THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 18:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: what book would you like to see as a movie  (Read 17969 times)

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
Re: what book would you like to see as a movie
« Reply #50 on: 22 Sep 2007, 06:36 »

I'm sorry to say this (oh so deeply sorry), but there is no way on earth that this movie will be anything other than stark travesty. Just watching this trailer was like a small knife in the back of my childhood. Nothing...mortal, but still extremely unpleasant to think about.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #51 on: 25 Sep 2007, 07:52 »

I never read that book. And I'll probably never see that movie. I think I am coming out on top of this situation.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #52 on: 27 Sep 2007, 14:03 »

You really should read Susan Cooper, it is a short, sweet, and excellently written fantasy trilogy, that i like better than Mr. King Under the Mountain (teehee) Lord of the Rings.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #53 on: 27 Sep 2007, 14:27 »

Speaking of Hyperion....

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/movies.htm

man, i hope that actually works out. you have made my day, sir.

Yeah, but now I'm going to be anxious about what they're going to do to the books.  What's cool is that they can do Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion in a single movie or as sequels, and then follow up with Endymion and Fall of Endymion if it's successful.  My concern is that my favorite parts, like the philosophising about the Teilhard heresy and the frequent citing of Keats' poetry are so anti-cinematic that they will almost certainly be cut.  On the other hand . . . how I long to see Ummon, up close and personal, reciting koans.  On a big screen, that could be pretty amazing.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #54 on: 27 Sep 2007, 20:18 »

You really should read Susan Cooper, it is a short, sweet, and excellently written fantasy trilogy, that i like better than Mr. King Under the Mountain (teehee) Lord of the Rings.

Bit of a correction - not a trilogy, but five books. Usually labeled as The Dark Is Rising sequence. All worth reading.
Over Sea, Under Stone - written first, but sequentially interchangeable with
The Dark is Rising
then
Greenwitch
then
The Grey King
then
Silver on the Tree

star-sailor

« Reply #55 on: 27 Sep 2007, 21:39 »

Seeing Norwegian Wood would be interesting, I think.
And it's kinda childish of a book, but I think City of Ember would translate great to film.
Bahah, wow, is it sad I take great enjoyment in reading kid books?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #56 on: 28 Sep 2007, 10:13 »

sorry, I always forget about the first and the last ones for some reason. To be fair its been like 8 years since I last read any of em.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

star-sailor

« Reply #57 on: 29 Sep 2007, 14:33 »

...I think City of Ember would translate great to film.

Holy crap, I said that kinda at random, but apparently they're going to turn it into a movie!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_ember

StMonkey

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • *Comment of negligible importance*
« Reply #58 on: 04 Oct 2007, 08:15 »

Ever since I read Vonnegut's Galapagos, I thought it would make a great movie, they would just have to find a tasteful way to have all the flashbacks and forwards.
Carpe Gluteum
The bottom line is, if anyone is going to start playing pranks by stuffing large quantities of food in their mouths, be wary.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #59 on: 04 Oct 2007, 12:16 »

...My concern is that my favorite parts, like the philosophising about the Teilhard heresy and the frequent citing of Keats' poetry are so anti-cinematic that they will almost certainly be cut...

Yeah, I never really thought about how un-cinematic alot of those books are. Hopefully they just happen to find some geniuses who have read the books to write and direct. I am keeping my hopes up even though, statistically, I will most likely be let down.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

leave for no raisin

« Reply #60 on: 04 Oct 2007, 14:07 »

I think The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky could possibly be a good low-budget movie.  It would really depend on who would direct it and who would write the screenplay.  It has the potential to turn out terribly, terribly cheesy if not handled with care.

I you haven't read it and you're over the age of 16 or 17, you probably won't like it.  It's an excellent young adult novel, though.

I also agree with everyone who suggested more Neil Gaiman film adaptations.  I <3 Neil.

Simulacra

« Reply #61 on: 04 Oct 2007, 23:13 »

I could see Gibson's Count Zero being put on screen

GlassHousesInc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #62 on: 06 Oct 2007, 13:27 »

The most? They already have, and I wasn't really satisfied with Red Dragon and I laughed too much when I finally got hold of Manhunter.

In a tie for 2nd place is either Good Omens or Kyle Mills' Burn Factor.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up