THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 01:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Not There  (Read 4552 times)

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
I'm Not There
« on: 30 Aug 2007, 14:18 »

I'm really looking forward to this movie. The fact that there are 6 actors playing Bob Dylan is a little bizarre, especially Cate Blanchett, but I think it's still going to be really good.

Trailer and Clip from Yahoo

IMDB site

Thoughts? Complaints?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: I'm Not There
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2007, 14:49 »

Sounds fascinating.  I will probably watch it, maybe even in the Big Theater. 

I just have to see Cate Blanchette as Bob Dylan.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2007, 15:29 »

Looks both intriguing and risky. But then again, it's Bob Dylan, so it's bound to be interesting.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2007, 16:43 »

Huh. I've heard a lot of talk about this film, but when I heard that Cate Blanchett was going to be playing a version of Bob Dylan, I envisaged something infinitely more interesting and out-there than just Cate Blanchett doing a Bob Dylan impression, which is what it looks like from that clip.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2007, 19:05 »

tommy, i'm offended. Even if this is true, Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 revisited would make up for a lifetime of bad records in their sheer awesomeness. I'm really looking forward to this movie, His Bobness is the main man.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2007, 19:42 by Ishotdanieljohnston »

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2007, 19:08 »

Isn't it Blonde on Blonde ?
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2007, 19:41 »

shit yeah, how embarressin.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2007, 20:13 »

Only reason I remember that album is because his silly jew-fro on the cover.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2007, 14:40 »

More arrogant than pedantic, I think.  There's no reason to assume that the celebrities have not heard and appreciated Dylan's music.  Frankly, it's impossible to believe that they haven't.  Mr. Tamborine Man and All Along the Watchtower are not exactly underground hits. 

As far as Dylan's recent efforts go, Things Have Changed was great, and Modern Times was better than no Dylan at all.  The way I look at it, and I think the way most of his fans look at it is that the new stuff does nothing to detract from the '70s albums.  If you don't like vanity projects like Masked & Anonymous, you don't have to watch them.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2007, 15:02 by pilsner »

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2007, 17:16 »

The worst thing is there are already two completely brilliant films about Dylan - 'Dont Look Back' and 'No Direction Home'. By all means enjoy your fictionalised nonsense though.

Tommy man, i agree, these are both as good as anyone could want them to be. But have you watched the clips on the links above? personally, i think it looks like they've done an amazing job at offering a fresh, unique interpretation of his life while staying true to his character. Also, if Dylan had been perfect throughout his career, both personally and on record, he wouldn't be worth making such a film on. What makes Dylan so interesting is that he was and is a highly flawed character, he was endlessly developing and getting bored with and reiventing his style, and it looks like this is what this film will try to convey, the conflicts of an artist in conflict with himself and his past- tying at every stage to be sincere and honest to who he was at that time in his life. Also, Don't look back covers on tour in 1965, No Direction Home 1960 to '66- this is the first film to my knowledge to attempt a comprehensive vision of the man.

Before getting so cynical, i reccomend you check out other films by Todd Haines- they are as orignal, well made and enjoyable as films can get, and i would trust this complex figure in his hands. I've liked every thing of his i've seen (and this includes a gay film- and i'm not gay).

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2007, 23:33 »

Right, right. I've heard at least two Creed songs in my life too. I guess that makes me just the biggest Creed fan ever. I should make a film about them. I really should.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty certain I would enjoy your Creed movie more than the Creed movie of an actual fan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up