THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do jocks like teen flicks?  (Read 18591 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Do jocks like teen flicks?
« on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:01 »

This is not the most important question since Darwin asked why animals look alike, or Einstein wondered what it'd be like to fly on a ray of light (totally groovy, that's what). I was just wondering whether or not jocks or frat-boys or whatever you call 'em like teen comedies (high-school/college films). While many consider the plots of these films to be extremely, uh, low-brow, it can't be denied that many (if not most?) of them portray jocks and much of fraternity life in an extremely negative way.

I don't know any American jocks, so I can't ask them how they feel about these films. I know _I_ love 'em, but I'm a bit of a geek! Does anyone have an answer to this question??

I'm asking here because I'm asking about people more than about movies <3
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: Do jocks like teen flicks?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:05 »

Seeing as 'chavs' usually find mockeries of their culture funny, I'm guessing quite a lot of jocks will too. I guess they don't actually consider that it's a stereotype of them, but rather see the characters as dumb individuals.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:24 »

See, to me, this whole thing hinges on whether or not "jocks" exist. To me the idea of a jock is the stereotype portrayed in film, on TV, and in other forms of media. Yet, I've never actually seen this type of person in real life. Most "jocks" I encounter are well meaning, nice guys that are athletic. They don't really see themselves in the stereotype so they feel it is ok to laugh about it.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:27 »

There's two types of jocks (And yes, they exist):

The jocks who are nowhere near the stereotype put forth in many of these movies and are thus immune to overall offense. They can step out of their situation and get a good chuckle at the ridiculousness.

Then there's the jocks who fall to an almost identical characterization to the movie portrayals. These jocks tend to be too damn stupid or cocky to realize someone's actually making a joke at their expense.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2007, 08:46 »

Though I've yet to meet any, I'd postulate that any such 'jocks' (who are completely contrary to most of my experiences) would just laugh at it because it's stupid things happening to people, not because anyone else might assume that is in fact social commentary on a perceived and possibly constructed social type.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Spinless

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2007, 08:48 »

They don't really see themselves in the stereotype so they feel it is ok to laugh about it.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:09 »

There's two types of jocks (And yes, they exist):

The jocks who are nowhere near the stereotype put forth in many of these movies and are thus immune to overall offense. They can step out of their situation and get a good chuckle at the ridiculousness.

Then there's the jocks who fall to an almost identical characterization to the movie portrayals. These jocks tend to be too damn stupid or cocky to realize someone's actually making a joke at their expense.

Most of the jocks I know fit easily into the second category, and I am being dead serious.

Mnementh

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:25 »

I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON!

Spinless

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:30 »

Thread over.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:39 »

The fact of the matter is that everyone loves teen comedies (I assume you're in the The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Sixteen Candles, Say Anything area) and if they say they don't then they are liars.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:46 »

Define jock. Do you mean athlete? If so, smart or not so smart? If not, do you mean frat boy? Which kind: stereotypical (beer guzzling idiot) or not stereotypical (may drink beer, but probably isn't an idiot)? Or do you mean idiotic boys who look like the fell out of AE/A&F? Honestly, most of the guys I know who could fall into the so called jock category are actually nice guys, they are just athletic and like working out.

Also depends on the teen movie. Breakfast Club and Say Anything are far cries from things like Not Another Teen Movie.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Spinless

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:48 »

No IO, some of those movies sucked.
The fact of the matter is that Heathers was hilarious.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:52 »

They are mostly terrible.

Guys I am pretty sure he means stuff like american pie. I wouldn't say the breakfast club shows jocks in a bad light (and specifically not in the way aimless was suggesting). Plus he called the movies he means "Low-Brow" and that is definitely something you could say about American Pie and it's ilk.

Oh and if anyone says anything bad about jocks I'll smash ye in the pus. National pride and whatnot.

Mnementh

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:56 »

Oli, why are you pulling my dick?  What is your damage?

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:57 »

I think we've got crossed wires here somewhere...

(I'll let go)

Mnementh

« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2007, 09:59 »

No dude, it's cool I was just making further references to Heathers.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:01 »

I have never seen heathers.

Spinless

« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:05 »

You're clearly not angsty enough. My teen angst has a body count.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:10 »

Heathers has all the greatness that is "Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw," and OMG SPOILER ALERT.

Sorry, but Oli hasn't seen it.

Sorry Oli!
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2007, 10:48 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:17 »

I don't actually care much about spoilers unless it is an important part of the plot.

It's nice that you thought though :-)

Gabbly

« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2007, 20:07 »

I THOUGHT THAT THOSE WERE ALL EXCELLENT MOVIES AND I DO LIKE TO THINK THAT I AM PRETTY ATHLETIC IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2007, 22:50 »

this is like a nightmare when you wake up and you're in the middle of "not another teen movie".
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2007, 23:08 »

Well, now I know what a jock is thanks to this thread.

This is not particularly useful information.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

BootsyMarie

« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2007, 23:47 »

I think the jocks that fall into the stereotypical, "I'm a big-jerk" category; watch, and don't get it.

And the jocks that are just regular dudes that dig sports think it's funny. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two got annoyed or offended, but I think if a person is confident enough in them being a decent person, they'll watch and just be like, "whatever."

That's sort of how I am watching all the movies with the cliche "goth/punk" chick. I like jambands and indie music. The hardest shit I listen to is KSE, I think. I'm not "misunderstood", or sad, or depressed. Or sometimes they're the total opposite. Like, the chick that's totally hip, and fun because she dyes her hair "wacky" colors!

I don't care. I get a good laugh out of it, and the rest of the movie isn't about that one character.

But hmmm...

I don't consider myself, "goth/punk," though...Maybe a hardcore chick/wanna be hippy meets random punk influences...iono. I put on what I think looks good in the morning, and don't worry about whether or not anybody is going to totally think I'm cool for being "oh so dark."

On an unrelated note...I dated a guy for like two days once...He said I was, "dark and misunderstood" just like him. I dumped him the next day simply because he was an idiot.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2007, 23:49 by BootsyMarie »

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #24 on: 02 Sep 2007, 19:26 »

I have never seen heather's.

They are fantastic, I promise.

LOL BOOB JOKE
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 02 Sep 2007, 19:41 »

Wait, wait, wait, wait. What the fuck?

Are people hating on Not Another Teen Movie in here? Because what the fuck? I'd say it's the best movie of the <Genre> Movies but that's not saying much. It's a better movie than every single teen movie of the 90s.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

It would be better than all of them from the 80s if it weren't for Better Off Dead, Heathers, and Ferris Bueller. Lucky goddamn 80s.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #26 on: 02 Sep 2007, 19:56 »

I can't recall if I've actually seen all of Not Another Teen Movie. I think I have, but with all the parody movies that came out at that time I'm not sure which is which anymore.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Mnementh

« Reply #27 on: 03 Sep 2007, 09:17 »

Ozy, you've impugned the likes of 10 Things I Hate About You and now we can never speak again.  Not Another Teen Movie was mildly amusing when it first came out, and it had Molly Ringwald in it.  However, it didn't hold up over time because it spawned that damnable pop-culture-references-are-the-equivalent-of-wit genre.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: 03 Sep 2007, 10:10 »

Heathers was awesome. I actually liked winona ryder in that.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #29 on: 03 Sep 2007, 10:25 »

I got this for my birthday this year. It is outstanding.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 03 Sep 2007, 12:06 »

Ozy, you seem to be forgetting about Empire Records, Can't Hardly Wait, Dazed and Confused, and Mallrats.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #31 on: 03 Sep 2007, 19:44 »

I was just about to make the shrill statement that Can't Hardly Wait cannot be overlooked as one of the better teen films to come out during my early formative teen years.  The Beer has gone bad!

Most of the jock types I knew in high school were cool.  Most of the jock types I've known throughout college have been cool.  Most of the frat types I've known throughout college have been total douchebags...  fucken Bros, can't stand em for the most part.  Most frat boy depictions are true. 

Baggy

« Reply #32 on: 04 Sep 2007, 12:22 »

While I've been told of these mysterious "good frats" that are not party house idiots who drink all day every day and make a mockery of the human race exist, I'm not sure I believe it.  It's probably that you know a "frat dude" if you see one but you can't tell the good fratguys are even in frats...because they aren't douchebags.

And I've met a mix of jocks.  Alot of them are the stereotype.  But I'll admit I've met a few that pass for a decent human being.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #33 on: 05 Sep 2007, 12:12 »

I did use the term "most".  A friend of mine from high school ended up joining a frat when he got to college... which never really made sense.  Anyway, he wasn't a douche, but he was the furthest thing from a douch, usually.  Course, his frat was all nerds and shit so I dunno how that one passed through.   

I still stand by my original statements that frat guys are usually douches, and that Can't Hardly Wait was the best teen movie of the past two decades.

Ravenbomb

« Reply #34 on: 05 Sep 2007, 20:14 »

What qualifies a "Teen Movie"? Are "Wild Things" and "Kids" teen movies? What about "Hackers"?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 05 Sep 2007, 22:37 »

Ozy, you seem to be forgetting about Empire Records, Can't Hardly Wait, Dazed and Confused, and Mallrats.

Man. Empire Records and Dazed and Confused don't count.

Fuck you for Can't Hardly Wait.

And you've got me on Mallrats. Kevin Smith ruins everything for me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #36 on: 09 Sep 2007, 12:11 »

frank the tank.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Spinless

« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2007, 16:55 »

I wonder if the Breakfast Club is on tv-links. I feel like watching that movie and acting out all the parts as it in playing.

Mnementh

« Reply #38 on: 15 Sep 2007, 22:33 »

What qualifies a "Teen Movie"?

Honestly, if you have to ask…

Ravenbomb

« Reply #39 on: 16 Sep 2007, 00:54 »

If I have to ask a perfectly reasonable question considering people have different standards for what qualifies a movie for a certain subgenre, then what? You seemed to trail off at the end there...

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #40 on: 16 Sep 2007, 04:31 »

See, to me, this whole thing hinges on whether or not "jocks" exist. To me the idea of a jock is the stereotype portrayed in film, on TV, and in other forms of media. Yet, I've never actually seen this type of person in real life. Most "jocks" I encounter are well meaning, nice guys that are athletic. They don't really see themselves in the stereotype so they feel it is ok to laugh about it.

You are an extremely lucky man. The jock's at my school are, generally, really horrible, nasty, perverted people. Keep in mind that this is an Australian private school we're alkin about which encourages hierachical behavior (leadership they call it), this in turn provides an opportunity for them to assert their alpha male status, and to indulge in the crudest most disgusting behaviour. The rowin team is notorious for there sexually violent behaviour to the coxes. This is not an exageraion. It is nightmarish. there are others who really just are the freindly athletic type, who i get along with and are disgusted by the behaviour o the others.

I'm still strugling with the fact that i'm goin to have to celebrate with these people at the valedictory dinner in a few weeks, and that i'm goin to be remembered as bein part of this cohort.

Mnementh

« Reply #41 on: 16 Sep 2007, 17:16 »

If I have to ask a perfectly reasonable question considering people have different standards for what qualifies a movie for a certain subgenre, then what? You seemed to trail off at the end there...

I would argue that the teen movie is less an genre and more a shared cultural experience, and that if you have to ask the question you're probably of the wrong generation, from the wrong place, or just not going to get the genre.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #42 on: 16 Sep 2007, 18:43 »

Yeah, it's not for you.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ravenbomb

« Reply #43 on: 18 Sep 2007, 00:28 »

I'm more than happy to be left out of the "Not Another Teen Movie" cultural experience.

muteKi

« Reply #44 on: 18 Sep 2007, 14:19 »

Same here, and I just passed my "teen" years.

Mnementh

« Reply #45 on: 18 Sep 2007, 23:30 »

honey please, try some john hughes

Ravenbomb

« Reply #46 on: 20 Sep 2007, 20:54 »

I've seen John Hughes movies. I was just asking if we were including any movie that centered on teenagers, or just those teen comedy type movies.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2007, 22:36 »

Jocks like 300 and anything with tits.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up