THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 01:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 374232 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #500 on: 14 Nov 2008, 14:43 »

lower-right? psshhh pansy.

just wait till you get to the upper-left. that's where the real action's at.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #501 on: 14 Nov 2008, 17:02 »

A CHALLENGE!
Find a more useless perk than Fast Learner.

The one that gives you +5 to Speech and Barter.  All the other "+5 to two skills" perks are useful because they give +5 to skills that aren't governed by the same stat, but Speech and Barter are both based on Charisma so there's no point at all to not just take Intense Training for Charisma.

There are so many "meh" perks I think I've taken four Intense Trainings and two Daddy's Girl's already.  That's one of the only complaints I have, perks are either insanely useful (Finesse, etc.) or nearly useless (Fast Learner, Child at Heart, Animal Friend, etc.)
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #502 on: 14 Nov 2008, 17:41 »

Well, I finished the game as a goody two shoes who rocks small guns and energy weapons.  I am now going to start over and make it a point to be a monumental asshole. 

I've also going to try to max out every single skill.  I've read somewhere that there are 25 skill books for each skill, and with the comprehension perk that means that it is possible to get 50 skill points for every skill from books alone.  Add in +10 from bobbleheads and you can get 60 points.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #503 on: 14 Nov 2008, 21:07 »

A CHALLENGE!
Find a more useless perk than Fast Learner.

The one that gives you +5 to Speech and Barter.  All the other "+5 to two skills" perks are useful because they give +5 to skills that aren't governed by the same stat, but Speech and Barter are both based on Charisma so there's no point at all to not just take Intense Training for Charisma.

There are so many "meh" perks I think I've taken four Intense Trainings and two Daddy's Girl's already.  That's one of the only complaints I have, perks are either insanely useful (Finesse, etc.) or nearly useless (Fast Learner, Child at Heart, Animal Friend, etc.)

Child at heart helps a whole hell of a lot in Little Lamplight, trust me.
Like, getting a unique named laser rifle for free (Otherwise about 500 caps), and making it much easier to get discounts and quests.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #504 on: 14 Nov 2008, 21:10 »

to be fair, i got that Laser Rifle without Child At Heart just by having a high enough speech skill.

my energy weapons skill is so pathetic though that i just sold it because it's worth a good bit of money.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #505 on: 15 Nov 2008, 11:13 »

Is it better than the plasma rifle you get from the android?

Are there that many quests in the kiddytown?  I haven't been there yet.  I just now finished the Wasteland Survival Guide and am on my way to Vault 112.

I have enough caps to buy Charon, but I'm waiting to get Star Cross Paladin and giving her a flaming sword.  v :-) v

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #506 on: 15 Nov 2008, 13:35 »

If I remember correctly, damage wise it is not.  IMO, the edge it has over the unique plasma rifle is the availability of laser rifles for repairs.
Do or die, guys!

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #507 on: 15 Nov 2008, 21:21 »

HOLY SHIT SPOILERS OMGOMGOMG

Well, that ending was kind of disappointing.

"Alright, go in there, punch that in, and die of radiation."
Fawkes : "Hurp durp im not doin it"

Not to mention, when I got in there?  9 rads per second.  Oh my god, the horrifying ravages of radiation.

CursedMortivore

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Creepy lurker.
« Reply #508 on: 15 Nov 2008, 21:42 »

Agreed on weaksauce ending. Hopefully they'll just trim that part out if/when they deliver more game content.
"Fight fire with fire? You should fight everything with fire!" - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #509 on: 16 Nov 2008, 02:03 »

I though the same thing, I sat there thinking "WTF I've survived much stronger radiation than this."
Do or die, guys!

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #510 on: 16 Nov 2008, 10:58 »

Also, Animal Friend is an awesome perk. Because you know what sucks? Wasting ammo on Mole Rats.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #511 on: 16 Nov 2008, 11:21 »

I actually haven't run into any Mole Rats since that quest...
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #512 on: 16 Nov 2008, 11:24 »

I thought Animal Friend was awesome. It would be more awesome if it applied to all critters, but it's still a totally worthwhile perk.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #513 on: 16 Nov 2008, 11:37 »

Eh, ever since I got My First Infirmary I never get even close to the first level of Rad Sickness.

Also, why use ammo on critters?  Just whip out the old Shishkebob (or a lead pipe for that matter, but flaming swords are made of win).

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #514 on: 16 Nov 2008, 15:37 »

The PC version has issues with memory leaks and a nasty refusal to cooperate with codecs. Beyond that, it runs fairly well.
Really? Cuz I played a couple of days without too many problems, besides abusing my prefontal cortex with harmful dosages of adrenaline. On the other hand, I do recall certain areas being really choppy after long play-times, like abandoned railway tunnels, or looking out at the broken portion of Rivet City's aircraft carrier.

My first character was sucko and died. Frequently. It's hard when you spec for energy weapons because they aren't easy to stock with ammo in the beginning (I didn't know about RobCo yet, note to self).

My second has 9's in each attribute except for Str (1), Luck (1), and End (2). I was also trying to max every skill using skillbooks, but it's hard to keep track of which ones I've found. There is a pretty accurate list of skillbook locations on Wikicheat's FO3 page (don't bother with the Flash map, it's not totally accurate yet). But for the time it takes to find the buggers, you'll be waiting forever to get every skill to 100 if you try to do them all at the same time. "Hard" (75 req) locks, computers, etc. will be out of reach for a while.

One solution for bookhunters is to max out Sneak and Agility right from the start, travel the wastes at night to avoid battles, and pickpocket keys. It will still be terrifically time consuming (that's a lot of traveling to do!) but it would work.

I would prefer to create a more focused character that was super-good at one combat skill and two or three non-combat skills. Then you can actually play the game and get the bonuses when they come.

I hate hacking and the fact that you have to be a certain skill level to even attempt lockpicking

Trust me on this one, that is a saving grace.

One of Oblivion's biggest problems is that many skills were absolutely broken, worthless, and dumb, especially lockpicking and speech. Why? Because your skill level in either of them was completely irrelevant; all you needed was to play a couple easy and boring mini-games, and your level -2 peon could persuade anybody and unlock the hardest locks.

In Fallout 3, skill levels actually mean something. Yay.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2008, 15:54 by notselfcreated »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #515 on: 16 Nov 2008, 20:26 »

Yeah, given that you can just save and then re-load if you use too many Bobby Pins or get locked out of a computer, it only makes sense that you have to be at a certain level to even attempt them.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #516 on: 16 Nov 2008, 20:42 »

I don't even break that many pins, even on Very Hard locks.  They're easy enough to come by, as well.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #517 on: 16 Nov 2008, 21:09 »

I don't think I've dropped below 20 pins so far.  Lockpicking is easy, which is good because I hate needing a high skill level AND having to play a minigame to unlock something.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #518 on: 16 Nov 2008, 21:38 »

Like hacking? : )

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #519 on: 16 Nov 2008, 22:10 »

Correction, an unfun minigame.  Hacking is sort of fun.

EDIT: THANK GOD A PAGEBREAK SO I DON'T HAVE TO SCROLL PAST ENDGAME SPOILERS

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #520 on: 16 Nov 2008, 22:14 »

Man, hacking is so not fun. There is a reason only the socially-inept do it.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #521 on: 16 Nov 2008, 23:04 »

I dunno, it's sort of satisfying to be able to figure out what the password is (Or get it on the first try).

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #522 on: 17 Nov 2008, 05:38 »

Hacking is a lot of fun once you get it down pat. My biggest issue was figuring out that 3/9 meant that 3 characters were not only correct, but in their correct place. After you get that, it's easy. Plus, the 4 tries thing is a bit misleading. You'd really get 7 tries with "bracket tricks" (3 tries to get to 1 remaining, plus the replenishment to get back up to max). How many words are there to guess from? I'd have to check, but I believe you could just go word-by-word guessing and not get locked.

If nothing else, it's worth it for the experience you get. 5 for killing a mole rat, but 30 for opening an average lock? Nice.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #523 on: 17 Nov 2008, 08:19 »

Actually, I believe the number of replenishments and "dud removed" bonuses in hacking are random.

Yeah, I don't like hacking all that very much. Saved my butt in RobCo though.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #524 on: 17 Nov 2008, 08:47 »

I've gotten 6 dud removers and two replenishers once.  And I still messed it up because I accidentally got the replenishers before making any guesses.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #525 on: 18 Nov 2008, 08:39 »

Funny how things came to a halt in this thread. You know, you kind of notice that about Bethesda games: they arrive on the scene with a lot of anticipation, then a big bang, and almost as quickly they retreat into the sanctuaries of the smaller group of dedicated enthusiasts.

Not really a criticism, I still love the game, but just noticing.

Anyway, a few more random observations:

• It's nothing to grow a single skill to 100 right from the start. I just did this with energy weapons, and wow is it rewarding. Narrow, focused characters FTW. I can't pick even the easiest locks, but there you have it. Limiting choices -> replay vaule.
  • Question: if you have a 100 in a skill, does that prevent you from picking up the corresponding Bobblehead?
  • I'm admittedly still relatively early in the game, but I'm finding that most drugs are unnecessary. I sell everything except for Stimpacks and Rad-Away. I tackled a small horde of super-mutants and mercs with an assault rifle and a few bottlecap mines without any buffers.
  • *Minor spoilers* Regarding Burke and the sheriff, I found an interesting glitch. I wasn't strong enough to kill Burke before he tries to shoot the sheriff, so I tried shooting his gun instead. It "worked" (he was unable to get a shot at the sheriff) and the sheriff left the bar alive. But when I walked out of the bar, the game treated the sheriff as dead. So you really have to kill Burke.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2008, 19:21 by notselfcreated »

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #526 on: 18 Nov 2008, 08:45 »

I personally try to get my primaries to 75 and stop. Level increases and bobble heads will take care of the rest. To answer your question on bobble heads, once a skill is maxed, you can still pick up the bobble head, but that would be only in a Pokemon-esque "Gotta catch 'em all" thing. It won't increase your stats. Same thing with skill books. Once your small guns skill is 100, you might as well sell the issues of Guns 'n Ammo you'd find.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #527 on: 18 Nov 2008, 15:02 »

What the hell.  Simms spawned on a railing in Megaton, and fell.  I had already disarmed the bomb, but still.  What the christ.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #528 on: 18 Nov 2008, 15:20 »

hahaha what.

that sucks.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #529 on: 18 Nov 2008, 15:42 »

I think that's happened to me a few times. Not with Simms, but with Walter, the guy who you sell scrap metal to. He just up and disappears.

I also ran into a few more bugs, the first one presented itself when I was headed north on the map to do the Agatha's Song quest. I found some Brotherhood Outcasts fighting a deathclaw. All of a sudden, the Deathclaw rockets into the air, and flies upward into the sky, until it disappeared. The soldiers proceeded to look and fire upwards. Then the soldiers started getting sucked into the sky as well, and one of them started violently twirling and gyrating up and down, like a doll being swung around by a child.

Presuming the danger had passed, I moved forward. The deathclaw then materialized behind me and killed me.

Also I've been getting a lot of weird texture loading errors.

All of these heralded an imminent CTD.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #530 on: 18 Nov 2008, 15:45 »

yeah, i've had Walter disapper for days at time (game time) for me.

i thought maybe died for some reason but he'd always show up again eventually.

ackblom12

« Reply #531 on: 18 Nov 2008, 16:33 »

I've found Walter swimming face down in the A-Bomb pond before. I even had a couple dozen pieces of scrap for the bastard to buy.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #532 on: 18 Nov 2008, 19:17 »

I did the pipe fixing quest accidentally before talking to him and he never appeared as a result.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #533 on: 18 Nov 2008, 19:20 »

That happens pretty frequently. NPCs are spawning high above the ground. Makes sense that this happens in Megaton because the AI has to randomnly spawn NPCs at all different altitudes. Kind of reminds you of that wizard in Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind that falls from the sky and dies when you find him.

PC users can "Revive [NPC number]" in the console to bring back dead characters. I'll never understand why the console isn't accessible to XBox/PS3 players. I mean, yeah, it would give you easy Live! points, but you get those in the PC version, too. Discrimination!
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2008, 19:22 by notselfcreated »

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #534 on: 18 Nov 2008, 19:25 »

You could still prevent people from getting Achievements if you wanted to.  Two Worlds, an Oblivion clone based on the same engine had a console in the console versions and it disallowed achievements when you had cheats activated.  To my knowledge, that still hasn't been circumvented yet.  Or maybe that's just cause Two Worlds was a pretty shitty game.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #535 on: 18 Nov 2008, 20:28 »

Hell, you can FORCE Achievements in the PC version. There is quite literally a console command "awardAchievement x".

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #536 on: 21 Nov 2008, 07:14 »

I just want to say that IMHO the Dart Gun is the best constructed weapon. The difference in fighting Yao Guai and Deathclaws with the Dart Gun versus without is night and day. Plus, a lot of Raiders the poison can DoT with 1 dart.

It's awesome.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #537 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:27 »

what?!

what about the Nuka-grenade? that thing fucking slays. it will literally kill any enemy in the entire game in one shot (as long as you actually hit them) and that's with an explosives skill less than 40.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #538 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:41 »

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my Rock-It Launcher and the Wasteland Forced Literacy Program (Books to head).

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #539 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:58 »

One of my friends managed to slay a field of Brahmin using cigarette cartons.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #540 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:57 »

...the Rock-It Launcher fires BOOKS?

And I was wondering why I kept picking up all those darts.  Where the hell are the schematics for the dart gun?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #541 on: 21 Nov 2008, 12:14 »

Tenpenny Tower.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #542 on: 21 Nov 2008, 14:01 »

did anybody else let the ghouls into Tenpenny Tower?

hell, i was playing as a good character and even i couldn't resist watching those snobby fuckers get ripped apart.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #543 on: 21 Nov 2008, 14:36 »

First time I did that quest, I talked the residents into letting the ghouls move in.  Now, I kill him every time whether I'm good or evil.
Do or die, guys!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #544 on: 21 Nov 2008, 15:28 »

nah, the Tenpenny Tower merchant has the dart gun schematic, at least, she did when I played, and I'm pretty sure schematics aren't randomly placed.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #545 on: 21 Nov 2008, 15:38 »

man, the only schematic i don't have is the Deathclaw Gauntlet.

anyone know where/how to get it?

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #546 on: 21 Nov 2008, 16:21 »

Is this game still playable if you pretty much try to avoid the main quest and big towns? I was having great fun wandering around, until I decided I probably should go into Megaton. Within ten minute, I wanted to nuke the damn place for the awful voice acting alone, let alone the frustrating AI problems and bugs.

So essentially what I want to know is can you play it like Oblivion and stay the fuck away from the main town(s?) for the whole game, pretty much?
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #547 on: 21 Nov 2008, 17:12 »

nah, the Tenpenny Tower merchant has the dart gun schematic, at least, she did when I played, and I'm pretty sure schematics aren't randomly placed.

I know that you can find the deathclaw gauntlet schematic in a random encounter where some wanderers fight a deathclaw.
Do or die, guys!

AcesWalkin

« Reply #548 on: 21 Nov 2008, 18:03 »

I can't find an answer to this anywhere:

If I become Evil to access Paradise Falls and buy Clover, will she leave if I revert to Good?

Nope, clovers's a good kid and sticks by you good or evil. Ya might wanna deck her out in power armor and helmet if you take her out to the wastelands. Otherwise she dies. I can't get her to use different weapons, like an assault rifle etc.

An easy way to get evil is in 10cent towers, crack the robo bartenders console, once done, just keep entering it as each is a loss of karma. 100 times or so and you'll be a crime lord. You'll get in to paradise on Karma and Eulogy will let her go for half (Karma) or 500 caps instead of 1,000. Then pop over to megaton and donate to the church of the Atom a bunch of 10's, four 50's, and a couple 100's till you're back to good. When you hit Very Good people will bring you stuff every day.  If megaton is *gone* Rivet City has a church too. Course if it's gone you may already be evil  :evil:.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #549 on: 21 Nov 2008, 18:23 »

Is this game still playable if you pretty much try to avoid the main quest and big towns? I was having great fun wandering around, until I decided I probably should go into Megaton. Within ten minute, I wanted to nuke the damn place for the awful voice acting alone, let alone the frustrating AI problems and bugs.

So essentially what I want to know is can you play it like Oblivion and stay the fuck away from the main town(s?) for the whole game, pretty much?

Probably, but the Scrounger perk would then be kind of necessary.  Gives you more ammo/bottlecaps on pickup, I don't know if that also affects stimpaks.  That's the main reason I go into shops, really, is stimpaks.  I find most of the stuff I use.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18   Go Up