THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 92666 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: Mass Effect
« Reply #150 on: 30 Nov 2007, 20:43 »

Yeah, that Luna base mission is a tough one. I'm gonna try running it tech-heavy next time and see if that makes it any easier.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #151 on: 01 Dec 2007, 00:54 »

It's probably the hardest fight in the game, especially the third site. The rocket drones will one-hit kill you. As a sentinel, I found the best option was to have your team hang back in the first room you enter, and then try and lure as many drones as you can into the hallway between the main area and the first room. They pack pretty tight, so you can use overload and sabotage and turn a good number of them into sitting ducks. From there just have your team hit them with the most powerful weapon they have. Biotic powers don't seem to do much.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #152 on: 01 Dec 2007, 01:29 »

Oh my god I hated the Luna base so much. Although getting the the specialized class was pretty cool. I went Shock Trooper because I used shotguns and assault rifles instead of pistols and sniper rifles.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ackblom12

« Reply #153 on: 01 Dec 2007, 12:05 »

I actually found the Luna base easy as hell. of course I was a Engineer with all of the AOE attacks, recharge times and the like all near maxed. I'm kinda dreading going through that area with my Soldier.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #154 on: 01 Dec 2007, 16:07 »

Does anybody have any references re: a PC port? I was pretty sure I had read a quote from a Bioware guy here or somewhere else that the game wouldn't receive one.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #155 on: 01 Dec 2007, 16:41 »

BioWare has stated repeatedly that they have no plan to make a PC port. Of course, that doesn't mean anything (MGS4, anyone?), but if they're really trying to finish the trilogy within the 360's lifespan, they're gonna have to work on a 2-year cycle at least, and that's not going to happen if they have to split up the teams to ports. It'll be interesting to see how the EA acquisition affects the platforms this game will reach. I think it'll be a good measurement of whether EA will really be hands-off with them, because since it's on UE3 this game, which already has technical issues, would no doubt take forever to get working on the PS3.

ackblom12

« Reply #156 on: 01 Dec 2007, 17:09 »

I just started a Spacer/Ruthless Soldier. I have not had this much fun being an asshole in a game ever. It makes me hope a lot that they do a serious overhaul on KOTOR III's Darkside/Lightside system.

When I'm trying to decide if I wanna be Good or Evil, there has to be an option other than "Save the villagers and kiss babies/Rape their pets and burn the villagers alive."

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #157 on: 02 Dec 2007, 10:11 »

I actually found the Luna base easy as hell. of course I was a Engineer with all of the AOE attacks, recharge times and the like all near maxed. I'm kinda dreading going through that area with my Soldier.

The secret to doing it as a soldier is to have the Spectre-class assault rifle. That fucker fires something like 60 shots before overheating. It's basically a squad assault weapon. SO worth selling everything you own to get one as early as possible.

You basically just stand in the hallway entrance and spray the doorway.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

ackblom12

« Reply #158 on: 02 Dec 2007, 11:40 »

Exxxxxxcellent. I'll acquire the Assault Rifle as soon as possible.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #159 on: 02 Dec 2007, 11:46 »

The best part is when you get the Frictionless Materials weapon mod on Virmire for the first time, install it on that weapon, and realize you can basically hold the trigger button down until everything in the room is dead and it won't overheat.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #160 on: 05 Dec 2007, 03:22 »

Luna base was not hard at all you pansies. I didn't use Spectre weapons or anything. I just let Wrex and Tali take all of the rockets while I picked the jerks off from the end of the hallway.

Also, Something Awful's Mass Effect article is kinda good, but I love the review because it basically sums up my experience thus far:

I really wanted to give it a ten because it's pretty much the game I've always wanted, but my squadmates ran in front of me and blocked the "1" and "0" keys after I told them to stay behind cover. 9/10

I will be playing one of the best games I've ever played and then line up a perfect headshot with my sniper rifle only to find it hit Wrex's ass as ten merc biotics rush in to toss me around and I couldn't see a goddamn thing coming and it is frustrating.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #161 on: 05 Dec 2007, 17:13 »

The best part is when you get the Frictionless Materials weapon mod on Virmire for the first time, install it on that weapon, and realize you can basically hold the trigger button down until everything in the room is dead and it won't overheat.

Oh jesus god yes

And Ozy I haven't noticed many problems with the AI! But that is probably because I tend to be in front of my teammates doing most of the shooting. Next playthrough I'm rolling as a Soldier with Tali and whatserface Asari chick.

Meta

« Reply #162 on: 05 Dec 2007, 22:43 »

I'm having a blast playing through with the Infiltrator class with a commando subset. I've barely even gotten into the storyline yet, I've just been going on a million goddamn side quests.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #163 on: 05 Dec 2007, 23:42 »

god damn Luna was hard for me, though I took some satisfaction from trapping the rocket robots in the corridor making them shoot themselves

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #164 on: 06 Dec 2007, 15:28 »

I found the luna station easy. But I did it my second time through. I just ran around the room while Tali and Garrus distracted them, shooting em in the back with my uber charged shotgun.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #165 on: 06 Dec 2007, 16:56 »

Everything is easy when you go through again with one character. Especially if you're playing below hardcore difficulty, then nothing scales and you one-hit kill just about everything.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

The Cheesinator

• Plantmonster
« Reply #166 on: 06 Dec 2007, 17:29 »

i love this game like a son. i don't actually own an xbox, but many of my friends do, and i heartily enjoy playing it, even though i never get very far. huzzah for Mass Effect!
This calls for a thumbs up.

ackblom12

« Reply #167 on: 06 Dec 2007, 17:49 »

I started my Hardcore difficulty game, and I'm pretty interested in how goddamn hard the Insane difficulty will be. I can see some of the bosses just being monstrous.

ackblom12

« Reply #168 on: 07 Dec 2007, 23:23 »

I have discovered a new joy in the game. Use Lift on an enemy in an outdoor environment, and then use a fully leveled Throw attack. I've tossed people hundreds of feet over a cliff with great joy.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #169 on: 08 Dec 2007, 13:25 »

I love just using a fully-leveled Lift on people outdoors. They go up, and up, and up.....

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #170 on: 08 Dec 2007, 14:10 »

I need help. I'm stuck at the part after you rescue Liara and a bunch of geth and some other alien dude ambush you. I seem to die pretty quickly no matter what I do, even when I set it to casual. Also, how do you melee attack?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #171 on: 08 Dec 2007, 15:11 »

Yeah, I had trouble with the Krogan.

I had my support disable and destroy his geth while I ran to the place where he enters. There's a good cover spot there to take to the rest of the geth and then I just used assassinate on the Krogan until he bit it.

It's probably a good idea to have done a few side quests before then to make sure you have Unity in addition to enough power to take him down, but I think most people go straight for Liara and hot alien boning.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Meta

« Reply #172 on: 08 Dec 2007, 15:48 »

You melee by just pulling the right trigger when you're right next to them. No science to it or anything along those lines. I didn't get around to getting Liara until after I killed -----(spoiler omitted)----, lul.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #173 on: 08 Dec 2007, 16:01 »

I have discovered a new joy in the game. Use Lift on an enemy in an outdoor environment, and then use a fully leveled Throw attack. I've tossed people hundreds of feet over a cliff with great joy.
If you don't have access / don't usually use biotics, this can also be simulated by hitting things with the MAKO at full speed. Sometimes the corpses will get stuck on the MAKO's geometry and you'll drag them around on the hood for awhile. It's fun.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #174 on: 08 Dec 2007, 20:52 »

Yeah, I think I went for Liara way too early in the game. I just might start over...again.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #175 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:59 »

Nope, you can do it right away without too much trouble.

The trick is to immediately run for where the Krogan enters and take cover behind the big crate on the right side. You can shoot just about everybody from there with minimal exposure.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #176 on: 09 Dec 2007, 19:24 »

I went for Liara right away, not actually knowing it was a major plot point.  The fight was pretty hard, but on the third try my team had the Krogan behind cover for most of the fight, killed all the geth, took the sniper's position behind the box.  At that point the Krogan charged us, running quickly to his death

sanyo

« Reply #177 on: 10 Dec 2007, 13:31 »

I just finished getting Liara and it was the first of the three main quests I did. I ended up running around shooting the Geth while my squad dampened and sabotaged them, and then flanked and took out the Krogan. Pretty easy, but then again I did pretty much all the side quests at the Citadel before I left.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #178 on: 10 Dec 2007, 14:04 »

The second playthrough really breaks the difficulty curve, I think. I had the Spectre master assault rifle (for my adept character, it's worth mentioning) by halfway through Feros. Still, I'm enjoying plowing through everything and just being a general dick. Except that I think it's a testament to how good the dialog system is in this game that I sometimes don't want to choose the renegade option unless I'm sure it will actually lead to getting renegade points.

ackblom12

« Reply #179 on: 10 Dec 2007, 16:54 »

Just wait till you get to Insane Difficulty. The mini-bosses and bosses will rape you in several different positions.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #180 on: 10 Dec 2007, 18:47 »

I actually have way more fun with the broken difficulty.

I'm on my THIRD(!) playthrough now. Started up a new character and basically just churned through side-quests and geth-shooting until I could afford the Spectre weapons. Now I am unstoppable.

Incidentally, there really is nothing funnier than going to shoot an enemy only to have Liara hit them with a fully-leveled Throw which sends them flying sixty feet through the air to splatter on the back wall. Running over Geth at full speed in the Mako comes close, and some of the elevator dialogue (especially the Wrex/Tali and Tali/Liara combinations) comes close as well.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #181 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:05 »

I love Wrex/Tali convos.

Wrex: Do your people ever talk about how you created the Geth, nearly destroyed your species, and put the entire galaxy at risk?
Tali: Do your people ever talk about how you declared war on the galaxy and had to be driven to near extinction to be stopped?
Wrex: All the time...
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #182 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:07 »

Dang, I used Garrus and Liara my first playthrough, and this time I'm using Ashley and Tali. I haven't gotten anything particularly funny from those combinations.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #183 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:24 »

My favorite is the Liara/Tali convo:

Tali: Considering your interest in Prothean ruins, Liara, these missions must seem like a survey to you!
Liara: I would prefer longer studies...and fewer explosions.
Tali: Yes, every piece of technology I had hoped to bring back to the flotilla has subsequently tried to kill us.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #184 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:23 »

I actually really like the renegade options so far.  I'm still on Eden Prime, 2nd playthrough, minus good weapons, Hardcore difficulty.  And I knocked Manuel the fuck out.  She just saunters up to him slowly, says "Night, Manuel", and socks him in the jaw.  It was delicious.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #185 on: 10 Dec 2007, 21:23 »

So has anybody gotten the achievements for using a party member through the majority of the game? I'm interested, because it seems like most of the achievements have tangible benefits for gameplay (smart move on Bioware's part) and I wonder what the party member achievements do.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2007, 01:52 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #186 on: 10 Dec 2007, 21:29 »

I got the one for Garrus, but I'll have to check and see what it does.

Hm, apparently it reduces the recharge time for Damping and Overload by 10%. That just makes me wish I had done a few more missions and gotten the one for Liara now that I'm playing an adept character.

ackblom12

« Reply #187 on: 11 Dec 2007, 01:31 »

Getting the one for Liara is rather difficult I found. You Quite literally have to do no quests (outside of the required ones) whatsoever until you get her. I found that I couldn't get it at all after doing everything my 2nd playthrough.

I'm on my 3rd play through (on Insane) and I'll eventually get back to her. I'm going for Tali/Ashley this play through.

Westrunner

« Reply #188 on: 11 Dec 2007, 10:30 »

That's Effing Terrible about Liara's achievement. I just got the Garrus achievement and I'm at the endmission now. Fuck.

I remember looking at the achievements and thinking "I am going to have to play this game into the ground." And now I want to, infinite replayability.

So is it settled that it is easier to use a pre-existing character (I have a fully loaded 58) than to start a new character for the harder difficulties?

ackblom12

« Reply #189 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:16 »

You have to start a new character for the harder difficulties if you want the achievement. I doesn't give you the option of changing the difficulty before you start the game, and part of the condition is you never change the difficulty during gameplay.

It's allowed me to play each full class into the ground to get all the goddamn achievements for skills.

Also, it's pretty damn neat seeing how big of a gameplay difference it is between classes. Until later when your shields are monstrous no matter what class you are.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #190 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:30 »

Actually, as long as you set the difficulty to something harder before you finish Eden Prime, it counts.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #191 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:54 »

Strangely it never occurred to me to even try that. Oh well, I needs all of my achievements anyways.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #192 on: 11 Dec 2007, 13:40 »

I think the achievements are cool and all, but I'm not sure if I'm going to play through the game as many times as it would require to get them all. I love the game to death, but I can't see myself dumping all that time just for a number on my gamertag.

And that's as someone who has way more points than you.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #193 on: 11 Dec 2007, 13:59 »

agreed. i'm the type of person to play a game a million times just to get all the achievments but even i can't see myself playing through this game that many times. at least not right away...maybe later on i'll come back to it but for now...two is enough. i still have to collect all those stupid flags from Assassin's Creed.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

ackblom12

« Reply #194 on: 11 Dec 2007, 20:07 »

I don't really play games for achievements, I just don't normally have the patience for it. Dead Rising and Crackdown are two examples of games I would never be able to bother getting all of the achievements on them just because they are so ridiculous.

This game though... I'm on my 3rd play through and I'm not bored of it in any way whatsoever. It's one of 4 or 5 games I can say that about (BGII, Fallout 1&2 among them) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Just switching between it, Psychonauts and Catan for a while should get me a ridiculous number of full game completions and 3 - 5 Saved games ready for the sequel an the Ex Packs that will be available later.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #195 on: 11 Dec 2007, 20:12 »

my third playthrough is so fun now that I discovered you can fast-forward through conversations with the X button

Meta

« Reply #196 on: 12 Dec 2007, 09:11 »

Heh, I found the x button pretty fast. Turn on the subtitles and read it.

I can't wait to play my 360 again. ;_;

ackblom12

« Reply #197 on: 16 Dec 2007, 22:44 »

Matriarch Benezia is a whole new kinda fun when you roll a new Adept on Insane difficulty. It's like shoving nettles up your dick.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #198 on: 17 Dec 2007, 03:48 »

see now that is not my idea of "fun"

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #199 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:31 »

Is anyone reading the book?
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up