THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rowling drops the gay bomb  (Read 28276 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: Rowling drops the gay bomb
« Reply #100 on: 27 Oct 2007, 16:03 »

Squiddy, I don't get the whole identity thing either. To be honest, gay or bisexual people who are all 'in your face' annoy the fuck out of me, for precisely the same reasons that heterosexuals who have nothing better to talk about than their sex life annoy me. Seriously. My opinion of the whole thing in general is that queerness being noticeable and abnormal is as bad as it being closeted. My kind of world is a world where being queer is BORING. Essentially, a world where normality does not really exist in the way it does nowadays (ie. normality equals majority at best, lowest common denominator at worst).

Based on this, I consider Dumbledore a completely normal and even exemplary gay character. There are obvious, OBVIOUS reasons why Dumbledore would not talk about his sexuality: because his relationship to all of the main characters is teacher to pupil. Would it have been natural to expect Snape to mention, in passing, his prediliction for making love to women? No. Neither would it have been natural for Dumbledore to ever say he was gay. Ever. It would have been fucking creepy, in fact.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2007, 16:05 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

muteKi

« Reply #101 on: 27 Oct 2007, 20:27 »

Or, to put it another way:

I have been in your confidence for a long time, and as such I have an important announcement to make, lest you feel that I have betrayed your trust by keeping it a secret:
I'm straight.
Yes, I admit, it's something that in today's society it's not always easy to talk about, but I am going to come out right now and admit that I'm straight.
What can I say? I just love breasts and curvy hips and the vagina. Ooh, yes, the vagina, the greatest element ever on God's green Earth. I swear, if I could get away with it, I would spend all of my time just sticking my hard dick into as many of them as I possibly could. It's the greatest fun that anyone could ever have.
Yes, placing my throbbing man-flesh into a soft, tiny woman-hole is the greatest feeling after a sensual massage, which is of course always best done by a topless lady, perhaps even progressing to the very act of copulation itself. BECAUSE I AM A MAN!!
Anyway, you said you had something important to discuss??

No, even I don't think I could imagine my superiors saying that.

EDIT: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=87
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2007, 20:50 by muteKi »

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #102 on: 27 Oct 2007, 21:03 »

So far that was the most unnecessary post I have read on these forums and that includes everytime someone posts "postcount +1".
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #103 on: 27 Oct 2007, 21:49 »

I am deeply disturbed by the direction this thread is going.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

muteKi

« Reply #104 on: 27 Oct 2007, 23:25 »

So far that was the most unnecessary post I have read on these forums and that includes everytime someone posts "postcount I have nothing of value to add.".

To be honest, though, that was part of my point, I guess. You just don't do stuff at all like that in normal conversation, so it's pretty clear as to why the whole "OMG Dumbledore is teh gayzorz!!!11!!" not being in the book is fine with me, since it really has little to do with his role in most of the books.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #105 on: 28 Oct 2007, 11:58 »

Yeah.
But your creepy-ass comment still grossed me out.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2007, 17:37 by ampersandwitch »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #106 on: 28 Oct 2007, 14:33 »

I still think that Rowling telling everybody was just worldwide flame bait. You can just imagine what kind of crazy lulz she's getting out of this whole thing. And the hate letters from the people who can't stand it? Shit, I'd PAY to see those.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #107 on: 28 Oct 2007, 16:20 »

Thats going to be her next book I hear.
  The douche-bags that wrote to me.
                A Memoir

By: J.K Rowling

\\
Quote from: "The Douche-bags that wrote to me
...As I flipped through my e-mails, I stumbled upon a surprising, and hilarious, e-mail that said "J.K Rowling is a dumb bitchzorz" As I contemplated what a "bitchzorz" was, I padded my coffee soiled lips with a dollar bill.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #108 on: 28 Oct 2007, 16:28 »

\\
Quote from: "The Douche-bags that wrote to me
...As I flipped through my e-mails, I stumbled upon a surprising, and hilarious, e-mail that said "J.K Rowling is a dumb bitchzorz" As I contemplated what a "bitchzorz" was, I padded my coffee soiled lips with a solid gold dildo signed by the Queen in diamonds.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #109 on: 28 Oct 2007, 19:07 »

I would totally read that book.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

thepugs

« Reply #110 on: 30 Oct 2007, 17:33 »

Wait...

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #111 on: 31 Oct 2007, 11:31 »

1) I think Dumbledore being gay is so awesome! I've heard some gay people say, "Oh, but he didn't act gay enough or wasn't prominent enough to do anything for gay rights", etc, but I think they are missing the point entirely! This just goes to show anyone you know and respect could be gay, and it really shouldn't affect your opinion of that person. I believe, in movies, having a flamboyant gay character as the norm is actually starting to hurt gay rights. It's beginning to caricaturize gay people as a whole. Just like other types of people, there are many different types of gay people. I have three middle aged/old professors who are openly gay and it would be ridiculous to suggest that because they don't dress trendy, have the latest style hair or "talk gay", that they are failing to advance gay rights or something. Besides, someone's sexuality has NOTHING to do with the general storyline of the books and shouldn't be brought up anyway.

2) I hated how people started saying afterwards that Dumbledore was probably actually some creepy old pedophile who was gunning for Tom Riddle and Harry Potter. Gay old men are, as a majority, not pedophiles. It's such a narrow minded view and it scares me to think how people immediately turned their opinions against him. I wonder what will happen when this happens in real life? For example, if a decorated hero, using perhaps Lt. Michael Murphy, who was recently awarded the  Medal of Honor for being killed by enemy fire while attempting to save his team, was discovered to be gay, would this affect people's view of him? Probably. Should it? No.

3) Dumbledore being gay, while not really having anything to do with the story of the Harry Potter books, turns Dumbledore into more of a Tragic Hero than Harry. One could almost(?) argue now that Dumbledore was JKR's principal character, not Harry. While Harry has been criticized as being a static character, Dumbledore is a character who started off as a kind, famous, powerful and all knowing wizard and ended as a person who people realized was very human, with very human mistakes, and the very human ability to experience love and loss. Grindelwald is Dumbledore's hamartia, and while one could argue Dumbledore did not experience peripeteia in a pure sense of the term, definitely Dumbledore having to battle his best friend and lover brought about his anagnorisis (aka, him realizing that the ideas he had formulated with Grindelwald was defintely evil and that he had to stand against ideas and people who supported them. Dumbledore is most definitely the Tragic Hero of this story. And I love him.

I only read this post. Jen, My esteem for you has increased exponentially. Specially that last paragraph.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #112 on: 04 Nov 2007, 00:58 »

Really? I understood everything in her post until the third paragraph. Probably because she started using words that, to me, looked like she made them up. While drunk. I'm getting a dictionary.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #113 on: 04 Nov 2007, 01:18 »

The concept of anagnorisis originates with Greek theatre.

Forget the dictionary, just go watch Woody Allen's film, Mighty Aphrodite.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #114 on: 04 Nov 2007, 05:13 »

Here is a small glossary, for those (like me) who were mad confused.
Hamartia: Injury committed by accident, error of judgement. Probably used here in the sense of "tragic flaw", i.e. Grindelwald is Dumbledore's tragic flaw.
Peripeteia: A reversal. Not sure what this means exactly. I think it's referring to Dumbledore breaking with Grindelwald.
Anagnorisis: Recognition, revelation, a change from ignorance to knowledge. Realising his ideas were bad, of course.

Someone must have been reading Greek tragedy recently. Also, that is an amazing third paragraph, like E said.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up