THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft Announces Official Xbox 360 Price Drop  (Read 9459 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

Source

As of today, Microsoft has dropped the US retail price of all three Xbox 360 units.

The Elite drops $30 to $450, the Premium drops $50 to $350 and the Core drops $20 to $280. Meanwhile, they will be releasing a limited fourth "Halo 3 Edition" in September. This version will be like the old Halo Xbox in color scheme with an HDMI port ala the Elite and a 20GB hard drive like the Premium and will run $400.

I've been wanting to get one for months now and this is finally the excuse I needed. Looks like I'll be picking up the $350 dollar version soonish.

Also, does anyone else think this bodes problematic for Sony? Sony were the first of the current generation to drop their price, but immediately recanted by announcing they'd be dropping the newly cheaper unit in preferance of an identically priced unit with extra hard drive space. With Microsoft's announcement of a price drop, Sony will be spending yet another holiday season with a product that costs more than both their competitors' products combined ($599.99 for the PS3 with no cheaper option come holiday season Vs. $599.98 for a Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360 Premium Unit combined).
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

Re: Microsoft Announces Official Xbox 360 Price Drop
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2007, 10:01 »

Yup, this is all I needed to justify getting one. In two weeks I shall be joining everyone on X-Box Live, yay!

I'm kinda thinking I'll be nabbing Dead Rising and Viva Pinata with it. Settlers of Catan will be a definite early purchase as well. I expect to beat some Settler ass online with at least a couple of you folks once i get mine damn it!
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2007, 10:20 by ackblom12 »

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #2 on: 08 Aug 2007, 12:45 »

I remember when Xbox Live was full of cool people.  Those were the days...

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3 on: 08 Aug 2007, 12:47 »

I'm not buying until post-Christmas, which will guarantee my Xbox has the new 65nm architecture. :D

MlKE

« Reply #4 on: 08 Aug 2007, 13:16 »

I bought my ps3 when they announced the 100 dollar price drop for the currrent system.

I dont regret it at all. It's unfortunate though, that sony gets so much shit for their price, when it's still cheaper than buying an xbox360 and a hd-dvd player. and it comes packaged with a blu-ray player.

The only thing I have a gripe about, is gta iv just got delayed (for both systems)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 08 Aug 2007, 13:22 »

Yeah, but the reason Sony catches shit for the price is because nobody WANTS a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. You can upscan ordinary DVDs to high definition, so what the fuck is the point?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

MlKE

« Reply #6 on: 08 Aug 2007, 13:28 »

you're probably right, right now there isn't much of a point, but in a couple years dvd will start losing in sales to hd format.

and i did buy 300 on blu-ray. and it owns.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 08 Aug 2007, 13:42 »

So by then HD format players will be cheap enough that I don't need one in my game system. Besides which, using game systems as movie players extensively can lead to the drive crapping out early. Or at least, that's what happened with the PS2 and original X-Box.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #8 on: 08 Aug 2007, 13:56 »

I'm still going by my "if it's less than $300, I'll buy it" rule when it comes to consoles.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 08 Aug 2007, 14:25 »

You're gonna be waiting a while, then.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #10 on: 08 Aug 2007, 15:28 »

How so? He can get the Core version for under $300 now.

Aside from the fact it's the shitty version, if the Wii continues to outsell the competition by such a wide margin, look to see another drop by next year's holiday season. If developers jump on the Wii bandwagon as heavily as many claim they want to now that it's selling, I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii lap the competition by the end of 2008 (It's already sold about double the other two combined in Japan and will likely have surpassed the 360 by month's end at its current pace, being only about a million units behind in mid July). If that happens, expect drastic measures from Sony and Microsoft. If either of those two drops their price, the other will be forced to follow suit to stay competetive.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 08 Aug 2007, 15:33 »

VG Chartz puts the Wii and 360 neck and neck.

Microsoft needs this right now. If it even just causes the 360 match the Wii's sales it'll be enough for now. That's a pretty tall order, though.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 08 Aug 2007, 16:08 »

Buying the Core system is like slapping yourself in the face. Retail chains are beginning to stop stocking the Core unit because it sells so slowly. Eventually Microsoft will give it the ax. As far as ScrambledGregs 'under 300 dollars' rule, it'll probably be a good long while before the Premium edition has another 50 dollar price drop, considering it took them over a year and a half for it to get the first one. For me, that's a long time to not be playing the many, many great 360 games.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #13 on: 09 Aug 2007, 08:29 »

I guess my justification is that I don't have a HDTV and I'm not going to pay $60 a year for Live. But what it boils down to is justifying the price of admission to a console. Do I think that any game on the 360 is worth $400 plus $60 for the game?? No. I don't think that any game ever has been worth that to me. But do I think that certain experiences on the Wii are worth $250 plus $50 for the game?? Yes, because that's still lower than the 360 itself.

You've got to remember, and I may have said this before on here, I've never paid more than $200 for a console. Regardless of inflation, that's still a lot of money to me and to a lot of other people. In terms of games that made me want to shell out for a console, it was never one game alone, but rather one single game that ended up tipping my hand and making me go "ok, fuck, I have to have it." Shen Mue made me shell out for a Dreamcast, but there were other great games for it, too. Halo 2 made me shell out for a Xbox, but there was also KOTOR and Fable was coming and so on. Final Fantasy X made me shell out for a PS2, but there were other games I wanted or would want for it, too. And in all those cases, I never paid more than $200 for the console and $50 for the game.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #14 on: 09 Aug 2007, 08:34 »

I myself have a large series of games I've been dying for on 360. I want Dead Rising, Gears of War and Guitar Hero II. I also want Resident Evil 5 and Blue Dragon when they eventually come out.
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 09 Aug 2007, 08:44 »

Yeah, I've got about 5 games on my "Need to buy" list right now, with a stupidly large number of games coming out in the next year that I'm very very tempted to buy. I managed to skip the X-Box because it had next to no appeal to me but MS managed to rope me in this time.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 09 Aug 2007, 08:50 »

That there is my other reasoning. I completely skipped the original Xbox. Ninja Gaiden was really the only original Xbox exclusive I could give two shits about, so I never felt the urge. I got the KotoR games on PC and Fable was also available there.
JON MADE ME GAY

MlKE

« Reply #17 on: 09 Aug 2007, 14:28 »

let's say that the next console generation will happen in 2012.

buying an xbox360 right now means you're basically spending 70 dollars per year on the system.
buying it in a year and a half when it costs 300 bucks, youll be spending 86 dollars per year on the system.

buying a console closer towards the end of it's lifespan for a steep price doesn't make as much sense to me, as buying it closer to the beginning of it's lifespan where you can get more playing time out of it.

And assuming you're going to get the same games, no matter what, you're going to be cramming your gaming into less time, which means a less fulfilling gameplay where you may not get all the easter eggs in an rpg or achievements in a fps. if you like online gaming, you're not going to get as much practice in, and online gaming won't be nearly as fun, because we all know everyone on xbox live are dicks and just want to kill everybody instead of helping out a noob.

in 40 years when you look back at the great consoles of your adolescense, you won't remember xbox360 or ps3 being awesome, because you didn't get as good of an experience out of them as others did, because you weren't willing to shell out the extra cheddaz.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #18 on: 09 Aug 2007, 15:05 »

Your logic on that is absolutely abysmal. The hardware is useless without software and the software simply did not justify the previous price point.

I mean sure, I COULD be getting more gaming time for my money, but not if there's not enough games I care to play. If I'd bought a 360 at launch for $400, sure I'd have it for its entire lifespan, but it would've been a glorified paperweight until Dead Rising came out a full nine or ten months into its lifespan. That's a good seventy bucks right down the shitter. Conversely, I could wait until the first price drop, save fifty bucks and play catchup. Better to have too many games and not enough time to play them in than have the console collecting dust while my investment goes wasted. Those games aren't going away on me.

A console doesn't magically stop working when the new generation comes out. I didn't buy my way into the last generation until about a year into the PS2's lifespan and even then, I was buying a Dreamcast, not a PS2. I paid like $99 for it and I still use it. That factor's in to about under twenty bucks a year.

Sure, I could spend $500 for a PS3 right now and I'd have a longer timeframe to enjoy it, but the only game for it I would even bother playing is a game I already played last generation. If I were so desperate to play a prettier version of Ninja Gaiden, I'd buy a used original Xbox and Ninja Gaiden Black for about $90 total and maybe ten bucks worth of beer to make it look better.

The only console I ever bought at launch (Before my Wii) was the Nintendo 64 and it was a huge mistake. I got Super Mario 64 and beat every minute detail inside a few months and then got to sit on my thumbs with a $200 paperweight and wait for Star Fox 64 to come out months later.

Buying a console at launch is just an ill advised move in most instances. The Wii was a calculated decision on my part. At launch, it was a full $150 cheaper than the closest competition meaning a pricedrop is probably a couple years off and there was a list of games coming out in a streamlined enough manner for me to maximize my enjoyment of it across a good timeframe (Legend of Zelda to Super Paper Mario to Resident Evil 4 to Metroid Prime 3 to Super Mario Galaxy with Wii Sports, the Bigs and SSBB thrown in for good measure). I already have more Wii games on my shelf than there are 360 games I could really picture myself diving into.

There's also the factor of diminishing value of games. I waited almost two full years before deciding for sure to buy a 360. At this point, I will be saving fifty dollars and I can get Dead Rising for only $30 brand new now. By the time I finish that, Metroid Prime 3 should be out. By the time I finish that, Guitar Hero 3 will be on the horizon. By the time I get sick of that, Gears of War will likely have dropped in price a bit. If I'd bought the 360 at launch, that's an extra eighty bucks (Fifty for the console, thirty for the game) to spend on something I would've put in maybe 100 hours worth of time total over the last year or so.
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 09 Aug 2007, 15:21 »

Ok, how does this list of goodies look for purchasing the 360. Keep in mind I have a $500 budget.

360 Premium - $350 ($330 if Amazon keeps it's price down long enough)
Dead Rising - $30
Viva Pinata - $20
X-Box Live Camera Bundle - $65 (Includes a year of Gold, Uno, Robotron, Camera and another headset)

I already have a 2nd controller, albeit wired, and I might be able to fit another budget priced game on the list. Also, Settler's and Carcassonne will be bought the moment I get it home and connected to the net. Also multiple other XBL games that I'm sure I'll find.

Is Ninja Gaiden Black BC with the 360?

Also, yes, the first year is rarely worth owning a console for with rare exception. The Wii did it for me mainly due to the VC and launching with Zelda and also being $250. The 360 really would have done nothing but collect dust for 10 months If i had gotten it at launch.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 09 Aug 2007, 15:32 »

Yes, Ninja Gaiden Black is backwards compatible. I bought it for 20 bucks because I didn't have an original X-Box. It's fucking HARD.

And I bought a 360 the day after Dead Rising came out, but that's also because I didn't have a PC capable of running Oblivion. Those two games lasted me for a good long time, until last year's holiday season when a whole bunch of 360 games started coming out. I don't regret it in the least at this point, especially with this year's holiday season looking even better.

And Live is 50 dollars a year, not 60. It sounds kind of like a lot, except that when you work it out it's 4 dollars a month, so whatever. My network is all kinds of fucked up at home, so I've actually owned a 360 for almost a year now without even using Live. I downloaded some Live Arcade games at my friend's house once, but as far as online play goes I haven't missed it a whole lot. Probably when I move out and finally bother with getting it all set up I'll wonder how I lived without it, but right now I'm not losing sleep over it.

Seriously though, the 360 is a great system. It seems like now is a great time to get one with the price drop and the hardware revisions fixing a lot of the problems (no HDMI, quieter/cooler processors). Of course, the 65 nm chipset being added in recently is still rumored, so if you are still holding out you might as well wait another couple of months to find out for sure. All I can say about the hardware issues is that I've had no trouble with mine whatsoever, and I live in a pretty hot part of California.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 09 Aug 2007, 16:06 »

I broke and went ahead and ordered Phantom Dust and Ninja Gaiden Black with ridiculously long shipping times. The only 2 games i had any interest in for the X-Box sadly enough.

I really can't help but think that playing Dead Rising (obsessively) will make me very antsy for info concerning the sequel.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #22 on: 09 Aug 2007, 17:03 »

Wait...you live in New York and you bothered to have it shipped? How far can you be from a given video game store that you couldn't just go out and track it down? Ninja Gaiden Black is pretty readily available at most Gamestops and while I'm not a fan of the company itself, they've never fucked me so bad I'll shitcan the convenience of it.
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 09 Aug 2007, 17:09 »

Personally, I've never had a problem with my local Gamestop. I think the staff knows I know enough about games for it to not be worth their time hassling me for shit I don't need, and I don't buy used games unless they're impossible to find any other way. I believe the last used game I bought was Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, because that was a long time after it came out but before Konami announced they were going to release a greatest hits version.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #24 on: 09 Aug 2007, 17:30 »

My local EB Games is stocked with pretty great guys. Sometimes they do the whole "reserve something plz" shit, and they did talk me into an Edge Club membership (meh, I like having mags for bathroom material even if it's a crap mag), but otherwise they're cool. Plus they told me about getting in a shipment of DS Lites as I was in the store one day last summer when they were impossible to find.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with my DS enough to put off getting a new console. I just ordered Etrian Odyssey and Mario Kart off Amazon today, and I'll be picking up both Contra 4 and Front Mission when they come out this fall/winter.

ackblom12

« Reply #25 on: 09 Aug 2007, 18:19 »

I despise retail electronic game stores with a passion and will only go to them if I absolutely have to. It causes me physical pain to shop and I'm quite happy to wait a couple of days to get my stuff if it means not paying tax on the product and not having to go to the store. I hate shopping enough that I got a Amazon Prime membership.

I also purposely took the long ass shipping so that I wouldn't be staring at the cases for a week and a half trying to will a 360 into existence.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #26 on: 09 Aug 2007, 18:48 »

...it'll probably be a good long while before the Premium edition has another 50 dollar price drop, considering it took them over a year and a half for it to get the first one. For me, that's a long time to not be playing the three or four great 360 games.

And I post this as someone who is happy with his 360.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

MlKE

« Reply #27 on: 10 Aug 2007, 11:02 »

Your logic on that is absolutely abysmal. The hardware is useless without software and the software simply did not justify the previous price point.

I mean sure, I COULD be getting more gaming time for my money, but not if there's not enough games I care to play. If I'd bought a 360 at launch for $400, sure I'd have it for its entire lifespan, but it would've been a glorified paperweight until Dead Rising came out a full nine or ten months into its lifespan. That's a good seventy bucks right down the shitter. Conversely, I could wait until the first price drop, save fifty bucks and play catchup. Better to have too many games and not enough time to play them in than have the console collecting dust while my investment goes wasted. Those games aren't going away on me.

A console doesn't magically stop working when the new generation comes out. I didn't buy my way into the last generation until about a year into the PS2's lifespan and even then, I was buying a Dreamcast, not a PS2. I paid like $99 for it and I still use it. That factor's in to about under twenty bucks a year.

Sure, I could spend $500 for a PS3 right now and I'd have a longer timeframe to enjoy it, but the only game for it I would even bother playing is a game I already played last generation. If I were so desperate to play a prettier version of Ninja Gaiden, I'd buy a used original Xbox and Ninja Gaiden Black for about $90 total and maybe ten bucks worth of beer to make it look better.

The only console I ever bought at launch (Before my Wii) was the Nintendo 64 and it was a huge mistake. I got Super Mario 64 and beat every minute detail inside a few months and then got to sit on my thumbs with a $200 paperweight and wait for Star Fox 64 to come out months later.

Buying a console at launch is just an ill advised move in most instances. The Wii was a calculated decision on my part. At launch, it was a full $150 cheaper than the closest competition meaning a pricedrop is probably a couple years off and there was a list of games coming out in a streamlined enough manner for me to maximize my enjoyment of it across a good timeframe (Legend of Zelda to Super Paper Mario to Resident Evil 4 to Metroid Prime 3 to Super Mario Galaxy with Wii Sports, the Bigs and SSBB thrown in for good measure). I already have more Wii games on my shelf than there are 360 games I could really picture myself diving into.

There's also the factor of diminishing value of games. I waited almost two full years before deciding for sure to buy a 360. At this point, I will be saving fifty dollars and I can get Dead Rising for only $30 brand new now. By the time I finish that, Metroid Prime 3 should be out. By the time I finish that, Guitar Hero 3 will be on the horizon. By the time I get sick of that, Gears of War will likely have dropped in price a bit. If I'd bought the 360 at launch, that's an extra eighty bucks (Fifty for the console, thirty for the game) to spend on something I would've put in maybe 100 hours worth of time total over the last year or so.

you raise many good points, and I don't blame you for not having a 360 or ps3 yet if you're not interested in any of the games so far.

I was going on the presumption that there were games already out that you wanted, but you were just waiting for the system to drop before you bought it and those games.

I'm like you, though. I bought my ps3, because I really wanted to play MLB: The Show and Motorstorm. and in less than a week, Lair comes out. next month, Heavenly Sword. Somewhere down the line, GTA IV. I'm pretty happy with the ps3's upcoming lineup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up