THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 372031 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #350 on: 28 Oct 2008, 10:46 »

picking this up on my lunch break in 2 hours. so excited.

except it's just going to sit in my car, mocking me, until i get off work when i can actually play it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #351 on: 28 Oct 2008, 13:01 »

i guess i preordered the special edition
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #352 on: 28 Oct 2008, 14:38 »

my first impressions:

1. I'm using VATS way more often than I thought I would. Mostly because if you've got a pretty good small arms skill, it saves you a shitload of ammo/stims.

2. i can't wait to nuke megaton, trying to find my way around that town is annoying as hell.

3. AGH SO LITTLE CARRYING SPACE WHERE IS THE POWER ARMOR
also israel

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #353 on: 28 Oct 2008, 14:43 »

I'm currently crawling through an elementary school boiler room.  I've decapitated 3 raiders using just bullets. Yes.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #354 on: 28 Oct 2008, 16:50 »

i don't think you can unload weapons. this is very frustrating.
also israel

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #355 on: 28 Oct 2008, 17:04 »

How do you mean?  Take the bullets out?  Or just unequip so you're not holding one out?  I know you have to hold X down to put weapons away, if that's what you're talking about.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #356 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:05 »

I think he does mean unload them, not just holster them.  It's a little annoying, I don't want to switch to a severely degraded pistol just so that I can get the two rounds out of it. 

I'm currently wrestling with ctd issues right now.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #357 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:12 »

There should be an easy fix for PC users, assuming that the engine isn't notably altered from Oblivion. the all.SPAWN + class headers carried info for weapon drops, and there's got to be a roller for ammo dropped on weapon. Take that code out of the weapon method and you should have the ammo drop on-person instead of in-hand, the same way Oblivion had different methods to drop weapons currently equipped versus stored.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ackblom12

« Reply #358 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:23 »

Well, I have successfully made a Mad Max look alike and I plan to roleplay as Max of course. Question though...

Tagged Skills. Small Guns, Repair are definites. What should i take as the 3rd tagged skill? Speech? Explosives?

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #359 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:41 »

I never saw Max as much of a Speech guy. Explosives I can see fit more.

ackblom12

« Reply #360 on: 28 Oct 2008, 20:59 »

Yeah, i agree.

hmm, Perhaps Big Guns, Explosives or Medicine? I mean, max likes to blow shit up and he was pretty self sufficient in caring for himself.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #361 on: 28 Oct 2008, 21:34 »

2. i can't wait to nuke megaton, trying to find my way around that town is annoying as hell.

If you are going to blow Megaton to shit I highly recommend killing everyone in the town before you do, you can pick up some really handy guns and a fuck load of ammo early on if you do. That is unless you're playing through as a good-aligned character.

Something I wish I had discovered early on is the effectiveness of melee combat, especially with super mutants. It's crazy how easy it is to just circle the bastards while beating the fuck out of them with a sword/any melee weapon.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #362 on: 28 Oct 2008, 21:44 »

If you are going to blow Megaton to shit... that is unless you're playing through as a good-aligned character.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #363 on: 28 Oct 2008, 22:08 »

It took me a full 10 minutes to figure out what you were saying.

I guess in my mind beating people to red mush is a lot less evil than nuking their asses.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #364 on: 28 Oct 2008, 23:01 »

I knew the quote didn't make sense, but I can't be arsed to actually edit the syntax.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #365 on: 29 Oct 2008, 00:46 »

I named my guy Mays and made him look like baseball hero Willy Mays.

This is going to own.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #366 on: 29 Oct 2008, 07:41 »

So, admittedly, I haven't read the manual, and the only thing I can't figure out is how hacking works.  When it says x/x correct, do they mean continuous letters, or just letters?  The reason I ask is because I got confronted with one that didn't seem to apply to the latter.  I chose OASIS, It said I had 3/5, and seeing as there were only two other words that had O and S, but not A or I, I tried words with AIS, but none of those worked. 

Anyways, I looked over at CtrlAltDel, apparently Tim Buckley hasn't figured out that Fallout 3 uses a hotkey system just like Oblivion's.

But that just meant I couldn't get the sentry bot out of the tube in SuperDuperMart.  I was able to find parts for the railroad gun, a mini-nuke (but no launcher), and a laser pistol (which sucks for me because I didn't put any points in Energy).  And then tons of small/big gun ammo and the shotgun, and frag grenades....

That place is loaded.  Be sure to go there at some point.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #367 on: 29 Oct 2008, 10:28 »

god damn it is this game great.

only quibble: i pretty much broke my game and lost two hours of exploring/killing/questing/collecting/etc. because i didn't save my game before i turned Mr. Burke into Simms for the destroy/save Megaton quest and when i killed him someone walked in front of me, got shot a little bit, and then the whole town turned against me and no matter where i went, i would get killed by an angry mob. they followed me into every building i went in, and even outside the city itself.

really fucking annoying.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #368 on: 29 Oct 2008, 10:47 »

Early in the game, I was trying to rescue someone while being pursued by a po-po dude, and while attacking the po-po I accidentally delivered a critical blow to her. Wasn't happy about that.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #369 on: 29 Oct 2008, 11:51 »

SPOILERS FOR MEGATON:

I'm trying to arrest Burke without getting Lucius killed. Is there an easy way to do this? I might reroll with more explosive points, because I can't find a stim that increases that skill around Megaton to defuse the bomb.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #370 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:00 »

maybe diffuse the bomb, kill Burke, then talk to Simms? i dunno.

and yeah, my explosive skill wasn't high enough either so i just did some of the other Megaton quests and did a little exploring until i leveled up so i could put points into Explosives.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #371 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:13 »

I would say help Lucas kill Burke, so you're not killing him before it happens.  Anyways, I just used some Mentats...I think there were a few in Springvale, and I know there was at least one in the SuperDuperMart.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #372 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:15 »

So I found a sawed off shotgun.  HAHA PEG FACES FOR EVERYONE!
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #373 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:59 »

How did you get Lucas to kill Burke? All I can get him to do is arrest him, and then he's shot in the back.

On the subject of Mentats, I know they increase perception, which is indirectly related to the Explosives skill, but I downed 7 of them and still couldn't crack the bomb. If you talk to Doc Church and pass a speech test, you'll find out about some dude's drug habit. It's easy enough to make him quit, and he'll give you the keys to his drug stash: 7 mentats, a handful of other drugs and 130 caps.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #374 on: 29 Oct 2008, 14:23 »

As far as I can tell the benefits of Mentats don't stack. They add 5 to your explosives skill. An unaltered explosives skill with a perception of 7 and a intelligence of 6 should be around 19, so you'll need to invest at least a single skill point into it. Although, I think there's a book you can get in the course of one of the quests that start in Megaton that increases your explosives skill by 1.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #375 on: 29 Oct 2008, 15:34 »

I rerolled and sunk enough on level 2 to disarm the bomb. I got around Burke by killing him immediately before he pulls out his pistol to kill Simms, but, funnily enough, you can kill Burke ANY time after he accosts you and the rest of the patrons don't mind. Guess they didn't like his clothes.

Does anyone else think that the default male character looks an awful lot like Back To The Future-era Michael J. Fox?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #376 on: 29 Oct 2008, 16:10 »

How did you get Lucas to kill Burke? All I can get him to do is arrest him, and then he's shot in the back.

I just did that part.  I wanted to turn Burke in but don't know if I will be able to disarm the bomb, so I just shot Burke before the "Come with me" part.  It didn't trigger as me shooting someone good, gave me a Karma boost when he died, but the sheriff just stood there while I kept hitting "VATS, headshot, VATS, headshot".

I'm starting to think that the constant VATS slow-mo attacks are going to get very annoying very soon because there is absolutely no reason I can see to ever NOT use VATS (unless you're just beating on Radroaches).

Anyway, the game seems pretty good, I guess, but I hope to fuck that Megaton is the most complicated location because the ingame map sucks enormously.  In fact it's usually totally useless.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #377 on: 29 Oct 2008, 17:59 »

Yeah, the dark green on black is kind of hard to see.  But for the most part I don't even use the map unless I'm inside something.

Times you don't want to use VATS: when you're out of ammo and have to resort to melee attacks.  It's a lot less interesting to watch you beat on a dog with a baseball bat.

I still think it's awesome, I managed to get a guy's head to go straight-up about 30 feet before it plopped down next to me.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #378 on: 29 Oct 2008, 18:46 »

You can adjust VATS color (PC) via the options > video menu. I chose white.

On my third attempt on a character, I remembered to check the security room before leaving the Vault: there's about 400 rounds of 10mm and some armor which is worth some caps. I got a free house, and the robo-butler there can produce pure water: great for helping out the bum on the outskirts of Megaton.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #379 on: 30 Oct 2008, 10:17 »

so last night i was exploring the Tepid Sewers looking for mole-rats when i came upon an exit that wasn't how i got in. so naturally i went outside to see where it led. i ended up right in the middle of a pretty urban area but there wasn't much going on that i could tell. that is, until i walked into the nearest ruined building to suddenly find myself staring down four super-mutants and a centaur.
i definitely would have been mutant food if i hadn't just found a combat shotgun, a bunch of frag grenades, and some stimpacks minutes before in the sewer.

also, is anyone else addicted to any drugs yet? i'm addicted to Mentats because i keep using them so i can pick locks and hack computers and shit.

i love this game.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #380 on: 30 Oct 2008, 10:41 »

So I played a whole lot last night.  Did a bunch of Megaton quests, disarmed the bomb (which was really easy, all I had to do was take a Mentat and suddenly I knew all about pre-war nuclear munitions  :-D ), blasted my way through the S-Mart (that was really fun), and am already carrying around an assault rifle, a dozen frag grenades, a laser pistol and my trusty unbreakable pistol you get at the start of the game.  I have a feeling it is entirely possible to win the game using just that pistol alone.

I still get lost in Megaton.  Half the time I'm like "Where the FUCK is my house?", I get lost, reload my last auto-save and it ends up being right next to me.  Christ on a pogo stick.

Apparently they just decided that every single character gets the "Bloody Mess" perk because I have seen more heads flying off in slow-motion than the 17th century.

Speaking of VATS, I'm really glad I figured out that you can queue up multiple shots.  It makes the bullet-time combat less annoying and more cool, especially when you shoot some guy twice, he starts to run away backwards, and you land the killing blow causing his body to fly back.

The reviews that say "There's no reason to not shoot someone in the head" seem a bit off.  I have gotten the message "Raider head crippled!" plenty of times, and apparently having a crippled head has absolutely no bearing on your ability to, you know, move and shoot.  What the hell, Beth?  Also, when I was trying to save the Sheriff from Burke, before I did it the easy way, I tried shooting him in the arm so he couldn't use his gun.  I crippled his arm.  He still shot the sheriff.  Again, poor game design, shame.

And while the game is, no doubt, drop dead gorgeous, why in fuck are they still using the same exact engine that makes first-person feel like you're playing a low-budget Quake 2 clone and your third-person character model look and move like EverQuest?  Seriously?

In fact, I think the game would be improved to near perfection if they actually dropped VATS and used a GTA4-type engine - realistic movement, targeted combat, taking cover in a meaningful way, etc.  Playing the game on a console without VATS is just annoying, unless, as has been pointed out, your doing melee, but even melee LOOKS cooler with VATS.  Seriously, beat up a dog with a baseball bat using VATS and tell me it isn't bad-ass.

The characters and voice-acting are actually fine so far, but I'm assuming I'm not very far.  The only quests I have now are "Find the GNC (or whatever, in DC)" which seems like something I should hold off on doing, and "Deliver a message to my family", which I sort of did but can't totally complete because there are a couple of Super Mutants hanging around somewhere I need to get to and I'm real low on healing items.

Oh wait, I also have a quest to get radiation poisoning, but that seems like it'll take forever, or just patiently standing in the radiated water in Megaton for an hour or two.

I am kind of disappointed that the game is so PG-13.  Oh, sure, there are token cuss words and body parts flying and drug use, but so far the game is really low on sex and rock and roll.  Yeah, I know you can "rent" that hooker but all she does is sleep in your bed.

Oh, but the radio stations are an awesome touch.  They really got the feel of Fallout down, even down to the "OH HAY I JUST SPENT MY WHOLE LIFE IN A VAULT AND YET I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT".

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #381 on: 30 Oct 2008, 10:47 »

So, my comp meets the minimum specs just about exactly. I've got a 2.8 ghz p4, a gig of memory, and a ATI x850 card. I ran oblivion fine, and haven't had many problems running most games these days except for the pixel shader 3.0 ones like BioShock that simply won't run with my graphics card. Can anyone tell me how shitty this'll look for me? Will it be playable at the very least?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #382 on: 30 Oct 2008, 10:51 »

Quote from: Jackie
Oh wait, I also have a quest to get radiation poisoning, but that seems like it'll take forever, or just patiently standing in the radiated water in Megaton for an hour or two.

for the radiation quest just go to the bomb in the center of town, stand in the puddle, and drink the water out of the puddle over and over again. do it all the way up to 600 rads (or whatever the optional one is) because you don't die till 1000 and she heals you as soon as you talk to her, so there's no reason NOT to go balls deep with it.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #383 on: 30 Oct 2008, 11:16 »

Plus there's an awesome benefit to getting the 600 rads.

Trust me when I say that the pistol stops being your best friend as soon as you head out to Minefield, or anywhere near it. Boosting your Small Guns skill just simply isn't enough to deal with raiders shooting at you from half a klick away, and you'll have to do a lot of weapon juggling to preserve ammo and range. I've found that it's extremely important to have at least one of most types of small arms, and to ditch the rest as soon as you can. For a while, I was carrying five different pistols, two different ARs, and two different shotguns.

I have absolutely no problem moving around Megaton, oddly enough. I'll sometimes walk up to the Clinic instead of Craterside Supplies, but it's not bad.

I've seen a bunch of heads fly off, too, but critical hits are a lot more common than they were in the originals, too. For what it's worth, Bloody Mess makes things a LOT more bloody. 5% more damage, too!

The crippling system doesn't work as wonderfully as I would have thought, and only by getting limbs crippled myself have I realized how to use it effectively. Targeting legs on any target will make them limp, but it doesn't effect weapon accuracy: don't bother on armed targets. Targeting arms REDUCES accuracy, but doesn't stop them from using the gun. If you wanted to take Burke out simply, shoot his pistol, not his arm. Crippling torso doesn't seem to do much besides a momentary flinch.

I was absolutely surprised by how good Fallout looks. It's head-and-shoulders above Oblivion, which I wasn't expecting. The third-person model has been greatly improved, you can't argue that. The strafing-while-moving still looks lame, but the model is (checked) actually a virtual object instead of a hologram as in Oblivion.

I think the voice acting is fantastic. Liam Neelson is great, and I've heard only one repeated voice (on two different Megaton Settlers).

You're going to hate the FUCK out of the Families quest. Take my advise, head to the metro station first, because the other two locations are swarmed with radscorpions that take forever to kill and don't drop any good loot. The Families quest turned out sort of like the Brotherhood quests in Oblivion, and it's nice to see that Bethesda took that depth into the Fallout universe.

I love the swearing. Maybe I'm just not fantasy-nerd enough to get into Oblivion, but the way some people greet me makes me feel a lot more involved and immersed in the game. "So I'm a junkie, so fucking what" is a much more relevant line, to me, than something like "I'm an old fisher who needs you to catch gills".

OH, and to thehollow: you can't play this game. You might physically be able to get it to run, but it will play at such an abysmal framerate that you'll hate it within minutes. Trust me on this.

Speaking of performance, I've been getting CTDs out the ass. I've crashed on entering locations, while saving, while opening Pipboy or the main menu, and randomly. It's pathetic.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #384 on: 30 Oct 2008, 11:31 »

Funniest moment so far: When I killed Burke (and his head flew off, natch) his body landed right next to the chair he was sitting in.  Mere seconds later, a random Megaton citizen walked up and sat down next to his headless corpse.

And yes, fuck radscorpions.  There has to be an easy way to kill them.  I'm going to try using the laser on them, maybe it ignores their armor.

Or I'll just go buy the rocket launcher schematics.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #385 on: 30 Oct 2008, 11:58 »

Grenades and mines are pretty effective.  Like I said, I found quite a few in the SuperDuperMart.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #386 on: 30 Oct 2008, 12:05 »

Fuck.  I think I'm going to restart because of the stupid "you should hang on to every random piece of crap you find because 20 hours later you'll need it to build a railgun" game design.  See, the first games I played where you could pick up EVERYTHING were Ultima 6 and, much later, Divine Divinity and in those games all that useless shit really was just useless shit.

Maybe this time I'll blow Megaton up and be an evil bitch to everyone.  I ALWAYS play "generally good but self-serving" in games where you have a choice, and NEVER get around to playing the "evil" path, so fuck it, time to get Mad Max on some asses.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #387 on: 30 Oct 2008, 13:03 »

in response to Melodic's post below this one:

if you do the Minefield quest for the chick from the general store in Megaton, she gives you the schematic for the bottle cap mine. but honestly, i've found so many land mines just wandering around that i shouldn't have to make any of my own for quite some time now. and that's after having sold off like 30 or so of the damned, heavy things.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2008, 14:38 by Scandanavian War Machine »

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #388 on: 30 Oct 2008, 14:17 »

Junk is scattered everywhere. I know there are schematics out there for lunchbox landmines, and I also know that I should keep these 5 or 10 sensor modules so that I can build these mines later in the game. But fuck it, if I need to drop some items, those modules are heavy.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #389 on: 30 Oct 2008, 18:07 »

Radscorpions are a bit of a bitch, but FUCK.  FUCKING.  MIRELURKS.  YOU HORSESHOE-CRAB DESCENDED SONSABITCHES.

Ahem.

Also, if you're still wondering about how to kill Burke, nobody in the bar really cares if he's iced.  I heard somebody say "Thank god" when I capped him after I disarmed the bomb.  That's a nice fedora and suit for me!

And man, the Family stuff was cool.  I managed to get Ian out, no bloodshed, and Vance gave me the Shsihkebab specs!  I HAVE A FLAMING SWORD.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #390 on: 30 Oct 2008, 20:07 »

Not going to read this thread.

"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #391 on: 30 Oct 2008, 21:59 »

That's a nice fedora and suit for me!

I restarted playing a female and when you equip it, it changes to a jacket and skirt with high heels... even if it didn't give a bonus to Speech I'd wear it around town constantly.

OK, checklist of what I have done:

- Disarmed bomb, killed Burke
- Did all of Chapter 1 of the Wasteland Survival Guide (I lied about going to the Minefield)
- Got rid of the Fire Ants
- Various killing around Megaton
- Various minor quests (pipes, drug problem, etc.)

What it seems I have open right now are the GNC station, delivering the letter to start the Family quest, and going to Rivet Town to find a home for the kid.

Here's the problem.  I am really low on ammo.  I used a TON of it dealing with the Fire Ants and I can't find anyone to sell me any more.  I have lots of Energy Cells but the laser pistol basically sucks.  I have almost no ammo for the Chinese Assault Rifle and very little for the 10mm Submachine Gun, and a little bit for the Combat Shotgun.  Got 10 frag grenades and 10 mines.

Where should I go that will either A) give me access to lots more ammo or B) not require me to use up tons of it?

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #392 on: 30 Oct 2008, 23:52 »

If you're not low on funds, wait a few days outside of Megaton for a caravan to come by. They're usually packing ammo...

If that fails, work on the Family. If you don't spend too much time in the wastes, and are moderately gifted in speech, you can find a ton of ammo in the subway system. Ignore both of the "possible locations" and head for the metro, since the other two WILL burn your ammo to hell.

I'm in the same boat, actually. I swapped off my SMG as soon as I ran down the 10mm rounds, and now I'm wandering towards Rivet City so I can rearm.

Nodaisho

« Reply #393 on: 31 Oct 2008, 00:24 »

Dang. I just realized I will be at an Okkervil River gig when Fallout 3 is opened for download.

I am not sure if this is really bad or really awesome.
Can you set it to auto-download as soon as it is ready? Then you either come back and play, or come back and pass out and then play. Either way, you win.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #394 on: 31 Oct 2008, 01:04 »

Let me tell you about my trip to Minefield.

A small house lies on its outskirts. Ducking inside, I found the place abandoned and empty. I moved methodically through the rooms and stripped them of valuables and, girding myself, ventured out of the house towards the centre of town. About ten steps in I hit a mine. Crippled, I moved towards the shelter of a nearby ruin to heal myself. While I did this, someone fired a portable nuclear bomb about twenty yards to my right. Stunned, I walked right onto another landmine and exploded.

i kept looking for enemies and i think that they are seriously just ghosts

heavily armed ghosts

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #395 on: 31 Oct 2008, 04:36 »

I just finished the main quest. Spoilers ahoy

liberty prime is a pretty cool guy. eh shoots chinese communists and doesn't afraid of anything.

Double spoiler: (This one's important.) The quest to get the G.E.C.K. is the 'point of no return' as far as the main quest goes. If you're actively pursuing the main quest like i did and for the most part ignored everything else, I would really recommend stopping before this portion and go out and do some of the side quests, as many as you can or want to before you beat the game, because after the end you can't go back to the world.

The build I went with was PE/AG with some luck with small guns, big guns and speech as tag skills. Using vats, I had more than enough ammo for any gun. Using the crappy guns you find up on poop fights save ammo immensely. My early perks went into boosting luck/agi for more crits and AP for VATS headshots. You don't get Sniper until level 12 but it's really nice if you combine with finesse and then later, better criticals.

now if you'll excuse me, I'm rolling a stealth character next.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2008, 04:55 by Trollstormur »
also israel

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #396 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:45 »

Let me tell you about my trip to Minefield.

A small house lies on its outskirts. Ducking inside, I found the place abandoned and empty. I moved methodically through the rooms and stripped them of valuables and, girding myself, ventured out of the house towards the centre of town. About ten steps in I hit a mine. Crippled, I moved towards the shelter of a nearby ruin to heal myself. While I did this, someone fired a portable nuclear bomb about twenty yards to my right. Stunned, I walked right onto another landmine and exploded.

i kept looking for enemies and i think that they are seriously just ghosts

heavily armed ghosts

Make sure you stealth thru Minefield, and actually have enough in explosives to disarm and grab the mines.  If a mine near a car goes off, the car's reactor/engine touches off, causing the small nuclear explosion.

And watch the big ruined concrete building near the center.  Some crazy named fuck with a rifle is there.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #397 on: 31 Oct 2008, 09:58 »

Using vats, I had more than enough ammo for any gun.

That's what I thought, until I started running into fucking millions of Fire Ants.

I guess maybe I could have/should have held out on that quest (I was only in the area to raid the S-Mart and the little kid ran up to me and triggered the quest) and I have a horrible tendency to be "realistic" in RPGs so I refused to fast-travel back to Megaton, get more ammo, then fast-travel back, because I kept thinking "that poor kid will be in that port-a-potty for DAYS".  So I just soldiered on, unaware that the entirety of the Fire Ant quest would require SO MUCH GOD DAMN BUG SPRAY.

Are there any ramifications to not killing the Queen, or anything good you get for doing so?  I checked her health from around the corner and there was no way I could take her out without using all my grenades/mines.

Fuck, I knew I should have bought that cheap-ass missile launcher or whatever it is that Moira has (not the Rock-It plans, the other thing).  Are mini-nukes conisidered ammo for that?

Also, I'm really glad I started over because I missed a metric fuckton of shit in the Vault, including the first Bobblehead and all that ammo.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #398 on: 31 Oct 2008, 10:11 »

the missile launcher fires missiles and missiles only (works wonders on Super Mutants, by the way).
i think the Rock-it Launcher can fire mini-nukes but i don't know for sure since i can never afford the damn blueprints for the thing.

edit:
man, i hate it when it when i go out of my way to do something for someone and the only reward is good karma. Or, conversely, when i do something that seems innocent enough ends up giving negative karma; like when i visited Rivet City for the first time last night, one of the first people i talked to happened to be addicted to psycho. naturally, i tried to talk him out of it and be the "good guy" but he wouldn't bite so i gave him a Psycho thinking he might repay me somehow or another but then he dropped dead on the spot and i lost karma. oh well, he had some decent stuff on him so it wasn't a total loss.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2008, 10:47 by Scandanavian War Machine »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #399 on: 31 Oct 2008, 11:13 »

I'm not worried about that in this game because apparently having your Karma be too high or too low causes random badguys to spawn out of nowhere and attack you.  So I do the occasional "morally grey" thing to try and stay in-character and not a total wide-eyed Heroine.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up