THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Am Legend  (Read 24927 times)

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
Re: I Am Legend
« Reply #50 on: 21 Dec 2007, 10:43 »

When I went to see something in the theater recently, (whatever it was must have left quite an impression for me to forget what it was entirely), they showed a trailer for I Am Legend and it looked really good until I realized that what was just spoiled above would probably occur.  I'm glad to see that I was right.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #51 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:15 »

I find it rather ironic that this is the first film adaption to keep the original name, and yet the symbolism behind the name is so skewed in the film that it is almost completely backwards. Oh well, the first 2/3rds of the film were awe-inspiring.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2007, 16:16 »

it felt rushed, the more that i think about it. i don't think the way they sped through his day-to-day life properly conveyed the loneliness of the situation.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #53 on: 23 Dec 2007, 09:00 »

THIS IS A STORY ALL ABOUT WHEN

THE APOCALYPSE KILLED ALL THE WORLD'S MEN

AND VAMPIRES SHOWED UP, JUST PLANT YO GIRTH

I"LL TELL YOU HOW I BECAME THE PRINCE OF THIS PLANET CALLED EARTH
Hate, rain on me

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #54 on: 23 Dec 2007, 09:23 »

The trailer for this film looks pretty epic, 'tis a shame about Will Smith's involvement.
"The system works a bit like a car wash. The man puts his penis in a chamber and presses a button to start the jets of liquid latex, sucked from a detachable cartridge."

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #55 on: 23 Dec 2007, 10:17 »

Why?  He was actually good in it.  Fantastic even.  Something I can't say about the rest of his movies.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2007, 22:46 by Dimmukane »
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #56 on: 23 Dec 2007, 18:28 »

indeed
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #57 on: 25 Dec 2007, 19:11 »

Will Smith is a good actor. Pursuit of Happyness was an excellent movie, guys.

I saw this movie today. Pretty good! I really wished they had used less CGI, however, especially with the infected people when they weren't doing crazy shit. I thought Smith's performance was believable, especially with the emotional attachment he seemed to have with the mannequins and especially Sam. (I felt the same way about Sam, SWM.)I will read the book as soon as I get my hands on a copy, so I don't know how the book ended, but I feel that the ending of the movie could have been better, but it was good for what it was.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #58 on: 26 Dec 2007, 13:25 »

Why?  He was actually good in it.  Fantastic even.  Something I can't say about the rest of his movies.

Did he play the part convincingly? If so i'll likely pay the cinema a visit.
"The system works a bit like a car wash. The man puts his penis in a chamber and presses a button to start the jets of liquid latex, sucked from a detachable cartridge."

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #59 on: 26 Dec 2007, 14:31 »

Yeah, he basically reacted in the same way I see myself reacting to his situation.  When one of your mannequins appears to move on its on, you go nuts.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #60 on: 26 Dec 2007, 16:29 »

well especially if you haven't seen another living person in like 3 years.

I like Will Smith as an actor a lot actually, I think for the exception of say Wild Wild West I think he's managed to mature in his acting performances as he's aged. I, Robot, Pursuit of Happiness and this as his most recent movies have all been really great performances by him. Now for the plot and script of I, Robot I can't say much about, but I think he did the best with what he got.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #61 on: 27 Dec 2007, 10:00 »

awesome

cory<3

i saw this. i liked it. i was scared and i cried.

i knew the ending would be different than the ending of the book, but really i don't think the book ending would have worked all that well in the movie. will smith is slowly gaining my respect as an actor; i thought he was really good in this movie.

i started reading the book when i first saw the movie trailer, but i stopped because i just couldn't get into it. i can't figure out what neville's motivation is in the book... why does he go through that routine every day? at least in the movie they made neville obsessed with finding the cure. i only got 7ish chapters in though... does something happen later to reveal his motivation for living in the book?
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

rae

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #62 on: 27 Dec 2007, 10:15 »

I liked it, I haven't read the book and if anything I'm definitely going to go out of my way to buy a copy.  I thought Will Smith was excellent, I thought the overall bleakness of the film, (especially the posters and various sources throughout the film highlighting just how quickly the virus took hold) was conveyed very well.

No-one is ever completely happy with film adaptions.
Mook.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #63 on: 28 Dec 2007, 20:35 »

I have to say, except for perhaps the last shot, I was totally behind this movie. Will Smith gave a good performance most of the time, and an absolutely stellar performance the rest of it (at a few points I thought he was a little dull, but as I thought about it I could attribute this as part of an attempt at realism). Maybe it's just that I watch too few scary movies (for a reason - I generally don't enjoy any part of being scared), but I wasn't really distracted at all by the CG on the vampires. I loved how they made them behave, too.

It might not be something I appreciate as much upon successive viewings, but I have to say I had a great time seeing this in the theater.

FUBAR

« Reply #64 on: 01 Jan 2008, 19:24 »

good movie by itself, but does not do the book justice.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #65 on: 02 Jan 2008, 10:46 »

I thought it was a good film but not amazing. The highlight was Will Smith who was excellent.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

chrobae

« Reply #66 on: 05 Jan 2008, 15:12 »

First off, I would like to say that watching the "teaser" ruined the whole experience for me.  I haven't read the book that the movie is based on, however, as it so often happens the teaser kind of rounded off scenes which would have probably been better had I not seen them before watching the actual movie.  Some things that I liked from the movie were the long quiet scenes, combined with the talent of Will Smith.  The third third of the movie is taken over by digital effects, making it seem more like a game than a movie.  The ending seems to be yelling "There will be a sequel!" however it might have simply not been fulfilling accidentally.  Basically, this is an average to good movie which may be more fun to watch in a cinema or an airplane.

Spoiler:

How can the creepazoids be so strong even though the virus supposedly makes them weak and starves their body?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #67 on: 05 Jan 2008, 21:19 »

I don't suppose you've heard of the idea of bloodlust?  Think of it as vampire jihad, and that's how determined they are to get 'nourishment'. 

ohsweetjesusno

« Reply #68 on: 06 Jan 2008, 01:51 »

They're progressively malnourished but still manage to display super human strength... perhaps it's bloodlust/adrenaline/something. < <

chrobae

« Reply #69 on: 06 Jan 2008, 07:02 »

Seriously, look at this guy, he is relatively "buff".

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #70 on: 06 Jan 2008, 08:44 »

Maybe it's cuz there's a lot of protein in blood?  I don't know, suspend your disbelief a little bit, sheesh.

chrobae

« Reply #71 on: 06 Jan 2008, 09:25 »

Sorry, I get obsessed easily.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #72 on: 06 Jan 2008, 15:32 »

I saw this on Friday night and I was pretty impressed. I haven't read the book and truth be told, I probably won't. But nevertheless I really enjoyed the film and the ending, while not satisfactory made sense to me, in a lazy kind of way. At any rate I'm obviously not that annoyed by it.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #73 on: 06 Jan 2008, 18:25 »

The Vincent Price film is available for free over at The Internet Archive.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #74 on: 06 Jan 2008, 19:50 »

You should read the road by cormac mcarthy

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #75 on: 07 Jan 2008, 04:01 »

This really exceeded expectations for me. I thought Smith was great, the plot was well worked. And damn was it tense! My girlfreind cut off the circulation in my hand fairly well throughout.

The ending didn't annoy me. It didn't feel tacked on too me. The girl comes just as much out of nowhere in The Last Man..., and both endings work in there own way.

Ugjer

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #76 on: 07 Jan 2008, 04:53 »

It's like the movie says: "Oh man! Everything is so screwed up! We're doomed!"
And the ending is saying: "Don't worry, things will be fine eventually.."

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #77 on: 07 Jan 2008, 05:14 »

SPOILERZ

When that lady said she was from Maryland, my entire row stood up and cheered.
When she admitted to having never heard of Bob Marley, I stood up and took it back.

Pretty much other than that I thought it was fantastic.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

chrobae

« Reply #78 on: 07 Jan 2008, 05:20 »

I think it would have worked better if the woman were to have been introduced earlier in the movie.  Maybe if we were to have followed her while the infection was spreading, that would have been interesting, and then towards the end they meet.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #79 on: 07 Jan 2008, 08:54 »

i sort of liked this movie, at part i loved it, but there was something about the end that grated on me.

i havent read the book but by god i saw his self-sacrifice coming. and i also agree that they should have dragged out the idea his loneliness longer. not only that, but the sudden trust between will smith and the other 2 was so sudden it was totally unbelievable. they should have extended the time they spent as a 3 together so we can see where all this trust comes from.

aside from that, creepiest scene of the movie = when he walks into that very darkroom and his flashlight sort of sweeps across and then focuses on the huddle of infected dudes. you never really see any social element to mutants/zombies and shit in films like this, so to see them all grouped together like that was kind of freaky.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #80 on: 07 Jan 2008, 09:28 »

SPOILERZ

When that lady said she was from Maryland, my entire row stood up and cheered.
When she admitted to having never heard of Bob Marley, I stood up and took it back.

Pretty much other than that I thought it was fantastic.

That's basically what happened when I saw it.  I didn't stand up to take it back, I just let out an audible exasperated sigh.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #81 on: 07 Jan 2008, 10:38 »

The Vincent Price film is available for free over at The Internet Archive.

I'm just bringing this up again because this was less of a suggestion and more of a demand.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

simplename9

• Plantmonster
« Reply #82 on: 07 Jan 2008, 12:22 »

I though it was an ok movie. Although there was much flashbacking.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #83 on: 07 Jan 2008, 14:54 »

Yeah, exposition is the worst thing in film these days.

I really liked that while Neville was a really good protagonist he had obviously eaten a pretty large slice of hubris pie which was inevitably his downfall.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #84 on: 06 Mar 2008, 12:45 »

I know this thread's a little old, but I just saw an alternate ending that is worse, here: http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/144947/I-am-Legend-Original-Ending.html

Muskrat121

« Reply #85 on: 07 Mar 2008, 09:27 »

I enjoyed this movie.

Actually that ending was just about exactly what I was expecting while I was watching it.

I was realived that they chose the ending they did.  This alternate ending makes me mad.

Teh Geek Lord

• Furry furrier
  • Well, that didn't go as planned
« Reply #86 on: 07 Mar 2008, 09:36 »

The movie was good, I did enjoy it.  It seemed rather cookie cutter though as far as the plot was concerned.  Still a great watch, though.

warofthebees

« Reply #87 on: 08 Mar 2008, 04:30 »

Good until the last part.  That scene where the dog runs into the building had me on the edge of my seat.  I don't know if it was because I was watching a bootleg version with low lighting, or if it was intentionally that dark, but it was really a tense scene.

Fletch

« Reply #88 on: 09 Mar 2008, 04:08 »

I was realived that they chose the ending they did.  This alternate ending makes me mad.
What the? The *movie* was the alternate ending.
I wonder, how many people saw 1408? They actually made a couple of endings for that, one of which ends with the main character dying. In my opinion, this movie also managed to do the "one man movie" better than IAL.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 02:47 by Fletch »

öde

« Reply #89 on: 09 Mar 2008, 08:07 »

Nice film, until the plot happens.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up