THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Babylon 5: The Lost Tales deserves a thread!  (Read 2089 times)

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
Babylon 5: The Lost Tales deserves a thread!
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 08:53 »

Does exactly what it says on the title.

So, any B5 fans seen this already? I saw it last night, and I thought it was okay. For me it was more the nostalgia of it, I didn't think it was B5's great return with pomp, but it was never intended to be. It's just an anthology of short stories in the B5 universe, and doesn't pretend to have anything other than that going for it.

Of course, to me the biggest treat is seeing the destruction of B5 re-made with current day CGI... it's breathtaking, specially considering the old scene, while moving, was a bit lacking in the CGI department. I just hope the DVDs sell well enough so we get the promised Londo and Garibaldi stories!
we are the universe made manifest

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Babylon 5: The Lost Tales deserves a thread!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2007, 10:53 »

I watched Bablyon 5 pretty seriously during its original run. It had the best CGI effects on TV at the time, blowing away everything else by far. I read a review the other day of this release, and your review pretty much agrees with it. Nothing totally earthshaking, but some decent stories for B5 fans who'd like a little more B5. It'll probably be a rental for me sometime.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2007, 08:06 »

Yeah, I've been re-watching season 5, and the feel is very similar: short stories set in the B5 universe that are not pivotal to the main arcs of the Shadow War and Earth Civil War. Despite season 5 having two mini-arcs (the Centauri and Telepath arcs), it was pretty episodic. However, I find it unique that B5 could squeeze in the two large storylines and the show presented you with the aftermath. In big epic stories you rarely see the aftermath proper, and we're so not used to see the aftermath of an epic event that some call this anti-climatic. It's simply realistic storytelling. Tolkien knew this in LOTR, but modern audiences wouldn't want that, so the epilogue of LOTR was neutered...

Anyways, sad to see nobody else cares about this in the boards :( I CRY ALONE!
we are the universe made manifest

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2007, 10:18 »

Don't cry, Kosh. I'll talk B5 with you.

Um, what do you want to talk about?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up