THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you watch these Watchmen?  (Read 123609 times)

Felix_

Re: Will you watch these Watchmen?
« Reply #50 on: 25 Dec 2007, 19:59 »

This film will be an abomination. Wait, you'll see.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #51 on: 26 Dec 2007, 15:27 »

Just finished the graphic novel. Hopefully this won't be a disaster like all the other movie adaptations of graphic novels/comics.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: 26 Dec 2007, 17:44 »

Wait...the guy from fucking grey's anatomy is playing the comedian?

Now I'm worried.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #53 on: 26 Dec 2007, 18:51 »

He was/is also the father of Sam and Dean Winchester in Supernatural. I can draw no minor physical resemblance between him and the person who's going to play Laurie. Alas, this is not a perfect world.

Shadows Collide

« Reply #54 on: 30 Dec 2007, 20:53 »

Is McDREAMY IN THIS??

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #55 on: 31 Dec 2007, 04:27 »

@ Comedian comments:

also, Judah Botwin from Weeds. I'm forcing myself to withhold any preconceived opinions, doubts or not. I just really need to witness the finished product before I can say either which way.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: 31 Dec 2007, 05:54 »

(click to show/hide)
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #57 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:54 »

Doctors Fucking Grey's Anatomy is one of the worst things to happen to American culture ever.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #58 on: 31 Dec 2007, 11:27 »

I don't think 0bsessions question has been answered yet, and I want it answered as well. Who the fuck is McSteamy?
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #59 on: 01 Jan 2008, 09:01 »

I love the "judged solely on looks" part.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jan 2008, 17:18 »

Well, if you bring up THOSE pictures..

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: 08 Jan 2008, 05:38 »

I respectfully remove my candidate for The Comedian.

I think Catherine Zeta jones should be the silhouette though. She looks more like her.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:31 »

Rorschach in action...

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Skyrocket

« Reply #63 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:44 »

While I'm still a bit bummed that Ron Pearlman won't be the Comedian I'm still really excited about this movie. Most everything I've seen has been positive in my book.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 28 Feb 2008, 15:04 »

My hopes for the Watchmen movie have just taken a jump up a notch or two.

Anyone who has read the graphic novel will know there is a comic within the comic called Tales Of The Black Freighter, which I, and I think most other people, assumed would be impossible to include in the film adaptation.

Whilst it's not appearing in the film itself apparently Zack Snyder is directing an animated short of Tales Of The Black Freighter to accompany the film, probably for the DVD release.

And Gerard Butler is voicing the ships captain!

I'm really given hope by the level of respect they are showing  to the source material on decisions like this.

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #65 on: 28 Feb 2008, 15:41 »

This was my SOURCE

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 29 Feb 2008, 11:02 »

The "style of a Japanese anime"? What the hell does that mean?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 29 Feb 2008, 12:01 »

I'm hoping that Snyder has a specific style in mind, something more akin to Akira, and that when he told Butler, dude was like "wut's that lol" and Snyder told him and Butler just took away "oh its an japanimation lol" rather than Snyder just saying "lets do this animey like because thats hot with the kiddies lol".

At any rate, it doesn't really fit the Black Freighter ANYWAY. They should be doing it like the old Superman cartoons if they want to do it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #68 on: 29 Feb 2008, 13:22 »

I dunno, seeing it done in Fist Of The North Star style would be pretty fuckin' rad.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: 29 Feb 2008, 16:02 »

What the fuck were they smoking when they decided to make it an anime?

donovangelonardo

« Reply #70 on: 01 Mar 2008, 00:01 »

I'm nervous about any logic that compares adapting Watchmen to adapting 300.  300 already was laid out in a VERY cinematic style (someone has said it before, the book itself is already in widescreen) while Watchmen is very very limited in its storytelling style.  The narrative is stellar, but let's face it, almost every damn page is a 3x3 rectangular layout of panels.  Not very groundbreaking you know?  So here's the way I see it:  Snyder just had to recreate the look of 300 because the narrative was not really a big deal, and due to the cinematic layout of the book a lot of the work was already done for him.  In Watchmen, the look is more subtle and the action is not really the main focus, so in order to translate it to film he's going to need to bring a lot of energy and movement to some kind of stodgy action scenes (I know somebody's bound to argue with me on this one, but really, just compare the 9 step action scenes present in WM to the splash pages in 300 that scream MAKE ME INTO A MOVIE RARRR). 

Watchmen's strength and staying power is in its narrative, which in my mind should be easy to capture.  I mean, I know everyone else would rather see a miniseries, but I really think there's a central essential story in Watchmen that could be pared down and lifted into the movie, it's not really an ephemeral storyline guys.

Anyway, my point is that Snyder has more work cut out for him because he's going to have to balance the impulse to pump this full of crazy action (which it needs, in moderation) and following the grand story line(s) Moore has given him.  Also, I am going to see it just for the squid monster.  If they leave that out, I'm burning down Snyder's house.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #71 on: 01 Mar 2008, 09:18 »

Watchmen's strength and staying power is in its narrative, which in my mind should be easy to capture.  I mean, I know everyone else would rather see a miniseries, but I really think there's a central essential story in Watchmen that could be pared down and lifted into the movie, it's not really an ephemeral storyline guys.

I think you may be corrected but we'll have to see how they elect to do it.  Many times it seems as though too much is cut out and, unless you are familiar with the source material, the movie seems choppy and some important things may not make much sense (see the last few Harry Potter films for examples of this.)

I did not know The Watchmen had been greenlit as a film until I started reading this thread and aIm a little nervous about it.  I will see it, certainly but perhaps not more than once.

Aceandcups

« Reply #72 on: 04 Mar 2008, 19:25 »

I tried explaining this to a friend and it came off as superheroes with problems. But it's so much more than that.

Zack Snyder must shoot for a R or else the book-to-movie translation will feel stale.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #73 on: 04 Mar 2008, 19:49 »

*post now n/a*

Now let us all continue discussing what will hopefully be an excellent adaptation of this book!

« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 20:38 by Faker »

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #74 on: 05 Mar 2008, 03:19 »

I tried explaining this to a friend and it came off as superheroes with problems. But it's so much more than that.

Zack Snyder must shoot for a R or else the book-to-movie translation will feel stale.

i really never quite got why the americans set there bar for an r rated movie so low...still i think if they want to give roarsache any jsutice it will be MA by australian ratings (i shudder to think of the hot fat in prison)
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #75 on: 05 Mar 2008, 16:58 »

In other words, sucktastic.

I raise you one:

and also one:
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Aceandcups

« Reply #76 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:53 »

Image from signature has been removed.

The Batman Anime caught me off guard, but I remember seeing a making of video and it explained how the samurai fights with honor and the villain fights with distrust/cheap tactics. And now Deadshot is going to be the villain in the film, so that all kind of works out.

Back on the Watchmen: flashbacks gotta be handled carefully. The idea of a layered film is something that is really present in Snyder's previous films. But then again, I'm sure that comicbook fans are one of the hardest crowds to please. *insert jokes about nerds noticing everything wrong in a scene*

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:05 »

Really? Because comic book fans seem pretty darn pleased with X1 & 2, Batman, and the upcoming Iron Man, even with all the liberties the writers/directors took.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Aceandcups

« Reply #78 on: 05 Mar 2008, 21:34 »

You misinterpreted what I was saying, but that's possible in a text environment. I'm also including myself in the nerd category or else I wouldn't be posting in a thread about a comic book adaptation. GRAPHIC NOVEL NYAHHH! *takes hit from inhaler*

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #79 on: 06 Mar 2008, 00:45 »

Since this seems to be the offical Watchmen thread I saw no reason to post a new thread for this:

Actors in costume:

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/2008/03/one_year_to_go_1.html

I jizzed all over the place for an hour straight after seeing them.

My thoughts.

The Comedian and Rorschach look the best out of the buch IMO. Which, y'know, isn't saying a whole lot since Rorschach's get-up is pretty basic. But still.

I don't mind Nite-Owl's costume. Sure it's been modernized, less cloth and more stylized latex. The thing I always loved is that he always had a paunch, it would be great to see a dude in that outfit with a bit of a belly going on. I'm pretty damned excited they kept Archie in the mix.

I've decided I hate the Ozymandias costume. Reason? Nipples. I can understand it since it's been based on the Roman chestplate armor, but...nipples. The dude pulls off the character quite nicely. Better than expected actually.

Ok, now, that's just one unflattering picture of the Silk Spectre. It looks as if she's about to pop a squat in the middle of a burning building. I like what they've done with her costume, not much has been changed other than the bits that were hangy are now part of a full suit. I like it.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2008, 00:49 by CamusCanDo »

Aceandcups

« Reply #80 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:38 »

The Comedian definitely has a sadistic look in his eye. The Owl's outfit looks like it follows the description that was put out in the book, when the original Owl was talking about strength versus mobility and being bullet proof.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #81 on: 06 Mar 2008, 17:26 »

Wait, what? Why does Adrian Veidt look like a cubicle worm?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #82 on: 06 Mar 2008, 19:29 »

Oh, holy shit. Holy shit, guys.

Holy shit.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #83 on: 06 Mar 2008, 20:26 »

?

I thought we had already established that Snyder would get the visuals down.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #84 on: 07 Mar 2008, 15:22 »

Nite Owl is not perfect for the sole reason that a major part of the character is that he's a paunchy middle-aged man who shouldn't really be in the fight anymore.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #85 on: 07 Mar 2008, 15:35 »

But he DOES look paunchy.  Did you enlarge the picture?  He's got some sort of stomach bulge going on.  And it looks like his cheeks had to be squeezed into the helmet.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 07 Mar 2008, 15:45 »

I don't see it, no. I think there's too much plastic chainmail in the way.

Also why the goddamn balls does Veidt have nipples on his suit?

At this point, my last hope for this movie is they go crazy meta and make a comic book movie based on a comic book that deconstructed and analyzed comic books to do the same to comic book movies. That is my last hope.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #87 on: 07 Mar 2008, 17:28 »

But you can't really tell that from the costume even in the comic.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #88 on: 07 Mar 2008, 20:54 »

I reckon the costumes look fantastic...
Besides, we all know exactly how the movie is going to finish so all this fanboy debate is irrelevant.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

warofthebees

« Reply #89 on: 08 Mar 2008, 04:18 »

Nit Owl looks out of shape...for a super hero.  For a regular guy, he looks like he's in decent shape...otherwise, he looks like the character.

Comedian looks great.  I wish Burt Reynolds was playing him, though.  It just fits, to me.

Silk Spectre looks good...I guess they went with a Psylocke-style thing instead of the original miniskirt.

Ozymandias.  Boo.  Besides the fact that he looks like someone came in his office and surprised him while he was trying on the suit, it just doesn't look right. 

Rorschach looks awesome. 

I'm really looking forward to this movie.  I don't think it will be 100% faithful, but who cares?  I like Zack Snyder's directing based on the 2 movies he's...well, I like Zack Snyder's directing.  Fanboys will rip this apart like a dog on a ham, but they probably would even is Alan Moore himself wrote and directed the damn thing.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #90 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:57 »

I dunno though. I wish they kept the original costumes.

I think the whole point with some of them were SUPPOSED to be geeky and 60's batman. I think modernizing it took away from the whole ideal of glory days and stuff.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #91 on: 08 Mar 2008, 10:18 »

Looking at Night Owl's costume, its appropriate that he's a little out of shape - I mean did you read the comic?  He's got a paunch there.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #92 on: 08 Mar 2008, 13:57 »

I think the whole point with some of them were SUPPOSED to be geeky and 60's batman. I think modernizing it took away from the whole ideal of glory days and stuff.

I withhold the possibility of different costumes in flashbacks >_>

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #93 on: 08 Mar 2008, 17:24 »

I think the whole point with some of them were SUPPOSED to be geeky and 60's batman.

Movie studios like to actually make money on movies.  If they have to sacrafice some of the original style to tell the story, that's fine by me.

As it stands, from what I can tell, most Watchmen fans are already poised to hate the fuck out of the film, and the producers likely know this, so they kinda have to also appeal to normal film-goers.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #94 on: 08 Mar 2008, 19:09 »

They really don't have to appeal to people unfamiliar with Watchmen.  The fans are indeed poised to hate the film, but they'll go see it at least once just because it's a Watchmen movie.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #95 on: 08 Mar 2008, 19:23 »

Yes, but considering how big-budget this film is, and considering how relatively few Watchmen fans there really are, if every Watchmen fan goes and sees this once, it won't make much money at all.

Seriously, they have to make it something that is of interest to more than just existing fans.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #96 on: 09 Mar 2008, 01:00 »

considering how relatively few Watchmen fans there really are

...what?
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #97 on: 09 Mar 2008, 01:13 »

I think Zerodrone is saying relative to more accessible, well known comic book properties. I mean everyone knows who Spiderman and the X-Men are, I am not convinced you could sell this movie and make a decent profit on the basis of the hardcore fans either.

I mean, the parallel isn't perfect but look at Serenity. Firefly had a massive cult following but yet barely broke even, despite the fact that Browncoats saw the movie ridiculous numbers of times.

Movies are made and broken by the general public, not by the geeks.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #98 on: 09 Mar 2008, 01:53 »

Right. Which makes me ask: why make this movie at all?

The Watchmen fans don't want it. The general public has no clue about it and doesn't care. Where's the profit?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #99 on: 09 Mar 2008, 05:23 »

I mean, the parallel isn't perfect but look at Serenity. Firefly had a massive cult following but yet barely broke even, despite the fact that Browncoats saw the movie ridiculous numbers of times.

Exactly, AND despite the fact that pretty much any way you slice it, even if you had never heard of Firefly before, Serenity was an awesome flick.

And yet hardly anybody went to see it.

I guess I'm in the minority of being a Watchmen fan and also excited about the film.  If it's even marginally decent, I'll be happy, because well, where's the harm in its existence even if it sucks on toast?  I've never understood the fanrage "they ruined it!" mentality.  I look at it like, hey, at least they tried.  Better a shitty Watchmen movie than another shitty Fantastic Four movie or whatever.

All that said, I'm still waiting on a damn Sandman adaptation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up