Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 07 Dec 2021, 19:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I actually like NYC Ghosts & Flowers  (Read 1239 times)

ScrambledGregs

I actually like NYC Ghosts & Flowers
« on: 21 Sep 2007, 17:43 »

Ever since Pitchfork gave the album a low score, I've been morbidly curious about Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers. It turns out that I like it. It's definitely not a great album, but it's at least interesting. I could do without the stupid beatnik poetry, but the sound of it as a pure aural experience is grand and reminds me a lot of bits of SYR3, particularly in the more calm, noise-but-not-feedback moments of clarity.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Re: I actually like NYC Ghosts & Flowers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2007, 17:56 »

I like it as well, although i don't think I'd reach and put it on on a whim.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2007, 01:42 »

I really can't listen to anything post 'Sister' any more.

I actually have a playlist on my iPod that is all of the Sonic Youth albums up to 'Daydream Nation' and then it immediately starts on the first Blonde Redhead record. The transition is almost seamless.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Spinless

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2007, 04:56 »

post Sister isn't bad at all. sure, almost every album after that point had a fair few stinkers, but you also got some of the best youth songs ever written back in the 90s. I never began to appreciate Lee until I reached 90s Sonic Youth, it was about here that I realised he writes all the best songs.

there is also not a single bad song on the album 'Sonic Nurse', which outside of the 80s material has to be my favourite sonic youth album as a whole.

making a playlist of all the good sonic youth songs doesn't sound like too bad an idea!
when my mactop is fixed...

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2007, 06:10 »

I don't think Lee was a particularly good songwriter earlier on. Between 1981-87 (which is indisputably when they were making their best music) how many of his songs actually made it onto a record? I can think of three -

"Lee is Free" - Noise Collage.
"In the Kingdom #19" - Nice track in the context of the album but not actually what you'd call a song, since it is just a poem being read over an instrumental.
"Pipeline/Kill Time" - His first real song. Good track.

Don't get me wrong, Lee is an excellent arranger and a great guitarist but because his songs were few and far between early on, he will always be considered a distant third in the songwriting stakes.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2007, 07:22 »

I would have to go listen to their early period, but I've only heard their post-Daydream releases and I like them a hell of a lot. Even latter day ones like Rather Ripped and Murray Street are really fucking good.

Spinless

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2007, 08:09 »

rather ripped is fun, I really liked it. but it's 1/10th of the album that Sonic Nurse was in my opinion. something about the way it's produced I think.

as for pre-DDN sonic youth goes, I think evol is where it's at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up