THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 18:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why aren't hipsters allowed to like compact discs?  (Read 32315 times)

muteKi

Re: Why aren't hipsters allowed to like compact discs?
« Reply #100 on: 10 Oct 2007, 18:58 »

Actually, the other forum title that asks a question has become the setup for a strange joke indeed.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #101 on: 10 Oct 2007, 19:06 »

If you mean your thread, then yes.  If you mean the thread about the participation of women in music, recognizing their achievements which are often underplayed, then you're wrong.  If you mean the original thread, then also yes.

muteKi

« Reply #102 on: 10 Oct 2007, 19:28 »

No, I like women in music and all, but I meant that there were always a few posts here and there that were like that. Sadly, I was not the first with the ears joke. Album's cool, though

Kilgore_Trout

« Reply #103 on: 30 Oct 2007, 06:41 »

For almost two years, i bought nothing but vinyl, new releases in the more hip record stores, and old ones in cozy, odd-smelling basements. The attraction to this bigger format was the more "intense" sound and of course, the album art. Indeed, the neon bible looks better duplified and printed on a big vinyl paper-cover, than on some small scratchy plastic-case. But then it hit me, last month, that my cd-collection was starting to look pretty emberrasing, since i had not bought any cds for 2 years, it was´nt my collection anymore. So when my payment arrived last week i went on a shopping spree and bought a nice pile of cds. And hey, there´s nothing wrong with them. Im satisfied with the sound quality, and the small lyric-booklets is a dear comeback. There is such a thing as a harmony between Vinyl and CD. You don´t have to choose.
What´s starting to irritate me, however, is the i-pod-culture. There´s some bad sound for you. Mp3s and Flacs and whatever does´nt do it for me. When i buy a record, i like to sit down with a cup o´ coffee and listen the tracks through. To walk around with half-as-good-versions of the songs in small headphones is a bad way of enjoying music. And what about the album art? I count it as 15% of the overall-record-experience.  I own an i-pod as well, and i downloaded the new Radiohead album as soon as i could, but i must say that people who just listen to music via itunes and ipods miss out on much. Cheers.
(I´m a swede if you find some grammar faults in the text)

hipstersnob

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • I am not a hipster snob
Steve Reich - Drumming For The Win

muteKi

« Reply #105 on: 30 Oct 2007, 10:19 »

The problems I have with vinyl are that it doesn't keep a high sound quality. Most of my vinyls are from 60s to 80s and none of them sound anywhere near as good as remasters on CD at this point.

And of course with digital recording it really doesn't help anyway. Besides, there's only so much that I can hear anyway; any rate above 128 kbps sounds fine to me.
If I made a band I'd probably record digitally since by this point it's a lot easier to do so I doubt that I'd ever release on vinyl.

Dual-sided discs I'm sure can be done, and if you complain about packaging, take a look at what TMBG did with their Flood Album: the front cover/sleeve folded out to a significantly larger size.

Pity practically nothing plays Audio DVDs.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2007, 10:20 by muteKi »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #106 on: 30 Oct 2007, 10:52 »

I've seen double-sided DVDs, but not double-sided CDs.

Odd.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up