THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 06:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I Am Legend  (Read 25264 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
I Am Legend
« on: 26 Oct 2007, 13:18 »

I just saw the trailer for this for the first time and am pretty excited. Anyone read the book? Liked it? Hated it? Thoughts on the movie?
I'll defnitely go see this since post-apocalyptic america (or anywhere else) is one of my favorite themes for pretty much anything.

Also; recommendations for other works in this genre would be welcome.*
My recommendations (in order of greatness) include:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (book)
World War Z by Max Brooks (book)
The Dark Tower Series by Stephan King (7 books. fits loosely in this category)
28 Days Later (movie)
28 Weeks Later (movie)
Mad Max (movie)
Waterworld (movie)

That's all i can come up with off the top of my head.

*zombies optional
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
Re: I Am Legend
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2007, 17:24 »

Yeah, i saw the trailer fort this the other day, it looks good. I haven't read the book but know a fair bit about it. Other reccomendations:
Night of the living dead (movie)
The Omega Man (movie)
The Last Man on Earth (movie)
Dawn of the dead (orignal) (movie)
Walking Dead (graphic novel series)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2007, 17:55 »

In reference to a Walking Dead, call it what it is: a comic book series. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when people call something written as a comic a 'graphic novel' as it takes away the legitimacy of comics.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2007, 18:08 »

Is this movie based off the book of the same name? It looks cool from the trailer, but one of my friends just told me about the book when I mentioned it too him and it sounds like it'd be a whole lot cooler if it's based off the book.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2007, 04:01 »

As long as Waterworld's up there, why not The Postman, for goodness' sake.

thepugs

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2007, 10:27 »

I will definitely second the Mad Max rec, but I wouldn't agree with Waterworld if you held a gun to my head.

While I am certainly interested in how they will do I Am Legend, I think the pretty huge changes it seems they've made to the story may leave me disappointed in the end.

(Also, read Walking Dead, for serious.)

Parasol

• Not quite a lurker
  • AHHHH! MISSILES!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2007, 14:39 »

The Book, as i've read it many times over the last few years, is phenomenal. I was very excited to hear that they are making a movie about it though i am a little worried because from what i've seen of the trailers it doesn't seem to be totally true to the little details of the book. Hm, anyone else feel that way?

I have heard lots of gripe from my friends about Will Smith playing the part, however i think he will do a wonderful job. I actually think he can be a very powerful actor when he needs to be.

And agreed, Waterworld is also absolutely fantastic.
BEEP BEP

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2007, 16:53 »

The Omega Man (movie)

Okay it's pretty crucial to mention that these two films and the titular film of the thread are based off of the same book. The Last Man On Earth is the best adaptation. It's an old Vincent Price film with excellent pacing, marvelous cinematography and sobering writing. The Omega Man is campy as hell. The Will Smith one could go either way.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2007, 18:52 »

No. You obviously haven't read The Road or been paying attention at all, for that matter.

Also, yeah i can't believe i left out The Postman. That movie is awesome.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2007, 19:05 »

It's got Tom Petty in it. That's all I remember.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2007, 20:53 »

The Omega Man (movie)

Okay it's pretty crucial to mention that these two films and the titular film of the thread are based off of the same book. The Last Man On Earth is the best adaptation. It's an old Vincent Price film with excellent pacing, marvelous cinematography and sobering writing. The Omega Man is campy as hell. The Will Smith one could go either way.

yeah, deffinitely do not watch The Omega Man if your expecting a serious film- go in with no expectations and it's a lotta fun. Also Night of the living dead was also based off of I am Legend, though very loosely. Excellent movie

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2007, 03:52 »

Anyways is right. If zombies were optional the genre wouldn't be worth shit.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2007, 14:17 »

haha ofcourse...

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2007, 15:25 »

It's got Tom Petty in it. That's all I remember.

Yeah, i was so stoked the first time i saw that movie. "oh snap! that's Tom fuckin' Petty!"
and of course, my dad "holy shit! awesome!" He loves Tom Petty.

Mnementh

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2007, 16:54 »

I haven't read the book, but I saw The Last Man on Earth last night (the 1964 version with Vincent Price, which I enjoyed a lot) and I really can't see Will Smith in the roll at all.  It seems more like a Clive Owen type roll.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2007, 17:37 by Daniel »

Simulacra

« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2007, 21:33 »

what is it with will smith fucking up movies based off of fine literature?

*cough*I Robot*cough*

Mnementh

« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2007, 21:34 »

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2007, 21:34 »

I'm touchy whenever someone goes and decides to "retouch" a classic, especially this classic. Could be good, could be bad. If my opinion counts for anything, it'll probably be bad.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2007, 23:54 »

I haven't read the book, but I saw The Last Man on Earth last night (the 1964 version with Vincent Price, which I enjoyed a lot) and I really can't see Will Smith in the roll at all.  It seems more like a Clive Owen type roll.

That and Children of Men just a year after eachother... I think that would be typecasting.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: 01 Nov 2007, 05:34 »

I dont like Will Smith that much..

He seems too much of a comedian for a serious movie like this..
I guess I just have to receive him as a serious actor from now on, since those are the roles hes taking up now.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: 01 Nov 2007, 09:08 »

The trailer gives me a lot more hope for a decent film than the phrase 'I Am Legend adaptation starring Will Smith'.

It's ages since I read the book, and I think I'll keep it that way. Most of the gripin' about this film seems like its going to be fanboy stuff. I'll watch it as objectively as I possibly can.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 01 Nov 2007, 11:17 »

The Last Man on Earth

See? It's so good!

Mnementh

« Reply #22 on: 01 Nov 2007, 14:41 »

I really can't see them ending it the way the ended the 1964 version though.  If they do I will definitely give the movie kudos for taking that sort of risk.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 02 Nov 2007, 12:29 »

They really have to though. It's integral!

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #24 on: 04 Nov 2007, 19:19 »

I watched "the last man on earth" again last night. Great movie- Vincent price was such a man. The ending is really sad, hopeless. I actually find it pretty depressing. I think the ending is vital to the whole premise though, it just doesn't work without it.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #25 on: 14 Dec 2007, 06:22 »

Not having read the original book, I went to see this last night.  It wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.  Think Castaway meets 28 Days Later meets Land of the Dead.  Will Smith was actually believable as Robert Neville.

What was REALLY cool was when we left the theatre and the fog was so bad I couldn't see my car from the front door of the theatre (and I was only parked 8 spaces out).

It scares the piss out of you.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #26 on: 14 Dec 2007, 10:36 »

it's out already? shit, what day is it?

i need to get on the ball.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #27 on: 14 Dec 2007, 13:43 »

No. You obviously haven't read The Road or been paying attention at all, for that matter.
Zombies are never optional, they are a requirement.

I gotta go with the OP here. "The Road" was easily one of the better books I read all last year. It's McCarthy's finest work to date. It makes a hell of a lot of books like it seem embarrassing by comparison. It also fits the genre despite the fact that there is not a single zombie or anything like zombies. Read the book and I think you'll change your mind.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #28 on: 15 Dec 2007, 01:43 »

The Omega Man (movie)

His cooking show was awesome
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2007, 10:53 »

It's McCarthy's finest work to date.

Woah woah woah.

Incredible book but his finest to date?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #30 on: 15 Dec 2007, 13:15 »

I just saw the commercial for this. It made me pretty excited. This and cloverfield are on my to watch in cinema list.

as for recommendations:

Y the Last Man (comic)

brilliant. I'm not sure whether it's finished yet. It kind of went down hill after the first few books, but it was still pretty ace.

Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

TwinkyToes

« Reply #31 on: 16 Dec 2007, 01:34 »

i just saw this without having read the book - very intense. there are some parts where i think everyone was holding their breath. the ending was a little weak (i thought anyway) but overall i liked it. 8/10

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2007, 08:04 »

A friend of mine was telling me about the book ending. I think that would have made a much better ending for the movie. But I don't think the movie versions of the vampire/zombies were smart enough to pull it off.

TwinkyToes

« Reply #33 on: 16 Dec 2007, 18:08 »

after having a day to think about this movie, i come back a bit less satisfied than when i first saw it. the first hour was very good but the second hour was pretty weak. the storyline is pretty weak also. i'd give this a re-rating of 6.5/10

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #34 on: 16 Dec 2007, 19:51 »

The movie was good, but failed to compare to the book. Besides being almost completely different from the original plot, the movie focuses far less on moral corruption and the ironies that Neville is faced with in the book. The first hour of "a day in the life" is spectacular, and gives a sense of solitude rivaling 28 Days Later in terms of scope and imagination.

The movie is much more straight-forward than the book, but Will Smith's acting really raises the bar for what is accomplished: without him, it would be a subpar adventure into the world of genre films. It is perhaps the most tense movie I've ever seen, and acting skill combined with beautiful (and chilling) cinematography kept my heart beating quickly throughout the entire sitting.

Great movie, better book. Experience both.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

audacity

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #35 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:30 »

Didn't read the book, but saw the movie yesterday. I rather enjoyed it!
I might actually read the book now, to compare.

oldestgenxer

« Reply #36 on: 18 Dec 2007, 16:18 »

I remember Omega Man, ' cause I kick it old school.  I've worked in food service, and notice customers have what I call "Charleton Heston Syndrome":  They don't understand why it takes so long when I'm busy.  They think they are the last person on the fucking planet.  I just want to scream at them, "Are the goddamn Omega Man?!"
Now, because of the new movie, I have to say, "Are you Legend, asshole?"  just so they get my sarcasm.

I may not be cut out for customer service.

But my larger point is (because you thought I strayed off topic) sometimes a movie is so dated that a remake is in order.  I can't wait for thirty years from now when they remake "Talledega Nights."

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2007, 21:40 »

Wow, my dad is made of epic and win. Today, we're talking about jackets, and he pulls a 70's belstaff trialmaster (british waxed cotton motorcycle jacket), mint condition, in my size, out of the closet. It had been sitting there for 30 years, and now it's mine. I start poking around online to see how rare they are and I find out that in fact, they have made several appearances in movies of late and they are hella rare and expensive.

What has this to do with I Am Legend, you ask? This is the jacket:

Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

audacity

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:44 »

Dog!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2007, 06:44 »

They changed the ending?  I fucking knew it.

Changing the ending kind of renders the entire thing pointless.  It does look like a good movie, but if the ending is changed then attaching it to the story I Am Legend becomes kind of nonsensical, doesn't it?
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Spinless

« Reply #40 on: 20 Dec 2007, 07:13 »

The way I see it, if they still kill the main character, the ending can't be *that* different. Do they? Come on, it' hardly a spoiler...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #41 on: 20 Dec 2007, 08:38 »

It's pretty different, from what I hear. A co-worker tried to explain it to me and the terms she used were almost entirely unfamiliar.

It's nowhere near the bleak irony of the book or the Vincent Price film.

costacide

« Reply #42 on: 20 Dec 2007, 09:44 »

I went and saw it.

If I'd had anything heavy but still hand-sized I might've thrown it at the screen in disgust at the movie's totally shitty ending.  I hoped against hope they'd maintain the original book ending, and then when whatsherface and her kid show up...the hope rose for a bit. 

Other than that, pretty good.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #43 on: 20 Dec 2007, 12:25 »

One of my friends just saw it and he thought it was completely amazing, so now I'm torn as to whether I want to see it or not. I think I might just wait until it hits the dollar theater so if it sucks I only had to waste $1.50 or so.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #44 on: 20 Dec 2007, 13:43 »

When I saw it, I was pretty satisfied but the ending came very close to ruining the movie. The whole 28 Days Later + Cast Away was pretty neat and such though, the former being one of my favorite movies.

However, the ending is still bugging me, even a week after seeing it. It's basically the same exact end as Signs. And I hate that movie with a passion. And that woman who came in at the end was simply atrocious.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #45 on: 20 Dec 2007, 23:12 »

Yeah, a lot of my friends said that this movie was horrible, and that the last 30 minutes was the only good part to a boring movie, but I felt completely opposite. The visuals and exposition in the first three-quarters of the movie felt extremely powerful and satisfying. Add that to the fact that whilenot only is the ending is completely different from the book, it doesn't really work in the movie either, it feels tacked on, as if they tested the other ending and audiences didn't like it, so they went back and did a re-shoot, leaving us with this crappy cop-out at the end.

I'm agreeing with others that the woman was definitely the weak link here too, her lines felt rushed and unconvincing, and it felt like the director tried to make the audience shift gears and empathize with her character as soon as she got there even though we had spent the entire movie so far focused on Will Smith and getting into his mind.

Also, the CGI infected weren't completely sold on me, but even with all these little things this is still one of the best movies I've seen this year, and also second on the biggest let-down endings, right behind No Country For Old Men, another great film I've seen this year.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #46 on: 20 Dec 2007, 23:19 »

No Country For Old Men ended perfectly, for the kind of film it was.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #47 on: 21 Dec 2007, 00:07 »

guess I just wasn't clued into the kind of film it was then.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2007, 00:08 »

What were you expecting from No Country For Old Men?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2007, 10:14 »

i saw that movie I AM LEGEND last night and it was really good. yeah, the ending didn't quit fit. i don't care that they changed it from the original ending (remakes should make a movie their own, afterall), but it just didn't work out they way they ended it.

*SPOILER*

holy shit when his fucking dog died...i was on the verge of tears. i hate it when animals die.

*END SPOILER*

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up