THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: home made shirts/clothes  (Read 58787 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: home made shirts/clothes
« Reply #50 on: 10 Feb 2008, 15:01 »

Photo emulsion is pretty easy. Print off on a transparency or do a cut out of black paper and in a dark room: coat your screen, let it dry, get a light bulb that emits "natural light", let it expose for such and such time, and then rinse with water. When you're done, you put photo emulsion remover on it, let it sit for 15 min, then rinse it off with water. I haven't done ruby-lith, but it's definitely easier than using red blockout or blue drawing fluid. Stencils from contact paper are less complicated, but they take about as much time and they don't get very detailed.

And all the silk screening inks I have used have been acrylic. I know you can get oil based, but I think that's a bit silly, due to all the solvents you'd need to clean out your screens.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

screamingfool

• Emoticontraindication
  • the terrible parable
« Reply #51 on: 10 Feb 2008, 21:12 »

yeah, that much i know about photo emulsion, i mostly dont want to waste time and materials getting the distance and timing of the uv light just right. which is totally lame i know.

as far as using rubylith, i didn't follow you (linds) about the blockout thing, i've never messed with that. All i do is attach the image i want to cut out on the acetate side of rubylith and cut out the stencil with a slightly dulled xacto knife (so you don't have to worry about cutting through the acetate). Then put the image rubylith side up on a bed of newspaper, put the screen silk side down on top and apply a light coat of lacquer thinner to a roughly 3 in square corner of the stencil. Rub the now melty stencil into the screen a little with a hard edged squeegee that has a layer of cloth over it. Do this from one corner of the stencil to the other and let it firm back up for 20 minutes, then peel off the acetate slowly from one corner making sure the stencil is affixed, if it comes off put it back and give it a little love with the thinner.

The downsides of this method are rubylith doesn't come out of the screen as easily as other materials (only a downside if you make small runs of things you don't plan to print again) and you gotta cut it out by hand so you're limited to making things you have the patience and skill for (i like it this way cause it streamlines designs and gives it a distinctive look).

and i use straight up acrylic paint, not the stuff made for silkscreening cause i find it sets thicker, bolder, lasts longer and most importantly doesn't bleed, the only downside being you have you wash out the screen a lot more often.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #52 on: 10 Feb 2008, 23:12 »

It's Homemade Band T-Shirt O'Clock!

*not actually a Muse fan*

Some white leaked under the stencil or something. I didn't like this so much at first because of that but I've gotten used to it and it looks kinda cool.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #53 on: 11 Feb 2008, 09:22 »

It's a cool effect, actually. Outlines the letters nicely, and doing it intentionally would probably have been ten times harder, and still not come out as good.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #54 on: 11 Feb 2008, 14:33 »

godyouaresocool

tmillet

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jun 2009, 21:19 »

Ok so I have really been wanting to get in to screen printing lately. I looked in to it for a while but I couldn't find out everything that I need so I gave up. So I came to the serious pony because people here are dependable. So, what I am asking is, what do I need to successfully screen print a t-shirt?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #56 on: 23 Jun 2009, 19:35 »

A screen, a squeegee, ink, something to form your image (either a stencil, a photo imulsion, or an image blocked out onto the screen), and either a book or videos to learn how to do it. I know there are demos on youtube and I'm sure you can find a book. And if you buy a kit, it probably comes with instructions.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jun 2009, 23:53 »

My designs not my actual printing job. Stilkl, designing is fun all on its own. Not having to do the actual work is just a bonus.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

N0vA

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Overunderachiever
« Reply #58 on: 30 Dec 2010, 12:41 »

Live again!!!

Screen printed it for fun.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #59 on: 30 Dec 2010, 23:28 »