THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Orange Box discussion thread (possible spoilers)  (Read 70670 times)

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist

I didn't see one of these made, so I thought I'd make a thread for discussing The Orange Box from Valve. Episode 2, Portal, or TF2 can go here. If you believe you're going to post a spoiler, please try to remember to tag it as such.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: The Orange Box discussion thread (possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2007, 12:03 »

Portal is totally trippy. That's the only portion I've played so far, but I'm probably going to fire up Half-Life 2 soon, because I never played it the first time. And I'm not connected to Xbox Live yet, so I can't play TF2 because there aren't any bots.

It'll probably be slow going, since I'm splitting time between this and Eternal Sonata. Oh well.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2007, 12:27 »

i'm really looking  forward to playing Portal when i get off work. HL 2 and shit also....but not as much as Portal. just because i've played Half Life, i know how it works. But Portal is a totally unique concept that i'm really stoked play around with.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

vacuity

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2007, 13:28 »

I beat Portal already....

Awesome concept design, good execution, WAY too short. Disappointingly short.

Cake.

Narr

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2007, 13:59 »

Portal is amazing.  Short, yes, but Valve figured they'd leave it in the capable hands of their modding community to develop more levels for you.  You know you'll be downloading player made content for that one.  At least, I will be.

As for the rest:

Beautiful.  I forgot how utterly brilliant Half-Life 2 was.  TF2 is amazing as well.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2007, 14:48 »

Episode 2 is... well.. It's Half-Life. Valve knows their shit and there's no need to really go any further than that. Portal on the other hand is mind blowing to me. I'm loving every damn second of it and I'm looking forward to the user made content and what they plan to do with the concept next.

Portal gun making an appearance in Episode 3 perhaps?

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2007, 15:04 »

Haven't started on Episode 2 yet, only started playing Episode 1 last night, but it is just more Half-Life 2, which is great if you like Half-Life, but I've never really been that bothered by it. It's a solid enough shooter, but I'd prefer it if they'd kept just having the one type of zombie, and have more human vs. combine fighting. But I'm not that far into it, so it might pick up.
Team Fortress 2 is, again, great if you like that sort of thing. I've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of it, and think it's got a great class system, albeit one that means most classes have one very specific thing they have to do to be effective at all.
Portal is where it's at. I've just stopped playing my first session of it, and I'm part way though level 17. It's really interesting so far, and likely one of the best puzzle games I've ever played... the puzzles are challenging enough that you feel happy once you've figured them out, but not so hard that you're stuck on them for that long. If there's a strong modding community, and I assume there will be, that's great, but I doubt I'm going to play the game past initially completing it once or twice, and won't play any mods that aren't ridiculously well recommended.
I really doubt they're going to add the Portal gun to Episode 3. From the sounds of it, the reason the game is so short is that they had to spend ages on each level making sure you couldn't break it using the gun... what it can do is very powerful, so it can't easily be moved to a regular game, where millions of things are going on at once, like Half-Life.
Still, maybe they could figure out a compromise, like how they *HALF-LIFE 2 SPOILERS, I GUESS* only have the Gravity Gun on 'full power' on small, simple, segments of the game. Perhaps they could change how the Portal Gun works slightly, so it's more feasible.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2007, 15:08 »

I can't wait to get my hands on portal and TF2, but TF2 especially. Been waiting for this one for quite a while now, and having it for the 360 is going to make it all the better for me.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Narr

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2007, 18:37 »

*blink*

People honestly like the console adaptations of the Half-Life games?  BRAIN OVERLOAD

I love my consoles, but not when that thing is also released for the PC.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2007, 19:18 »

Maybe because not everybody can afford to spend a couple grand on a gaming PC every couple of years? I'm a college student. Buying a PC that I would need to upgrade every couple of years just to get it to run the games I want to play just for keyboard/mouse controls (which only work better than gamepads in 3 genres) and modding (which, if recent developments are to be believed, may be coming to consoles as early as next year) is significantly less appealing than paying between 250-500 dollars once for a console I can use for at least five years. Do you also ever wonder why most development has shifted to consoles in the past 5 years or so? Same reason.

Also, piracy. Sure, it exists for consoles, but it's fucking rampant on the PC.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2007, 19:19 »

Guys, the end credits song for Portals is the greatest song in the history of video games ever.  And to reinforce this point, I'm going to copy and paste this sentence into the game soundtracks thread.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2007, 20:26 »

Honestly, Bioshock was what finally made me realize that console FPS controls have advanced IMMENSELY over the years. I even went so far as to also rent the Orange Box for my 360 and check out the controls. Outside of RTS's and Hellgate: London I'm quickly running out of reasons to bother trying to keep up with the PC upgrade cycle.

Back to the Orange Box... Episode 2 is fucking awesome.

*SPOILERZ*

The first time I saw a Vortigaunt curbstomp 2 Antlions and then used a energy fueled Punch to the face to cause it to explode, I fell in love all over again.

*END SPOILERZ*

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2007, 22:44 »

I like the Shacknews review of this: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=611

I am of somewhat the same mind.  Do I want Ep2 + TF2 + Portal?  Where is the question?

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2007, 23:14 »

The song is so amazing. I'm re-downloading my SDK base just so I can rip Portal apart and find that song.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2007, 05:09 »

I have absolutely no problem with doing a six-minute boss fight just to hear it again.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2007, 08:13 »

Yeah. Portal seems to be the first thing everyone who get's the OB plays. Half-Life Episode 2 people primarily play for the story, and TF2 is a hilarious tech-up on the TF concept, but deep down it's still more of the same. Portal is different, though. Even if you have played Narbacular Drop.

Having said that, though, a moment of silence for Companion Cube. :cry:

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2007, 09:33 by Stryc9Fuego »

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:32 »

I just completed Portal. Now I need to go and find that song on the internet somewhere...
Edit: Here it is: Spoilers I guess if you haven't finished Portal?

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:44 »

That's awesome. Thanks for the link.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:53 »

Guys, the end credits song for Portals is the greatest song in the history of video games ever.

Yes! The entire reason I even got up and came to work today (I am very sick and don't feel well) is to see if anyone had uploaded this song yet because it's so good. I'm glad somebody did.

edit: Aperture Science Enrichment Center
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2007, 13:28 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2007, 13:37 »

Motherfucking yes.

ackblom12

« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2007, 16:42 »

Oh god I just finished Portal and the song damn near made me piss myself with laughter.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2007, 18:19 »

Does anyone know what the original file is encoded in? I'm a whorish audiophile and unless it's in a lossless format I probably will leave it alone.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #22 on: 11 Oct 2007, 20:45 »

It's either an mp3 or a WAV.  I don't really know my way around the Source file structure and all, but most shooters and indeed most PC games use those two, or occasionally OGGs.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2007, 22:20 »

The first thing I did after beating Portal was hunting down an MP3 of that song and putting it on my iPod.

Portal is one of the funniest games ever made, nevermind the incredible gameplay. Top notch presentation all the way. It's only disappointingly short just because you want the game to go on SO HARD.

EDIT: Oh my fuck. The entire time I was listening to the Portal song, I was thinking "This is clever and funny enough to be a Jonathan Coulton song".

It is a fucking Jonathan Coulton song.

This is the single best game ever made just because of that.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2007, 22:28 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2007, 22:35 »

Those credits are amazing. Simply brilliant.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2007, 23:20 »

Guys, the end credits song for Portals is the greatest song in the history of video games ever.  And to reinforce this point, I'm going to copy and paste this sentence into the game soundtracks thread.

Agreed.

Also, Portal has blown my mind. I think I'm in love.

ETA:
Everyone has been here, right? (It's pretty much my favorite website for a game ever)
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2007, 23:27 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2007, 23:36 »

try running the "play" command with "portal" as the argument.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:52 »

oh man, how do i get that website to do things? i wanna see what it's all about but i don't know things, apparently.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2007, 11:25 »

I tried all the standard stuff, "help", "dir", "cmd", but nothing but "help" works. The heck do I do?

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:42 »

There's really only 2 options that have any real meat to them: APPLY and THECAKEISALIE.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2007, 16:11 »

There are a number of things to do.

Open the site, and type "LOGIN". Enter whatever user name you want. The password is "PORTAL"
After that, type "APPLY", and then contiune. It basically takes you to an application process, of sorts, which is kinda fun. It's a bunch of silly questions.

During the application, you'll notice some letters fading in and out. If you keep track of these letters, you'll find out they spell out "THECAKEISALIE". Supposedly, you can type this in any time after you log in, but it never worked for me that way. I just wet back to the beginning, and typed it in directly after logging in.

OR

Open the site, type "LOGIN" and then for the user name, type "CJOHNSON" your password will be "TIER3". After this, type "NOTES" and it will give you a somewhat interesting time line/story for Aperture Science.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2007, 20:40 »

It will give you a very silly timeline for Aperture Science, you mean.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2007, 22:01 »

Interesting and very silly are one in the same for me.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2007, 22:41 »

just beat portal and god damn, that song made everything that pissed me off disappear

please tell me someone is already ripping this song and putting it up for download
I NEED THIS SONG!!!
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2007, 23:15 by Blue Kitty »

muteKi

« Reply #34 on: 13 Oct 2007, 16:14 »

An mp3 download is available through one of the links, I think.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2007, 16:46 »

I've been splitting my time between Episode 2 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer. It's been a good week and a half for games, I'd say.

One of these days I'll start playing TF2.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2007, 17:47 »

The real question I have is: Is this worth getting for the 360?
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

muteKi

« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2007, 19:03 »

I now understand why it is that Pintsize is so big on cake mix.
And that song is full of win.
And not only am I inspired to get the game (for PC, I think), I even want my own desktop toy companion cube!

Narr

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2007, 19:22 »

The companion cube seems extremely popular.

Anyway as for to get it for the 360: If you have a PC that can run it, why would you get... ANY game for a console when you could get it for PC?  Especially one that overheats as much as the 360 does.

ackblom12

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2007, 19:29 »

Because it's getting more and more common that the PC version is a shit assed secondary crap fest compared to the console version?

Orange Box definitely isn't in that category (nor do I ever expect Valve to have this be the case), but it is becoming more and more common.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2007, 19:39 »

Anyway as for to get it for the 360: If you have a PC that can run it, why would you get... ANY game for a console when you could get it for PC?  Especially one that overheats as much as the 360 does.

You mean aside from every genre except for FPS and RTS? Believe it or not, other genres do in fact exist!

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #41 on: 15 Oct 2007, 20:21 »

So, does anyone have this for the 360 and recommend it? Geeze, it's so hard to get a straightforward answer.
This arguing,
I'll be more specific. I don't have a PC right now that can run it. I don't plan on getting one, even though I would like one.
Is this worth it?
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 15 Oct 2007, 20:32 »

I have the 360 version, and yes, it's a fantastic value for the price. Get it.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #43 on: 15 Oct 2007, 20:41 »

I am considering saving up 4 paychecks just to get a 360, just for Portal. I mean the Orange box in general is pretty much the greatest thing ever, but Portal is fucking amazing.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #44 on: 15 Oct 2007, 21:48 »

If you have a computer built after 2000 that isn't a Dell, you can run Portal, I promise you. Half-Life 2 is STILL the most scalable PC game I've ever played.

muteKi

« Reply #45 on: 15 Oct 2007, 22:13 »

Because it's getting more and more common that the PC version is a shit assed secondary crap fest compared to the console version?

I'll say it again, Sonic on the PC is excellent since with the later release they seem to fix up lots of bugs.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 15 Oct 2007, 22:27 »

The 3D Sonic games are terrible so the platform you play them on is irrelevant.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #47 on: 15 Oct 2007, 22:39 »

Depends on the game. Usually these days, if a game comes out for both consoles and the PC, it's been originally designed for the console and ported to the PC, which sometimes single-handedly makes the game a disaster (see: Deus Ex Invisible War, which should never have been designed for the Xbox) and more often than not leads to some UI headaches for PC gamers. Oblivion suffered in this regard, Shadowrun had fixed mouse sensitivity because of the game's console focus (though I don't know many people who liked the game in the first place).

But my computer isn't terribly awesome, frankly, and the lure of consoles is that when you buy a game, you're pretty much guaranteed to get the same performance out of it that everybody else does. You never have to worry about drivers or compatibility issues, either.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #48 on: 16 Oct 2007, 01:37 »

It might be worth noting to some of the bigger Portal fans here that Valve is producing a plushie companion cube. It sucks that GLaDOS doesn't have a physical form that could be turned into a plushie. Oh well.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #49 on: 16 Oct 2007, 06:42 »

I have the orange box for the 360, and I love it. I'm going through Half life 2 now.....but I may stop to play portal just cause of that damn song. Good lord. I love it. I love it with all my heart. If it were a woman, I would attempt to seduce her.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up