THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Windows Vista Thread  (Read 3683 times)

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
The Windows Vista Thread
« on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:50 »

Ok, Windows Vista has been out for a while now - what does everyone think about it?

Personally, it took some getting used to, but I am REALLY warming up to it. I think it's really amazing, and much easier to customize and play with settings. I love the fact that it can emulate any old version of Windows when running an application (old school games, here I come!) and I am a huge fan of the file explorer. Now that the nVidia graphics drivers are finally working on it, I can even run my CAD software without crappy-ass Software OpenGL. The only thing that bugs me about it is the 10 different flavors they make you choose from when you buy it. Also, Media Center is a piece of crap; but I don’t use it anyway.

I apologize for opening up a new topic on this, but the last thing wrote about it was in March - I don't really feel like resurrecting terribly old threads.

ackblom12

Re: The Windows Vista Thread
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2007, 08:48 »

After having used it a a while I think most of the concerning it (outside of business perhaps) are unfounded. If you didn't expect to have to upgrade when a new OS came out, like you did with every other new version of Windows, and then expect it to function at least as good as the last OS which has 5 years of patching behind it your an idiot. As of now I've noticed no real slow down since i switched from XP and I'm looking forward to the SP1 patch.

Now, with companies selling pre-made computers that shouldn't have Vista on it in the first place is just retarded.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2007, 09:24 »

I got my laptop with Vista already installed on it and it works fine. All the people who are bagging on it just because it's a new OS from Microsoft need to move on. Being a jerk about what operating system your computer runs on is and always has been completely ridiculous.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

muteKi

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2007, 14:40 »

Why does Windows run so much worse than Mac, allegedly? 'Cause it's popular, so more viruses are written for it than Mac. If everyone used Macs, I think Macs would get the same complaints.

Vista is good, but some "legacy" software of mine doesn't have compatibility with it, and I'm running the 32-bit version. I know of no Vista patch for Sonic R. (I know, I'm a freak for wanting to play it, but meh. It's a nice kinda' nostalgic trip signifiying what 3D Sonic could and maybe should have felt like.)

It seems to run just fine for me, and I greatly prefer Aero and transparencies to the XP themes. (Ugly as sin, I tell you!)

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2007, 14:44 »

I got my laptop with Vista already installed on it and it works fine.

I'm thinking of instances like my fiance's best friend, where she got a computer from Dell and her not being computer suave didn't realize that 512 megs of RAM wasn't enough. They neglected to mention that a RAM upgrade would be a good idea even. It was silly of them.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2007, 05:51 »

I know this is a turnabout from the last Vista thread where everyone was bashing it and I was saying it was pretty cool & that Heather wasn't having any probs with it, but I'm managing a windows network with about 60 pcs on it at the moment, 10 running Vista.  As far as business goes Vista is an awful, bloated sack of crap.  Profiles aren't compatible with XP profiles, so it needs to maintain two separate profiles.  If a user logs on to an XP machine then onto a Vista machine all of their settings are gone.  It takes forever to log on.  It takes forever to log out.  The constant, constant UAI shit pisses everyone off.  There are unavoidable driver issues with some of our printers.

and so it goes.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:43 »

It is a bloated sack of crap, but if you have the hardware to run it, it seems to be working fine. I make sure widgets are off because they suck up a lot of juice. Also, having a high end graphics card seems to be helpful...

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:42 »

I got a free upgrade from HP, so I decided to install it, honestly, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. Other than that, its relatively ok, the defender freaking out and pausing everything whenever I use a new program gets a little annoying sometimes, but other than that, I don't have too many complaints.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:22 »

Why does Windows run so much worse than Mac, allegedly? 'Cause it's popular, so more viruses are written for it than Mac. If everyone used Macs, I think Macs would get the same complaints.

Allegedly is the key word here, since that's a load of crap (Not windows vs Mac but it tells you about all the problems).

Also, I heard they realeased a patch for Vista that now lets you move large files!
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2007, 12:25 by öde »

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2007, 16:21 »

I got a free upgrade from HP, so I decided to install it, honestly, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it. Other than that, its relatively ok, the defender freaking out and pausing everything whenever I use a new program gets a little annoying sometimes, but other than that, I don't have too many complaints.

You realize you can turn Defender off right?

muteKi

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:09 »

Yeah, UAC isn't incredibly annoying after a while, but it's really easy to turn off.
I have it turned off since it seemed to be causing problems with DataStudio.
Also, I never totally shut down the computer, only put it in sleep mode
Pages: [1]   Go Up