THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 91008 times)

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Mass Effect
« Reply #50 on: 20 Nov 2007, 21:29 »

SHINY RED SHOTGUN

Well, I'm sold.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 20 Nov 2007, 21:42 »

um....how do I heal my teamates?

by far my favorite character is Wrex, space turtle killed a fucker in cold blood even after he surrendered
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 21:45 by Blue Kitty »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #52 on: 20 Nov 2007, 21:53 »

I only got to play an hour and a half, and that's probably all I'll get to play until Friday after work, but here's what I've got to say:

1:  In the grand scheme of things, the graphical issues (clipping, texture-loading, frame-rate dips) really don't make a difference.  When you see a Thresher Maw for the first time, and realize that sucker is being rendered at a distance that is too close for someone who's running around on foot with a pistol, you'll probably shit your pants.  

2:  I second the audio being top-notch...this shit is amazing.

3:  They have ridiculous amounts of backstory and information in the Codex, with large portions of it being voiced over.  That alone is an astounding achievement.

4:  Even though you get no tutorial, half the fun is figuring out what you can and can't do.  *Oh shit!  Explosive barrels!*

5:  THE FUCKING CITADEL IS AWESOME, in the literal sense of the word, as well as the "I'm too stoned for this, dude" definition.

6:  I love equipment.

7:  I have no idea what the story is behind what they've already told us (and the prequel novel, which I read, and has little to do character-wise with the game (oh my god, I actually typed in film and then backspaced it out and rewrote that)), but just the alien races are just so cool (the Elcor are awesome).  

8:  I seriously doubt that I've had that much fun in that short of a time, ever.

And you press Y to heal your teammates, it's the button MediGel is assigned to.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #53 on: 20 Nov 2007, 23:09 »

Oh god yes I love the space turtles and the space elephants with depression

space depression
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #54 on: 20 Nov 2007, 23:27 »

Provided I don't get mugged on my way to the airport I will be playing this game in less than 24 hours!

Hasdfkhlaskjdflasdfk want to play nowwwwww
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ackblom12

« Reply #55 on: 20 Nov 2007, 23:32 »

I'm playing a straight engineer right now, and I'm finding I'm not using many actual skills other than a seriously leveled First Aid. Anyone trying out the Adept or Vanguard that might be able to tell me if the skills are any more interesting than HUGE nade explosions? Or do I just need to roll Soldier.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #56 on: 20 Nov 2007, 23:39 »

Haven't used the Vanguard skills much.

Throw would be a lot more useful if you didn't have to have someone directly in your crosshairs and THEN select the skill.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 20 Nov 2007, 23:42 »

space elephants with depression

fuck yes, every time I talk to them all I can think about is Eeyore

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #58 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:35 »

Why is using a grenade the back button?

What sort of sense does this make?

NONE.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #59 on: 21 Nov 2007, 03:14 »

Okay I think I just ran into a brick wall.

I'm running around on this planet looking for a scientist when all of a sudden this weird chameleon robot thing jumps down, and a whole bunch of troopers run in along with a FRIGGIN WALKER.

I run behind cover to try and take them on, only to have the chameleon fucker jump all over the place and one-shot kill me. Over and over again.

Goddamnit!

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #60 on: 21 Nov 2007, 05:06 »

That sounds like fun.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #61 on: 21 Nov 2007, 11:15 »

Got past it this morning.

From what I can tell, the key to combat in this game is finding the appropriate piece of cover. There seems to be one spot in each encounter where if you duck behind it you're safe. Everywhere else will just get you shot.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #62 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:03 »

You can map your throw skill to the back button I believe...

Yes, the controls are god awful, Mainly, the X to draw your button out and B to holster it... Couldnt you just hold down B if you holster your weapon and tap it to change weapons?
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #63 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:55 »

i think you guys convinced me to buy this today. it was a toss-up between Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4. i think it's gott be Mass Effect.

thanks internet!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #64 on: 21 Nov 2007, 13:10 »

I liked CoD4 better. =P But granted, I'm 2 hours into Mass Effect and about 25 hours into CoD.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #65 on: 21 Nov 2007, 13:27 »

Not to steal Mass Effect's limelight, but they're both definitely worth purchasing a 360 for.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: 21 Nov 2007, 14:36 »

I got shieldzorz today!
My gripes with the game are kind of done, the R1 (I was bred on the PS2) menu is getting easier to handle.

I still despise the Character Creation system... The next Mass Effect should make the tools better. I.E background info on your character, more face/hair options.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #67 on: 21 Nov 2007, 16:30 »

God I'm such a dork for talking about a video game this much on the internet.

Messed around with Vanguard abilities some more today. Throw is actually pretty useful in firefights- it does damage, but more importantly it knocks people over, giving you more breathing room to heal/cool down/shoot them some more. The Vanguard (or is it a Spectre? I forget) resurrection ability has saved my ass many, many times already.

Shield bonuses seem to be the most useful armor upgrades. Ammo upgrades can make a huge difference in a fight- armor piercing rounds really tear through robots, and anti-personnel rounds chew up squishy folks.

ackblom12

« Reply #68 on: 21 Nov 2007, 17:12 »

I'm rerolling either as Vanguard or a Soldier tonight. Mistress Shephard will whip the pathetic synthetics into submission.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: 21 Nov 2007, 18:16 »

Dude, the shield thingy vanguard power is so tight. I put that on, equip my shotgun. and sprint in, pwning some bitches.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #70 on: 21 Nov 2007, 20:37 »

If you try to use throw on a gasbag, they just pop.  Which is fun to do.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #71 on: 21 Nov 2007, 20:56 »

Quote from: Mass Effect FAQ
Chris Priestly: Mass Effect is planned as an Xbox 360 exclusive title. This means we are not working on a PC version and have no plans to start making one.

Fuck this shit!
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #72 on: 21 Nov 2007, 22:16 »

Woah, calm down.  How else do you expect them to finish the trilogy in 5-6 years?

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #73 on: 21 Nov 2007, 23:13 »

Halo managed it. Admittedly RPGs require a fair bit more work with scripting and recording than a FPS. But still I was really wanting to play this game but apparently I'm not going to be able to. There's no way I'm buying a 360 just for this. 
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 21 Nov 2007, 23:23 »

Why not get some of the five million other games that are awesome that don't get PC ports? Or the games that have clearly superior console versions? Are you really going to wait to play Assassin's Creed with a keyboard and mouse?

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #75 on: 21 Nov 2007, 23:40 »

I probably worded that last bit wrong. I was more meaning: I can't afford/not allowed a console at the moment, and even if I could I'd probably get a Wii.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 23:53 by axerton »

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:38 »

just got into the game this morning. bioware absolutely rules. the entire game has a real 80s sci-fi feel to it, especially the background tracks.

i don't think i'm gonna be playing any other game any time soon.
-hack-
Duckman: Did I ever tell you my Dad's last words to me?
Cornfed: "Careful, son, I don't think the safety is on."
Duckman: Before that!

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #77 on: 22 Nov 2007, 06:51 »

I'm assuming that since you can't afford a 360/not allowed, your computer probably wouldn't run Mass Effect anyway. Assuming they did hand it off to Obsidian to port, are you sure you'd want that?  As it is, they'd have to majorly rework the interface, and it wouldn't be as wieldy as the console version because of it's Full Spectrum Warrior-like nature.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #78 on: 22 Nov 2007, 07:10 »

Is it just me, or are the alien races FAR more cooler then the humans. I want to be them not my overly butch Bjork.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #79 on: 22 Nov 2007, 14:48 »

I went through the game as a Vanguard. Like Jeph, I initially relied on my soldier skills, but as the game went on the biotic powers became more useful, particularly the Barrier power, which gives you a bit of an edge in a firefight.

I beat the game last night with about 20 hours clocked in all told. It would've been at least 32, but I unwittingly initiated the mission that kicks the endgame into action (hint - It's the one the council gives you) and as a result there were at least 12 sidequests that I never went through. I'm going through again as a Sentinel, and it will probably take some time to collect my thought and give a more uniform assessment, but I'll do my best here.

The game as a whole seems to be a continuation of the Jade Empire design philosophy. That is to say, Bioware's focus seems to be on making gameplay more "visceral" and immediate, which I think is a mistake, but I digress. They've worked hard on a (relatively functional) real time combat system and built the game primarily around that. It's more complex and more satisfying than JE, but it still feels off. Dialogue and characterization were typical Bioware, which is to say, above average, but there isn't a lot of progress, all things considered.

I actually think the dialogue system is sort of a step down. At times it's an outright con job. Since the game lacks consistent autosaving and I sometimes forget to save manually, on those occassions when I stumble into combat and get hit with a rocket I usually have to retrace my steps back through some dialogue, and I try and mix it up a little. What I've found is that in a lot of the dialogues there are really only 1 or 2 options, when there isn't a charm / intimidate opportunity. On those occassions when there are 2 given options (right and left) they are exactly the same. So you've got angry and conciliatory. The top two options on the right are conciliatory, and the bottom is the angry one.

I'm no Codexian, but I was still disappointed with the whole "consequences" thing. There are situations in which it seems like your choices might actually have ramifications down the road for the game, particularly the choice given after tracking down the Asari matriarch, but aside from what the Council says to you immediately afterward there's no real effect on the game at all. It's pretty anticlimactic given how important every fuckin' NPC makes it sound. There is one choice that has ramifications for your group and one situation that requires a high dialogue skill to keep one of your teammates from turning on you, but they're more or less part of the endgame. When I beat the game it seemed as though the 4 different endings were entirely dependent upon 2 dialogues you get before the end.

I had a lot of trouble with texture pop-in (damnable UE3) and dialogue that took place outside of the interface (elevator banter, triggered remarks, etc.) were nearly inaudible, although it may just be something with my surround setup. Other than that, technical presentation was highly agreeable.

So, all in all, Bioware remains where it was before. I hope the second iteration in the series varies the gameplay a bit along with the inevitable engine optimization, but that's all I can do, is hope. I never really bought the hype, so this game wasn't as big of a letdown for me as it was for other kids. 8/10.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2007, 20:24 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #80 on: 22 Nov 2007, 15:24 »

From a development standpoint,  I'm not surprised the multiple endings can be traced to certain conversations.  It's not easy creating conditionals for lots and lots of variables.  Heck, Bioshock only had 3 endings, and it was as simple as save all/save some/save none.  And the sheer amount of dialogue choices kind of have to be lumped into groups for the endings based on said choices to make sense. 

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #81 on: 22 Nov 2007, 15:58 »

There are a number of ways to handle multiple endings. The simplest and probably most satisfying way would be breaking it up into a slideshow ala Fallout or NWN2. You have short epilogues for every significant location and NPC, the content of which is determined by your actions. But Mass Effect is too linear for that. It looks like most if not all quests have a single outcome (although routes to that outcome may vary) and I expect most of the NPCs to show up in the sequels so Bioware may have deemed character epilogues unnecessary.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #82 on: 22 Nov 2007, 16:30 »

A lot of people think slideshow finales are lame, though.  You've been playing this moving, breathing game, and you're given a few stills and some dialogue as a reward?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #83 on: 22 Nov 2007, 20:06 »

Well, the game's got to end sometime. At some point it would be necessary to take the player out of the game, and whether through a cutscene or a slideshow, you ought to get some kind of perspective. I would personally find a slideshow preferable to the abrupt ending that you get with ME, where the Normandy flies into the distance in grand Star Trek tradition and the credits roll.

Like I said, it might just be because ME is the first of three games, but it still would've been more satisfying to at least hear about how the few big decisions you do make (which I won't spoil) turn out, because they leave pretty big holes, and the "sacrifices" you make feel arbitrary outside of the situations in which you make them. It's not a very severe criticism, I expect Bioware to pull out all the stops with the third game at the least, but still, I don't think it's too much to ask that ME stand well on its own.

I'll have to wait patiently for the second game and see how adventurous they're willing to be with their formula. It remains to be seen whether or not Shepard will still be the protagonist or what (although ME certainly seems better suited for "epic level" play than, say, D&D) From the outset they've said that the entire Mass Effect trilogy will be designed for the 360 and released within the console's lifespan (hopefully that doesn't change with EA's recent acquisition) so I expect that they'll be improving upon and using the same assets for the sequels, which should cut down on development time considerably. Hopefully they'll have the first sequel out by '09. I'm going to make a tentative prediction and say it will have something to do with the hostile Terminus Systems or the "veil" behind which the Geth originate. But I will tire easily if they try to out-"epic" themselves, because Mass Effect may have been a little too "epic" for its own good.

We should see DLC out within the next few months, most likely extra clusters on the Galactic map. I hope they're more robust than the often generic-feeling exploration, assault and retrieval sidequests included in the game.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2007, 20:15 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #84 on: 22 Nov 2007, 20:17 »

Halo managed it. Admittedly RPGs require a fair bit more work with scripting and recording than a FPS. But still I was really wanting to play this game but apparently I'm not going to be able to. There's no way I'm buying a 360 just for this. 

Bungie didn't do the ports to PC, which took 3 years per game, and still didn't manage to complete the trilogy in the original XBox's life span, like Bioware is trying to do on the 360 with ME while making other games that are not ME.

What I'm basically saying is 'whatever'.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #85 on: 23 Nov 2007, 13:45 »

nice game, bioware.

now where's my freakin' Knights of the Old Republic III?!
-hack-
Duckman: Did I ever tell you my Dad's last words to me?
Cornfed: "Careful, son, I don't think the safety is on."
Duckman: Before that!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #86 on: 23 Nov 2007, 14:21 »

is anyone else as disapointed in the sniper rifle as i am? i mean...i've had opportunity to use it maybe three times so far and once was just those explodey-sack-balloon things at the VERY beginning of the game. i chose infiltrator because of the sniper rifle (and tech obviously) but so far it has proved mostly useless.
also; no holding your breath? what's that shit?

this game is still amazing though. i can't wait to beat it so i can play through with the other classes
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #87 on: 23 Nov 2007, 14:44 »

nice game, bioware.

now where's my freakin' Knights of the Old Republic III?!
I had heard a rumor that they were going to develop KOTOR3 but were holding off on an announcement until Mass Effect's release. Given that Lucasarts and Bioware recently announced they're working on a project, that's looking more likely.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #88 on: 23 Nov 2007, 15:09 »

I unwittingly initiated the mission that kicks the endgame into action (hint - It's the one the council gives you)

Is that the Virmire mission, or something after it?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #89 on: 23 Nov 2007, 15:29 »

I unwittingly initiated the mission that kicks the endgame into action (hint - It's the one the council gives you)

Is that the Virmire mission, or something after it?
It's the Virmire one. The one where you go after the Salarian spy team? Make sure you're satisfied with the amount of exploration / random questing you've done out in the galaxy. Although it is worth mentioning that when you beat the game, you can go back through it at the level you ended with and the game scales accordingly with its loot and difficulty (or lack thereof). It's what I'm doing at the moment.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2007, 15:37 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #90 on: 23 Nov 2007, 18:00 »

Man, fuck Matriarch Benezia

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #91 on: 23 Nov 2007, 18:08 »

Man, fuck Matriarch Benezia
I barely got through it with Ashley and Garrus as a Vanguard. You just have to find good point of cover from the Matriarch's biotic attacks that still allows you to wallop the geth and commandos that pour in.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #92 on: 24 Nov 2007, 00:06 »

I finally started my game earlier today. I like it a lot, but it's very reminiscent of KOTOR. That being said, it's probably some of the most well-realized fiction I've ever seen in a video game. They really went all out creating the backstory and the universe here, and it shows. It looks fantastic, but it's got pretty noticeable texture popping. I'm playing through as a soldier right now, and I was using Garrus and Wrex as my party, but I plan on swapping out Wrex for Liara, who I just saved before I stopped playing. Garrus will handle my tech skills and Liara the biotics. I suppose it would be a bit better for my team's balance if I used Tali instead of Garrus and had one pure class from each branch, but I like Garrus's skill set. I'm going paragon this playthrough, but I'm going to be a renegade adept my second playthrough and use Tali and Ashley as my party.

I'm using my shotguns and pistols until I can get an assault rifle with a decent accuracy rating. I've got more upgrades than I know what to do with, I need to sell some of them, or convert them to omni-gel.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #93 on: 24 Nov 2007, 02:14 »

What "background" is everyone using? I played through with a war hero spacer. Prominence of your origins is scant compared to that of your psych profile, which have their own sidequests and everything. It was a nice touch, though, having your character being initially recognized as war hero / last man standing / cutthroat asshole throughout the game. I was worried the backgrounds would be less than cosmetic.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #94 on: 24 Nov 2007, 02:17 »

I went war hero spacer too. Weird.

I started a game on my dad's 360 just to try it out a bit before I go home and play it for real. I'm really enjoying it. It's like Gears of War meats KotOR, which shouldn't be a good thing since I hate GoW, but it is good. I'm really, really enjoying the heck of cinematic dialogue system. I think Bioware really hit the nail on the head of what they're trying to do here, which is make an RPG that actually flows like a movie without sacrificing control for the player.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #95 on: 24 Nov 2007, 02:24 »

I did war hero colonist. I figured it was fitting considering my class selection.

The thing is, I really don't think it's much like Gears of War at all. I can see where the comparison comes from, but I don't really think it affects the gameplay unless you want it to. First of all, if you play it completely in real time like an action game, you're going to die. A lot. Secondly, the cover system is almost unnecessary for the most part: if you keep strafing you can dodge most of the enemy fire. Really, it's just like a slightly more action-oriented KOTOR without lightsabers.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 24 Nov 2007, 02:26 »

Huh.

Well, I've been playing it like Gears of War to great success.

I didn't even know there's a way to play it in non-real time besides stopping to use an ability.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #97 on: 24 Nov 2007, 02:55 »

I went Earthborn/Survivor

I think this is probably the first real time system I've played that still felt like it fit the RPG setting, and it's done it amazingly well, especially for a first attempt.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #98 on: 24 Nov 2007, 07:49 »

if you keep strafing you can dodge most of the enemy fire.

Wow that has not been my experience at ALL. Try popping out from cover on the Luna side-quests and you get mobbed by a dozen angry robots with missile launchers. Try popping out from cover when you're fighting decently-powerful biotics and they chew you up with Warp and Throw.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #99 on: 24 Nov 2007, 08:37 »

Yeah, I just beat the Matriarch last night after about 20 tries.  (I'm doing this on the second highest difficulty setting)  There was really no strategy that worked consistently for me, so I settled with going down the staircase to a corner, waiting for her to walk off the center platform in our direction, and shoot like mad with the shotgun while her commandos ran to us from behind her.  I used Barrier in there somewhere.  It somehow worked.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up