THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 10:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robert Jordan...  (Read 6921 times)

LordNagash

Robert Jordan...
« on: 17 Sep 2007, 15:42 »

Baggy

Re: Robert Jordan...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2007, 19:31 »

This is the absolute worst news I have heard in months...he was a great man, and a great writer, and its too bad he wasn't able to finish out his series.

His wife said she would continue his legacy at one point if he didn't make it, and I can only hope she does it justice.

RIP James Oliver Rigney Jr.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2007, 07:50 »

Man, that's pretty awful. He was one heck of a force within the fantasy community.

He shall be missed.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Baggy

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:33 »

Don't worry Anyways, I pretty much thought the same thing.  I still hope his wife continues for him, if not for his sake, so that my mind can be put to rest with some kind of conclusion.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2007, 14:14 »

This saddened me a lot. I though he had a few years left in him, enough to finish this one at least.

May you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2007, 13:03 »

Dudes, he will totally be thrust back into the Wheel eventually.
Maybe he can rewrite the series then?
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2007, 18:09 »

After about the 4th book I started finding Wheel of Time to be really tedious and long for the sake of length, but he had his moments, definitely.

Word is that Jordan was working off of notes when he died on the last book, and he had told his family the entirety of the story, so the chances that his wife and his publisher will finish the series are good.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2007, 21:15 »

Oh man, I can't even talk about this right now... I think I'm gonna be depressed for a few weeks...
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2007, 13:20 »

I'm glad - to an extent - that I'm only on the seventh book, so the series will be easier to put down, right? No. I'm extremely disheartened by this, because this sounds like a potential 'Frank Herbert's son comes to the rescue to right the conclusion to his father's masterpiece'. I do not look forward to disappointment.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2007, 13:57 »

y'know, i've always been intrigued by this series, and have heard great things, but i never picked it up because the length seemed too daunting.  now i don't think i'll ever read it.
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2007, 19:21 »

I'm glad - to an extent - that I'm only on the seventh book, so the series will be easier to put down, right? No. I'm extremely disheartened by this, because this sounds like a potential 'Frank Herbert's son comes to the rescue to right the conclusion to his father's masterpiece'. I do not look forward to disappointment.

Or a "Gee, wouldn't it be cool to package and sell my dad's manuscript for Children of Hurin to get a whole lot of money off of it? With a few edits here and there of course..." done by Tolkien's son. I'm not touching that thing with a ten foot pole. But to be fair I've been reading his blog pretty much since Robert Jordan was diagnosed with amyloidosis and his wife posted there pretty often, and I'm betting she would be perfect to finish her husband's work. But then I'm betting she wouldn't have to do it for profit either, seeing as how many books the series has sold.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Postino

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2007, 22:06 »

Well he told both Wilson and Harriet how the story was going to end and how all the plot points were supposed to be wrapped up... so its really just a matter of putting it all together.

Baggy

« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2007, 12:34 »

Yeah, and I remember reading at one point that his wife had agreed to finish the series for him if he couldn't.  I'm pretty positive she can, and I have a feeling he may have been a good way through writing it as is.

After about the 4th book I started finding Wheel of Time to be really tedious and long for the sake of length, but he had his moments, definitely.

It was definitely lengthy, but its because he was creating a whole world.  Some people thought that much of the detail he provided was unnecessary, but I found every sentence to have meaning in exposing the personalities of characters and the intricasies of the world he made.  I can understand where some people might get bored though, its definitely not a crusading adventurous hero series, the pace often slows down

y'know, i've always been intrigued by this series, and have heard great things, but i never picked it up because the length seemed too daunting.  now i don't think i'll ever read it.

You definitely should read it anyways.  The length will seem like nothing (once you get beyond the introduction of the first book).  And maybe the length will be a good thing, it means the last book should be finished before you get there!

MusicScribbles

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2007, 20:26 »

I understand that this could turn out to not be too much of a bad thing, but in the long run, no one can completely replicate Robert Jordan's writing style. You cannot become another person completely, no matter how good Frank Herbert's son knew his father (Which, apparently, he didn't.). So, in the end we will have a 'possible' ending to the series, but never the real thing. This is Dune all over again, only for high fantasy writing.

Edit: I also just noticed that my picture caption disagrees with my title, appropriately.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2007, 14:12 »

It's still great!  He was on the last book, which is supposedly being finished form his notes by the editor and his wife.  If you still don't want to read it, try out 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by George R.R. Martin.   Great stuff -- and it's being made into an HBO series.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2007, 18:59 »

Yeah, I kinda wonder how that'll turn out. I've enjoyed a Song of Ice and Fire so far, though like a lot of High fantasy (including Robert Jordan's) I've found it to be far too wordy in parts. This isn't to say I don't like it, far from it, but I wonder how they are going to compact even the first book into an HBO series or mini-series. And plus George R.R. Martin totally left Tyrion out of the last book, which to me is unforgivable. I want more of the disfigured half-insane dwarf!

Freak Off A Leash

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2007, 10:22 »

I heard that he had cancer the poor guy :( I work in a book store so i've seen the force that robert jordan had on his fans it is a terrible loss.

leave for no raisin

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2007, 12:02 »

No, he had amyloidosis, which is a really, really rare blood disorder.

p.s. Try not to resurrect dead threads too often.  You might get your head eaten or something.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2007, 12:15 by leave for no raisin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up