THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 19:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An observation  (Read 1979 times)

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
An observation
« on: 28 Oct 2007, 02:18 »

So, this was brought back to my mind by the recent mention of R&G are Dead in the thread on plays. In the film version (also directed by Tom Stoppard, and one of my favorite movies to date), Tim Roth (I've forgotten which one he plays! It's been a while since I've seen it. You'd be more understanding if you'd seen it.) remarks that he wouldn't mind spending his whole life on boats. Something about a prow and a stern and finite and infinite. (I've only read through the play once, and there are a few major differences - not sure if this was in there or not.)

Tim Roth ALSO went on to star in the Giuseppe Tornatore film The Legend of 1900. In this film, he plays a character who indeed spends his whole life on a boat. For much the same reasons!

A coincidence? MAYBE?

There's something in Daoism, about the infinite out of the finite, that I also just read, that also reminded me about this. But Tim Roth? Boats?

I'll see if I can dredge up relevant script excerpts later.

If you just don't care, share another observation of yours so this thread doesn't completely go to waste.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: An observation
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2007, 08:53 »

Roth played Guildenstern.

There are only a few major differences between the play and the movie

Spoilers I guess.

All of Rosencrantz's little scientific discoveries were added to the movie. The scenes with the players performing were considerably lengthened. And The scenes speaking with Hamlet were lengthened a lot. Minus a few other minor word changes, the scripts are almost exact.

Yet, I don't know how much the two would be related. Mostly because Guildenstern's philosophy changes every page, it's more that he waxes on, without actually meaning anything he says. If not for the abrupt ending, I would not have been surprised if Guildenstern went on to hate boats later in the story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up