THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 10:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: suggest me some graphic novels.  (Read 41260 times)

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
Re: suggest me some graphic novels.
« Reply #50 on: 26 Oct 2007, 16:07 »

Kilgore_Trout

« Reply #51 on: 31 Oct 2007, 00:46 »

Check out the names Charles Burns, Daniel Clowes, Adrian Tomine and Chris Ware.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #52 on: 05 Nov 2007, 10:43 »

Since it was brought up earlier, the only difference I thought between a comic book and a graphic novel as that novels tend to only be one thing, while comic books were part of a series. Graphic novels were also longer. I dunno.

The only difference between a graphic novel and a comic book is that graphic novels are read by people who are too pretentious and/or snobby to admit they're reading a comic book. The same thing has happened with manga in recent years. Just because you read the panels backwards doesn't change the fact it's a story presented in an illustrated, panel by panel format.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, chances are there's some dipshit who'll call it an "aquatic nonfish" for the sake of maintaining their indie cred.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #53 on: 05 Nov 2007, 12:17 »

But the thing is, the only people who are going to note the "difference" is other people who read them same as you do and aren't going to just assume "Hey, Mickey." If someone doesn't know that Mickey isn't the only thing out there in comic format, odds are that saying "Graphic Novels" is going to require explanation too.
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #54 on: 05 Nov 2007, 15:03 »

Yeah, but looking at that, where's the point if you have to slip that extra bit in anyway?

"I read comic books"

Like Donald Duck?"

"No. Anyways..."

You just dropped half your work right there.
JON MADE ME GAY

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: 05 Nov 2007, 19:18 »

There are numerous technical differences between Graphic Novels and Comics. The basic one would be that Graphic Novels are collected, self-contained stories, whereas comics could generally better be described as long sequences of linked episodes or single strips forming a generally ongoing narrative, if that makes any sense. There's a qualitative difference between, say Watchmen, and Spiderman, in the format and scope of the whole thing. There's also a difference between something like 'The Dark Knight Returns' and the Batman newspaper strips. It's also about the way you cut up the narrative of course, but only really in the final presentation. Most graphic novels originally ran as comics. In practicality, it's more a trade term: graphic novels and trade paperbacks are pretty much the same thing.

As for comics and manga, well, different presentation format (now, thank the gods, they've started selling un-flopped manga in english), different visual language (ZZZ versus nose bubbles, different way of approaching panels), largely though not exclusively based in different genres (superheroes and funny animals versus mecha and magical girls), rooted in different artistic traditions (Hogarth versus Hiroshige) though there is crossover both past and present. It makes commercial, as well as artistic sense, to present them as different things. Maybe not so much nowadays, as the two have blurred conspicuously (particularly western comics adopting concepts and aesthetics from manga).

Also, although the term 'graphic novels' might be seen as pretentious, I believe it has been crucial in gaining what literary acceptance exists of the medium. I don't think Maus would have won a Pulitzer if it had been presented as a comic book rather than a graphic novel. The term 'comics' just carries too much baggage from the dark years of the Comics Code. Hell, even back in the old days, underground comics used to call themselves 'comix' to distance themselves from that association. Maybe it's time to claim back the name for the medium, but I don't think so quite yet. Huge inroads have been made in to accepting sequential illustration (now there's a nicely pretentious term) as a legitimate, mature art form. I don't think we're ready just to go back to calling everything comics just yet.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #56 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:47 »

I think it's definitely the time to stop bastardizing the name, which is why I get so anal about it. Comics are about as close to being a respected medium as they're going to get anytime soon. Comic book movies are one of the most lucrative "genres" out there. Heroes is one of the top rated network series currently airing. The fact that I can go into a bar wearing a Captain America T-Shirt and still talk to people is sign enough for me that it's time to just call them what they are. The term "all ages entertainment" has never been so acceptable as this day and age with the popularity of Harry Potter, Spider-Man and the resurgance of Nintendo. People are starting to accept that something can be kid friendly while still appealing to adults. I don't think I've met a new person in about three years without mentioning that I'm a comic book geek in the first half hour and I really can't say a single person has looked upon that with any disrespect.
JON MADE ME GAY

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #57 on: 06 Nov 2007, 18:36 »

0bsessions has a point about how we treat ourselves and our acceptance in loving comics, but Khar, you hit what you were trying to say on the head. You successfully explained the difference between comics, graphic novels, and manga. This has nothing to do with calling the medium, comics. The japanese are completely entitled to calling their similar craft manga, the same as anime, instead of cartoons. Who are we to tell them that since we came up with the idea first, they have to name theirs the same way?
Either way, since I don't want to be involved in an argument about something I love, 0bsessions has every right to claim unwavering loyality to being open about comic geekiness, but this has nothing to do with distinguishing comics and graphic novels. The term was invented to refer to different formats. Comics never used to be released in big, chapter-bound format. Instead, an issue might come out every month. Like novel and novella refer to differently sized stories. Think of the comic, in trade terms, as a short story, and the graphic novel as a full blown, bound, paperback story, or a collection of short books.
So, I agree that they should all just be called comics, but there are still different kinds of comics, and then genres.
Like there are tubs of ice cream, and cones, and then there are flavors.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2007, 18:45 by MusicScribbles »
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #58 on: 07 Nov 2007, 06:52 »

You speak as if that's the defined notion of a graphic novel as opposed to simply your own personal viewpoint.

Most of the most widely known and critically acclaimed "graphic novels" are simply collections of comic books. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns, for example, were originally published in a non-open ended, serialized "mini-series" comic book format before getting the trade paperback treatment and earning the moniker of "graphic novel."

Even Alan Moore, the guy who wrote some of the most well known "Graphic Novels" of all time, like Watchmen and The Killing Joke, doesn't much care for the term:

2000 Alan Moore Interview.

It really is, in my view, a term that's hurting the industry. It separates and causes a mass-media distinction between comic books and "legitimate" literature and further harms the industry's intentions of becoming a largely marketable format.
JON MADE ME GAY

talon

« Reply #59 on: 10 Nov 2007, 15:33 »

anything that Alex Ross is involved with, his art is amazing and he doesn't go along with a bad story, no matter the publisher iv'e never been let down

Melt Down

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #60 on: 16 Nov 2007, 17:15 »

I'll probably get shot at for suggesting a manga, but anything by Osamu Tezuka is awesome. He is a brilliant author and illustrator.

Transmetropolitan by Brian Michael Bendis (I think) is pretty good, as is Superman Red Son.
Spiderman: Blue really moved me and is beautifully done.
Another graphic novel worth reading is the Akira series, but only if you have the time to read 6 telephone books. :lol:

Keep open minded!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #61 on: 16 Nov 2007, 19:48 »

God I wasn;t even going to say buyt Hellsinbg is so fucking good. If there's anything in thios world I ama fanboy of. Every manga, everty dvd, every soundtreack...also I have written fan fiction and I have been to an anime convention dressed as Alexander Anderson. I even said the Hellsing Prayer live on stage in a scottish accent dressed as andersaon wbhich is TOTALLY UN CANNON. I KNOW. The hellsing prayewr is protestant and wahtever.

IN THE NAME OF GOD, IMPURE SOUYLS OF THE LIVING DEAD SHALL BE BANISHED INTO ETERNAL DAMNATIO)N. AMEBN.

(In one of the fanfics i wrote integra became a vampire and fucked seras. I was 16, and this lesbian vampire fanfic consumed more effort than all my GCSEs put together.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #62 on: 18 Nov 2007, 11:52 »

Best Drunk Post of '07.

Jopon

« Reply #63 on: 18 Nov 2007, 16:14 »

Jimmy Corrigan and Invincible.

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On The Earth is a story of a middle aged man and his battle with ineptitude and makes heavy use of non-sequitur and flashbacks.

Invincible is Robert Kirkman's take on the "teen with superpowers" genre, and it just kicks ass.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2007, 17:58 »

Man, I'm not even joking about that yuri hellsing fanfic. It's over 41,000 words in length.

That's longer than several classic works of literature.

Melt Down

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #65 on: 18 Nov 2007, 23:42 »

nice to know, but at the same time, not really.

Also, another thing worth reading is Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Executioner

MusicScribbles

« Reply #66 on: 22 Nov 2007, 23:11 »

Khar, I think you should post that fanfic.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #67 on: 24 Nov 2007, 20:42 »

BONE!
Hate, rain on me

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #68 on: 24 Nov 2007, 22:04 »

I didnt like hellsing..I read the first manga book of it and it seemed like it moved too fast.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #69 on: 24 Nov 2007, 23:15 »

I'm sure most here would not suggest Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, but believe me, it is a great read despite the trendy Hot Topic goers who love it. I promise.
Hate, rain on me

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #70 on: 25 Nov 2007, 18:22 »

I'd have to disagree, but based off of having actually read it myself, as well.

I find Vasquez's material in general does not age well past the teen years. While I'd say it was all hilarious when I was seventeen, it just doesn't hold up. It worked well as a satire of the Hot Topicesque culture, but unless you still associate with anyone who falls under the cliches involved, it tends to lose its luster.
JON MADE ME GAY

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #71 on: 25 Nov 2007, 19:40 »

They just made a graphic novel adaptation of Brian Jacques "Redwall" and it is pretty awesome.  The only reason I got it is cause I'm a nerd for his books, and I've got to say it is nothing short of awesome.  It's Illustrated by Bret Blevins, but contains the entire story from Jacques' children's book.  If even just for the author's name being similar to a certain webcomic artist, I'd say pick it up.  Well worth it.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2007, 05:55 »

Watchmen

A thousand times yes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #73 on: 03 Dec 2007, 11:14 »

BONE!

Bone is one of those things from my childhood that I will never stop loving.  If anyone here hasn't read it, you owe it to yourselves to give it a shot.  It's just great, epic storytelling.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #74 on: 06 Dec 2007, 16:37 »

Further jocking Bone as well. If you like asterix, read Bone.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #75 on: 06 Dec 2007, 17:20 »

Bone is always a yes. Even though getting the complete Bone book is cheap, I recommend the new colored versions from Scholastic. Nothing is changed except for the characters being giving an amazing amount of life akin to the colors on the covers of the original Bone editions. It is perfect, and they are $10 each, which is amazing considering how expensive TPB's are. the colored version of Old Man's Cave just came out a few months ago and the seven should be arriving soon.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 07 Dec 2007, 07:58 »

Holy shit, I almost forgot Bone existed.

First I'm listening to NOFX, and now forgetting Bone, what the shit is wrong with me?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #77 on: 07 Dec 2007, 13:12 »

Someone already mentioned Box Office Poison, but I'll second it.

Also, if you like memoirs, but don't want to spend a lot of time on them, I'd suggest any of Jeffrey Brown's stuff. They're small, cute books and fun to read.

Also, Scott McCloud's stuff, though it's theory and not story, is good. Seriously good. Also, Will Eisner's theory stuff is good, but I find his actual writings to be just decent (if not overtly racist).

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #78 on: 10 Dec 2007, 16:15 »

So, Love & Rockets has yet to be mentioned. This is a CRIME.  If y'ain't yet read Love & Rockets, it is best to start with the recently released big ass compendiums Maggie the Mechanic and Heatrbreak Soup to give you a good look at the work of both of Los Bros Hernandez (Jaime and Gilbert, respectively). And even though they're compendiums, they're pretty cheap, like 15 USD I think. But anyways. Everyone should know and love Love & Rockets.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

RachelEvil

• Plantmonster
    • Life Among the Unmotivated
« Reply #80 on: 12 Dec 2007, 07:28 »

So, Love & Rockets has yet to be mentioned. This is a CRIME.  If y'ain't yet read Love & Rockets, it is best to start with the recently released big ass compendiums Maggie the Mechanic and Heatrbreak Soup to give you a good look at the work of both of Los Bros Hernandez (Jaime and Gilbert, respectively). And even though they're compendiums, they're pretty cheap, like 15 USD I think. But anyways. Everyone should know and love Love & Rockets.

Indeed. I feel ashamed that I neglected to mention it.
http://lifeamong.thecomicseries.com
Life Among the Unmotivated - Boredom and apathy, thrice weekly.

FuckNorris

« Reply #81 on: 16 Dec 2007, 21:07 »

mmmk. if ur lookin for insperation or just enjoyment of a novel, "a Midnight Opera" will give both, Hans is completly self taught.and the guy who does "Spawn" says it kicks ass!lol.   secondly, "Blade of the Imortals"
its bloody its depraived...its scary at times. BUT it has some of the best art work ever to grace a graphic novel of any kind. Hiroaki Samura is THE TOP artist in Japan. if ur lookin to learn about writing and drawing graphic novels, these two will help ALOT

Lewis Rice

« Reply #82 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:58 »

Hellboy: One of the greatest stories ever told. Made up of Mignola's wonderful art, composition (this is actually art in itself) and writing. The stories involve real mythical characters and stories Mignola has researched and studied and turned into his own universe. In my opinion the film was good and is what turned me to the comics. I'm aware a lot of people didn't like the film, for those people: The book is in no way like the film, read it now you bastards. The fact that its ongoing and that there are other Hellboy universe titles such as B.P.R.D. and Lobster Johnson out right now just makes it that tiny bit more perfect. In fifty years it will be considered a historical classical read.

Scott Pilgrim: A brilliant Canadian ongoing graphic novel series. It is hilarious with its pop culture references, strange funny manga like drawings and general all around awesomeness. The only way Scott Pilgrim can date the girl of his dreams is if he can be the Seven Evil Ex Boyfriends.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Same as Hellboy, the graphic novels are much better than the movie. Same writer as Watchmen, From Hell and many other incredible books. Alan Moore (the writer) is certainly as important to the creation of graphic novels as Bob Dylan, Elvis and The Beatles were to Rock & Roll.

costacide

« Reply #83 on: 18 Dec 2007, 12:08 »

Throw my voice as one in favor of Transmetropolitan as well, that shit was absolutely amazing.  Spent three days holed up reading the whole thing.

Also, if you're into some really bizarre stuff, look for volumes 1 and 2 of NEXTWAVE: Agents of H.A.T.E...D-list Marvel heroes brought together by a sorta SHIELD-esque organization.  Shit gets blown up, satire is abundant, stereotypes are embraced, and Marvel canon is seriously challenged.  If you wanna feel sexually uncomfortable about robots, read NEXTWAVE.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #84 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:48 »

I also have to heavily recommend Maus.
Hate, rain on me

BS

« Reply #85 on: 27 Dec 2007, 21:49 »

I'm a little tired to read text walls that came before me, but this made me chuckle.

For an ongoing series, I'd Recommend Deadpool. Some of the funniest material I've read in awhile.

For a one-book type thingy, I actually need to read more of those...

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #86 on: 09 Jan 2008, 20:30 »

Yes! Nextwave is hilarious. If you're a huge comic nerd there are plenty of references to note (like the gun-chair-thing from Elektra: Assassin), and even if you're not the humor is pretty accessible.

Has...has anyone mentioned Little Nemo in Slumberland/In the Land of Wonderful Dreams? Though it may not be a "graphic novel" in any sense, if you can get your hands on any it is super-awesome vintage comics headtrips.

Also someone's probably mentioned A Contract with God by Will Eisner, but it's worth mentioning a couple times.  A Contract with God is considered by many to be the first "graphic novel" if that means anything to you or you care at all, but seriously: this is the dude they named the award after. His work is nothing to spit at.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #87 on: 09 Jan 2008, 22:03 »

I second the fun of Scott Pilgrim, Ghost World, and anything by Neil Gaiman.

I also recommend Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis about a journalist in a really disturbing future.

And if you haven't lost your childish fun love of pirates, and adventure- One Piece.

I prefer using the term graphic novel when talking with people who know nothing about comics, simply because otherwise they will assume they know what I'm talking about and that it involves silly men in tights who think fighting off burglars is more important in a world than solving real problems. By calling them graphic novels I get a chance to explain before people assume. Silly, yes, but language is full of stereotypes and preconceptions, so what can ya do...

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #88 on: 10 Jan 2008, 18:27 »

I'm pretty sure that when people say A Contract with God was the first "graphic novel" they meant it was the first published volume of comics that in itself was a complete and stand-alone story, beginning to end, much like a novel. Basically a one-shot.

SonofZ3

« Reply #89 on: 10 Jan 2008, 19:30 »

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

A great graphic novel that is also online! You can easily get addicted to this one.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #90 on: 10 Jan 2008, 20:12 »

Fun fact: Beyond Time and Again by George Metzger used the phrase "graphic novel" something like two years before Eisner did A Contract With God.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #91 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:01 »

Being as I am ignorant of the history of such things, I figured something like this would come up. You will note I was careful never to say that it absolutely was the first graphic novel ever, but that "people say" or "it is considered."

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:38 »

I actually just learned about its existence on Wednesday, so that was me eager to mention it. I prefaced it with "fun fact" in an attempt to NOT look like a jerk, but now I read what I wrote and it just looks like a big pile of sarcasm. Damn it!

I am trying to teach myself about comics history, but at the moment my knowledge of it is patchier than... (an extremely patchy thing).
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

MusicScribbles

« Reply #93 on: 24 Jan 2008, 20:54 »

Okay forums, I have a favor to ask.
I currently have $60 in gift cards for Borders, and since Borders is Amazon with just books, cds, and dvds, I was thinking of getting a bunch of comics.
So, I could get the entirety of Love and Rockets Palomar and the Maggie/Hopey stories, I get more Sandman starting at five, more Fables starting at four, get caught up with The Walking Dead, or start Preacher, Transmetropolitan, or the Invisibles. There are so many choices to make. Should I get a mix? Help me, forums! Please?

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #94 on: 26 Jan 2008, 21:11 »

I identify with your indecision. Haven't read Preacher, so I couldn't argue with that, but I'd say Fables.

rotham

« Reply #95 on: 26 Jan 2008, 21:48 »

Preacher is nothing short of amazing. Transmetropolitan is probably my favorite all time series. Anything Garth Ennis or Warren Ellis touches is gold, The Punisher MAX, The Boys, Fell, Midnighter, et al, are all great in addition to the two i've already mentioned. 100 Bullets is good too, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of noir/crime drama, even if you are not a huge fan of comics to begin with. The Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies are all around zombie goodness. Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Dark Victory are indescribably good, and it's the goddamn Batman. As far as superhero comics are concerned, Cable and Deadpool, Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men and Invincible all rank among my favorites, although, as of One More Day, the men in tights have been pretty lame.

<Obligatory Alan Moore/Frank Miller dicksucking goes here>

Also on my reading list:

(new and old) Hellblazer
The Sword
Criminal
Proof

Also; Scott Pilgrim Scott Pilgrim Sharknife Scott Pilgrim

Amadeus

« Reply #96 on: 26 Jan 2008, 22:31 »

If it counts, I've heard nothing but good things about the Death Note manga series.

Saiokuo

« Reply #97 on: 27 Jan 2008, 00:02 »

I'm personally a big fan of both Death Note and Tarot Cafe, both mangas not American graphic novels.
Death Note is more of a Japanese psychological game of cat and mouse between killer and detective. It requires thought through the schemes and monologues of Light and L (later other inidividuals) while breaking the seriousness from time to time with comic relief. Tarot Cafe is a Korean manga with beautiful art and accurate tarot illustrations. As someone whose done research on tarot cards I can say the artist certainly did her homework when she design the comic as she integrates tarot mythology and symbolism flawlessly into the storyline.
But that turned more into a review than a recomendation didn't it?

nursethalia

« Reply #98 on: 13 Feb 2008, 12:46 »

Wet Moon by Roos Campbell.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #99 on: 13 Feb 2008, 23:28 »

I would like to add support to everyone that has suggested Alan Moore's 'Watchmen', because it is a marvelous graphic novel that everyone should read sometime during their life.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up