THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Big Planet  (Read 71123 times)

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Little Big Planet
« on: 10 Sep 2007, 13:40 »

I have to say, I have heard this game title thrown around a lot, but it sounded like a kids' game, so I never checked it out... then I saw this video, and I may just buy my own PS3 just to play this game.  It just looks like the best fun ever had on a console.

Also, I find it odd how closely the main character you get resembles Gir from Invader Zim.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Little Big Planet
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007, 13:53 »

It certainly does look cool, and I'm sure some creative people will do some really interesting things with it. I'd really like to try it, but I don't know how much of a game there really is to it, and I'm certainly not sold on a PS3 just by seeing it. After all, being the people who made Rag Doll Kung Fu isn't exactly the best track record in the business.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Dimsey

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:36 »

Yeah, also the only game coming out on the PS3 that interests me that I know of, but yeah. Not enough too get me to fork over the money for one.
Does look fun, though.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:22 »

When I saw the GDC conference, I was like a giddy schoolgirl over it, but the more I see it, the more I realize that it'll be ultimately useless to me, and as a downloadable title (or is that just the demo?), is not going to warrant the loss of $600 on my part.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007, 10:33 »

No, it is in fact downloadable.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2007, 10:45 »

this was the clincher for me when it comes to the ps3. i was planning on getting one eventually for FFXIII and MGS4 and a couple others but i'm so excited for Little Big Planet that i might get one sooner than expected.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ally

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2007, 16:59 »

I do not know anyone wish a PS3 and I could never afford it, but this is delightfully clever and innovative. I approve! I hope that some day, when the PS3 is outdated and cheap, I will have the opportunity to experiment with this game (and a few others).

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2008, 12:03 »

I know this thread is pretty old.  But I found some interesting stuff that has come out of the beta, here and here.  If I come across a very large amount of money, I may just have to check this out.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 08 Oct 2008, 14:27 »

whoa i thought this was a new thread but then i saw a post from myself and did a little double take.

i really thought i would have a PS3 by now but i just haven't been able to afford it yet which sucks because it comes out next month and i really want to play it.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 08 Oct 2008, 17:40 »

This is the only PS3 game that I really really want. Like, it looks great but I really don't know if I can justify buying another console for it. Maybe in a year or so Sony will cut the price again and I can pick it up and all of the really kickass user levels will be already there for me.

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 08 Oct 2008, 18:01 »

I don't know, I have just never gotten any kind of interest in this game at all. Like, I'm not interested in it as in I can't see enjoying it at all unless you fap to level editors.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 08 Oct 2008, 18:10 »

I don't know, I have just never gotten any kind of interest in this game at all. Like, I'm not interested in it as in I can't see enjoying it at all unless you fap to level editors.

Ironically, I have almost no interest in creating my own level, just seeing the crazy shit everyone else came up with.

Which is weird, now that I think about it. They're selling what is essentially a level editor, albeit an extremely comprehensive one, and then their customers make their content for them. I realize that's a simplification, since it does have single-player content, but it definitely feels different than the relationship between developers and the public in the case of most games.

I guess whether or not I'll end up wanting this game depends on whether or not the core platforming is any fun. It's pretty ambiguous from the gameplay trailers I've seen so far.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #12 on: 08 Oct 2008, 19:16 »

This is why I stress that I won't get it unless I come across a large sum of money.  Well, two large sums of money.  The first one is going to the credit card bill and savings.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 08 Oct 2008, 23:16 »

The platforming mechanics were also big concern for me (they looked a bit.... floaty?), but most people in the beta seem to be pretty positive about it.  Also, the amount of content already out is apparently a lot more than they were expecting, so they're reconsidering the original plan of wiping it all out before the official launch of the game. 

And now, for pure fanboy excitement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRgYBHoAoU

The first half is cute but useless little demonstration.  The reveal after that is fairly amazing.  Particularly considering this was created in what, a few days in an open demo?

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #14 on: 09 Oct 2008, 01:56 »

That video is easily the coolest, most amazing thing I have seen in a LONG time....maybe people aren't so hopeless after all.  The more I hear about this game the cooler it makes itself in my mind....and yet I still have no intention of buying it...at the moment.  As amazingly cool as this game seems...It just...doesn't slap me as something I'd really have an amazing time playing.  Also I don't have all that much money for videogames, I hate having to buy food.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2008, 04:54 »

I remain disappointed that this is not some kind of bizarre MMORPG based on Little Big Adventure.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2008, 06:42 »

^what he said. I just saw the words "little big" and this hope sparked inside my chest. Oh well.

This does look incredibly cool, though. Doing this with four friends must be amazing!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #17 on: 09 Oct 2008, 12:45 »

Saw the beta, looks like you can do some fun things with the tiles, but since its a platform game any PC level creator blows it out of the water if they work with 3DS Max, Blender, or Maya. The tiles are fun and being able to texture without knowing anything is nice as well, but the buy in price for the console will exclude a lot of people and the limitations will push serious level designers away.

From what I've heard, from those I spoke with, few people ever actually finish a level, they mostly just claim that everyone else will make cool levels for them. So I doubt we'll see anything astounding any time soon.
Arrogance and ignorance rolled into one sexy package

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2008, 13:16 »

have you seen what people have made with the beta?

it'd say "astounding" is a pretty accurate adjective to describe some of them.

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2008, 18:53 »

I do not know anyone wish a PS3 and I could never afford it, but this is delightfully clever and innovative. I approve! I hope that some day, when the PS3 is outdated and cheap, I will have the opportunity to experiment with this game (and a few others).
I think Sony has planned a 10 year life-cycle for the PS3. So it may be a while!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2008, 19:11 »

They all say that, it means nothing. Eventually Microsoft will force their hand and they won't be able to ignore the prospect of being left behind on the tech curve.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2008, 20:02 »

I don't know if anyone has heard this yet, but...

Little Big Planet has been recalled, and thus pushed back. We have 5 copies of it in our store today, and had to send them all back. Apparently, there are quotes from the Qur'an in one of the background songs.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2008, 20:24 »

Religion: bad idea?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2008, 06:40 »

Quotes from teh Qu'ran?

Talk about lack of inspiration. Most other games with a decent creativity would come up with their own religion.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2008, 08:08 »

I hope that's sarcasm.  The quotes were in one of the licensed songs on the soundtrack.  The game has no religious elements outside of that.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2008, 20:08 »

lol exaggeration is a beautiful thing.

All it means is that they'll try and figure out another song and then throw the game back to the stores. But pushed back by how far?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2008, 21:36 »

Oct. 27th, I think.  Only a couple weeks.

CarbonatedWeasel

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2008, 16:37 »

This is really the only game on the PS3 that I've ever actually wanted to buy, because most other games that I thought looked interesting were also available on the 360 or PC.
I would hope that there is a teeny, tiny, minuscule chance that they would eventually port it to the xbox but its likely not going to happen.

Ikrik

« Reply #28 on: 30 Oct 2008, 01:57 »

I just bought it today and I will be playing it into the wee hours of the morning...needless to say first impressions are that it is AWESOME.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2008, 06:12 »

The only problem I see is that this will suffer from the same problem spore did, and the same problem that Yatzee mentioned in his latest review. the average gamer is a dickhead and will abuse any freedom given to them, so I doubt it will take long before we end up with spinning Natzi signs (I know what they're call I just can't be bothered trying to figure out how to spell it) and giant penises that make trusting motions for levels.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #30 on: 30 Oct 2008, 14:50 »

Am I the only one who is having problems with the jee dee depth on this game? Maybe my vision has really and officially gone to pot, but I have a lot of trouble making my little sack creature go further forward or back (I keep wanting to say upstage and downstage because that better illustrates what I'm talking about). I'll think I'm jumping to swing on something and instead, it will turn out that it's some distance in front of where I jumped from so I fall on spikes and die.

Is it just my eyes (or, to be fair, my inexperience)?
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #31 on: 30 Oct 2008, 17:52 »

That was one of the main complaints the Kotaku reviewer had, was the sensitivity of the controls in that respect.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2008, 22:00 »

Bumping this due to some news I've just read here: http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/games/articles/big-fuss-brews-over-littlebigplanet/2008/11/12/1226318708791.html

So, at first they delay it over a song, and now users' levels are being removed heavy-handedly and people are losing enthusiasm for the exact part of the game that everyone was getting excited over.  Way to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory.

Trynant

• Emoticontraindication
  • never slow
« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2008, 04:11 »

I would like to mention yet one other reason that this game kicks ass (despite issues above).

In one of the levels (the construction site specifically), the level music plays "Atlas" by Battles.

From a 2007 entry in the Music Blog,
http://www.questionablecontent.net/rlblog/2007/12/my-top-10-songs-of-2007.html

Quote from: jeph
2. Battles- Mirrored-
Atlas

Hands down, the heaviest tune of 2007. "Atlas" doesn't feature downtuned (or even particularly distorted) guitars, or scary demon-vocals, or hyper-technical double-bass drumming. It doesn't need any of that bullshit. It has John Stanier pounding out the most crushing drum beat this side of Led Zeppelin while the rest of the band builds and builds and builds and Tyondai Braxton's insanely pitch-shifted vocals hammer the melody into your brain, logic and reason be damned. This song causes neck injuries, car accidents, and cancer in lab animals. This song will simultaneously make you dumber and smarter. This song will take off three years of your life. Hyperbole aside, this song will probably make you sprain your neck, at the very least.

Shame that some of the music Mm picks ends up being a controversy, because some of it just makes my day.
When all else fails, spam.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2008, 10:03 »

Ah fuck, this is out now?  My budget can't afford it at the moment, I don't think.

:cry:
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up