THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Runaways  (Read 12287 times)

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
Runaways
« on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:04 »

A friend of mine has been reading the comic series Runaways.  He told me that it was an original Joss Whedon creation, but, upon looking it up, I found that it was actually Brian K. Vaughn, and Joss is only doing 6 issues.  After that, Terry Moore is taking over the writing.  Now, everything Joss touches turns to gold, so I have little doubt I'll enjoy at least his portion, but there are 24 before that to catch up on.  I know Vaughn from Ex Machina, which I haven't finished, but enjoyed the beginning of.  I don't know Terry Moore, though (Strangers in Paradise?).

So, my question is, has anybody kept up with Runaways?  Is it worth reading?  Baring that, is anyone familiar enough with Vaughn's and/or Terry Moore's work to say whether or not it would be worth reading?  I don't want to get involved in a series, only to find out that it sucks later on.
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: Runaways
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:46 »

I read the first cummulative volume (like 6 issues or so), LOVED IT! From what I rememeber (it's been a while, like two years), the storyline was basically that these kids who don't really like each very much to start with, their parents are part of a super-villian group. So, they (get this...) runaway to use their powers for good, 'cause their parents want to force them into their villians ways (or thats what i got from it anyway).

I want to get the big volume with the first like...20 issues or whatever, but it's only in hardcover and therfore like $40, which my Mother would -kill- me for buying... She has yet to find out that i spent like $70 on manga and a Boondocks collection, ack.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2007, 12:25 »

Read more Joss Whedon Marvel work and you'll learn that not everything he touches is gold. The man cannot keep to a fucking deadline and tends to spin his wheels after a handful of issues (I.E. Astonishing X-Men, the first arc was fantastic, but it's been one big mess since).

That said, there's actually forty-two prior issues of Runaways to be caught up on. There was the eighteen issue first volume followed by the twenty-four issue second, both of which were absolutely brilliant.

What BKV did with the title was brilliant and definitely worth a read. The jury's still out on Whedon as he's only actually managed to get out three issues since he came on board way back in April (The first and second issues came out in April and May with a lag time of August for the third, the fourth is nowhere in sight as yet). The story reads pretty well, but it's been so slow moving and horribly delayed that I'm hard pressed to really even care anymore (Which is sad as I love these characters).
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2007, 13:02 »

I'm not really familiar with Joss' comic work... only his TV/ film stuff, so, perhaps you're right.  How many issues are in collected volumes?  all of Vaughn's stuff?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2007, 13:34 »

Yes, all of Vaughn's stuff has been collected, be it in Hardcover or "Digest" format.

There are three hardcovers, Volume 1 in its entirety is $35 then hardcovers comprising #1-2 and 13-24 for $25 a piece, bringing it to $85 for the duration of Vaughn's run.

There are seven "digests at $7.99 a piece and collecting six issues each bringing it to $56 total. The digests are a smaller, "manga-sized" edition on lower quality paper, but the cost-decrease and portability can be nice.

The hardcovers are full sized with better quality paper. If you're into collecting and want the definitive best version, go for hardcover. If you just want to read them for the sake of reading, go with the digest editions.

Make sure you go in order and start from the beginning. There are many plot twists and a few major turning points that you won't want spoiled by skipping ahead.

Also, if you enjoy Runaways, I strongly recommend looking into Y: The Last Man, a Vertigo title also done by Vaughn. Of his three big books (Y, Deus and Runaways), I'd have to say it's his best work. They've collected up through issue 54 in 9 $15 paperbacks. The last paperback will likely be out in early 2008 as there's only two issues left to the series (#60 is the last installment and $58 just came out a couple weeks ago).
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2007, 13:40 by 0bsessions »
JON MADE ME GAY

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2007, 13:52 »

wow, prices and everything!  very helpful, thanks!

yeah, i've looked into Y.  Looks like it's worth a read.  I'll probably pick up at least a couple digest copies of runaways today after work... don't know if i wanna spend 60 bucks in one go...

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2007, 18:56 »

I took the first hardback volume out of my library recently, just because I'd read some of Vaughan's previous work (Y: The Last Man) and was just excited that my library had started stocking comics.
This, at first, came off as another teenage superhero comic, which it is, but it isn't akin to its predecessors in any other way.
The character development is really something, and teenage angst is hit on the head, while at the same time preventing itself from looking completely ridiculous, because everyone was like this at some point in time, or should have been.
The story is a great idea well executed, which is probably what gives the whole thing the most pleasing flavor to me though.
All in all, worth the read. Of course, I'm not ready to buy it, I like Fables and The Walking Dead more.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2007, 07:01 »

i bought the first three volumes... so far, i'm not terribly impressed.  i mean, it's entertaining, but seems a little young for me.  doesn't really blow me out of the water.  granted, i'm not that far yet, so i'll give it a fighting chance.

SeanBateman

« Reply #8 on: 05 Oct 2007, 09:17 »

Runaways is what the X-men should be. It's a complete throwback to the original teenage superheros, only instead of professor x, they have a dinosaur and a crazy ass book. It's really some of the best comic book writing in years.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #9 on: 05 Oct 2007, 10:24 »

i've read more now, and it's getting better, but it's not holding my attention like i hoped it would.  i don't feel like i HAVE to keep reading. i could put it down at any moment.  i'm still getting through a lot of exposition and charecter development, so we'll see.

Wink

« Reply #10 on: 05 Oct 2007, 15:34 »

it is a great comic book. BKV shits golden letters.

TheEternalN00b

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2007, 06:41 »

Since you also asked about Terry Moore I'm going to tell you to go read Strangers in Paradise. Its long. Oh so very long and as you read, you will become more and more excited by that fact. This is the first comic ever that actually made me cry. These people are so real. And the artwork is just perfect for who the characters are. And even more exciting, Moore actually changes what his characters look like through time. One character, Francine, is constantly yo-yoing up and down in weight. This really comes through in the drawings.
I cannot recommend SiP strongly enough. It's not for everyone, I think. It's heavy, and it's more about feelings and emotional development, or lack thereof in people, but it is certainly worth a look even if you aren't usually into that kind of thing.

mella

« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2008, 06:08 »

You must go ahed: read it!
I already ordered last TPB, but I'm waiting... It's the one Marverl series I continue to read!

roulettescars

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2008, 17:42 »

I've only read the vaughn books, but they were amazing.

Aceandcups

« Reply #14 on: 01 Apr 2008, 16:15 »

Runaways has a lot going for it - though it takes a while to get to anything really earth shattering, but I chalk that up to a good building up rhythm. Some of Vaughn's other work, like Pride of Baghdad, is by far one of the more quicker, easier to digest and much more satisfying books that he's done. Other than Y the Last Man, Deus Ex Machina is a bit boring - it takes these long expositions into politics that either interest me right away or slow down the plot.

I'd have to say that Runaways gets its feet planted firmly later on in the series, when the first arch completes.

DanteShepherd

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:53 »

Thank God Joss finally finished his arc - he cannot keep to a deadline no matter what project he seems to be working on.

That being said, I've seen the cover for Moore's first issue, and the dropoff in quality is so stark its startling.  Plus, the Runaways are being forced into another crossover storyline, which is weird because they are basically the anti-superhero team.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:16 »

Apparently you've never heard the expression "never judge a book by its cover."

Humberto Ramos, while a bit quirky, is absolutely perfect for a book like Runaways. Personally, I can't wait to get an iteration of this title that's on some semblance of a timely schedule. I am sick to fucking death of Whedon, at this point.
JON MADE ME GAY

Illumilatte

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2008, 13:52 »

I'll have to check out Runaways sometime...perhaps I can find a friend who has it. Right now I'm reading through Fables, which is probably my favorite. Also, Y: The last Man book 10(the last one) comes out July 1st :) Woo.

DanteShepherd

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2008, 07:02 »

Hey, I know we shouldn't judge books that way, but that's what drove Whedon to pick up issue #1 of Runaways and made him a fan.  Maybe I'm just disappointed that we don't have Alphona's work anymore?  The contrast in style is just a little . . . overpowering.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2008, 07:28 »

We haven't had Alphona in over a year. Michael Ryan's been doing the art chores for Whedon's run.

As far as Whedon becoming a fan, in all honesty, I wish it never happened. The guy's a hack when it comes to comics. It took him over a year to put out six issues of Runaways and his story was easily the worst arc so far of the title. I'm excited to finally get some new blood on it.
JON MADE ME GAY

DanteShepherd

« Reply #20 on: 01 Jul 2008, 08:17 »

Again - aware that Alphona's been gone for so long, but we kind of knew that this would just be a six issue run (even if it did take a year) with Alphona's replacement, right?  So I think we can still compare the new team to the original.

And you're completely right about Whedon - Astonishing X-Men took forever to finish, so he kind of kills how they fit into any continuity placing.  It'd be one thing if it was the artist's fault, but with how long it takes on everything he does, you have to point at the writer.

gargoylekitty

« Reply #21 on: 09 Jul 2008, 01:28 »

Runaways is definately good, though I'm so glad Joss's run is over with as it was long and painful. Over a year to get our 6 issues, wtf. Looking forward to what Moore does with it as the man's good at writing relationships and young people though the accompanying art for his run I'm not too keen on.

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 2008, 08:29 »

He is just SO. SLOW. with other people's creations.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:04 »

He finally finished his run?... Thank fucking christ.

I'm actually surprised there's a contingent who likes Runaways since the only friend I have to talk comics with reads just about everything under the sun BUT the "young superhero" Marvel comics (meaning Runaways, Young Avengers, the bad X-Men spin offs, etc.).

I'll agree with the earlier post that it gets better after the third arc, although quite honestly I've begun to completely dislike Chase as a character (although, at points, I suppose that's the desired effect) and it doesn't help that [SPOILER ALERT !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!!] Runaways' teenage equivalent of Faye isn't around anymore (I know it's been a while, but goddamn she left a huge black hole... why couldn't the blonde have died instead?... Well, actually, that probably would have been worse since Marvel has a habit of killing off homosexual characters) but I am looking forward to Alex coming back into the storyline which I believe ought to happen sometime in the future.

Latte

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:12 »

I guess I just want to throw my weight behind the general consensus and say it is at least worth checking out.

I personally came to the title when I heard Josh Middleton doing some work in a couple issues, especially when the gang comes up against...  some old runaways shall we say.

Honestly it makes me want to check out New Mutants and Academy X and whatnot, mainly since I've heard JM doing stuff for New Mutants as well, although I don't know how good those titles actually are.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2008, 09:17 »

Depends on your tastes and which incarnation. The new New Mutants title, I dug. I dug it straight through until they changed writers after House of M. I hated it for a while, but then it got back on track right before being canceled.
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: [1]   Go Up