Stay with xp
- 4 (66.7%)
Vista with leaked Service Pack
- 2 (33.3%)
Hackentosh OSx86
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what OS should I run  (Read 4033 times)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
what OS should I run
« on: 14 Aug 2007, 14:53 »

three options.

1) stick with good ol XP

2) Install vista (free disc from HP) and get the leaked Service Pack (I've heard good things about it)

3) Hack the ever-loving snot out of everything and wrestle OSX onto my PC (I've seen it done before but I would have to read many a forum thread to even begin to know what I'm doing)
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Re: what OS should I run
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2007, 15:06 »

oh god no
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2007, 15:29 »

4)  Ubuntu

If you're going to stick to those options, I'd go with XP if it's what you're comfortable with.  OSX is a no-no on a PC, as it'll be troublesome to get to run and it's not going to run as well on anything foreign (PC).  Vista is . . . ok . . . if you like a child-like interface.  Also, I'd wait until the actual service pack is released if you want Vista -- you'll probably end up reinstalling the OS once the update is released anyways, since the leaked isn't the final version.

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2007, 16:28 »

My suggestion is to run both XP and Vista. Thus, dual-booting. This is what I do, and have XP set as the default so if I want to mess with Vista then I'll just select it when I reboot. XP is set to start 7 seconds or so once the OS selections screen is up.

That way you could play with Vista and use XP for most your stuff. Just my two-cents.

But I'll add that running OSX on a PC sounds massively intriguing to me.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2007, 16:43 »

Intriguing, sure, but you'll be running unsupported older versions, with uncertain driver support. I can't say I'd recommend it.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2007, 23:16 »

Unless you have a reason to switch to a linux, stick with xp. It's a perfectly good os and is pretty much just gonna work.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

iliketodraw

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2007, 01:05 »

Keep XP but turn off all the fancy graphical nonsense which soaks up your processor power, either than or run blackbox or something on it.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2007, 04:44 »

If you're already running XP wait a fortnight for the official Vista SP1

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2007, 08:07 »

I would need some more RAM if i were going to get the most out of Vista, I think I'll go price some.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2007, 11:58 »

1) XP is fine for now if you're already running it and feel your computer isn't quite up to specs for Vista.

2) Linux while a good OS has no reason whatsoever to be on your machine unless you have a specific need for it other than the people who just want to bash MS and say "I have linux!"

3) Vista is a good OS, but its not very good comparably on a fresh install.  It takes a lot of configuring and patience at first and once you have it set up it will run circles around XP depending on what you're doing.  Generally speaking it will automatically take up half of your total RAM allotment, however one of the things able to be configured is to keep the RAM useage of Vista down at 500mb even if you have a 2-4 gig system.

Side Note: Windows Sidebar is a nice little add on, but currently (and this may be something addressed in the SP coming)  there seems to be a memory leak with it running in a certain way.  So if you leave your computer on all the time without going into sleep mode or anything, be weary of this in case you have the Sidebar on and have customized it a lot.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2007, 23:09 »

Vista's a fine OS, and with SP1 around the corner it can't hurt to upgrade, but don't bother with a leaked version, and wait for the official thing.

Other than that, keep XP. Nothin' wrong with it, and hacking OSX is a lot more trouble than it's worth.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2007, 01:32 »

I ran Vista for a few hours on my new laptop, and it bugged the everloving shit out of me with those little permission popups.  I guess this either happens to you a lot or doesn't, depending on the phase of the moon.  Either way, I tossed it and spent a few days wrestling gentoo onto the machine.
boldly going nowhere

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2007, 09:40 »

Oh, too late now.
boldly going nowhere

azgarth

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2007, 05:03 »

problem with that is that they're the M$ protection, running it, and xp becomes safer, and performs better, so xp would still be better(this is talking about a mid-low level pc though, more then 2 gigs of  ram, a good dual or quad core proc, and a new gen grphx card would have vista perform better, probably).

i'm always a fan for dual or multi boots, i used to run with a xp-xp-ubuntu studio combi, and was doubting if i should have added vista, if ubustu would've worked properly, it would have had use, as i'm big on sound editing, but like this, i ended up just using 1 xp, so i removed the rest.

and dont forget there's programs to enhance the visual aspect, like stylexp, and stuff to emulate stuff like the thing from mac at the bottom(objectdock, rocket dock, and so on).
and  great programs like taskbar shuffle, which lets you reposition your programs on your taskbar, and trayicons on your systray.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:39 »

I would need some more RAM if i were going to get the most out of Vista, I think I'll go price some.

That's a good idea.  These days you really should be having 2 GB or RAM.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:33 »

I have 2 gigs of RAM in my desktop to run linux, and even then it helps to have a lot.  File caching makes stuff just go faster in general.
boldly going nowhere
Pages: [1]   Go Up