THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charlton Heston Is Dead  (Read 15600 times)

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Charlton Heston Is Dead
« on: 07 Apr 2008, 23:04 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/movies/06heston.html?bl&ex=1207800000&en=aa6d7152e3bbd3ae&ei=5087%0A

Charlton Heston is dead at 84. The man was truly a legend, so much so that I never really thought he would die.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Narr

Re: Charlton Heston Is Dead
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2008, 23:18 »

I totally thought I read about that here on these forums but can't seem to find another topic about it.

I heard about this and was pretty sad.  Mr. Heston was truly a great actor and a political activist (whether you agree with his stances or not, he was pretty influential, is all I mean).

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2008, 01:59 »

The ten commandments was just on TV a couple weeks ago, too. I haven't seen anything with him starring that I know of, my dad wanted me to watch Planet of the Apes when I was four, but my mother vetoed that.

Until after he was dead, I didn't really have much respect for him, then there was a tribute thread on a forum I lurk in, and I found out a lot that I had never heard, including that he marched with MLK in the early sixties. Just barely survived the 40th anniversary of MLK's death. While I don't agree with the whole "Cold Dead Hands" bit (two problems: firstly, I end up dead, secondly, they get my gun), I do respect him very much now.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2008, 04:39 »

The man was definitely an actor of his time (damn he could chew scenery), and a man of strong convictions, mostly based around personal freedom and taking responsibility for your own choices. 

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 08 Apr 2008, 09:55 »

Please say an ATF agent was prying a gun from his fingers even as he expired.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2008, 11:32 »

This is really sad news. A Touch of Evil will always be one of my favorite movies. It's just too great seeing Charlton Heston dressed up as a Mexican the whole time. Plus, super fat Orson Wells.

But yeah. I'll be thinking of his family.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2008, 12:24 »

Man...I don't think I've ever seen a Charlton Heston film, but damn am I sad about this.

How come everyone seems to be dying lately? Seriously. It seems like every week there is someone new --either a celebrity of some kind or someone on a more local or personal level. It's pretty crazy. It makes me feel old (and I'm only 19...I shouldn't feel old for at least another decade!)

Muskrat121

« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2008, 13:06 »

I wonder what it would have been like if his dimentia (or what ever it was) progressed to the point where he forgot everything EXCEPT the roles he had played...

He would be the last man on Earth leading his people to the promised land which is in fact ruled by vicous apes who eat each other in the fourm of little green crackers!  FANTASTIC!

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2008, 13:25 »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8gQ9IXT8hg

My favorite Heston part. Or cameo at least.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2008, 13:32 »

I danced a little jig when I heard he was dead.

My favorite movie part was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iuEcu7O50

Suck it, Moses.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2008, 15:14 »

All I can think of when I think of Charlton Heston is reruns of the man show.

"Hello, I'm Charlton Heston's penis..."

But seriously, I love Charlton Heston's stuff. I mean, maybe it was just because the Planet of the Apes remake was so godawful, but that's one of my favorite classic films.
"You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell! "
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2008, 16:14 »

How come everyone seems to be dying lately? Seriously.

Because they are old and everyone got sick of the old-person smell.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Ikrik

« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2008, 17:31 »

The man will be remembered by a lot of people.  I'll probably end up renting/buying a bunch of his films now, some channel had a special on him after he died, just talking about the roles he played.  Say what you want about him being a gun fanatic, the dude knew how to dominate a film.  I think it's unfortunate that most people think of him as a bumbling gun-crazy nut after Michael Moore's film, which is unfortunate.  Remember the man for being a damn good actor.

Nodaisho

« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2008, 17:35 »

Doubtful, his wife was with him, and I am sure she could shoot as well.

Doombilly, I am disgusted with you. Why would you be happy at the death of such a man? I could understand Fred Phelps, but Charlton Heston?

Oh, and Ikrik, at the time that he was interviewed by Moore, he was already beginning to have Alzheimers, I have seen what that does to people, my great grandfather had it, my grandfather, father, and I will all likely have it unless a cure is discovered.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2008, 18:22 »

Goddamn you I got so excited when I thought for a second Fred Phelps may be dead.

Nodaisho

« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2008, 18:56 »

I think it is a sign of something that he isn't, not that god loves him or anything, just that people will tolerate quite a lot of ignorant hateful bile.

Ikrik

« Reply #16 on: 08 Apr 2008, 19:24 »

Doubtful, his wife was with him, and I am sure she could shoot as well.

Doombilly, I am disgusted with you. Why would you be happy at the death of such a man? I could understand Fred Phelps, but Charlton Heston?

Oh, and Ikrik, at the time that he was interviewed by Moore, he was already beginning to have Alzheimers, I have seen what that does to people, my great grandfather had it, my grandfather, father, and I will all likely have it unless a cure is discovered.

my grandmother used to live in a nursing home where 99% of the people who were in it had Alzheimers, the two who didn't were my grandmother and her roommate.  I can honestly say that it is the most frightening disease in the world.  If I ever get diagnosed with it I will seriously consider killing myself.  Although all the males on my dad's side don't really get diseases, they just get heart-attacks, so hopefully I will never get this disease.

Nodaisho

« Reply #17 on: 08 Apr 2008, 19:33 »

I wouldn't kill myself, honestly, I think that is one of the most selfish and inconsiderate things you could do, but yeah, it sucks. At least I have 60 years or so until it starts, so odds are good we find a cure by then. I can't really complain even if I do get it, both sides of my family have above average lifespans, so I will have lived longer than most people by the time I get it.

Ikrik

« Reply #18 on: 08 Apr 2008, 19:36 »

I wouldn't kill myself, honestly, I think that is one of the most selfish and inconsiderate things you could do, but yeah, it sucks.

As selfish as forcing your family and friends take care of you as slowly waste away for 10 years?  Watch as you slowly forget everything, forget about them?  Watch as you start pacing the halls and start groaning and screaming?  I'm not sure I'd want to force anyone in my family to do that.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 08 Apr 2008, 20:43 »

Found out last night when the news did his life and times, though this should have tipped me off .

Something I did not know, he was a big follower of the Civil Rights movement, and I think they mentioned something about him being along side MLK Jr.

Nodaisho

« Reply #20 on: 08 Apr 2008, 20:59 »

Yeah, I have seen a lot of pictures of him marching with the civil rights movement. One of the various black advocacy groups issued a press release mentioning him, saying that they preferred to remember the phase of his life where he was marching, rather than the phase of his life where he was head of the NRA. I have also heard him being accused of being racist and sexist, probably to do with things like asking why it is that black pride or hispanic pride are well and good, but if someone claims to be proud of being white, shaved heads and white hoods immediately come to mind.

Oh, and Ikrik, yes, I think it is more selfish to kill yourself, we knew he was dying, and we were sad that he couldn't always remember us (He kept calling me by my father's name), but we were glad he was with us.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2008, 21:02 by Nodaisho »

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 08 Apr 2008, 21:46 »

Goddamn you I got so excited when I thought for a second Fred Phelps may be dead.

Me too! It's cruel to get someone's hopes up like that.

Also, it's pretty mean to be actually happy (not just making oh so witting "cold dead hands" comments) that some old actor who had a terrible disease is dead. Michael Moore came off as such a bigger prick than Heston in Bowling for Columbine.

I am pretty down with the second ammendment.

Also, my Grandma went to school with Heston. One time she walked backstage at a show and Heston's girlfriend was hitting him on the bare chest and saying "you magnificent bastard!" Or so my Grandmother said. She's so good at telling stories that that I was in hysterics.

That's pretty much all I have to say about Heston. Except that the older I get, the more people I have heard of die.

Nodaisho

« Reply #22 on: 08 Apr 2008, 22:13 »

Sorry, I was just making an example of one of the few people that I wouldn't put out if they were on fire (and the part of me that I try to ignore would probably be tempted to make a joke about being flaming).

I never actually saw Bowling for Columbine, I do remember hearing that during an interview with Marilyn Manson, there was a pretty good quote, though why he was interviewed is beyond me, apparently someone didn't get the message that the shooters actually thought Manson was lame. If it is actually about just gun laws and music, I don't think I will bother seeing it, because correlation does not equal causality, and since I heard they broke 19 federal laws, I seriously doubt that making more laws would have been effective. Attempting to make more laws when someone breaks them is akin to putting barbed wire on top of a fence when someone is going through a hole on the bottom.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #23 on: 08 Apr 2008, 23:46 »

This is why memorial threads are lame. Instead of talking about a dude who punched apes in the face we are discussing gun control YET AGAIN.

Charlton Heston was pretty rad, even if I don't approve of some of his political leanings. Planet of the Apes is an awesome fucking film.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Ikrik

« Reply #24 on: 09 Apr 2008, 00:26 »

This is why memorial threads are lame. Instead of talking about a dude who punched apes in the face we are discussing gun control YET AGAIN.

Charlton Heston was pretty rad, even if I don't approve of some of his political leanings. Planet of the Apes is an awesome fucking film.

Heston of the Apes....is better.  I think I'll download it and put it on my iPod so I can remember him whenever I feel like it....
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Narr

« Reply #25 on: 09 Apr 2008, 10:51 »

I didn't know gun control was in issue that genuinely evoked hate in people.  I agree with what Nodaisho said.  Making more laws when people are breaking the ones already in place really is like putting barbed wire on a fence with a tunnel under it.  (Awesome anaology, man.)

I say let's remember him as a magnificent actor and an advocate for freedom.

R.I.P., Mr. Heston.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 09 Apr 2008, 14:05 »

Meh when the NRA Vans roll into town DIRECTLY after a horrible shooting and they tramp out that old fool to sway people, you know I don't care. Fuck it. I am really, really pleased he is dead. There's a lot of alzheimers in my family. I'll probably go down in a indistinct blaze of incomprehension. I'll end up shitting myself and muttering "...fucking Moses...suck a gun..dirty apes..." Or something.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Narr

« Reply #27 on: 09 Apr 2008, 15:56 »

In general, yelling "I'm so happy" in a thread that's a memoriam to someone is a good way to become really unpopular really fast.

Guns can do pretty destructive things, no one is doubting that, but hating on someone that thinks it's our right to be able to own them is pretty silly.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 09 Apr 2008, 19:50 »

It's true, though, that on several occasions, the NRA did in fact come right in and hold pro-gun rallies immediately after a shooting.

Just as hating on someone at his funeral could be seen in poor taste, so can coming into town and screaming "Guns are awexome!" right after a massacre or a tragedy at an elementary school is also in very poor taste, and the man could rightly be criticized for leading the organization that did so.

Nodaisho

« Reply #29 on: 09 Apr 2008, 20:35 »

Meh when the NRA Vans roll into town DIRECTLY after a horrible shooting and they tramp out that old fool to sway people, you know I don't care. Fuck it. I am really, really pleased he is dead. There's a lot of alzheimers in my family. I'll probably go down in a indistinct blaze of incomprehension. I'll end up shitting myself and muttering "...fucking Moses...suck a gun..dirty apes..." Or something.
Well, I suppose I should be glad you were so vocal about it, that way I know who to completely ignore, and who to taunt when someone he admires is dead, though I will have the decency to do it in PMs, rather than angering all people that liked the person.

Throughout his life, the man stood for what he believed, that is something that should be admired, even if you don't agree with what he believes.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #30 on: 09 Apr 2008, 20:59 »

It's true, though, that on several occasions, the NRA did in fact come right in and hold pro-gun rallies immediately after a shooting.

Just as hating on someone at his funeral could be seen in poor taste, so can coming into town and screaming "Guns are awexome!" right after a massacre or a tragedy at an elementary school is also in very poor taste, and the man could rightly be criticized for leading the organization that did so.

I'm pretty sure the point was, though, to educate people about guns. Maybe they didn't communicate very well, or maybe people overreacted, but my guess is they came to say something along the lines of "hey, yeah, this was a tragedy, and we're really sorry, but it's not because of the second ammendment, it's because someone never taught the shooter proper gun control/ anger management." It's important to think about those things, too. Personally, I wish gun control was a lot more restricted, but it's irresponsible to lay all the blame on the NRA (and, by extension, Charlton Heston), and they were (probably) just there to make that clear.

Narr

« Reply #31 on: 09 Apr 2008, 22:18 »

I don't recall the NRA showing up and touting "YAY GUNS!  EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A GUN!" after those events, either.  RobbieOC here has the gist of it, I'd wager.

As I said before, guns can do terrible destructive things, but blaming a group of people who think people have the right to own guns as protected by the constitution seems pretty backwards.  That's like blaming Jesus Christ for all the terrible things done "in his name" by fanatics that skewed what Christianity is all about.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #32 on: 09 Apr 2008, 23:24 »

Or Islam, for that matter.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:19 »

Throughout his life, the man stood for what he believed, that is something that should be admired, even if you don't agree with what he believes.

Not really!

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:59 »

So did Jesse Helms. I laughed my arse off when he died. Ronald Reagan, ditto. Nixon, I through a party. If it makes you feel good, laugh it up when I slough off this mortal coil. I won't care. I'll be dead. In fact I don't care now. Oooooo! You ignored me on a forum. And I might get a heated PM?! I might have to just cap myself now. Good thing I don't have a gun. sniff
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2008, 09:06 »

RIP Mr Heston. A shame he isn't known by many young people as a great actor or civil rights activist, but rather as a gun nut and NRA leader. At least the gun can now be prised from his cold dead fingers though

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2008, 11:36 »

Nixon, I through a party. If it makes you feel good, laugh it up when I slough off this mortal coil.

I love the thought of someone old enough to throw a party for Nixon's death who now has to get on the internet and troll in order to make himself feel big.

Also, who isn't able to spell "threw."

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:22 »

Nixon, I through a party. If it makes you feel good, laugh it up when I slough off this mortal coil.

I love the thought of someone old enough to throw a party for Nixon's death who now has to get on the internet and troll in order to make himself feel big.

Also, who isn't able to spell "threw."
I'm not sure how any of this is supposed to make me fell embiggened?
Ew, I just thru up a little.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2008, 13:24 »

RIP Mr Heston. A shame he isn't known by many young people as a great actor or civil rights activist, but rather as a gun nut and NRA leader. At least the gun can now be prised from his cold dead fingers though

Quick question - why is everyone who enjoys firearms a "gun nut"? 

Looking at Mr. Heston's acting career it is a good thing that he was making movies when he was, as I don't think his acting style would be appreciated today.  His was a style geared towards the epic motion pictures and there just aren't enough of those style being made today.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2008, 13:30 »

Interesting question. Note that if you search for the word "nut" on this page the only people's post (aside from this one) that it comes up in is someone decrying him being called one. ZOMG, it's the Warrr on Christmas all over again!!!11
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Narr

« Reply #40 on: 10 Apr 2008, 13:31 »

At least it's plainly apparent that doombilly is a troll, so I'll know to ignore him in future threads.

I'm glad I'm not such an anger miser that I enjoy the deaths of people who disagree with me on political policy.

Nodaisho

« Reply #41 on: 10 Apr 2008, 19:07 »

I would say that "gun nut" is frequently used as a joking term among gun lovers, similar to the term "Evil Black Rifle", for the guns that people try to get banned even though they are completely functionally the same as other guns that just don't look as scary, and aren't being banned. Or maybe you are a gun nut when you can rattle off the Manual of Arms for dozens of weapons, know the best loading for accuracy with ten calibers, and personally own at least fifty guns and at least five thousand rounds of ammunition. That isn't really that much ammo, though, they sell .22 by... I can't recall, either 1000 or 5000, and you can go through a lot in one day at the range.
Pages: [1]   Go Up