THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 01:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The truth about bearded women.  (Read 7420 times)

tehjiggles

• Plantmonster
The truth about bearded women.
« on: 22 Oct 2007, 20:20 »

I wrote this for class (undergrad-sophomore required-class thing) but I think it's worth posting.

oh It's about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_Mirth The House of Mirth

Lily Bart is a paradox. She takes chances and gambles, yet she is ever hesitant to seal her fate. The most pressing risks are taken, whether or not to gamble, playing the stock market, not to mention the risk she takes courting more than one man simultaneously. But when Lily prepares for the future, she wants to remain at an intersection with many roads. She expects to have a steady supply of wealthy bachelors waiting after she deems her current unable to lift her to her desired spot on the social ladder. Unfortunately, she can not succeed because of her destiny from birth. In many ways, Lily is a bearded woman.
   In the rich socialite world that Lily continually invades, money is god. I do not mean god as a man with a beard, or, perhaps, a woman with a beard. Many people believe in men with beards. My roommate has a beard. Therefore, I must believe in men with beards. Unless he's a liar, or worse, my senses can not be trusted, or even worse, he is not a man. We must divorce the idea of bearded men to see god as merely the highest power. Indeed, through unrelenting willpower I shall, or if fortune does not find me today, attempt to, cease to gaze upon my dorm brother's bristles for the length of my diction. This necessary act to ensure an unbiased write will drain the author of much constitution, so it may be asked permissible for errors of judgment and grammar to be made. Paradoxically, yet must be made clear, I will not come closer to unbearded god through this act of willpower for it will drain me of that which provides my power. In addition, my hairy faced cohort and comrade does not evoke the symbolism of beardedness that will be discussed forthwith and as such may sway the course of logic away from the true essence of beard.
   Lily's beard is her past. A bearded woman is an outsider in society, and the beard is the component of the bearded woman that causes this ostracism. Lily's society of choice is high society, and in high society her shame, or beard, is her poor past. Lily grew up without a father. Her mother could not provide those luxuries that Lily would later seek, and as such created a deep shame inside her daughter. Rather than teach Lily to accept her beard and proceed amicably, she tries to shave the beard and pretend that Lily is devoid of hormonal imbalances. Lily learns this behavior, and does her best to keep her stubble hidden.
   Waxing your face hurts. So, to avoid this pain as she grows older, and as follows her hormonal imbalance, or inability to assimilate, grows, she must somehow permanently rid herself of the secret shame of poverty. She must marry a wealthy man. In Wharton's era, this is the only method of attaining wealth available to a woman. Lily needs to make sure her husband can give her a close shave.
   To Lily, acceptance is virtue. In the class she tries to infiltrate, acceptance is contingent on money. And as we know, within the society, money decides power. Truly, it is money that grooms the beard, for humans are not endowed with such tools to remove the bondage of out-of-control whiskers. Freedom, beardedness, without success, trimming, results in gypsy-like bushy beard reminding one much of "dinginess". Only god can truly smooth the face of the sinner, God being money, and that sin being the inability to attain power. Lily Bart is a sinful woman as long as she does not marry, for she knows her money will equate to virtue, and by refusing to accept proposals she is turning her back on the nature of god, in the unbearded sense. Why does Lily turn her back on the very power she should seek?
   The answer may lie within the thick tangle of Lily's beard. A thick gypsy like beard, especially on a woman, has the disadvantage of a lack of power. However, it places our protagonist at the crossroads of infinity. Once indoctrinated into a class, or ordered path, also referred to as "taking estrogen to stop unfeminine hair growth", she has the choice to travel down this path for eternity. However, in marrying, her method of indoctrination, she is removing herself from the crossroads of infinity. This is the place outside of society where a bearded woman must naturally reside.
   Lily's mother did not introduce her to the concept of being beside the ladder. Even as their female beards grew long, her mothers eventually so long and so draining of her power that she died, they cling to the ideal of wealth as virtue. This clinging itself is the leech of aristocracy.
   The gypsy lives a happy life because he has accepted his big bushy beard, or her big bushy beard. As they have for themselves redefined virtue as altogether separate from power, they see being at the crossroads of infinity as the desired stage of life. Being at this crossroads, accepting that one's female beard greases the rungs of the bourgeoisie ladder, is to be in the midst of freedom. Each path, a life decision to work towards a goal, the end of the road, which is said to always be Rome, for it was not built in a day, once taken eliminates this total freedom. However, some roads go forever, such as the road of the aristocracy. More likely they drive on a parkway with pretty foliage and sunny meadows.
   Lily starts to understand the nature of ladders in book two, as she loses her ever trembling grip on it and during her long fall has not the time to shave. Bertha does not find Lily's shaving kit, and as we know the beard, or Lily's born into lust for freedom, is responsible for the grease upon which she slips and falls. Bertha's action of alleging an affair between George and our hero is a natural action, as it places Lily closer to her nature, within the land of bearded women. Bertha too has a female beard, but it is her affair with Ned. She shaves it off by getting rid of George and Lily, those who might know about the cheating.
   Lily toils getting back to the crossroads of infinity, paying off her debts, and revealing to many her dingy bearded nature. One who this nature is revealed to is Lily herself. She pays her debts, and nature is starting to work. Selden, the only character in the story to be possess traits of both the bearded and shaven, standing outside the ladder yet being powerful, comes to his nature and is about to join Lily at the crossroads.
   Unfortunately, Lily fell very far off of the ladder. The pain of the fall leads her to an addiction with sleeping tonic. In her embracing freedom, the gypsy life of drug taking and beard growing, she has found an alternative way of living to the aristocratic parkway, where one must climb to power. As such, she no longer has a need for power. Consequently, she, without power, dies from this embracing. Indeed, her departure from our world is a weak one. Taking a bit too much of the freedom representing juice, she lightly drifts off into nonexistence. She is finally free, but she is dead.
   Had Lily stayed on the ladder, continued to seek power, would her fate be the same? Certainly the rich too die, but unlike the poor, they exist after death. This is because of those who have climbed the ladder and chose a path no longer being at the crossroads. They are bound to their choice; the choice is to gather power. The wealthy, a distinct subset of the powerful, are often talked about by their wealth, or amount of money. A Forbes list is not significant because it has fifty names on it, certainly I could make a list of 50 names, quite possibly more entertaining than those on a Forbes list, for instance, Terd Ferguson, it is significant because those fifty names are linked with millions of dollars. When Bertha looks at the others in her circle, she sees them as money. The rich, if on the path to power through money, see themselves as their rung on the ladder.
   A person on this path who has achieved wealth has therefore become money. They are their rung, and their rung is their money. As such, when the physical manifestation of the wealthy person dies, they still live on with their inheritance. In this way, the wealthy can live after death as long as no one manipulates the fortune past the point where it can be called the wealthy dead man's. Eternal life is then not limited to the wealthy, anyone who sets down a path which creates a record lasting past their death can be immortal.
   Immortality is a bad thing. Lily died, and ceased to exist, because she passed nothing on, save the memories. However, she died free and fully bearded. Those who cling to the ladder will live forever, as slaves to the almighty Benjamin. Patrick Henry ironically, in this situation, and famously, in American situations, said "Give me liberty or give me death." Lily preferred the word and.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2007, 20:24 by tehjiggles »

carnivoracious

Re: The truth about bearded women.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2007, 21:52 »

I'm not entirely sure where to start on this...

Perhaps I should mention that since this is about a book it may need to be moved to the Movies, TV shows and Books forum.  On the other hand, the prevalant use of metaphore is so funny strange intriguing that the post at least deserves some comment.

First of all, I have never read The House of Mirth.  Considering the subject matter of the book and the context from which the title was borrowed, it certainly is an apt title.  While my not having read the book denies me the ability to properly critique the subject of your writing, I am curious about your symbolism.  You go from bearded ladies (and dormmates) to gypsies to liberty to death (with some equating money and god for good measure).  While the reasoning is sound enough, I wonder what made you draw the correlation between beards and gypsies instead of drawing a similar correlation between beards and another semi-nomadic culture.  Certainly for your purposes gypsies fit the bill gypsies being relatively inept at climbing many social ladders due to the nature of prejudice against gypsies, but why not another bearded migratory culture or even just peasants.  Since the freedom you indicate is from the pressure and expectations of the culture Lily Bart was aspiring to, any society that had different standards than her chosen one could indicate liberty.

I'd be curious to know how well you did with the paper.  I'd also like to see what kind of correlation there is between beards and the migration of global cultures. 

tehjiggles

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2007, 21:56 »

I'm not entirely sure where to start on this...

Perhaps I should mention that since this is about a book it may need to be moved to the Movies, TV shows and Books forum.  On the other hand, the prevalant use of metaphore is so funny strange intriguing that the post at least deserves some comment.

First of all, I have never read The House of Mirth.  Considering the subject matter of the book and the context from which the title was borrowed, it certainly is an apt title.  While my not having read the book denies me the ability to properly critique the subject of your writing, I am curious about your symbolism.  You go from bearded ladies (and dormmates) to gypsies to liberty to death (with some equating money and god for good measure).  While the reasoning is sound enough, I wonder what made you draw the correlation between beards and gypsies instead of drawing a similar correlation between beards and another semi-nomadic culture.  Certainly for your purposes gypsies fit the bill gypsies being relatively inept at climbing many social ladders due to the nature of prejudice against gypsies, but why not another bearded migratory culture or even just peasants.  Since the freedom you indicate is from the pressure and expectations of the culture Lily Bart was aspiring to, any society that had different standards than her chosen one could indicate liberty.

I'd be curious to know how well you did with the paper.  I'd also like to see what kind of correlation there is between beards and the migration of global cultures. 

I did indeed intend to add something about the role of bearded women in society...They're capitalization(sideshows) on that which isolates them brings power, and providing freedom.

I guess Lily Bart should have become a hooker :-/

edit:: The gypsy is really meant in a more archetypal manner, the , as Tony Soprano puts it, "Happy Wanderers". I guess I was also thinking about the movie "Hot Fuzz" with the gypsys with "big bushy beards!"
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2007, 22:01 by tehjiggles »

carnivoracious

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2007, 22:02 »

I'm actually quite surprized she didn't, I think there was a movie with a similar situation where the heroine did become a hooker.  I can't remember the name of the film though.  I know Morgan Freeman was in it. 

(I think this is just further evidence that this thread belongs elsewhere, no offense though)

leave for no raisin

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2007, 22:26 »

It's an interesting metaphor.  Out of curiosity, exactly what type of class is this for?  Is it a required lit class for everyone, or are you an English major?

The House of Mirth is not one of my favorites.  I had to read it for a Women's Lit class my last quarter of college, and I basically blew through it because I so did not care by that point.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2007, 00:11 »

I saw an honest-to-god bearded lady yesterday. As in, a lady with a beard.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2007, 05:34 »

Dont quote the post above you please! That isnt looked upon nicely! Especially if its a large chunky post...

Seems interesting, the title really grabs me. But I cant seem to pry myself from browsing right now.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2007, 06:48 »

I saw an honest-to-god bearded lady yesterday. As in, a lady with a beard.
My fourth grade teacher had a pretty spectacular mustache. I don't think she liked it much.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2007, 07:49 »

I think what I want to say can be best said with the use of a metaphor. There is a courtroom. You, tehjiggles, are on trial for abuse. The victim here is the metaphor. It is now cowering in a corner, and the jury is fixing you with 12 very dirty looks.

Exhibit A:
Bertha does not find Lily's shaving kit, and as we know the beard, or Lily's born into lust for freedom, is responsible for the grease upon which she slips and falls.

I rest my case.

Way to stick it to the essay man, though, I guess.

Jposh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2007, 16:49 »

You, are amazing

For those of you who don't know, The House of Mirth has absolutely nothing to do with beards.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2007, 17:14 »

from the front page, i thought this thread was going to be called "the truth about bears"

my disapointment knows no bounds.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

muteKi

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2007, 18:57 »

In the book/TV forum? What did you expect, a review / analysis of I Am America (And So Can You!)?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2007, 09:00 »

that's not a bad idea, now that you mention it though...
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up