THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 09:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zombies and the many comics about them  (Read 10841 times)

hoonatron

Zombies and the many comics about them
« on: 19 Sep 2007, 12:28 »

Okay, so whats your favorite zombie comic? The wonderful world of marvel zombies is so fun and gruesome but i wonder how long it will last. I mean you can only do so much after

******SPOILER****

There are only what 6 marvel zombies left unless they do retrieve the golden frog from the black panther initiative comics.
***End*****

Oh but since its such a slow progressing comic i have now found myself onto The Walking Dead! Ah such a great survival story, i think this would be a great show if they ever tried to adapt it. It also puts out great ideas like turning into a zombie even if you werent biten by one. But it wouldnt be the violent RE style, hell it wouldn't even have to be all that scary, the author never intended for it to be like that. Just a story of how people are surviving the outbreak.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 14:19 by hoonatron »

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Zombies and the many comics about them
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2007, 13:42 »

Actually, the "turning whether bitten or not" thing is a Romero device, I believe. It showed up in Land of the Dead, at the least. I figure there's good odds it showed up elsewhere, even before that.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

hoonatron

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2007, 14:13 »

haha woops, yea damn, now i look pretty stupid. oh well, but thanks again, i still havent watched that movie yet but i probably should.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 14:15 by hoonatron »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2007, 15:58 »

land of the dead is terrible. it doesn't even deserve to be capitalized.

actually, after reading World War Z(novel) by Max Brooks all zombie movies seem terrible in comparison. even the good ones.

sorry this is off topic in two different respects but it seemed neccessary.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2007, 16:16 »

well, that goes without saying but land of the dead is terrible compared to every other zombie movie. and even more so compared to the writing of Max Brooks.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2007, 16:28 »

i recommend both World War Z and The Ultimate Zombie Survival Handbook. both are by Max Brooks (who is Mel Brooks' son, by the way. Weird).

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2007, 20:00 »

it will be or he will have to meet my friend mr. mini-bat and his wife mrs. crowbar

I really loved Marvel Zombies and I have bought damn near everything that has to do with it, including Ultimate Fantastic Four (where it all started), Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies, Marvel Zombies Dead Days, and even the new Black Panther series.  They are going to be making a Marvel Zombies 2, which I guess has to do with some sort of zombie civil war

I also really love Walking Dead, and have been buying every single collection I can get my hands on.  Hell, even my mom enjoys it, that has to say something.

hoonatron

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:25 »

True i should of put my first post in the newbie section, but i couldn't help myself. I will check out the newbie section anyways, but i haven't honestly talked to anyone about comics is such a long time. I was suffering from repressed oral zombie-itis, which sounds so wrong in some ways now that i say it again. I mean its not a meaningless post at least right? I just thought this deserved to be in the comic section instead of a general section.
I enjoy all talk about zombies and i consider comics and books to be on the same level. I read parts of ultimate zombie survival guide but never the whole thing. It is amazing i must say, but for some strange reason i dont want to buy it.

But while were on the topic of marvel zombies, what really blue kitty? I mean the only way i see a zombie civil war is if they connect parallel dimensions together somehow. Which if they do they can bring back captain america again. Heh, I had a discussion like this with my former local comic shop owner before. Heh parallel dimensions brings back so many possibilities.

Oh and did you read edition 42 of walking dead. I couldnt help myself when i saw it on oink. I live too far away from my comic store now and i have really bad patience, i buy it nonetheless but i have to wait till the weekends and i know shipments come out on wednesdays. If this turns into a back and forth conversation pm me so we dont flood the topic (see i do read the rules  :roll:).
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2007, 01:32 by hoonatron »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2007, 00:33 »

Oh but since its such a slow progressing comic i have now found myself onto The Walking Dead! Ah such a great survival story, i think this would be a great show if they ever tried to adapt it. It also puts out great ideas like turning into a zombie even if you werent biten by one. But it wouldnt be the violent RE style, hell it wouldn't even have to be all that scary, the author never intended for it to be like that. Just a story of how people are surviving the outbreak.

I borrowed a hardcover collection from the library. It's glorious.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2007, 19:08 »

http://imdb.com/title/tt0816711/
Guys, World War Z will soon be a movie. Hopefully.

DISCUSS IN CAPS.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Grimmy

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:30 »

it will be or he will have to meet my friend mr. mini-bar and his wife mrs. crowbat
Fixed because the idea of Drunken pokemon amuses the hell out of me.

Ash: I choooosssshh....you peeek......peeek.....hic....peeek.....i chhoooozzzz....you....squirtle....

heheh
PIka....BREW!!!!!

Grimmy
gotta drink em all!!!

Jopon

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2007, 16:20 »

land of the dead is terrible. it doesn't even deserve to be capitalized.

actually, after reading World War Z(novel) by Max Brooks all zombie movies seem terrible in comparison. even the good ones.

sorry this is off topic in two different respects but it seemed neccessary.

While I'll agree with you on the fact that Land Of The Dead sucked, and that WWZ kicked ass, the first three Romero Movies put it to shame.

SeanBateman

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2007, 16:49 »

Walking Dead is the best zombie ongoing right now. There's also a book that Warren Ellis did for Avatar called Black Fog that was pretty good.

Marvel MAX's zombie was okay, and there was a book from Boom! studios called "Zombie Tales" that was pretty cool too. Zombies!

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2007, 16:55 »

I was unaware of the idea that Ellis did a zombie related comic. I envision it as two British guys swearing at each other and using the word "tosser" for twenty-four pages before a zombie devours them both before yelling "sod off!"
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2007, 17:33 »

I figure there's good odds it showed up elsewhere, even before that.

Yeah.

Like, in Night of the Living Dead.

I think it was Dawn that introduced the concept of infection. Hell, it might even have been Zombie Flesh Eaters. In Night of the Living Dead, the zombies bites are merely diseased, leading bitten characters to succumb to a fever and die without medical treatment, which is fairly accurate, we humans carry some hella nasty microbes in our mouths and throats. All recently deceased automatically rise from the dead after a few minutes unless beheaded or burned.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

thepugs

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2007, 23:04 »

The Avatar line of zombie comics, while moderately silly at times, are often pretty decent.  Black Gas was likable, as was Black Fog.  IDW's Zombies! Feast was alright, and Zombies vs Robots was worth reading.

In terms of Romero movies, Dawn was definitely the first to incorporate infection from a wound/bite or whatever.  I'm not sure if anyone did it before that.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:40 »

The only zombie comic you will ever need is Walking Dead. It is one of the best books currently being made period, and is extraordinary in the world of zombie-literature.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

thepugs

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2007, 08:21 »

I'm going to assume from now on that any mention of zombies in general precludes a knowledge and enjoyment of Walking Dead.  If anyone isn't reading it by now, they've dropped the ball comics-wise.

In fact, if you aren't reading at least one Kirkman comic a month, you should be punched in the sack.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2007, 05:40 »

I always liked this site for Zombie-related goodness:
http://www.fvza.org/
It's fun and bonus vampires and werewolves.
Also there's this comic:
http://www.lastblood.net/

...Sorry for the interruption, please continue.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2007, 11:32 »

The only zombie comic you will ever need is Walking Dead. It is one of the best books currently being made period, and is extraordinary in the world of zombie-literature.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up