THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Geek"-oriented webcomics  (Read 7547 times)

Kilgore_Trout

"Geek"-oriented webcomics
« on: 03 Nov 2007, 05:44 »

Could someone tell me more about this geek-subculture. All to many webcomics seem to be based on this theme. I might have lost track somewhere but i don´t find it very creative. QC has its indie-references, and altough they´re geeky, they create a warm, fuzzy feeling of recognition. But references to videogames, dorky tv-series and commercial hollywood movies that will be forgotten in two years just does´nt feel that original. I´m a fan of videogames myself, and yes i may have seen every episode of star trek TNG, but what motivates someone to spend time creating a comic about "geeks" talking about different nerdy hypes, when you could be doing art?   Sorry if i may seem arrogant, but i just saw one too many "two guys who happens to be geeks live together and they talk about videogames and make hilarious nerdy references and someday a girl shows up and guess what, she´s a geek too" comics. A waste of talent if you ask me. Please just take this as a post in the "geek" debate, i´m not trying to hurt somebody, perhaps i just don´t get it?
Cheers.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
Re: "Geek"-oriented webcomics
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2007, 14:42 »

Harsh...

My comic isnt like that, Eventually It'll be two guys who happens to be geeks live together and they talk about videogames and make hilarious nerdy references and someday a guy shows up and guess what, he´s a geek too-esque comic.

It'll be genius!
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 2007, 00:50 »

Sorry if i may seem arrogant, but i just saw one too many "two guys who happens to be geeks live together and they talk about videogames and make hilarious nerdy references and someday a girl shows up and guess what, she´s a geek too" comics.
*4lvl(_)53) 5^/027* [721+417+)31

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 2007, 21:29 »

A lot of print comics are about people with superpowers fighting crimes and monsters and things from space. That can all be mainly traced back to the huge popularity of Superman. A lot of webcomics (but I would argue by no means an equal portion) are of the 'two gamers on a couch' genre. This can be mainly traced back to the huge popularity of Penny Arcade. Pale imitator Ctrl+Alt+Del shoulders some blame too. Interestingly, Penny Arcade is the only webcomic of this genre that has ever really managed to be consistently funny. I suspect an element of this is how easy such strips are to draw. The other reason is that it's pretty hard to get such comics published in regular avenues, combined with the fact that on the internet there is an obvious natural audience for comics about computer-based subjects. You'll also find a lot of comics about subcultures, a lot of comics about angsty teenagers and a lot of comics about furries, for these same reasons.

I'd question that 'all too many webcomics' line though. Maybe that was true a couple of years ago, but, I still doubt that actually. I have 28 links in my 'webcomics' bookmarks folder, representing a variety of webcomics both current and past that I read/have read/whatever. Of these, only two could be said to belong to this genre. These are the aforementioned Penny Arcade and VG Cats. A couple of others (XKCD, Orneryboy) have geek references of varying strength, though only XKCD ever really bases itself on this. There is also one (Goblins) that is essentially set inside a game of Dungeons and Dragons but, meh.  The rest of them are about a pretty wide variety of things, everything from high school relationships, to gay vampires to the comic doings of space mercenaries and ninjas practicing medicine. Of what I would loosely call the 'ten best webcomics', based on sheer fucking personal bias (Achewood, Scary Go Round, The Adventures of Dr. Mcninja, Nothing Nice to Say, Dinosaur Comics, Penny Arcade, XKCD, Perry Bible Fellowship, Goats, Girl Genius) only one matches your description, though Nothing Nice to Say has kind of the same dynamic.

As for your contention that such comics are unoriginal because of their outdated references, umn, do you read any political cartoonists? I've got collections of things like Nature Notes, Giles and If... which I still find amusing despite the fact that all of the references are out of date, in Giles case up to 50 years out of date. This is because GOOD comics can work around being too much of their time by having strong characters and simply good humour.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #4 on: 05 Nov 2007, 07:31 »

As for your contention that such comics are unoriginal because of their outdated references, umn, do you read any political cartoonists? I've got collections of things like Nature Notes, Giles and If... which I still find amusing despite the fact that all of the references are out of date, in Giles case up to 50 years out of date. This is because GOOD comics can work around being too much of their time by having strong characters and simply good humour.

A horrifying observation I made earlier this year is that although Bill Hicks died before George W. Bush came to power, my friend (who had no knowledge of Hicks) couldn't tell whether his rants were about George Bush Sr. or his son.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2007, 15:08 »

I would love a link to that dungeons and dragons comic. I was debating whether or not my comic should take that turn..
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2007, 18:56 »

[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2007, 19:35 »

Thanks! You're the best!  :mrgreen:   :lol:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 06 Nov 2007, 21:22 »

I'm just in here to heavily support Khar's top ten comic list with the exception of dropping Goats, which I like but don't love, for Lackadaisy Cats, which is beautiful, interesting, and features anthropomorphic cats without being a creepy furry comic. But, you know, personal taste and whatever and Khar's personal taste is awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #9 on: 07 Nov 2007, 01:21 »

I'm gonna have to recommend The Order of the Stick if you want a nerdy comic. Actually, it's funny even to non-nerds, but it helps a lot if you know the difference between a D20 and a Feat is. The art style is simplistic, but (like all webcomics) it does improve with time. And the story can really catch up with you.

Shamana

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2007, 15:51 »

I would love a link to that dungeons and dragons comic. I was debating whether or not my comic should take that turn..

Yep, Burlew is the man ;) I'm also a fan of Nodwick and Full Frontal Nerdity, and What's New with Phil and Dixie is an oldie but goodie. Incidentally, Studio Folio's current project - Girl Genius - is something you should sink your teeth into as well.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2007, 17:29 »

Goddamit now everyone is recommending Girl Genius.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2007, 17:53 »

I read Girl Genius a year ago.

I should catch up again.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Sherwood WindRunner

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2007, 19:32 »

Hmmm. I see what you mean, and I've seen alot of them too. But, here's the thing:

Each of those comics have their little brand of comedy. Sure, they may be in the same genere, but they each have the're own joke and original artwork. To the creator of each of those comics, it's funny. And alot of people find it funny too, so it's all cool.

I guess that generation of webcomic will eventually die, and a new one will begin. That's the problem with comic-related-idea-fads: It's a popular, it's easy, and it's good for a cheap laugh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up