THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Love  (Read 3390 times)

backstagebetty

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mmmmhmm
Big Love
« on: 23 Aug 2007, 01:51 »

I'm wondering if anyone else here watches Big Love. It's in its second season now and I've seen every episode except for this week's which I'm saving for tomorrow. Anyway, I'm not even really sure how much I like it, but that doesn't stop me from watching it obsessively. I might even hate it. No one else I know really watches it and I never get to talk about it.

So... anyone?
Quote from: Something Witty on Gabbly
Who is backstagebetty? A slut. But who?

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
Re: Big Love
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2007, 03:01 »

I watch it with my mom sometimes, its great.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

wm_star

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2007, 04:40 »

Oh, I love it.  I love it very much.  I think the acting and writing is phenomenal.  We were easily hooked after the first episode of the first season, and have watched every one since.

I'm curious - what don't you like about it?  Or why do you think you might hate it?  Or something like that - I just don't have any negative or ambivalent feelings at all toward the show, and I'm curious about yours.

backstagebetty

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mmmmhmm
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2007, 12:41 »

Well, of course I do like the show or there is no way I would have sat and watched the first season all within a span of a few days. However, as I was sitting and watching a recent episode last night, I found that so many awful things were happening and I didn't even care.

I talked to my dad about Big Love once and he was saying that he watched it a couple of times and he didn't identify with (or even like) any one character in the show, so he decided he didn't want to watch it anymore. I think my feelings on it might be along the same lines, to a certain extent. I don't particularly like any of the individual characters on the show, either. Every character has something about them that would stop me from caring about them in real life. Most of them, while they are having crappy things done to them, are doing crappy things to other people. Maybe it is better not to care so much about the characters as, at this point in the plot, so many terrible things are happening to everyone that, if I did care about them, it would probably hurt to watch it. Maybe it's better that I can sit back just in awe of all the things happening without caring. The way I can really tell that I don't care is that some of the characters are particularly awful people (like Bill's dad) and, normally when a character on a show is like that, I burn with the desire to see that character get his comeuppance. With this show, I don't even care because it doesn't matter to me whether the people that the awful characters are doing bad things to get their revenge or not. That's just strange for me.

I do sorta like Margene. I don't really like it when people upset her or do mean things to her because I think she is sweet (plus Ginnifer Goodwin is so cute and I have a little crush on her). Then again, she kinda gets upset a little too often for my taste, and I would probably get pretty irritated with her if I knew her in real life. I also do think that the characters are definitely well-written.

I don't ever plan to stop watching the show. I always have a morbid curiosity regarding what will happen next time.
Quote from: Something Witty on Gabbly
Who is backstagebetty? A slut. But who?

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2007, 13:21 »

I've watched the show several times, and I like it so that I don't change the channel if I come across it.

If I could figure out WHEN it's on, I would probably watch it on a regular basis. However, we have satellite and because it's through the apartment, it's on east coast time (I'm pacific). It gets confusing, though, because all the local channels have things on when they're supposed to. *shrugs* I'd buy the seasons on DVD. It's funny, interesting, keeps me entertained, all that good stuff.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

wm_star

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2007, 17:37 »

I talked to my dad about Big Love once and he was saying that he watched it a couple of times and he didn't identify with (or even like) any one character in the show, so he decided he didn't want to watch it anymore. I think my feelings on it might be along the same lines, to a certain extent. I don't particularly like any of the individual characters on the show, either. Every character has something about them that would stop me from caring about them in real life. Most of them, while they are having crappy things done to them, are doing crappy things to other people. Maybe it is better not to care so much about the characters as, at this point in the plot, so many terrible things are happening to everyone that, if I did care about them, it would probably hurt to watch it. Maybe it's better that I can sit back just in awe of all the things happening without caring. The way I can really tell that I don't care is that some of the characters are particularly awful people (like Bill's dad) and, normally when a character on a show is like that, I burn with the desire to see that character get his comeuppance. With this show, I don't even care because it doesn't matter to me whether the people that the awful characters are doing bad things to get their revenge or not. That's just strange for me.

Mm.  Yes.  They are all sort of shitty in their own ways, but I think the main family is lovable despite their faults (though Bill is getting on my nerves increasingly more every episode).  They all seem to be really...manipulative, I guess.  But I think that's just human nature in some ways, to try and spin a situation to get what you want and what you think is best.  I do have a solid dislike of Frank, though, and definitely want him to get back just what he gives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up