THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 04:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: suggest me some graphic novels.  (Read 41170 times)

humanoftheyear

• Not quite a lurker
    • dur
suggest me some graphic novels.
« on: 13 Aug 2007, 17:47 »

this past year i've become very enamored with graphic novels. as an aspiring artist myself, i've found a new level of inspiration from reading them.
as with most things in life that i enjoy, i want more, more, more. i'd really appreciate some suggestions for great graphic novels you guys have read. especially graphic novels that are memoirs, those are my absolute favorites.

my favorites so far have been:
fun home by alison bechdel
pyongyang by guy delisle
persepolis by marjane satrapi
maus by art spiegelman
blankets by craig thompson

two i have yet to read but received as gifts:
autobiographix - dark horse
safe area gorazde - joe sacco

i've read some frank miller but not too much. mainly his works that have been adapted to film. i'm also a fan of will eisner, but i haven't really gone beyone reading his version of moby dick.

i'm also curios as to what people think of graphic novels as far as literature goes. i've had a few professors in uni teach them in class, and some teachers just find the idea of a book with pictures too absurd for a college level (which i find ridiculous myself). what do ya'll think? are you less likely to take comics/graphic novels less seriously than classics that are taught to you in school?

i'm curious (:
A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession.
Albert Camus

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Re: suggest me some graphic novels.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2007, 20:26 »

My two favourites:

The Walking Dead by Kirkman & Moore (et. al.)
Y: The Last Man by Vaughan, Guerra & Marzan (et. al.)

I'm into post-apocalyptic type stuff. The Walking Dead is (obviously) about zombies. Y: The Last Man is about the last man left on Earth - every single male on Earth dies at the same time, except for one.

Both are phenomenally written, the artwork (b&w for Walking Dead, full colour for Y:TLM) is incredible and they're both so detailed. I highly recommend both.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

humanoftheyear

• Not quite a lurker
    • dur
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2007, 20:30 »

when my fiancee was in kuwait i sent him a few of the walking dead volumes. he now has the whole collection. i started to read the first one but i couldn't really get that into it but he insists it's amazing. i should pick it up again.

i also really love mouse guard. so cute and violent.
Albert Camus

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2007, 23:50 »

I second all recommendations of works by Alan Moore, as well as Walking Dead.  Also highly recommend Transmetropolitain (10 volumes, but cheap on amazon and you can read the first few and see if you like it... it only gets better), or really anything by Warren Ellis.  I've pimped him before and I'll pimp him again, he is absolutely my favorite twisted, ornery bastard.  Kingdom Come if only for the artwork; having the whole thing illustrated by Alex Ross is breathtaking.  If you're a Marvel fan I also suggest the first few volumes of the Exiles TPB, the ones written by Judd Winick.  It's rejects from alternate x-men universes thrown into a Quantum Leap type setting.  Honestly, it's the only x-men related franchise I've read in the past 5 years that I've truly loved.

Edit: Just remembered Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughn.  Inspired by a news snippet coming from the Iraq war, it follows a bunch of lions who escaped from a zoo during the bombing of the Iraqi city.  Short, self-contained, and quite moving.

Edit x2!:  I just saw your question regarding the literary value of graphic novels and thought of something that might be relevant.  A month or two ago one of my friends and former roomate happened to introduce an anthropology professor to Transmetropolitan (he was over for a family event).  Unexpectedly, he was so enamored by the book that he made the first three volumes available to all of his students.  Not sure what this says about it's literary value or the sanity of said professor, but it's interesting....
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2007, 00:06 by Noct »

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2007, 00:00 »

Alan Moore is great, but if you want comic memoirs, the next logical step after all the ones you have listed is Epileptic by David B.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2007, 08:18 »

Is there a difference between graphic novels and comic books? If so, what?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2007, 19:32 »

Hmm...yes, I would say there is a pretty large grey area between what is a graphic novel and what is a comic book...There are differences of course, but there are also a lot of similarities.

As for the question at hand...

Did you read -both- parts of Maus? I know a lot of people in my Book Group didn't realize there was a second part to it (we had to read it for a group discussion at my college), so I had to explain to a bunch of people what happened afterwards, even though it had been forever since I read it.

Have you ever read Fables? I would reccomend it if you haven't read it. It's a few volumes (I think 6 issues each?), and possibly still on-going. It's been a bit since I checked up on it's progress, but it is -very- good, and the artwork is to die for.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2007, 00:15 »

Is there a difference between graphic novels and comic books? If so, what?
There is no real consensus on the terms and it usually depends on who you ask. A random sample:

Person 1: "Graphic novel" refers to comics in the form of hardbound books and trade paperbacks, "comic book" refers to the traditional 6.5 x 10 pamphlet-form comic book.
Person 2: "Graphic novel" refers to any and all comics.
Person 3: "Comic book" refers to any and all comics.
Person 4: The proper term is Sequentially-Illustrated Novel, guys. Stop bringing down the medium.
Person 5: MANGAS LOL!!
Person 6: The terms are pretty much interchangeable. It's all comics in the end.

It seems to me that most people who say "graphic novel" lean towards the first definition, or a qualified version of it. My view on the issue is the same as that of Person 6. Person 6 is a good guy.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2007, 02:52 by tomselleck69 »
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2007, 02:40 »

Guy Delisle has another travelogue graphic novel called "Shenzen" that you would probably also really enjoy, if you haven't read it yet, also published by Drawn & Quarterly. It's really good.

Based on your list, I would also recommend:

"A Contract with God" by Will Eisner (arguably the "first" graphic novel... but that's neither here nor there)
"Louis Riel" and "The Little Man" by Chester Brown
"Wimbeldon Green" and "Clyde Fans" by Seth (or anything else he's done for that matter, the guy is amazing)
"Same Difference" by Derek Kirk Kim - you can actually read this one online for free HERE
"American Born Chinese" by Gene Luen Yang
"Signal to Noise" by Neil Gaiman & Dave McKean

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2007, 19:55 »

Kingdom Come

Superman: Red Son

Marvels
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2007, 20:50 by Blue Kitty »

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2007, 21:42 »

And no one has bothered mentioning Sandman? The story isn't just amazing, but the art is as well.
There's a lot of stuff out there to be reading in graphic novel land.
Try Chunky Rice if you like Craig Thompson. Also, I've heard good things about American Splendour, but I could be wrong, I haven't read it.
And Bone is a fantastic series (What?).
Surf the webernets to your heart's content on the subject of graphic comic novels. There are a lot of them out there, but I get the sense you might not be looking for the whole superhero bent, right? Check out Watchmen anyway, and, like some above me have said, any Alan Moore. He's the only person who has looked into superheroes memorably for me, after all, he's the only man to ever have won a Hugo for a comic. (Watchmen)
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:36 »

In terms of the difference between comics and graphic novels:...there is none. Typically graphic novel is used by people who don't want to cop to the fact they're reading a medium that is typically looked down upon as childish by the mainstream.

Anyways, it sounds to me like you're looking for more finite material than anything serialized. As much as I absolutely lover Walking Dead, it's a book with no specific end in sight. If you love zombies, I wouldn't dare let that stop you, though. As a fan of the zombie horror genre, Walking Dead is simply the best zombie related story I have ever encountered (Much better than anything Romero's put out since Dawn of the Dead). While it's meandered from the overall zombie idea lately, it's a suspenseful and well conceived character piece.

Y the Last Man comes heavily recommended as well. It was mentioned briefly, but some additional details: It's a finite storyline with a beginning, middle and end. They're a few months away from the ending (I think there's maybe two issues left before it's done). It focuses on about three years in the life of Yorick, the sole surviving human male after a catastrophe kills every single organism with a Y chromosome except him and his monkey Ampersand.

If you don't mind the tights and flights genre, there's also some great reading out there. Kingdom Come was mentioned. That's a story of a future period when most of Earth's heroes have gone into retirement. It focuses on Superman's return and him attempting to build a new world order around the other heroes.

Rising Stars is a great work. It focuses on 112 people from Pederson, Illinois who were all born with superpowers due to an unexplained (Initially) phenomenon that occured while they were all in utero.

Anything that Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale collaborated on (Batman: The Long Halloween, Spider-Man: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow, etc) is worth checking out.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

HPPH

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2007, 17:47 »

Will Eisner: if you've only read his Moby Dick, you really ought to read A Talk With God. That's an amazing book.

American Splendor may be of interest since it's a rotating artist dealing with one man's every day stories.

Here's one a little harder to find, My Brain Hurts is being collected. At $5, it's not a risky thing to try out. Romance and teenage angst in a coming of age story.

It's not collected (to my knowledge) but Action Girl has occassional Alison Bechdel stories and is an on again off again all women artist/writer anthology edited by Sarah Dyer.

Her husband, Evan Dorkin, also runs a great book,  Dork. It's being collected I believe.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2007, 23:51 »

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2007, 17:36 »

All really great reccomendations. I'm relatively new to the medium myself- i've been reading them for about 2 years now and am quite addicted. In terms of them being taken seriously by accademic types; my source for just about every one i've read has been the uni library, they have thousands of them (meaning that i actualy own very few) but i think that the fact that such a considerable amount of mo ney would be spent making them available to students is a good indication tha they are recognised as a worthy form of literature. However, i don't think they should be studied. They weren't designed to be "taught", every element of them has been made wholly accessable to the reader, and i don't think there is much a proffessor could reveal about them.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2007, 10:30 »

I mostly agree with you on the accessibility of graphic novels, although there a few out there which might warrant some actual study.  Yeah I know everyone mentions it, but Watchmen is the first one that comes to mind.  Theres a lot there you'd miss if you don't at least know the gist of postmodernist thinking.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2007, 17:52 »

Agreed. I was lost when i read it for the first time 3-4 years ago. On previous reccomendations- I just bought the first two volumes of the walking dead. I'm nearly finished the first and it's pretty damn fun. I also got Joe Sacco's Palestine, what's that like? Also, can anyone reccomend a good comic review site?

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2007, 19:10 »

I am going to agree with those who reccomended Transmetrapolitan and Y: The Last Man.

I'm also going to add anything by Sam Kieth, who is pretty much my comic hero.  My favourite is definately Zero Girl, but the Maxx series is really good too.  Bizarre though.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

HPPH

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2007, 19:39 »

I have to disagree. It's a lesson in the synthesis of words and pictures to tell stories. Because it has written elements, there's the ability to use plot, prose, discussion of articulate ideas. Because it is a visual medium, composition, visual symbolism, line, shade, etc come into play as well. Should they be studied? Absolutely! Unless you think literature shouldn't be or art history, there's no reason why comics shouldn't be studied either. The only issue I see limiting it is that its form as we know it has only been around for over 100 years. It's one of those mediums that shows up every few years combining elements to experience it like Opera was the synthesis of writing, music and visual elements during the Baroque.

humanoftheyear

• Not quite a lurker
    • dur
« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2007, 22:07 »

Did you read -both- parts of Maus? I know a lot of people in my Book Group didn't realize there was a second part to it (we had to read it for a group discussion at my college), so I had to explain to a bunch of people what happened afterwards, even though it had been forever since I read it.

Have you ever read Fables? I would reccomend it if you haven't read it. It's a few volumes (I think 6 issues each?), and possibly still on-going. It's been a bit since I checked up on it's progress, but it is -very- good, and the artwork is to die for.

yeah, i read both parts for a class i took over literature and the holocaust.  i love that prof for introducing me to spiegelman and recommending alison bechdel to me. i wonder how people didn't know there was a second part, isn't there a I on the binding? i know the two books aren't the original way it was printed, but i figured it was common knowledge that there were two.

and thanks sososo much to everyone else for their input. i'm glad i have a healthy list to take to my comic store! ya'll also gave me a few good gift ideas for my fiancee. i always feel kind of dumb for some reason whenever i pester the clerks to see what they like.  maybe because they're so passionate and namedrop 50million artists and it makes me feel illiterate.

but, yay. i'm glad i'm working again so i can start buying more books. i really don't know how other people are about buying books vs. checking them out from a library, but i love collecting them and adding notes and stuff in the text.
Albert Camus

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2007, 22:21 »

My boyfriend and I have about $2000 worth of graphic novels now.  I need another bookcase, I have too much crap.

So basically, I'd rather buy than borrow, because I am a chronic re-reader.
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2007, 22:59 »

I still have no idea about the terms. Thanks for your help though, guys. I still feel like people who say graphic novel are dorkier than people who say comic book. Anyway.....

Read Fables. My understanding is that it is really good. A friend who knows a lot about comics recommended it to me.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Michael Nehora

« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2007, 23:07 »

The earlier volumes of Dave Sim's Cerebus are well worth reading, particularly High Society, Church and State (2 vol.), and Jaka's Story.  (They're printed on newsprint, and are therefore less expensive than most graphic novels or trade collections.)  Sim, besides being a pioneer in comics self-publishing, was for some time an innovative storyteller in terms of writing, panel layout, lettering and other elements.  Unfortunately, as Sim retreated more and more into his own inner world, Cerebus became increasingly inaccessible and ultimately a platform for his bizarre extremist views on women, homosexuals, and religion.  But don't let that keep you from trying the earlier volumes I've mentioned.

Although manga is, in the West, commonly associated with formulaic, juvenile adventure and romance stories, the last few years have seen the translation and publication of sophisticated and literary manga novels.  I'm still relatively new to these, but for now I can recommend all eight volumes of Osamu Tezuka's Buddha.  It's funny, moving and inspirational without being preachy or proselytizing.

In terms of DC publications,along with those others have mentioned I'd recommend Grant Morrison's Animal Man, Doom Patrol and The Invisibles, listed in order of accessibility.  Animal Man is, like Watchmen, a deconstruction of the superhero genre and Morrison's most emotionally powerful work.  Doom Patrol belongs in the "absurdist literature" category;  Morrison used automatic writing and the "cut-up" technique to portray a world constantly in flux between sense and nonsense.  The Invisibles is Morrison's most complex and subversive work, dealing with anarchism (both violent and peaceful), magic, and the ways in which language determines reality.  It does get confusing at times as the series progresses (and the frequent, sometimes inappropriate artist changes don't help), but there are good online annotations to guide readers through the "huh?!" bits.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007, 23:09 by Michael Nehora »

HPPH

« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2007, 23:24 »

I'd go on further with Doom Patrol since Rachel Pollack's run deal very nicely in discussions of religion and gender theory but those haven't been collected yet as trades.

Michael Nehora

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2007, 23:42 »

Yes, I hope they collect Pollack's Doom Patrol run.  I love her non-fiction books on tarot, kabbalah and such.  All I know about her stint on DP is her allusion to one of her storylines in her companion book to Dave McKean's Vertigo Tarot.  Yeah, I'm a freak.   :lol:  I've tried tracking down the individual issues from her run but without success.  (Apparently hers didn't sell anywhere near as well as Morrison's--many readers found them too obscure---and DC eventually cancelled the title.  So I'm not sure they will in fact put it out in trades.)

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2007, 01:41 »

ARKHAM ASYLUM. Dave McKean's most beautiful art accompanied with Morrison's most powerful story. And not at all long either.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2007, 16:22 »

Oh, has anyone else here read The Boys?  We just got it the other day, it's really good.  It's basically about this group of people who keep all the superheroes in check by beating the shit out of them.  In a nutshell anyway.

Absolutely fucking crazy Frenchman and girl who rips peoples faces off included.  It's pretty great!

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2007, 17:14 »

Persepolis blew my mind away! Its so refreshing to know that graphic novels/comics can be a great medium to express opinions as serious as what happened to the Middle East. Also, Castle Waiting is a pretty cute book, but not much of a heavy read. Its about this woman who was abused by her husband, so she goes to this castle to hide.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2007, 19:58 »

Through the past two days, I started (and caught up with) the Walking Dead. It is, as Matt and others said, very worthwhile. It mixes all of the elements of the zombie-drama perfectly and is beautifully drawn to boot (maybe beautiful isn't the right word, but it's still very good). I highly suggest it to anyone that likes any kind of comic book.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2007, 20:46 »

I think there is a second persepolis coming out.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2007, 00:23 »

Through the past two days, I started (and caught up with) the Walking Dead. It is, as Matt and others said, very worthwhile. It mixes all of the elements of the zombie-drama perfectly and is beautifully drawn to boot (maybe beautiful isn't the right word, but it's still very good). I highly suggest it to anyone that likes any kind of comic book.

I just bought the latest two volumes and am officially addicted. it started out as a shameless rip off of all the best zombie films but really comes into its own when the focus changes from the undead to the characers- and by now the people are more of a threat to eachother than them. The comic store guy said he's also really enjoyin them, that the writin aint astonishin but it's sellin point is that it is really COMPELLING and you do come to care about these people. Plus i love the art and i think it was a great idea to do it black and white.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2007, 06:51 »

Grant Morisson's The Filth is balls crazy but I loved it.  Highly recommended, especially if you like mindfucks.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2007, 16:34 »

I also really liked Transmetropolitan. I also like Jeffrey Brown's work (eg. Unlikely). Less Than Heros. Scott Pilgrim. Demo.
I like the way you work it.

Pegasus King

« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2007, 17:45 »

If someone hasn't already listed it. Howabout The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke? It was a fantastic read.

Serge

« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2007, 16:16 »

Ok, some have already been mentioned but here is my list of suggested reading. Judging from the ones you've read you would probably enjoy these. I know I did.

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
I Never Liked You by Chester Brown
Black Hole By Charles Burns.......I love this one!!!
Epileptic By David B.
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson.....same author of Blankets
Scott Pilgrim By Brian Lee O'Maley ......Hilarious!!!

So get to reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RachelEvil

• Plantmonster
    • Life Among the Unmotivated
« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2007, 17:05 »

Macedonia by Harvey Pekar, Heather Roberson, and Ed Piskor. Memoir of a student who went to Macedonia to learn how the country avoided a war. Very good. And, as far as memoirs go, Pekar's pretty much the mainstay. Some American Splendor is quite good... any given volume will really give you kind of a mix, though the recent, Vertigo-released one is quite good overall. As far as non-AS Pekar, you'd do well to check out The Quitter (a memoir of Pekar's early life) and Ego & Hubris: The Michael Malice Story (about a guy who I thought had to be fictional until I read the jacket...). Both of those are very, very good.

And yeah, Eisner's good. A Contract With God is fantastic, but I prefer Dropsie Avenue.

Oh, and you might like some Alex Robinson. Box Office Poison and Tricked are both quite good.

You may also dig Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan (and an artist whose name I forget), if talking animals don't bother you.

Also, I second the Ghost World suggestion. I really love Clowes' work. Ice Haven, David Boring, and Caricature are also well worth picking up. Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron is fantastic, but probably way the hell too out there for most folks.

Oh, and, finally, if you don't mind superheroes, do get Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman. It's a thing of beauty (only the first volume (of two, I think) is out, though).
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2007, 17:17 by RachelEvil »
http://lifeamong.thecomicseries.com
Life Among the Unmotivated - Boredom and apathy, thrice weekly.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2007, 19:03 »

http://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Story-Return-Marjane-Satrapi/dp/0375714669/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-0507834-2104663?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190772120&sr=8-3
Man, this has been out for a while. There is also an animated movie that Marjane Satrapi directed.

Grimmy

« Reply #37 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:36 »

Read Fables. My understanding is that it is really good. A friend who knows a lot about comics recommended it to me.

it is currently my favorite title, and the only comic book I actively collect.

All of the fairy tale characters have been driven from their homelands and are living in a community that they set up in New york called Fabletown, which they have kept hidden due to their immortality.
One of the best comics out there.
Also, I was a fan of 100 bullets, and there was a short series collected in four volumes called Sleeper which is worth reading about super powered criminal mafia type of guys,m and included a few of the Wildcats characters, with one of them being the main antagonist.

Grimmy
also participate on the Fables forums, where the author interacts with fans too

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: 02 Oct 2007, 03:28 »

http://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Story-Return-Marjane-Satrapi/dp/0375714669/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-0507834-2104663?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190772120&sr=8-3
Man, this has been out for a while. There is also an animated movie that Marjane Satrapi directed.

I've been looking ALL over theaters for that movie... any details when its coming out in america?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:30 »

All the obvious ones seem to have been mentioned. If I wanted to recommend you one thing to get first, it would be Watchmen. Alan Moore is almost certainly the best writer in the comics industry, simply because he has the canniness to exploit the form to do things that can't be done in films or novels. The examples I always pull out are the 'comic within a comic' in Watchmen, where panels of the pirate comic the boy is reading are intercut with the panels of the story, and the television studio break-in in V For Vendetta, with the simultaneous lines of dialogue from the multiple television monitors. You really have to read it to understand.

Otherwise, it seems to me that people have been kind of reticent with non-western suggestions. If there's any manga that you NEED to read, it's probably Akira, by Katsuhiro Otomo. This is a pity, because Akira is absolutely fucking enormous: it has to be one of the longest continous graphic novel by a single author/artist behind Cerebus (and you can quibble about Cerebus because a lot of the artwork was a collaboration). It's expensive as well. Each of the six books set me back £20 (for Volumes 1-3) or £25 (for Volumes 4-6), about four years ago. Might be cheaper now, that was before manga really blew up. It's a lot better than the film, with deeper characters, and miraculously it actually makes sense. At the end of the day though, it's probably worth it just for the artwork. It's also a great first time manga, because it doesn't employ any of the Japanese comics conventions that might alienate a reader in other manga (No chibi, no nosebleeds, etc.) Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, the english translation is only available flopped (ie mirror imaged so it reads left to right, rather than right to left like a proper manga), and all the onomatopeia and almost all the 'in world' writing has been meticulously stripped out by some poor bastard with Photoshop and replaced with english writing. Admittedly, this has been done very proffessionally, but it is jarringly noticeable now and then (for example, when the Americans show up and Otomo had english writing originally on their planes, it is all backwards) In a similiar vein, Masamune Shirow's 'Ghost in the Shell' is a good aquisition. It's been much less fucked around than Akira, mainly just flopped, and although the plot maybe isn't quite as deep, and the artwork is much more cartoony, in the Japanese sense, it still looks great and reads great, and, refreshingly, Shirow allows you the option of choosing whether to be a complete geek or not by shoving most of the hard sci-fi ephemera into copious notes at the end of the thing, which aren't really necessary to the story. Another definite is 'Barefoot Gen' by Keiji Nakazawa, a moving autobiographical account of the atom-bombing of Hiroshima.

After that, you're probably, in all honesty with myself, in the territory where you have to actually like manga and its conventions, though I'd say you'd be pretty safe with Blade of the Immortal and Lone Wolf and Cub, because, hey, who doesn't like mysterious ronin beating the shit out of everyone they meet? And, judging by your selection of favourites, I probably shouldn't go in to any of the extreme stuff, though I think everyone needs to read at least one Suehiro Maruo book before they die, preferably after having taken some potent hallucinogens.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Clobbersaurus

• Emoticontraindication
  • homosex
« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2007, 18:47 »

cant wait to see Persepolis animated. haven't been able to hit up a festival yet :(

BONE
Kabuki
X-Force/X-statix

but looking at your list and the ones provided, i'm most likely preaching to the choir  :mrgreen:
male elephant seals are really ugly.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2007, 20:30 »

Yes to Bone, yes.
Also, Khar, what about Osamu Tezuka. Apollo's Song was pretty great, check that out too.

malfeasance

« Reply #42 on: 14 Oct 2007, 04:13 »

A lot of people look straight to Alan Moore for the perfect example of art-comics. I've never been able to handle Moore, he just doesn't tell stories the way I like them. Neil Gaiman is much more my style, I'm yet to read/watch anything with him behind it that I didn't love. An up and coming comic that's pretty exciting is the Exterminators, which is full of gross bugs exploding etc. It has no big names in the creative team but it's amazingly involving and funny. It's at its second trade (in Australia, probably up to 5 in the States) but I expect good things. Also the Jeph Loeb/ Tim Sale run of Batman comics (Long Halloween, Haunted Knight, Dark Victory) are really the best thing mainstream DC has going.

normz

« Reply #43 on: 14 Oct 2007, 22:17 »

Sandman & Watchmen

oh man two of my faves .... you are indeed after my heart!! Allso of course  im gunna add a hell yeah to v for vendetta and sin city

MusicScribbles

« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2007, 18:28 »

I would also like to add From Hell to this list. While extremely hefty, it's worth the read.
I don't feel like the original poster is still using the forums though, or is still checking this thread for that matter.
Is all of this for naught?
I suggest that any further recommendations be to the forums as a whole, and be accompanied by some sort of description of the title.
I'll start.
From Hell is a 572 page 'graphic novel' (*Cough* comic *cough*) by Alan Moore, and illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It is about Jack The Ripper, if that helps (Although it's more likely you've heard of the movie, which is different, heh.). The story mainly revolves around a character named Gull. Pick this up if you are interesting in Jack the Ripper and Alan Moore, and a story that has Mr. Moore speculating JtR's identity and possible motives.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #45 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:35 »

Some of my favs:

V for Vendetta;
The Watchmen; and
God Loves, Man Kills.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Ninja-bot

« Reply #46 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:47 »

I also really liked Transmetropolitan. I also like Jeffrey Brown's work (eg. Unlikely). Less Than Heros. Scott Pilgrim. Demo.

I can second Transmet. Scott Pilgrim as well, but partially because it's a 4 volume story and once you've read the first you have to read the rest, just to see him go after all the ex-boyfriends.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #47 on: 17 Oct 2007, 18:55 »

Oh, has anyone else here read The Boys?  We just got it the other day, it's really good.  It's basically about this group of people who keep all the superheroes in check by beating the shit out of them.  In a nutshell anyway.

Absolutely fucking crazy Frenchman and girl who rips peoples faces off included.  It's pretty great!

issue 11 just came out, beginning of the russia story arc, so excited for this series.

also, Preacher by Garth Ennis and Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Those are really the two biggest recommendations I can think of.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #48 on: 25 Oct 2007, 20:16 »

Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #49 on: 26 Oct 2007, 11:53 »

Since it was brought up earlier, the only difference I thought between a comic book and a graphic novel as that novels tend to only be one thing, while comic books were part of a series. Graphic novels were also longer. I dunno.

One that wasn't listed that I happen to enjoy - Frank Miller's Batman: Dark Knight Returns. I like Miller's work in general, but I really like the artwork and the storyline in this comic. (Followups are The Dark Knight Strikes Again and Holy Terror Batman!)

Others:
Kabuki
Grimm Fairy Tales
Fables
Ghost World
anything written by Neil Gaiman
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2007, 11:56 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up