THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wall E vs Johnny 5  (Read 13463 times)

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
Wall E vs Johnny 5
« on: 02 Mar 2008, 07:11 »

I searched every variation I could think of on those two names, and surprisingly (unless search hates me) found nothing about the similarities between Pixar's "Wall-E" and the Number 5.

I also find the Writer/Directors comments to be a little, I dunno, something that isn't good.  Via Rotten Tomatoes:

"Writer/director Andrew Stanton shared details about the creation of the last robot on Earth and admitted that WALL-E's likeness to the beloved Johnny Five was pure coincidence, explaining that the inspiration for the futuristic trash compactor came from a pair of binoculars he fiddled with at an Oakland A's game. When a WonderCon attendee posed the Short Circuit similarity to Stanton, he replied that he'd honestly only seen the movie once in his lifetime." 

He admits the likeness, but says that its a coincidence?  To again quote RT, "Right..." 
I would think that at a company like Pixar, SOMEONE had to have come out and say "Umm, guys, you know Wall-E kinda looks like Johnny 5?"

I'll still see the movie though, as the animation looks top notch (of course), and its pixar, it is simply impossible to hate their movies. 
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Wall E vs Johnny 5
« Reply #1 on: 02 Mar 2008, 07:57 »

He looks similar to, not exactly like. (Now, if he looked like R2D2 or something, I'm sure people would raise more of a fuss.)

I'm still going to see it. The preview I saw was adorable and Pixar always has fantastic films.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2008, 09:13 »

They both have treads.

It's entirely possible that nobody saw enough of a connection. I know people who've never seen Short Circuit. It's actually not that rare.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

LadyFirelyght

• Plantmonster
  • I fart in your general direction.
« Reply #3 on: 02 Mar 2008, 11:21 »

Me neither, Anyways. I see the similarity, but they're not exactly the same. Like saying that Yoda and Shrek look the same because they're both green, ugly and have long ears.
I'm suspicious of any food that makes its own packaging. There could be spiders inside!

Narr

« Reply #4 on: 02 Mar 2008, 14:33 »

I don't think they look similar enough to warrant a public out-cry.  Wall-E's head does look more like a pair of binoculars than Johnny 5 and they have different body styles and hands.

Just because they are both on 3 point treads does not make them the same.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #5 on: 02 Mar 2008, 17:16 »

I also don't know what Short Circuit is.

Anywho, looking at the photos, Wall-E is a box with a binocular head on 3-point treads.  Johnny 5 is a torso on three point treads with an angry face and a tail that looks like a camera.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #6 on: 02 Mar 2008, 17:44 »

Johnny 5 doesn't always have an angry face though... Those little shutters on his binocular eyes (which they are; he uses them that way pretty often in the movies) tilt in various directions because the eyes are about the only way he can emote... much like Wall-E. I don't really care one way or the other, but when I first saw the clips of Wall-E I immediately thought of Short Circuit. Sounds like the plot will be considerably different regardless though.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2008, 17:54 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #7 on: 02 Mar 2008, 18:14 »

And still no one has explained:

WHAT THE FUCK IS SHORT CIRCUIT?
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #8 on: 02 Mar 2008, 18:21 »

It's a movie about a robot named Johnny 5. Seriously, in the time you took to find capslock you could have googled it.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2008, 18:38 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #9 on: 02 Mar 2008, 18:54 »

I never caps lock, strangely enough.  I always hold down shift.

Edit:  Well, now I know why I never heard of it.  It appears to be a steaming pile of fecal matter along the lines of Skateboard Kid.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2008, 18:56 by Dimmukane »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 02 Mar 2008, 20:01 »

Hey now, when I was a kid, Short Circuit was pretty cool. But then we found the DVD for $5 and watched it again when I was 20, and it's a bit corny, but still kinda funny. I think it's definitely one of those movies that needed to be watched around the time it was made to not be cheesy...

But yeah. Short Circuit wasn't a big enough movie to cause a huge fuss over how Wall-E has the same treads and similar eyes to Johnny 5 and they really aren't the same robot and the movie ideas are completely different.

EDIT: I watched the newer preview of Wall-E and it looks so cute! Even after seeing the short teaser I wanted to see it, but now I know I'm definitely seeing it because it looks too cute to pass up.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2008, 20:18 by Linds »

singeivoire

« Reply #11 on: 02 Mar 2008, 20:14 »

As a child, I was forced to watch Short Circuit (and its absolutely terrible sequel) reglularly by my older brother. It's never fun to be force-fed mediocre films. The vague resemblance between Johnny and Wall-E may be the reason I'm a bit leery of the new Pixar movie. I'll probably get over my reservations in time, but seriously, I look at those triangular treads and feel the urge to hide in my closet  - or maybe call my brother and yell at him.

Lanavae

« Reply #12 on: 02 Mar 2008, 20:35 »

I saw and enjoyed Short Circuit many times when I was younger and didn't think of Johnny 5 when I saw the WallE preview.

I will definitely see WallE

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 03 Mar 2008, 07:51 »

I think we need to turn this thread into a place to find similarities between Wall E and Johnny C.

Separated at birth?

I must draw this to everyone's attention. -JC
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 18:23 by Johnny C »
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 03 Mar 2008, 08:04 »

Aww, I can see it in the eyes. But does Johnny C have treads? That is the question.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 03 Mar 2008, 22:15 »

Why I don't do this often

I would like to see this film, most likely will with my mom.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:51 »

I wasnt making a case for public outcry, merely that I saw the preview for it (first during the superbowl) and immediately thought of Johnny 5.
I did buy the dvd for Short Circuit when it came out, as the first one was excellent (Short Circuit 2 was trash IMO)  but have yet to watch it for fear of childhood-liking-cheesy-and/or-corny-things syndrome. 

I tried to watch the original transformers again, and being now 25, I just couldnt enjoy it... it was TOO cheesy, and it stained my memory.

Like I said in the original post, Ill still see Wall E, if only because Pixar is an amazing animation company, but it will probably be cute, and have enough jokes for adults to get.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...
Pages: [1]   Go Up