just so that you never have to listen to it again

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2007, 22:58 »

Man, Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band both look great. I have no idea how I'm going to decide between the two. Hell, knowing my habits I'll probably just buy both.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2007, 23:44 »

Ahh, spent many a night playing guitar hero 2.  Great party game because: 1)it's kickass fun to play drunk for the full rock experience and 2)It's background noise for everyone else who are hopefully drunk enough to not care that this is 3rd time some stupid ass is playing freebird.

I too remember getting stuck for a while around psychobilly freakout on hard, but eventually powered through it and made it through the rest of the game pretty much okay... until I got to psychobilly freakout and carry me home on expert.  Those really made me cry.  I'm really looking forward to Rock Band muuch more than guitar hero 3, but the only thing is now that I've graduated, I have no one to play it with :(

HeyBickley

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2007, 09:06 »

Rock Band... isn't that the one where you pay 400 bucks and all of your friends get to play an awesome game with you for free?

Beat Guitar Hero 1 on everything but EXTREEEEME.  I'm stuck on Psychobilly Freakout on Extreme on II.  Tried going back to Hard to get 5 stars in everything, and I have discovered a deep capacity for hatred within my heart, specifically directed at Heart.  Grrr...

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2007, 11:29 »

Well the rumors are around $200 for the whole kit, but those are just rumors.  However, I'm almost positive that they'll also be selling it in bundles with only a single peripheral, such as just a guitar or just the drum set, for prices similar to that of past guitar hero games.  Then, if your friends want to play, they can bring their own controller, or whatever other arrangement you wanna work out.  Honestly, if they didn't allow this option they would be extremely dumb, as they have stated that they want to make it as affordable as possible.

I'm more excited for rock band because it looks like it'll have just as much single player content as guitar hero 3 (minus the boss battles, but I really don't care about those), in addition to multiplayer goodness.  In fact, counting the insane support they're gonna be getting for downloadable content, plus the option of buying a different peripheral to play the game through again in a different way, it might even have more.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2007, 13:39 »

Harmonix hasn't said a word about pricing either for the game itself or the downloadable songs, but the current figure everyone's talking about right now is 200 dollars for the game and all four peripherals. On the one hand, that's a lot to pay for one game, but on the other, split 4 ways it isn't that bad. The thing is, Harmonix is talking about really ambitious support for the game after release.  They're talking about new downloadable songs every week, as well as entire downloadable albums. The first update after release will be the entirety of The Who's Who's Next, which is awesome because that album is kickass. Additionally, because Harmonix is owned by MTV now, the vast majority of the songs in Rock Band will be master recordings instead of cover tracks.

just-another-andy

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2007, 15:06 »

My problem is that I play with 3 fingers, no pinky. So I feel it's an achievement to have got that far with quite a few 4 and 5*s on hard!

Any suggestions on how to improve properly?

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2007, 16:15 »

...learn to use your pinky.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

suupaaduupaa

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2007, 12:30 »

Wow, you can play without using your pinky?

That's amazing. I can't even being to dream of not using mine.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2007, 12:34 »

I imagine there's some sort of "that's what she said" joke to be found in there, but I'm above such petty and puerile humor.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2007, 14:05 »

The first update after release will be the entirety of The Who's Who's Next, which is awesome because that album is kickass.

What?!?

The best part about rock band isI have a friend who is obsessed with  Guitar Hero games, and is also a drummer, so I can see him buying the game straight off, and he already has two guitar controllers. Actually I can really see him buying two of the drumkits and splicing them together into a gargantuon Peart kit or something.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

MlKE

« Reply #18 on: 05 Aug 2007, 15:59 »

i'm looking forward to guitar hero 3 mostly because 1 and 2 dont work on the ps3, but once the 3rd controller comes out, it'll be backwards compatible, and it'll basically be like playing 3 brand new games worth of guitar hero for me.

on my friends gh2, i could get through nearly all of the hard levels before I stopped playing and spent all my focus on final fantasy xii.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 05 Aug 2007, 21:43 »

Preeview of Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce GH3.

God damn.

Aww, you beat me to it.  I wonder how many people will end up hurting something because of this song.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

ackblom12

« Reply #20 on: 05 Aug 2007, 22:40 »

Jesus christ. My fingers felt like breaking just watching that son of a bitch.

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #21 on: 06 Aug 2007, 00:48 »

Besides the mass of sixteenth notes the Dragonforce song doesn't look that hard at all, at least not worse then Jordan. 95% of the notes are hammer on so it's not like you even have to strum those. Man I play this game too much.

Regardless I played Rocks The 80's at Best Buy the other day. Pretty decent. I'd drop 50 bucks on it. I'm trying to save cash monies for Rock Band though. Being able to play the Who's Next album and just go all Pete Townshend Windmill on it sounds too awesome to be true.

imapiratearg

« Reply #22 on: 06 Aug 2007, 08:05 »

E3 Hands on with Rock Band

The video isn't stellar, you don't see much of the game itself.  But you get a look at the cool Fender controllers, as well as listen to some dude slur out lyrics.

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2007, 23:24 »

I just have to ask myself how many iterations of Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero-esque games I will buy (I bought GH2 for the house PS2 and again for my 360...yeah, I know).  But, since I simply cannot get enough, it looks like it's time to start saving for the GH3 bundle.  At least this controller will be wireless.

So....who else's band name in Guitar Hero is Deathmřle?  (If only you could do the freaky "o with a line through it" in-game)
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 23:40 by ZedAvatar »

just-another-andy

« Reply #24 on: 14 Sep 2007, 04:16 »

setlist, anyone?

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Guitar Hero III
« Reply #25 on: 14 Sep 2007, 06:17 »

You should be able to find it here.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16 »

Jesus christ. My fingers felt like breaking just watching that son of a bitch.
I agree...I am going to fail so hard at this game... I wasn't even very good at GH, much less GH2. Oh well, at least I'll make my capable siblings laugh...

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2007, 11:15 »

i feel bad for hating guitar-hero so much. but i'm completely incapable of playing it.  i have poor circulation in my hands and no real dexterity to speak of so doing anything complex with my fingers is impossible for me. it's taking me forever to type this, actually.
that's why i'm excited for Rock Band because i actually play drums and it should be pretty fun. i won't actually be buying a copy but i know a couple people who probably will.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2007, 17:54 »

At this point I'm going with Rock Band, since while I suck at GH2 (possibly because of my audio/HD setup, or possibly because I have no hand-eye coordination) I can't deny that it's a very well designed game, and if I had to choose between a new franchise from an established designer or a sequel with no creative connection to its predecessors, I'll go with the new franchise. But you never know, Neversoft might actually outdo Harmonix, however unlikely that may seem. Besides, the idea of full albums being released is definitely a big advantage.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2007, 22:30 »

Holycrapholycrapholycrap.

Is that really The Fall of Troy's FCPREMIX in the setlist? That's, like, THE song I've always wanted to play in Guitar Hero. I'm sold.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2007, 23:24 »

Man, in every Guitar Hero game since the first it's been some randomly shitty songs among the awesome ones. I mean, Slipknot and Disturbed? AFI? The Killers? The only popular band that fits Guitar Hero less than the Killers would be Coldplay.

TomorrowByStorm

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:22 »

GH is teh shit. Currently I can 5 or 4 star all songs in hard..Save for Jordan, Misirlou, and Six.

Tips on playing with three fingers....Don't do it. Just learn to roll your index from Red to Green and use your Pinky for Orange. I've got severe Stupid Pinky and I can do it, so can you.

GH3 is gonna rock in some ways, it's gonna blow in others. I'm not really too excited about these multi-player "Battles" where you can flip the opponents frets from right to left and vice versa. GH is about playing kick ass music, not silly gimmicks....at least for me.

On that note, I'm pretty convinced that Rock Band is going to cause a Musicocalypse. Every Tom, Dick, and Dipshit who get a highscore on easy together are gonna think they are the shit and post endless vids on Youtube, Veoh, and the like. The world will flood with Amature Night style renditions of "Sweet Home Alabama" and the latest Nickleback hits. Mods and Hacks will hit and people who should never write music will begin to create their own. Thousands (if not millions) of Emo/Straight Edge/Goth bands formed by 13-17 year old virgins who are sad cause they have never seen so much as a real live tit will emerge. Hipsters heads will explode from having too many things to ridicule at once. Actuall Goths and Emo kids will be forced to really slit thier wrists...hundreds will die. Actual Straight Edgers will turn to drinking to hide their shame and the Subsequent ammount of drunk 16 year olds in car accidents will be staggering. Only Metal and Rap will survive unscathed and the war between them will eventually lead to the Ban of all music but Elvis and Saxaphone Jazz.

Tell you what though, while all that is going down, I'm gonna be laughing my ass of as I beat the shit out of those drums. Dum-Dum-BahDum!

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:29 »

Muse - Knights of Cydonia

I want it just for this.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #33 on: 30 Sep 2007, 19:52 »

Am I the only one who thinks $200 for all four peripherals plus the game seems too *cheap* for Rock Band?

According to the previews, they look like really *nice* parts.

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #34 on: 30 Sep 2007, 20:06 »

I heard that the game, one guitar, drums, and microphone all together will cost about $160, which I think is a pretty sweet deal. But I'm still getting Guitar Hero III before Rock Band, if I get it at all.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 30 Sep 2007, 20:07 »

Actually, it was recently confirmed as 180 dollars, not 200. However, you only get 1 guitar along with the drum kit and the microphone, so if you want a full 4-person band you'll have to buy another guitar, which will be another 30 dollars or so. But yeah, the peripherals look pretty great. It's worth noting that Rock Band is going to have a ton of downloadable songs down the line, so they might be underselling the peripherals because they're assuming that they'll make up that money from downloadable content.

And personally, I'm not sure if I'm going to get either. I'm a little burned out on Guitar Hero at this point. Maybe I'd play the drums in Rock Band, but I dunno. All these rhythm games are expensive. When I think that I could get 3 regular games for the same price as Rock Band (or slightly less than two for the price of Guitar Hero 3), the whole proposition becomes significantly less attractive.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2007, 20:09 by Storm Rider »

imapiratearg

« Reply #36 on: 30 Sep 2007, 20:10 »

Man, in every Guitar Hero game since the first it's been some randomly shitty songs among the awesome ones. I mean, Slipknot and Disturbed? AFI? The Killers? The only popular band that fits Guitar Hero less than the Killers would be Coldplay.

Yeah.  I was surprised to see Sonic Youth on there.  If my friend gets it, I'm playing it.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #37 on: 30 Sep 2007, 22:04 »

if you want a full 4-person band you'll have to buy another guitar

dude, the guitar hero guitars will work with rock band, that's already been confirmed.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 30 Sep 2007, 22:07 »

Sure, if you have the 360 version, which I never got.

I may not pick up either of these games, but I am curious to see which one of them 'wins'. Rock Band does seem to have a better set of features, more master tracks, and the promise of loads of post-release support (which they will hopefully not charge ridiculous sums for like Activision has done with GHII on the 360), but I'm curious to what extent people will buy Guitar Hero simply because they recognize the name. I wonder how well GH has cultivated brand loyalty at this point even though the first game came out only 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2007, 22:30 by Storm Rider »

Ethney

• Not quite a lurker
  • Glug Glug Glug
« Reply #39 on: 03 Oct 2007, 06:22 »

I play on easy  :-D

Well, only because I don't own GH or GH2

But my friend's boyfriend does! And he's got money so he'll be buying GH3 haha

I'm just a poor college kid, living in my friend's parent's basement.

The song I'm most looking forward to playing is "Suck My Kiss" by RHCP
Oh, and I was just kidding, I play on Medium, but I suck at it yayy
Gold Lion's gonna tell me where the light is

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #40 on: 07 Oct 2007, 20:56 »

Where did you find the setlist, Anyways?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 24 Oct 2007, 01:23 »

The GH3 demo hit XBL today. Go download to get a taste of what Neversoft has done to change the game.

(Here is a hint: they did very little)
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #42 on: 24 Oct 2007, 11:22 »

I want the DLC with these games to actually be awesome for people like us. If I could download a pack that had me playing Boris or My Bloody Valentine it would be so awesome.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 28 Oct 2007, 15:50 »

I just played the Wii version at Walmart.

At least for the Wii, the new Les Paul controller is amazing. It's heavy, responsive, and even vibrates when you are totally rocking the fuck out. I'm curious if the 360 version is the same way.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #44 on: 28 Oct 2007, 20:56 »

Alright somebody please come through for me here.

I was in best buy this weekend and I was gonna pre-order GHIII, but 1. you can only pay five bucks down (which doesn't really reduce the cost by enough to merit a pre-order in my mind) and 2. it was fucking NINETY BUCKS.  However, I do remember it saying this was for the GHIII Bundle.  Can you actually just buy the game itself?  The only time I've seen this as possible was for GH '80s, and that's supposed to be an add-on type dealie for GHII.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #45 on: 28 Oct 2007, 21:40 »

You can usually just buy the game itself for $50-60, yes. I know that option was available for GH2.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ThePQ4

« Reply #46 on: 29 Oct 2007, 08:05 »

You should be able to. If you can't now, just wait until Christmas-time (which starts in hard-core in like two weeks or so). Someone'll have it. Or try to find it online.

Now that GHIII is out, I can get GHII for a fraction of the price --I will suck at it supremely, but fun will be had, I can tell. Whoo!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #47 on: 29 Oct 2007, 23:35 »

my guitar works fine and everything is cool with the game
though the songs in the co-op campaign suck

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC