THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 01:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's watch the excellent NSFW documentary, This Film Is Not Yet Rated  (Read 7318 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2008, 15:25 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby

Best quote;

"What's wrong with that?"

"We don't know but its very offensive."

Also this is my biggest gripe with the MPAA and basically censoring in general: Sex is considered extremely uncalled for and offensive, while obscene amounts of violence are often rarely questioned or challenged by the media.
Hate, rain on me

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Sex is considered extremely uncalled for and offensive, while obscene amounts of violence are often rarely questioned or challenged by the media.

I've been thinking about this a bit recently. I think it might be because, consciously or unconsciously, censors and governmental people think that sex is something people are likely to do, whereas most people don't have a predisposition towards extreme violence; so it's more likely that people will see sex on T.V. or in films, and get inspired to go and have some sex for themselves; therefore, it's more "dangerous" to depict sex than it is to depict violence. Of course this doesn't explain why sex itself is regarded with such fear or moral outrage, but that's another issue altogether.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Quote from: Sheila Broflovski
Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids! That's what this war is all about!
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2008, 19:41 by Surgoshan »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Okay, now I've finished watching the documentary.  I agree that the secrecy and whatnot are bad, the standards are whacked, and that overall the MPAA is bad.

One thing; the voice re-enacting for the male lawyer representing the appeals board was clearly very slanted.  I didn't like it and it was jarring.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

I'm on part 5/10 right now. My favorite part so far is where they had the little counter adding up the number of thrusts in separate scenes.

I chuckled.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

It's good to let those out.

Otherwise you could get an ingrown chuckle.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Ooh, that sounds like it would hurt.

Also, I just finished it and I am a little angry, mainly concerning the whole bit about the military being involved in the review process. I don't care how many times they say it's not censorship, it is. I think I have just made it my goal in life to be on the ratings board so I can do my part in getting movies into theaters that should be in theaters.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

And you've just made it certain that you'll never be on the board.  That's probably the most extensively reviewed position ever.  I'm a middle school teacher and I'm certain that the review process for my employment wasn't as thorough as that for the MPAA review board.  Frankly, the MPAA would rather a pedophile taught math to 12 year olds than that someone rates movies who thinks maybe sex isn't all that bad.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

I watched this back when it first came out on DVD. I'm surprised no one's mentioned that the documentarian sued the MPAA because they made illegal copies of their screener and disseminated it, the sort of thing that the MPAA is designed to combat.

Other than that, though, the movie goes to relative shit towards the end of the film, where the documentarian starts to become the focus of the film. I was enjoying myself greatly up until that point.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Documentarian?  Why not documenter?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Sorry, still a bit loopy. I was probably thinking of Movementarians from the Simpsons.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJ56BUPnSw

Oh my god thank you.  I had been wanting to see this for a long time.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer

Well, this brings up the question...should we write letters to the MPAA demanding lower ratings for films?  Would that kind of 'pressure' work?  What about the FCC?  Or should we request that the studios advertise and put more NC-17 films in theatres?  The only reason I knew about A Dirty Shame was because the local newspaper (not even the regional/state newspaper) had an article about it being NC-17.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

The names of the MPAA board members are kept secret, so a letter campaign probably won't even get past secretaries (and even if it did, it's not as if you have any say in what your interests are as a viewer. The MPAA is ostensibly protecting the interests of the people who don't write in.) And as far as I know the fate of NC-17 and unrated movies is decided by the theater chains and video stores, not the studios. The wide moratorium on such films is self-regulation.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I'd say it's the studios' fault just as much as the MPAA for not advertising NC-17 films (18A here in Canada) and the movie theatres for not showing them.

Great documentary though, loved all of the interviews and the P.I. part especially.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

What I found most surprising is that the MPAA raters are paid laughably low salaries and are apparently just some random twats they yanked off the street and stuck in a chair.

The two ex-MPAA guys that were interviewed seemed really cool though.

Also I had no clue Boys Don't Cry was so controversial, and I think it's weird that he didn't at least have a short little segment about Henry and June (the first NC-17 movie ever, which contains, in retrospect, very tame lesbian sex and that's about it).
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!

Like the documentary said, the same companies control both production and exhibition, among a lot of other things. And even if a company like Time Warner doesn't directly own your chain of theaters, they also have such a hand in the distribution of their films (that is, a sizable portion of the films that people want to watch) that they in effect have a lot of power over your company anyway. I think it's pretty clear that there's not much hope of change from the outside in when there's this degree of monopolization in the industry.

OK SPOILER I GUESS:

one of my favorite parts was seeing all the amazing names on that appeals board, THEN remembering back to the decision to overturn the rating on the war documentary. makes me really want to go and see that one now.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Good documentary, although the bias was a little annoying at points.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto

On 6/10.  This is a pretty good documentary, but I really can't get into the investigation part of the film.  It's just painfully boring and a bit self-congratulating, you know, the whole "Shit, we're awesome.  We're getting to the bottom of this" attitude.  But the better part of this film is really good so far.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 17:16 by WriterofAllWrongs »

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

The dvd version has some sweet deleted scenes, and a Q&A session with Kirby Dick at SXSW

Check it out! The one interview goes into piracy and stuff as well (which is likely why it was deleted)
Pages: [1]   Go Up