THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "skate." demo...  (Read 2602 times)

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
The "skate." demo...
« on: 23 Aug 2007, 12:43 »

The other day, I downloaded a demo of EA's new skating game, aptly titled "skate." I've been a fan of the Tony Hawk games as far back as I can remember, so I'm always willing to try out a new extreme sports game (I don't follow them at all in real life, I just think the games are crazy fun).

I download the demo, and literally less than thirty seconds into the demo, I'm already completely lost. The control scheme primarily uses the analog sticks for nearly everything you do. Flicking the right stick up makes you jump, flicking them to the left or right makes you do a flip trick, etc. The main problem is, you have to press the A and X buttons to push, otherwise you don't move. So, you have to press these buttons to go fast, and at the same time, hold the right analog stick down to bend your knees, preparing you for a jump.

Problem is, the A/X buttons and the right analog stick are both on the right side of the controller. So, you're pressing these buttons to gain speed, and with the same hand, holding down the right stick to prepare for a jump, and as you're doing this, you still need to steer yourself in the right direction with the left stick. Adding to frustration is the camera angle; it's behind your skater as it is in the Tony Hawk games, except it's zoomed in much closer, and you only see the lower half of your skater. Also, it's somewhat at an angle, so just skating in the direction you want to go is a challenge in itself.

The demo offers a tutorial right at the beginning, but even with the cheeky skater stereotype yelling the controls at me as I try to complete his challenges, I found it way too confusing and eventually, I just gave up and quit. Looks like there's a reason why the Tony Hawk series is really the only skating game out there nowadays. I know this was really long, but I feel the length is necessary to explain how frustrating the demo really was, to me at least. Anyone else download the demo? Feel free to share your thoughts.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: The "skate." demo...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2007, 21:04 »

Guys I just downloaded the demo for this new game "Richard Burns Rally". I've been a fan of need for speed games as far back as I can remember...

Seriously, what's the issue with not being able to bend your knees and push at the same time? I don't think you're supposed to, nor that it's really possible in real lfe.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2007, 21:15 »

:/

Alright, maybe you got me on that one.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2007, 08:43 »

As it turns out, I can't grind anything.  I picked up the control scheme pretty quick, but I just can't grind anything.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2007, 15:17 »

i am skateboarder. so for me, this game is amazing. it's just like real skateboarding; it's actually HARD to do hard tricks. i am enjoying the demo a great deal and will probably buy this when it comes out if i'm not broke.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up