THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 00:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Madeleine Peyroux  (Read 4721 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Madeleine Peyroux
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 16:39 »

I remember thinking I should check her out after a poster on another forum recommended her album "Half the Perfect World" as the best album of 2006, but it wasn't until today that I actually did so, prompted by a few tunes sent by a friend.

And, I gotta say... it's really, really good stuff. I find the abovementioned album, I dunno, a bit too modern and poppy for my taste, but two others, "Careless Love" and "Dreamland", are among the sweetest albums I've ever come across. I can't decide if it's a jazzy blues or a bluesy jazz, but either combination works excellently for me.

She's got a great voice and style. It feels classic--and she's been compared to Billie Holiday by pretty much everyone out there--but it's pretty unique, and very soothing while also being strong. The tunes are all about her, and so the music is simple and clean and unobtrusive, just the way I like it.

I've been pretty sick of most of my music lately (barring Blackmore's Night, more great stuff), and discovering this was a great relief. I'd recommend it to most people who can stand to listen to jazz and even blues :) well, at least "Dreamland" and "Careless Love". "Half the Perfect World" is also great, but different from the others.

Hope some of you do decide to check her out and are happy with what you find!

-- P
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Re: Madeleine Peyroux
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2007, 18:03 »

Her take on the standard La Vie En Rose is beautiful.  Really good stuff.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2007, 23:36 »

The first time I heard her was a revelation; I actually thought it was some remastered lost Billy Holiday track for a few seconds.  She's also had a very weird personal journey -- check her Wikipedia page.  I seem to remember her disappearing twice after successful albums, once to be found busking in Paris and the second time after running off to be with her manager.

Paroxysmic

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2007, 00:38 »

I've been listening to Madeleine Peyroux for a few years now, and I must say, she is something of a role model for me.  I'm something of a jazz singer myself,so to hear somebody like her come onto the scene and actually be successful in this day and age of rap-dominated music......  Well, it's almost unnaturally satisfying.  I can close my eyes and imagine a smoky jazz club of the '20s and '30s with her.  It's amazing.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2007, 04:11 »

Same here, minus the smoke. But it's not surprising. Jazz isn't gonna die out anytime soon :P good to see jazz fans coming out of the woodwork.

Her take on the standard La Vie En Rose is beautiful.  Really good stuff.

I think it's among my favourite renditions of the song!

Does anyone know of any similar artists? I was told to "try Caitlin Cary, Lucinda Williams, Cowboy Junkies, Sarah Harmer, Patty Larkin. For something tropical, try Kirsty MacColl's Tropical Brainstorm." These aren't all that easy to hunt down, except for Cowboy Junkies and Larkin.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2007, 14:56 »

Yeah, I'm not that familiar with those singers.  If you're looking for modern-day jazz singers with voices and technique comparable to Madeleine Peyroux's who sometimes venture into adult contemporary, check out Erin Bode and Tierney Sutton.  Tierney has a number of albums covering '50s standards like Fly Me to the Moon and seeing her perform live is a definite pleasure.  Or you can just listen to Sarah Vaughn, Nina Simone, Ella and Billie.  They still sound good :)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2007, 18:32 »

who the fuck you ta;lking bout some froggy buitch
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2007, 01:43 »

I <3 drunk Khar.  Khar, we're talking about this cutie:

[img width= height= alt=Hottie]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/ImperialStout/MadeleinePeyroux.jpg[/img]

She's from Athens, Georgia!
Pages: [1]   Go Up