THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 06:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unreal Tournament 3  (Read 3713 times)

thepugs

Unreal Tournament 3
« on: 26 Nov 2007, 15:46 »

So I don't suppose anybody actually picked this up considering it released on the same day as Mass Effect, but is anyone else playing this?

It seems very Gears of War-ish; not surprising, considering the engine.  While a few people have been complaining about hardware problems, I've found solutions for any trouble I've had, and it runs pretty decent on my desktop.  I might even bother learning Unrealscript now that people will be around to help.  The biggest part for me will be to see all the new mods and user-created content for it.

The campaign mode seems interesting, and I like that it's a single-player experience a la Unreal or Unreal 2 (not the like the campaign mode of the other UT games).  Haven't quite finished, but I'm close.  The online play seems a lot of fun, too.  It just begs for something like Live.

Any thoughts?

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Unreal Tournament 3
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:41 »

The only reason I buy the unreal games is the assault mode server 'trial' maps and 'race' maps that people make, and for the editor.  I'm gonna wait until it goes down a sawbuck or two.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2007, 22:16 »

I'm dissapointed, honestly.

Granted, actually playing the game?  Its quite good, and has the expected level of polish, I read somewhere that someone called it "Original UT with new graphics"  or something similar, and it kinda plays like that (although I still miss the ripper)

As the game exists now I would give it a 7.5 out of 10, and my primary complaints come about because of the TERRIBLE interface.

Old UT games had one of the best, most straightforward, yet tons of options interfaces ever made.  Dozens of ways to customize the HUD, tons of ways to make even the base game "yours"
I dunno if they just didnt have TIME, or what, but the new meni-submenu shit is dumb, clunky, and shitty on the choices.
And the account thing is rather dumb as well.

Its like someone put a hunk of gold inside a pile of shit.  Sure theres gold in there, and you could concievably get to it, but you are gonna have to go through shit to get it.

Seriously, how do you go from one of the best UIs ever in a game to a stupid Q3 ripoff bullshit UI...

Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2007, 22:43 »

Yeah, they've been going waay backwards since the original tournament. I really liked the desktop system.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2007, 23:03 »

Sales are really hurting. They'd best get the remaining console ports out right quick.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2007, 00:15 »

I think the world is over that kind of game really. Especially since everyone who's into straight up deathmatch or capture the flag will already own a couple of titles in that vein and the people who loved the whole onslaught thing will probably get more out of a game like Battlefield 2.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2007, 02:29 »

Yeah, it doesn't seem adequate to put out a strictly deathmatch-based multiplayer-only game anymore. A lot of games with single-player components (Halo, Gears of War , etc.) seem to have it covered. Team or gimmick-based dedicated multiplayer games seem to do well enough, though.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alegis

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2007, 06:51 »

Another bland shootan game.

Release it on console and they might think it's unique and awesome. It worked for Halo.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2007, 07:27 »

I don't know if any of you guys played the user-created puzzle maps in UT2K4, but that was what kept me playing up until last year.  Not very often, mind you, but it held my interest.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

thepugs

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2007, 15:04 »

Yeah, in all honesty there really isn't much changed in UT3; I'm glad I bought it, but that's really only because I enjoy the modding/coding/user-made content for it.  I'm not sure I would have thought it a worthwhile purchase if it weren't for that.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2007, 17:20 »

Another bland shootan game.

Release it on console and they might think it's unique and awesome. It worked for Halo.

After all, look at all the really innovative PC games coming out right now.

Wait...
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2007, 17:26 »

I hear the Witcher's good.

I'll probably make a thread for it here soon.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2007, 22:32 »

Ive been playing it a bit more, and IMO, it is definently a step up from previous UTs in terms of gameplay, even if it isnt, it FEELS faster (which could have something to do with the slightly compressed maps) and while ive been sticking to DM so far to get back into "slam the space bar repeatedly while firing rockets at shit" frame of mind, the little bit of experience I had in my limited SP experience, the vehicles feel as tight as they did previously (meaning, a super fast buggy feels like a super fast buggy, a big fuck off truck feels like a big fuck off truck, etc.)  In my ever so humble opinion, the UT series has always smoked everyone, at all times in terms of playable DM and CTF, Onslaught/Warfare I found a welcome addition to gameplay, and think, in terms of a PLAYABLE non-bajillion mile across map, UT pulls it off very very well.
CS may be the big daddy of PC FPS, but Ive honestly always had more FUN with the UT games.  Plus, the huge modding community and mutator community make it endlessly playable.

IF THEY DIDNT COMPLETELY FUCK OVER THE FUCKING PERFECT INTERFACE.

A side note: 
Where the fuck did Assault and Bombing Run go?  I know not a lot of people played either, but both had a very unique challenge, and bombing run made translocator hopping into a fucking art form.

A second side note:

The new Deck 17 is the most perfect DM/TDM map ever created.  Also, I love the fact that the rocket launcher can dump grenades again.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2007, 02:06 »

I might look into getting it if there's a deathball port and more than a handful of servers running it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up