THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you watch these Watchmen?  (Read 123614 times)

Faker

• Furry furrier
Will you watch these Watchmen?
« on: 26 Jul 2007, 04:58 »

Again another story ripped from the web pages of Empire

It's been the worst kept secret on the interwebs for over a week now, but Warner Bros has finally confirmed the cast for Watchmen, or 'The Citizen Kane of Comic Books', as contractual obligation requires we call it.

For those not in the graphic novel know, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen is set in an America where superheroes have been outlawed. The plot centres on Rorschach, a vigilante superhero who is investigating the murder of fellow super The Comedian. His investigations lead him into government conspiracies, which at the time the book was created echoed Reagan-era distrust and will now, presumably, echo...well, you do the maths.

The cast are not massive names, but are, certainly of those with whose work we're familiar, very fine actors. The cast is as follows:

Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children) will play Rorschach, aka Walter Kovacs.

Patrick Wilson (also Little Children) will play Nite-Owl, a technical wizard who flies an owl shaped flying vehicle.

Billy Crudup (Almost Famous) is Dr Manhattan, a man with godlike powers who in the book is blue and nekkid.

Malin Akerman (upcoming Farelly brothers movie The Heartbreak Kid) is The Silk Spectre aka Laurie Juspeczyk, token female superhero of the band who resents being the token female and was once involved with Dr Manhattan.

Matthew Goode (Matchpoint) will play Ozymandias aka Adrian Veidt, a hero who voluntarily retired and revealed his identity and then made a fortune. He believes Manhattan is going to cause a global catastrophe.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Grey's Anatomy) is The Comedian, murderous gun-toting vigilante-turned-paramilitary.

Zack Snyder, who's set to direct the movie in Vancouver this autumn using similar methods to 300, will be in Comic-Con over the weekend, so check back for more details on Monday.

So what do you think of the cast? Awesome? Too young?

Photos of the cast members - here
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2007, 05:05 by Faker »
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Will you watch these Watchmen?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2007, 06:13 »

I'm indifferent to most aside from Patrick Wilson. Him, I find too young. One of the biggest aspects of Nite-Owl's character is that he's middle-aged, retired and long since out of shape. Him being within about five years of Silk Spectre's age kind of defeats the purpose of his conflicted feeling towards her.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2007, 06:52 »

I think the cast over all seem to be on the young side, but I'm assuming because the book was so flash-back heavy they have to decided to cast actors based on the younger versions of the character and then age them up for later scenes as opposed to trying to age them down for the flash-backs
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2007, 07:14 »

That doesn't really make much sense. Flashback heavy as it was, few of the people appearing in flashbacks ran concurently with the main storyline. The vast majority of the flashbacks dealt with the Golden Age set, who were mostly dead by the point of the modern storyline. Dr. Midnight appeared in a lot of flashbacks, but he hadn't aged since he was created. Silk Spectre was in flashbacks, but as a sixteen year old (Making her actress dead in the middle of either instance). The Comedian was dead by the time the modern line started.

The only flashbacks any of the modern characters appeared in, the characters were mostly in full costume with masks and deaging would be unnecessary.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2007, 08:34 »

Not sure how I feel about Snyder directing. He doesn't have much experience and he hasn't proven he can direct serious material. Grand, stylized action flicks aren't the same as the dystopian drama of Watchmen. I'm not familiar with all the actors but I am glad they didn't cast a bunch of big names who can't really act. Too often this happens and the film generally suffers as a result. This cast seems pretty decent to me and has me more excited for the film than I was, albeit still cautiously optimistic.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2007, 08:47 »

You people are missing the worst part of this news.

Veidt is "a costumed adventurer who retired voluntarily, disclosed his identity and built a large fortune. He hatches a plot to avert a global catastrophe he believes will be caused by Dr. Manhattan."

What?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

HPPH

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2007, 11:49 »

Can't be done right if they can't even get the story straight. Geez. Like all adaptations, a miniseries would be best.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2007, 12:12 »

That might just be a mistake. The person who wrote that may have had little actual knowledge of the novel.
Hate, rain on me

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2007, 14:47 »

I found a link the shows a picture of the actor and the character

http://rorschachsjournal.com/
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2007, 15:36 »

Again another story ripped from the web pages of Empire

?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2007, 20:03 »

I think I will watch this even though there is much dispute about the choices for the characters

I mean I did voluntarily see Ghost Rider and saw Daredevil

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2007, 20:10 »

they could've done a lot worse.

jackie earle haley is perfect for rorschach
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2007, 22:20 »

It's pretty much guaranteed that it will not end with NYC obliterated, Manhattan leaving for Mars a distant galaxy, and Rorschach reduced to his component molecules. 

I'm guessing that Veidt will be a plain good guy, and Manhattan will be a bad guy who tries to destroy a good bit of the world with Veidt's intention in the book -- to shock both sides of the cold war into submission.  I guess the question is whether given these changes it can still be an enjoyable movie.

I like Snyder's direction so I'm staying cautiously optimistic.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2007, 11:44 by pilsner »

Theplanman

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2007, 23:22 »

I don't like the cast, but that's basing it solely on the fact they look too happy and young for their respective characters.

I like Snyder's direction so I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

Me too, but it's turning more into pessimism, as I can't imagine getting excited, and then having the movie suck. I really, really, really hope it'll be amazing, or at least good, but I am not getting my hopes up. The upside of being a pessimist is that you are either always right, or pleasantly surprised.

But if they Hollywood up the ending (ie- make it not so morally confusing as the comic, nobody dies, everything works out), there will be riots in the streets. Or at least in the internets.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2007, 23:50 »

It's pretty much guaranteed that it will not end with NYC obliterated, Manhattan leaving for Mars, and Rorschach reduced to his component molecules.

Might I ask why?

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2007, 00:36 »

I've been curious about this project for some time, but also very very scared.  I am someone optimistic though, seeing as they didn't make a TOTAL mess of V for Vendetta and Zach Snyder is a hell of a lot better than the goddamn Watchowskis.  Still... so many ways to mess this one up.

Also, looks like the beginnings of some sort of viral campaign here that popped up a while ago on the interwebs.

http://www.theveidtmethod.com/

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2007, 00:48 »

You people are missing the worst part of this news.

Veidt is "a costumed adventurer who retired voluntarily, disclosed his identity and built a large fortune. He hatches a plot to avert a global catastrophe he believes will be caused by Dr. Manhattan."

What?

Yeah I assumed that was a mistake on the part of the article's original author, obviously thinking of the plot to discredit Dr. Manhattan and whatever... hope so anyway

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2007, 06:22 »

The choice of actors gives me a little more faith in the movie.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2007, 09:14 »

I haven't heard of any of those actors nor am I familiar with the comic. That said, I will watch this movie, possibly several times because I love the cinema.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2007, 11:41 »

Might I ask why?

Snyder + Warner Brothers = Huge Budget = Need to Recoup Budget By Producing Blockbuster

Ending Where Villain Gets Off + Protagonist Gets Annihilated + Godlike Blue Creature Just Up And Leaves + Millions Die + Ambiguity Reigns Re Effects on Cold War = Pissed Off Crowds = No Blockbuster

Ending Where Villain Gets Caught Despite Godlike Powers + Protagonists Triumph + Maybe One of the Ugly Ones Dies (ahem Rorschach) But For a Good Cause + New York Gets Saved = Happy Crowds = Potential Blockbuster

The problem with this project is that the core audience for the book is fundamentally at odds with the vast majority of moviegoers who have not and probably will not read the book in terms of what they want from this movie.  The need to make back a massive budget requires the moviemakers to produce something resembling a conventional Hollywood ending. 

Plus, unlike with Frank Miller, there is no need to stay true to the strip since Alan Moore is not supporting the movie, or so I hear.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I will be.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2007, 21:24 »

Snyder + Warner Brothers = Huge Budget

Actually Warner wanted to cap the budget at $100 mil. Still big but not huge by any stretch of the imagination.

Ravenbomb

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2007, 00:19 »

Wilson is a good choice for Nite Owl, and if Crudup gets the stardom he should've gotten off of Almost Famous, then I'm all for it. But I still say Knepper would've made a good Rorschach.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2007, 15:34 »

The idea that anyone thinks this movie is a good idea makes me want to vomit. It is inherently not a good idea. There is no conceivable way to do justice to the book in a movie. Especially not with a director whose only talent is making stylish action movies that don't suck. For all the great style and special effects of Dawn of the Dead and 300, they both had as much depth as a saucer.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

CookedHaggis

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2007, 17:11 »

Not sure how I feel about Snyder directing. He doesn't have much experience and he hasn't proven he can direct serious material. Grand, stylized action flicks aren't the same as the dystopian drama of Watchmen. I'm not familiar with all the actors but I am glad they didn't cast a bunch of big names who can't really act. Too often this happens and the film generally suffers as a result. This cast seems pretty decent to me and has me more excited for the film than I was, albeit still cautiously optimistic.

Snyder.... it's like setting Guy Ritchie loose on an adaptation of Crime & Punishment.  I like Lock Stock, I like Snatch, but making two comical, stylised caper films does not qualify you for psychological depth.  Ditto Snyder. That's something of a forced analogy though. 

Snyder does more than make stylised action flicks.  Much more.  He managed to depoliticise Dawn of the Dead, managed to suppress the entire point of the film.  That takes skill and not a small amount of arrogance.  To have a motely collection of characters from various social backgrounds, to have institutional authority figures in a world without institutions, to have mass collective unquestioning thought, to have a context where conventional morality becomes questionionable, to have all the elements of satire and NOT have any identifiable political commentary....that's an achievement.  To have a downbeat, violent, depressive ending that makes no kind of statement at all...that's simply incredible.

Of course, the thinking behind the choice of Snyder as director is obvious.  He has made two commercially successful films, both stylised, both fantastical.  Here's a comic book needing to be added.  A stylish comic book.  Stylish, stylised.  What's the difference?  You've got to wonder if anyone actually read the thing.  Which would be worse; that they didn't and employed him based on statistics, or that they did and simply didn't understand it?

The thing is, I quite enjoyed Dawn of the Dead, I quite enjoyed 300.  They were entertaining.  But nothing else.  Most obviously so in the case of 300; pure visceral action with a bare minimum of framing, a simple excuse for simple destruction.  In itself not insidious since cinema can't all be involved and involving.  Though you can't help but wonder if other people saw a different film.  But to give that director the helm of something like Watchmen?  Now, I don't agree with Alan Moore's idea that his work is somehow unadaptable - get over yourself man, what's good enough for Austen or Shakespeare or Dickens or Burgess etc... - but in the hands of Snyder... I just don't see it working.  Maybe I'm just too pessimistic, but from what I've seen, while Snyder might have the talent to bring the pages of Watchmen to life, he just doesn't have the nous to bring the point of Watchmen to life.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2007, 17:32 »

Now, I don't agree with Alan Moore's idea that his work is somehow unadaptable - get over yourself man, what's good enough for Austen or Shakespeare or Dickens or Burgess etc...

Well, Austen, Shakespeare, and Dickens were all dead before the advent of moving pictures so they couldn't really complain.

And Shakespeare was a playwright anyway.

And Burgess had the good fortune of having Kubrick make the only major film adaptation of any of his books.

Alan Moore has had three major books of his turned into movies and they were all disappointments to him. David Hayter actually came up with a script that Moore didn't hate, but that has obviously died. That was also before League and V were destroyed.

Honestly, can't they just leave Moore's work alone? WB needs to be stopped.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

CookedHaggis

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2007, 18:14 »

It's more Moore's arrogance that somehow his work is above adaptation.  Sure, a direct translation book-to-film is impossible (just like a direct stage-to-screen translation of Hamlet is impossible...changing the medium, even slightly, changes the work), but truly excellent interpretations of great works in other media are possible; it just takes a lot of work and talent.  The idea that if anything is changed in the adaptation process then the result is an abomination seems artistically reductive.  Yes, Austen, Shakespeare and Dickens were dead, but the point is that excellent films have been made from their work, films that deserve to be called art in their own right.  Yes, it's very hard to make great art from great art because many of the things which make it great are often intrinsically entangled with the nature of the medium (Shakespeare's sense of the theatre for example, or, to take something far less film-friendly than Watchmen, Joyce and his linguistic gymnastics), but that shouldn't put a blanket ban on trying.  It's just that people should be careful how they try.

Still, you have got a point.  The League film was so tremendously abysmal that it put me off reading the original for ages, and the Vendetta film was blandly entertaining.  However, I do disagree with much of Moore's criticisms of the V film: the problem wasn't that they changed the central conflict from anarchy v fascism to liberalism v neo-conservativism (which gives the film far too much credit), the problem was that they simplified everything to such an extent that the conflict became meaningless.  It was more 1984 (it even had John Hurt!  As Big Brother!) rewritten by a slightly slow and extremely optimistic twelve year old (whose edition was missing the last few pages) than anything else.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2007, 07:10 »

I'm not sure that Moore believes his work above or beyond adaptation.  When Sin City was made, I heard that Frank Miller exercised a dictatorial level of creative control over all aspects of the film.  Moore, on the other hand, was merely offered the opportunity to collaborate on a script.  Collaborating on a script for studio movie is offering your ideas up as chum in a shark tank -- they're going to look a good deal different when the process is over and Moore is aware of that.  It appears that Moore lacks either the rights or the inclination to exercise the level of creative control that Miller did, and consequently declines to participate in the process.  Given the quality of V, From Hell, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, I can't say I blame him.

Personally, I was so satisfied by the best of Moore's work that a movie felt unnecessary anyway.  I mean it's a graphic novel for crying out loud.  At best, the movie will reproduce the emotional and intellectual impact of the book by either means.  To take the Sin City movie, for instance, as much as I loved it, I didn't feel it added significantly to the ground that the books had already covered.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2007, 10:52 »

Nope, sorry. Love the dude's work but he thinks he's really above adaptation:

Quote from: BBC Interview, shortly after the release of 'V For Vendetta'
Originally I was content to just simply accept the money, that was offered when people had adapted my comic books into films. Eventually I decided to refuse to accept any of the money for the films, and to ask if my name could be taken off of them, so that I no longer had to endure the embarrasment of seeing my work travested in this manner. The first film that they made of my work was "From Hell" Which was an adaptation of my "Jack the Ripper" narrative... In which they replaced my gruff Dorset police constable with Johhny Depp's Absinthe-swigging dandy. The next film to be made from one of my books was the regrettable "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"... Where the only resemblence it had to my book was a similar title. The most recent film that they have made of mine is apparently this new "V for Vendetta" movie which was probably the final straw between me and Hollywood. They were written to be impossible to reproduce in terms of cinema, and so why not leave them simply as a comic in the way that they were intended to be. And if you are going to make them into films, please try to make them into better ones, than the ones I have been cursed with thus far.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2007, 10:59 »

They're so... young. I know there's lots of flashbacks in the comic and I know that what we're seeing in those pictures isn't what we'll see in the movie, but still...

I had a cold chill up my spine when I read the Veidt character description.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2007, 19:09 »

The fact that they didn't try to pack the cast with superstar actors helps me maintain a little bit of hope that the movie will not be utter shit.
Hate, rain on me

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
« Reply #30 on: 01 Aug 2007, 05:55 »

I agree with cartilage head, and I'm trying to keep my hopes up. I don't know how faithful it will be to the original comic. Being completely honest, it'd be difficult to convey Watchmen properly in any other medium except, perhaps, as a high budget mini-series, animated or live-action. There are a myriad layers to the plot, subtleties, implications as well as the explicit text of the story, which would be very difficult to fit in a feature film.

If they manage to stay true to the spirit of it, unlike the bowdlerisation of V for Vendetta, I will be happy.
we are the universe made manifest

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 04 Aug 2007, 13:11 »

here is another IGN article about the actors and characters of Watchmen  http://movies.ign.com/articles/810/810207p1.html
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

Kaktion

« Reply #32 on: 05 Aug 2007, 10:47 »

I'm trying to not be disappointed, but some of these actors don't really look like the characters, echoing an earlier statement, "they're too young and happy".  Jude Law, I think, would have been a perfect choice for Veidt, but alas, t'was not so. Malin Akerman looks nothing like the Silk Spectre II, but, as I said, I'm trying to look past that. I really am. Which is why I'm giving Rorschach's actor a chance because he looks like he might be able to pull off Rorschach, while masked, but I'm not familiar with his work. He just looks like he might be able to pull it off.

The Comedian's actor, while young, look really similar to him. Weird.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #33 on: 05 Aug 2007, 15:28 »

I found this today:

Was offered the lead role of Rorschach in the doomed movie adaptation of the comic book mini-series, The Watchmen. He turned it down because it would become too "Simon Pegg IS Rorschach."

but that sounds like it's not from this incarnation of the film.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 08 Aug 2007, 12:41 »

More News....

The cast of Zach Snyder's Watchmen is continuing to swell, with the latest addition of Carla Gugino. Gugino will play Sally Jupiter, first Silk Spectre and mother to superhero of the same name, played by Malin Akerman. If you haven't read the book, you're probably confused right about now, but sit down, maybe have a cup of tea, while we try to clear things up. If you're already clued up, maybe take yourself outside for a while and enjoy the sun.

The titular Watchmen were preceded by a group called The Minutemen, one of whom was Jupiter, a burlesque dancer, who took the hero name Silk Spectre. When she reaches an age where tights are better suited to holding in your varicose veins than keeping you unrestrained for crime-fighting, she retires and her moniker is later taken by her daughter. Gugino will play the role through various time periods, ageing as necessary.

The cast for the movie, which is due for release in March 2009, already includes Billy Crudup (Dr. Manhattan), Matthew Goode (Ozymandias), Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach), Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Comedian), Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl).

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2007, 00:58 »

Some set images...

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

My faith is growing

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:20 »

Because someone knows how to construct a set based on pictures they already have drawn out for them?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:45 »

If Snyder proved anything with 300 it's that he knows not to mess with visuals that work.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:59 »

On the other hand, the look of Watchmen was a lot more than just having Nixon posters and a world that's just slightly different than the actual 80s.

The style of Watchmen was very much similar to the old Golden Age four-color comic books. It was very specifically that, because that's what it was about. Gibbons' art was just as important to the entire theme of the book as Moore's writing and even having shots that are exactly the same as any given panel loses some of that. Watchmen isn't just a comic book where the art is a vehicle for the story, the art is part of it too.

But, yes. Zach Snyder does know how to make good visuals. Dawn of the Dead was the best zombie movie ever made in terms of visual effects and pure visceral carnage. Too bad all of the subtext of Romero's version got lost in the pretty gore.

That couldn't possibly happen here, though, right?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2007, 13:43 »

Nah...

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2007, 16:16 »

Some of the actors look like pretty good matches, and it's definitely good that they're unknowns.  That bit about Veidt is troubling.  If they turn him into a clear-cut good guy I'ma smack a bitch.

This is the sort of movie that I'm going to see regardless of quality or anything that I might learn about up to its release. If they piss on it, I'll have to know exactly where and how.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #41 on: 29 Nov 2007, 15:38 »

I was very impressed with the set photos.
Hate, rain on me

Clobbersaurus

• Emoticontraindication
  • homosex
« Reply #42 on: 15 Dec 2007, 21:29 »

the production team looks and acts like they actually give a shit.

that's all that matters. have at it.
male elephant seals are really ugly.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 15 Dec 2007, 23:09 »

Believe it or not, that's not all that matters.

An A for effort can still result in an F for finished product.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #44 on: 15 Dec 2007, 23:30 »

Too true.

I have no doubts that Snyder can pull off the visuals, it's what he's good at, but I'm skeptical re: his ability to translate the narrative in a satisfying way. Satisfying enough for everybody else, at least, I won't be seeing it. After I read Watchmen I felt more exhausted than anything, not that it was bad or anything, it's just not the sort of thing I want out of my movies.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #45 on: 16 Dec 2007, 17:11 »

The thing that I did like about 300 was that it was, panel for panel, the comic book. If this movie were to at least marginally represent that, especially with the dialogue, I will pleased.
Although I will be seeing this regardless anyway.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 16 Dec 2007, 17:39 »

300 was fluff as a comic book and as a movie.

It's Frank Miller.

It's easy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #47 on: 16 Dec 2007, 18:45 »

You're right there Ozy, but I hope this means something when it comes to sticking with the source material.
Either way, I don't feel like I need to be reassured because the movie that is made will have no way of being affected by me. I can only watch as one of my favorite stories is either beshrined or demolished.
What I'm saying is that instead of worrying over whether or not this movie is going to let us down horribly, we should discuss the way the movie is being made to adapt the source material.
I'm going to see this whether or not it's 'supposed to suck'.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #48 on: 20 Dec 2007, 09:04 »

Dave Gibbons visited the set.

Quote from: http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/2007/12/dave_gibbons_visits_the_set_pa_1.html
It's perhaps the most surreal experience of my life.

There they are, in a shadowy clubhouse, standing around a map of the USA, just as we'd imagined them. The smoke of the Comedian's cigar hangs in the air as I drink in the details of the scene. Framed old copies of The New York Gazette tell stories of past exploits; trophies glint in glass-fronted display cases; Moloch's solar weapon shines in a dusty corner and over there, on its mannequin stand, the faded costume of the original Nite Owl keeps silent vigil.

Then, a sudden flash of unearthly blue light announces the arrival of Dr. Manhattan and the tableau comes to life. The voices of quarreling heroes rise and fall, a Zippo flares and the map catches fire.

Somewhere, someone shouts "Cut!"

And I'm standing amongst them. Nite Owl shakes my hand. The Comedian slaps me on the back. Silk Spectre smiles a dazzling greeting. I'm overwhelmed by the depth and detail of what I'm seeing.

But more than that. I'm overwhelmed by the commitment, the passion, the palpable desire to do this right.

I'm starting to feel a glow that eclipses even Dr. Manhattan's...

-Dave Gibbons
December 2007

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: 24 Dec 2007, 06:53 »

I just bought the novel! I'm having a great time with it and I cant wait for the movie.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up