THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The whole downloading music thing...  (Read 32442 times)

qiZzer

Re: The whole downloading music thing...
« Reply #100 on: 07 Nov 2007, 22:28 »

you all make great points but....
while  i can agree that the music biz not always beneficial to the artist but in term of monetary gain it can be better than going unsigned (plus the legal benfis)t. Any ways are you arguing that data can be property, ok that go with that for a bit. With this reasoning than  identity theft isn't a crime, because they didn't take anything concrete they didnt take your body or face and  they didt take actul money from you they just stole data. Yes i agree the system needs a change but letting the old one crash and burn so you can rebuild a new doesn't work. Thats how Hitler came to power and we can all agree that he was worse of than prewar geramny. All im saying is that much of our live are turning into binary and if even if the world start to think that its not property were gonna end up in  a system thats abused by the powers at be then if we just reconised it as property. Communism tryed that and I hate  to break it too ya but it didn't work

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #101 on: 07 Nov 2007, 22:36 »

Oh my gosh I think Godwin's Law just kicked in!

Discussion over.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #102 on: 07 Nov 2007, 23:25 »

How did this of all threads get Godwon?

Jeez.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Mnementh

« Reply #103 on: 07 Nov 2007, 23:45 »

INTERNET.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #104 on: 07 Nov 2007, 23:53 »

?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #105 on: 08 Nov 2007, 02:11 »

Wow.

Also, Hitler did not 'destroy the old system', he exploited flaws in the Weimar constitution to bring himself to power legally. If you are going to bring history of entirely no relevance into a thread, then at least make sure you are using history that bears a vague relationship to the real world, kay?
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #106 on: 08 Nov 2007, 02:14 »

I've now got this mental image of Hitler downloading Metallica albums while he cackles with glee. Meanwhile Lars Ulrich sheds a single tear for a doomed world that just didn't understand his true purpose.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #107 on: 08 Nov 2007, 04:24 »

we're all focusing on the Hitler part but nobody noticed the part where he called us all communists
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

qiZzer

« Reply #108 on: 08 Nov 2007, 04:38 »

dam it i had not intention of set off godwins law and i did not wan tto shut down the  thread. In my post I did not call any one a Nazi, or a commie i never attacked anyone, i was just trying to set a president. But apparently  using a WWII reference was wrong. Ok how about When coke tried a new formula that was a disaster. Only assholes resort to name calling and personal insults, I'm sorry that what it turned into therefore i remove my self from the conversation out of respect for others, all im going to say did anyone get what i was trying to say about the importance of data as property of the owner and/or creator? (is that better grammar for you)
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2007, 06:40 by qiZzer »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #109 on: 08 Nov 2007, 04:57 »

It's really hard to work out, your spelling and grammar are so bad it's borderline gibberish. It seems to be based almost entirely on a woeful misunderstanding of history but that's about as far as I can get.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #110 on: 08 Nov 2007, 09:04 »

dam it i had not intention of set off godwins law and i did not wan tto shut down the  thread. In my post I did not call any one a Nazi, or a commie i never attacked anyone, i was just trying to set a president. But apparently  using a WWII reference was wrong. Ok how about When coke tried a new formula that was a disaster. Only assholes resort to name calling and personal insults, I'm sorry that what it turned into therefore i remove my self from the conversation out of respect for others, all im going to say did anyone get what i was trying to say about the importance of data as property of the owner and/or creator? (is that better grammar for you)

Yeah, that's readable now. The argument isn't very well constructed though, so I still don't see the importance of what you're saying or the reasoning behind it.

Mnementh

« Reply #111 on: 08 Nov 2007, 10:54 »

As they say, to catch a thief set a...president?

There is an election 2000 joke in here that I'm just not smart enough to make.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #112 on: 08 Nov 2007, 11:47 »

I think what he is getting at is that it's hard to draw the line between data and actual property. He used identity theft as an example, which I believe isn't a bad call. Identity theft is just the stealing of binary files. Yet it's definitely theft. In a weird way it's comparable to downloading. I think it's possibly the best argument against the 'mp3s are just binary code' put forwards so far.

However, that isn't to say that I agree with the idea that the enormous datafile isn't going to happen. Most music can already be found of it. Like tommy said, with download speeds increasing, getting access to almost unlimited amounts of music in a heartbeat isn't such an obscure thought. Last night I had the surprising pleasure of having an 8mbs connection. This is a song in half a second.  In ten years time who knows...
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #113 on: 08 Nov 2007, 12:52 »

The argument about data being the property of the creator has been made already. It doesn't hold in my book. The creator of antiretroviral drugs owns them. Lots of people have died because cheap copies could not be made. This is a bad thing.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #114 on: 08 Nov 2007, 13:21 »

Identity theft is used to commit fraud, which is a tangible crime.

I'm not using MP3s to commit fraud.

yeah if identity thieves just re-posted the identities on private trackers for other identity-lovers to read the information and enjoy and never do anything illegal with, it would not be such an issue

interesting thought experiment but poor analogy I'm afraid

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #115 on: 08 Nov 2007, 17:10 »

you know what you guys are

is a bunch of fucking fascists
 :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #116 on: 08 Nov 2007, 17:21 »

Happy, Frankie Goes To Hollywood styled fascists apparently.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #117 on: 09 Nov 2007, 14:53 »

jeph,

Don't call us mere fascists.  We are Hitler communist fascists who steal music.
boldly going nowhere

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #118 on: 09 Nov 2007, 18:53 »

Happy, Frankie Goes To Hollywood styled fascists apparently.
formally known as Hollycaust.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #119 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:09 »

I'm not using MP3s to commit fraud.

YOU ARE DEFRAUDING YOUR EARS INTO BELIEVING YOU BOUGHT THE CD.

THOUGHTCRIME DOES NOT ENTAIL DEATH: THOUGHTCRIME IS DEATH.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #120 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:25 »

jeph,

Don't call us mere fascists.  We are Hitler communist fascists who steal music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6q_aplycA
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Juxtaposition

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #121 on: 10 Nov 2007, 13:31 »

If by downloading a cd illegally I am stealing because the fact that I didn't pay for it costs the labels money, well, I would have cost them the same money either way. Because I wouldn't have bought a completely unfamiliar CD for such high prices. So, I cost the label the same amount of money either way, but by downloading the CD I am much more likely to buy tickets to that band when the have a concert near me. I am more likely to buy a t-shirt. I am even more likely to buy the CD itself, because I want it and it has pretty cover art that I wouldn't have cared about in the first place, had I never gotten into that band.

So, illegal downloading benifits the artists and screws the labels over. I would totally download music illegally if I weren't technologically illiterate. Now, back to my sad existence of paying for music.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up