THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Orange Box discussion thread (possible spoilers)  (Read 70679 times)

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
Re: The Orange Box discussion thread (possible spoilers)
« Reply #50 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:09 »

What about GLaDOS' balls personality spheres?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 16 Oct 2007, 15:59 »

I would love to have a talking curiosity module. That thing was adorable.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #52 on: 16 Oct 2007, 16:03 »

Let's try to get away from the whole PC vs Console debate, which has been done to death in, and outside, of this thread.

Episode 2 was far better than I anticipated. Short, yes, but I knew that already. The adventure consists of "get from point A to point B", but the little things that pop in (spoilers aside, it fleshes out details on a lot of people) really help to expand the Half-Life universe. It seems, though, that I came out of Episode 2 with few answers and even more questions. Hopefully, one day, we'll all really understand what's going on, but that's not going to happen in the span of Half-Life 2.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ackblom12

« Reply #53 on: 16 Oct 2007, 16:27 »

I would love to have a talking curiosity module. That thing was adorable.

Do you smell something burning?

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #54 on: 16 Oct 2007, 19:22 »

Now, I would like to get this game, but Assassin's Creed needs my money more, right?
I need a jorb.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #55 on: 16 Oct 2007, 20:00 »

Rumors are that Assassin's Creed might get delayed. Compression issues with the 360 version and memory problems with the PS3 version. Just sayin'.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

muteKi

« Reply #56 on: 17 Oct 2007, 17:52 »

The 3D Sonic games are terrible so the platform you play them on is irrelevant.

Terrible is a stretch. They don't quite live up to the expectations of the 16-bit games, but they're not totally crappy; they're more like an extension of the 8-bit (Game Gear) games, at least like with Sonic Adventure -- the physics doesn't seem quite as nicely polished, and there are some that are dead wrong (G Sonic ~ Shadow the Hedgehog).

You HAVE played Sonic Adventure 1 in saying this, right?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #57 on: 17 Oct 2007, 18:46 »

Sonic Adventure was good, but not the amazing game everyone makes it out to be. It just seems so much better in comparison with the games that followed it.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #58 on: 17 Oct 2007, 19:54 »

So I guess Mr. Yahtzee liked Portal? This says something to me.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #59 on: 17 Oct 2007, 20:11 »

He's only done this once before, on Psychonauts.

Well, he sort of half-did it with Bioshock, but yeah.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #60 on: 18 Oct 2007, 22:30 »

we did it old friend, we finally got that cake
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2007, 23:16 by Blue Kitty »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2007, 23:46 »

I don't know if anybody else mentioned this, but some kids are now at work at an integration of the Portal gun into HL2.

Video

site
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #62 on: 19 Oct 2007, 00:42 »

They're basically importing HL2 maps to Portal. That ain't a solution. The solution is to import the Portal Gun files into Half-Life 2, which they aren't smart enough to figure out. Plus, the config doesn't let ragdolls move thru portals, which is lame.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #63 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:13 »

The way I see it for this is that we are not seeing the end of the road, but the beginning. Eventually, someone enterprizing enough will find what needs to be done to put the ASHPD into HL2.

...and then it'll be a simple step to add it to SMOD.  :-D

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #64 on: 19 Oct 2007, 22:20 »

GMod had the Portal gun before Portal was even released: it beat the game's time by about 3 months, so it's not impossible to take the files from Portal. These guys just took the easy way out. What will be harder is SWEP'ing the portals to accept NPCs. Not too difficult (at least not for the GMod SWEP community), but it might be awhile before we see it in HL2.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:35 »

I just went on a 17 kill streak with my Soldier before somebody finally managed to take me down. I completely dominated that match. But we were playing on 2Fort, so the second round they did the really annoying thing of putting two sentries and two dispensers right next to the intelligence and just had two engineers hammer on them constantly. It sucks, because even though I was playing in an unranked game and they had no reason to boost their stats by doing that, people would still apparently rather win than have fun sometimes.

Narr

« Reply #66 on: 21 Oct 2007, 14:19 »

Woah, wanting to win means you aren't able to have fun?

I didn't know that.  I always try to win when I play TF2.  That said, it's not like I don't have FUN.  I just get annoyed when there's a medic on our team that'd rather use his medigun instead of heal teammates near him that are almost dead, or when there are like 5 engineers on an 8-man team.

Also, 1000 posts yay.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 21 Oct 2007, 14:44 »

Well look at it this way. Those two engineers did nothing the entire second round but sit and hammer on their sentries. That's literally all they did. Does that seem fun to you?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 21 Oct 2007, 15:36 »

Actually, I find the challenge of finding the optimal place for a turret and keeping it alive as long as possible to see how many kills I can get on it plenty fun. :)
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #69 on: 22 Oct 2007, 06:25 »

Spies just love turret hammerers. They spam the wrench, you sit on the far side and spam the saps. Just stay away from that swingin' wrench, and the saps'll pop the turret before he can get it fixed up. Even better if you can sap both the turret and the dispenser. Do you lose all the collected metal in the dispenser, or the fully built sentry? Hard choice, but I'd stick with the sentry.

Narr

« Reply #70 on: 22 Oct 2007, 09:13 »

Or even better, when you know that engineer is more concerned with keeping his stuff alive than killing you and keeping himself up, sap the turret while he's right behind it, immediately switch to the knife and get a free kill, and the sentry will inevitably drop in a few seconds from the sapper.  I've done that more than a few times.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #71 on: 23 Oct 2007, 05:13 »

The problem with the sap-shank-combo is that if he IS able to knock the sap off before you can kill him, the sentry will eat you up. Still, 9 times out of ten it'll work.

Mev852

« Reply #72 on: 24 Oct 2007, 00:17 »

Portal is awesomeness. The weighted companion cube will live on in my heart!  :angel:

HL2 and HL2:Ep1 is awesome, and I haven't played Ep. 2 yet.

TF2 is amazing. I've never had so much fun on a MMO shooter (counter-strike included).

ackblom12

« Reply #73 on: 24 Oct 2007, 00:32 »

After playing a few more hours of TF2, I have fallen hopelessly in love with the Pyro.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #74 on: 24 Oct 2007, 01:00 »

After playing a few more hours of TF2, I have fallen hopelessly in love with the Pyro.
Is he more useful than he was in TFC?
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #75 on: 24 Oct 2007, 01:27 »

If the Pyro was anything less than the motherfucking fury of god in TFC, then yes he is more useful.

My best round so far was as a Pyro. I got 31 points versus 16 as the next runner up. Run into a choke point and cause damage and chaos on a scale that utterly obliterates offenses and defenses alike. He's not a survivor. He is the ultimate maniac martyr. Nothing makes a well-organized team fall apart faster than jets of flame across their screen, forcing them to go into panic mode.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #76 on: 24 Oct 2007, 11:53 »

Did someone just call TF2 an MMOFPS? Whurrr?

Also, the Pyro is an essential class for hallways, corners, and even defending other people: that flamethrower means enemy scouts don't cluster-fuck your Demomen anymore. Besides, no one can help but love a guy that talks like that.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 24 Oct 2007, 13:30 »

They are also, obviously, the ultimate anti-spy class. Disguises and cloaking just doesn't stand up to being torched to death and there's not much a spy can do to a pyro if the pyro spots them first.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 24 Oct 2007, 15:22 »

I don't really like playing as pyro (although I did have a pretty good round as one a couple of days ago), but as somebody who primarily plays soldier, spy, and medic, a good pyro on the other team will more often than not hand me my ass.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 24 Oct 2007, 16:06 »

I would consider medic and soldier to be classes that balance out pyros (in addition to Heavies and Engineers). The medic syringe gun is one of the few guns that's has a decent range and remains pretty accurate over that distance and pyros are pretty fragile creatures so the low damage of the gun is okay. Also, they are pretty clearly the key to surviving a horrible pyro attack. Soldiers, obviously, can keep them at bay pretty well with rockets.

Of course the balance is irrelevant if you just suck. I played 2Fort against a team who thought that the best option would be to Heavy rush our base. 6 Heavies stepping around the corner is pretty scary until a Pyro drops into the middle of them and causes them all to freak out and spray madly into the air while a Demoman pumps grandes into the group of them. They never even pushed past the front rooms.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #80 on: 24 Oct 2007, 16:15 »

Well, I know that as a soldier I can't keep a pyro at bay unless I see him first, and the best pyros are the ones that set up effective ambushes. Same situation with the medic. If he gets the drop on me and blasts me with the flamethrower before I can pull out the syringe gun, my health is so low that I'm almost always screwed.

ackblom12

« Reply #81 on: 24 Oct 2007, 16:52 »

So far I'm beginning to get the hang of the Spy, love the scout, love the Heavy, Am trying to get better with the Medic and have a man-crush on the Pyro.

Fire makes everything better. Especially Medics.

Mev852

« Reply #82 on: 25 Oct 2007, 00:40 »

An aggressive Medic and a Pyro are an amazing combination in certain areas. The medic pops out and shoots you with his gun and runs back into a room, then when you chase him *WHAM* The Pyro flames your ass, The ultimate combo behind Heavy w/ Medic.

Narr

« Reply #83 on: 25 Oct 2007, 01:56 »

Soldier is the most overpowered class in all of TF2.  It has no weaknesses other than slow movement speed (still not as slow as HW guy) so when you get banged up, you need a medic because you probably don't have time to run to a health box.

After playing TF2 extensively, I think I'm going to uninstall it.  It was fun at first but now it's the most maddeningly frustrating game I have ever played.  I am so sick and tired of being on stupid fucking idiot teams, or of completely dominating the other side.  If there was no soldier and engineer, I would probably like TF2 a lot more.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #84 on: 25 Oct 2007, 01:59 »

I cannot play soldier for shit. Overpowered, what? They are easy to dodge like crazy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #85 on: 25 Oct 2007, 06:42 »

Narr: Try Fortress Forever. It's a lot closer to TFC than TF2 was (with some exceptions like enemy spies being able to reprogram the sentry guns). Plus, grenades! Yay!

Ozymandius: I gotta agree with you on that point: soldiers are destructive when you're at medium-short range, but can get blasted at long range. Rockets are too slow. My answer to them is to either get danger-close where they hurt themselves when they try to get me, or back up and dodge. They're great for popping sentries at range, though...

ackblom12

« Reply #86 on: 25 Oct 2007, 09:44 »

Soldier's really aren't overpowered at all, and honestly, the Spy can beat the everloving shit out of any setup an engineer has, it's just all about having 1 or 2 people actually knowing how to counter the problem. The amount of balance in TF2 puts practically every other online game I've ever seen to absolute shame.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #87 on: 25 Oct 2007, 18:35 »

I've stayed the hell-ass away from Fortress Forever because they have an admitted hacker coding for them. Not my kind of people.

The Soldier is unbalanced what? He's frustratingly slow and those rockets are insanely easy to dodge. It's the anti-Heavy.

Viking

« Reply #88 on: 26 Oct 2007, 03:15 »

Portal may be one of the best games ever. The atmosphere you see all around you when playing is simply stunning.

***SPOILER***

Also it gave me the best feeling I ever had while playing. At the end of test 19, when your reward is about to be given to you... and WHAM! It's a goddamn lake of fire, and Glados calmly says that your equipment can survive the temperature. I saw around desperately for an exit, and when I actually escaped death? It was competely priceless.

Episode 2 was great too, but it's more of the hl2 we know and love. I can't help but love the original portal more. Haven't played tf2 that much, but the graphics are awesome, so's the humor. Have to play it more to find out if it's balanced and funny-yet-exhilarating to play.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #89 on: 26 Oct 2007, 05:12 »

Well, that's super.

I went to reinstall HL2, only to find that I've misplaced the manual that the CD-key is attached to, and the secret answer to my secret question is so secret that even I don't know what it is >_<
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Narr

« Reply #91 on: 27 Oct 2007, 03:13 »

You guys seriously don't find soldier to be overpowered?  All you need is a corner and you can get at least 5 kills without so much as a scratch, and if you have a medic to help you cross large fields, it's like... the easiest thing ever.  Soldier is what I go when I feel like going easy mode.

Maybe I'm just naturally good with rockets from the years of Unreal Tournament I played.  Range doesn't mean a lot when you are able to keep the enemy from popping their head out to snipe at you because they'll eat a rocket in the face.  The sheer damage rockets do (a direct hit is an instant kill on anyone other than another soldier or a heavy weapons guy) is just nuts.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #92 on: 27 Oct 2007, 07:29 »

Nah, I'm a pretty savvy demoman, I can dodge rockets quite well.  All I gotta do is lob some stickies close enough, run back to cover and fire 'em and repeat that a couple times.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #93 on: 27 Oct 2007, 15:29 »

Nope. Never considered soldier overpowered. You just found your niche class. Everyone has one. Someone in their own niche class could probably kick your ass just as easily as you kick theirs.

Don't play soldier if you want a challenge. Problem solv-ed.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Mev852

« Reply #94 on: 28 Oct 2007, 02:23 »

I'm sorry. I just had to throw this one out there.

Weighted companion cube: Rule 34!

muteKi

« Reply #95 on: 28 Oct 2007, 22:07 »

http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/

2-D FLASH PORTAL FANGAME -- actually of overall high quality.
It's not very long, only 40 levels, but pretty fun and actually pretty damn hard at times, too.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 02 Nov 2007, 18:09 »

I noticed that on the keyboards throughout Portal (and in the title screen after you beat it) some letters seem to be highlighted in orange. Curious, I stuck them in an anagram generator. I got a lot of silly things:

Radish Pen
Ashen Drip
Raped Shin

And the only phrase that immediately jumped out:

Hard Penis
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #97 on: 03 Nov 2007, 12:01 »

I think Portal is set after the Seven Hour War, but GLaDOS predates it

GLaDOS makes a few comments about how it was trying to protect and hide itself from what was going on outside. I wouldn't be surprised if Episode 3 ends up being a sequel to Portal in addition to ending the Half-Life 2 saga.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #98 on: 03 Nov 2007, 15:36 »

A guy I know showed us Portal at a party I went to a few weeks ago.  He beat it in like an hour, maybe a little less.

It was honestly quite impressive.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

muteKi

« Reply #99 on: 04 Nov 2007, 02:14 »

I noticed that on the keyboards throughout Portal (and in the title screen after you beat it) some letters seem to be highlighted in orange. Curious, I stuck them in an anagram generator. I got a lot of silly things:

Radish Pen
Ashen Drip
Raped Shin

And the only phrase that immediately jumped out:

Hard Penis

Hind rapes?
Hard snipe?
Hap Snider??
er, Aper shin D? (maybe it's part of "Aperture Science [something or other with and N and a D in the name]")
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up